Chapter 14
842 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Noel, do you mind waiting for me? We'll give the presents we bought together after this." Frederic said guiltily.

If he knew that this party was going to be like this, he would've told Noel to just sleep in his room.

Noel heard what Frederic's brothers said earlier, so he understood that the King and Queen were trying to find him a wife.

"Okay."

Noel watched as Frederic walked to the dance floor with Cecille. He was standing on a higher platform, so he could clearly see what was happening around the hall. Frederic and Cecille joined the dance.

What rough? He was moving very elegantly with perfect posture and precise movement, guiding his dance partner smoothly around.

"Noel…right?"

Noel turned and saw it was the black bear demi-human he met a month ago. Like Frederic, he was also wearing a set of formal clothes, but his militant aura couldn't be diminished. He nodded.

"Remember me? I'm Ziev, a fellow commander. We met at Philgos."

Honestly, he forgot his name, but fortunately, Ziev introduced himself again.

Ziev saw him nod again. This little demon was as silent as always. He looked at Frederic on the dance floor.

"It has started, hasn't it? The matchmaking event. Poor guy. Tsk, tsk, tsk." Ziev shook his head.

He noticed Noel was looking at him questioningly, "Me? These ladies are too high-ranked for me. How did my parents even get the invitation I wonder. A small polite village girl with a bit of shyness is more suitable for me."

Noel looked at him strangely.

"What? Don't look at my size! I'm gentle with women, okay? They're fragile."

The corner of Noel's lips twitched. This guy…was a bit funny. And how could he read his mind so accurately? He wasn't even talking but they were somehow having a conversation.

Ziev pulled at his collar frustratingly, "These clothes are also too suffocating. I'm going to leave right after giving the presents to His and Her Majesty," he looked down at Noel, "What are you going to do? I don't think Fred can accompany you all night long."

He then noticed that Noel wasn't floating, "You can actually walk?"

"…"

"Why are you upset? I never saw you walk when in Philgos, it's normal that I thought you were disabled."

"…"

This guy talks too much!

While he was dancing, Frederic kept glancing at where Noel was. He was afraid that Noel would be sulking, bored, or tired from standing up too long. He should've brought Benny with him. At least Noel could sleep with it or rest on it.

Then, he saw someone pass by and greet Noel. He immediately recognized him from the pair of bear ears on his head. He thought it would be just a short greeting, but they ended up chatting.

No, chatting would be an overstatement. Ziev was one-sidedly talking by himself.

What were they–No, what was he talking about?

Cecille has noticed that Frederic's mind wasn't focusing on their dance although his movement was still immaculate.

"Prince Frederic?"

Frederic shifted his eyes at her and politely replied, "Yes?"

"Is working as a commander hard? Especially since you are also a prince."

"No, it is not. I am very much enjoying it."

"Really? Would you mind telling me some of your stories after this? I am very curious as to what things you have encountered to protect our country."

"After this…" Frederic looked up and saw Noel was walking away from his spot with Ziev.

"I–"

He then noticed his mother was staring at him. He saw a small purple butterfly at the back of Cecille's shoulder. He sighed and forced out a polite smile.

"Of course."

Ziev and Noel went out of the hall and went to the small fountain in the garden. Because he was already outside the venue, Noel resumed his floating. Ziev brought 2 plates of food while Noel held their glasses.

"Ah…Fresh air. I feel like my nose is going to be numb from all that perfume. Thank god I held back my sneeze." Ziev inhaled deeply and exhaled satisfyingly.

Noel silently agreed. The perfumes really were a nightmare. Not to mention, each person wore a different scent. The air was becoming a biohazard.

Ziev said that it was still long before it was time for them to present their gifts for the King and Queen, so he agreed to come outside with him for some fresh air. Frederic would also be busy with Cecille tonight, so it was better for him to leave the 2 of them alone.

Unlike Isabel, they wouldn't like the existence of a third person.

Ziev said he would bring him back to the venue nearing the gift presenting time since he also needed to do it.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat? Only juice?" Ziev asked as he sat down on the edge of the fountain.

Noel nodded. He wasn't Ortel who needed food to gain energy.

Ziev shrugged, "Suit yourself. This is why you're so small."

Noel pouted and glared at Ziev.

"What? It's true. You're so small like a baby kitten."

Noel was too lazy to argue with him. He finished his juice before taking out his pillow and lying down.

"You're going to sleep here?" Ziev looked at him incredulously, "Just go back to your room."

Noel glanced at him briefly before closing his eyes.

Ziev then understood Noel was probably waiting for Frederic to finish. He did say he would be giving the gifts with Frederic.

Ziev shook his head, "At least take out a blanket or something. You'll get sick like this. Demons can also catch a cold, you know? Fred will blame me if you get sick because of this."

He realized that Noel was already asleep. His eyebrows twitched.

He helplessly took off his coat and draped it over Noel before chomping down his food.

As requested, Frederic chatted with Cecille about some of the things he encountered in his missions. He then recounted the mission where he met Noel at the end.

"That was when I met Noel."

"Noel?"

"The boy with me earlier," Frederic looked out the window wondering where he went with Ziev, "I fell into an isolated tower and found him. At first I thought he was a corpse," recalling how Noel wrapped himself with his hair made him laughed, "He literally wrapped his face with his hair."

"His skin is very pale, his vitals are weak, and his temperature is too low. Anyone would think he was a corpse. Turns out, it was just his constitution every time he sleeps."

Cecille listened as Frederic strayed out from their initial topic and started talking about Noel. His face seemed brighter, and his mouth was curved into a faint genuine smile. Instead of looking at her, his eyes were seeing the memory he was recollecting as if the boy himself was standing next to him.

"Prince Frederic, I see it is time to present our gift to His Majesty the King and Queen." Cecille tried to shift his attention.

Frederic took a look at his pocket watch, "You are correct."

"Shall we go there together?" Cecille suggested.

"Apologies, Lady Elvestine. I have promised Noel to present our gift together. I will excuse myself first to search for him. It has been a pleasure talking with you. Then, I wish you a pleasant evening." Frederic bowed politely before leaving.

Cecille watched him leave in bafflement. She didn't think he would refuse her. She did hear him saying that to the boy, but she thought it was just to coax him.

And did he really just call her 'Lady Elvestine'? She already told him that it was fine to speak casually to her since she was younger than him and not to mention with a lower status. She thought he spoke very properly and politely because it was his character.

The Queen did tell her that Frederic was a serious man. But with that one call and how he ended their conversation was clearly him stating that their interaction ended here and then. It was no longer a wall, Frederic built a fortress around him, not letting her in.

Frederic asked the servants around and went to the garden. He then saw Ziev sitting on the fountain watching the stars in a bored manner. Next to him were 2 empty plates and glasses. On his other side was Noel sleeping peacefully.

Ziev noticed Frederic's arrival, "Fred, you're finally free? I can't wake him up, but I can't just leave him here either. Hurry and wake him so we can return."

"…Can't wake him?" Frederic's expression subtly changed.

"You forgot?" Ziev reached out his hand and Noel's energy instantly came out, "I can't touch him. How can I wake him?"

Frederic relaxed. He lifted up Ziev's coat and gave it back to its owner before kneeling down next to Noel.

"Why do you suddenly look happy?"

"I do not…"

32