Chapter 17
823 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lady Elvestine, I was not aware that you are here. If you please excuse me, I still have some duties to be done. Please enjoy your time." Frederic nodded slightly and walked away.

Cecille, "…"

She hurriedly caught up with him and reached out, "Please wait a moment, Prince Frederic."

Frederic turned around and timely avoided her hand, "Yes, Lady Elvestine? What seems to be the matter?"

Cecille clenched her hand and took it back awkwardly. She decided to be straightforward, "Prince Frederic, I do not know if you are aware, but Her Majesty has requested me to approach you with the intention of becoming your partner in marriage."

"Yes, I am aware of that, Lady Elvestine. It is a promise I made to my mother to meet you. I have fulfilled it the other night and I feel no attraction or any amorous feelings towards you. I cannot and will not marry someone that I have no feelings for." Frederic also replied in all seriousness.

"How can you develop any feelings for me before you even get to know me? We can spend some time together to get to know each other better," Cecille suggested, "Just one week. If after one week, your feeling does not change, then I will believe that it is impossible for us to be wed."

Frederic frowned, "Lady Elvestine, I do not think it is possible or necessary. I have many tasks waiting to be finished at my desk. I cannot waste one full week. Furthermore, I know my own heart. It is impossible for you to move me. I do not mind becoming acquaintances with you, but nothing further."

"Is there something you are unsatisfied with about me in our first meeting? Or do you already have someone in your heart?"

"I should ask in return, what made you so fixated on me, Lady Elvestine? We have only met just once in a short time that night."

Cecille blushed and stuttered, "Th-that is…" she took a deep breath, "I have fallen for you at first sight. I was very happy when we danced that night. I was mesmerized hearing your stories and became even more captivated when you defeated the intruders. Is that not enough reason for me to pursue you? Her Majesty has also approved me."

"What you are feeling towards me is just admiration," Frederic didn't falter after hearing Cecille's confession. He wasn't moved at all so he decided to shut her down, "I do not mind if you come to me when you need any help, but I hope you will stop bringing up this unpleasant topic. I cannot return nor accept your feelings. Then, I will be going first."

Cecille watched him leave aggrievedly, "Prince Frederic…"

Silvia and Diaz watched their interaction and looked at each other. Cecille has been hanging out with them these past 10 days while waiting for Frederic's return. They knew her feelings were genuine. They followed her here because of worry and to cheer for her.

It wasn't outside their expectation that Cecille would have a hard time since Frederic was clearly not moved on their first meeting. But they didn't think Frederic would turn her down so coldly and decisively.

He was usually polite although his character was serious. Not only to people older than him, he still maintained his politeness to people younger than him. But even they could tell that he was being overly polite to keep his distance away from Cecille and to show her he wouldn't give her any chance.

They promptly went to console her.

Frederic arrived at his room. Everything from that night has already been cleaned including all the corpses around the palace. His subordinates told him that almost all of them died from suffocation. He immediately guessed it was Noel's doing.

Without him knowing, Noel has been helping him. Maybe since that time at Philgos. From all the things happening around him, he might have used all his luck to fall into that tower and meet Noel.

He luckily fell into that one small window in a hidden tower in a forest. Coincidentally, Noel was transported there by his brother on the same day.

Frederic gently placed Noel on the bed and positioned him properly before covering him. He cast several protection spells on all the windows. He wouldn't let anything or anyone come inside his room except for him and Noel.

He went to Noel's room and took Benny to be put in his room. Even when he was at work, Noel should just sleep in his room to be sure.

"Frederic."

He turned around to see Kaius was behind him.

"I will be reporting the matter shortly to Father and Mother if brother wants to come and listen. How are Lapis and Lazuli?"

"They are fine, thankfully. A bit frightened, but after spending some nights sticking with their mother, they have recovered," Kaius answered. He looked at the huge doll in Frederic's arm, "But I'm not here for that."

"Then, can you wait for a moment?"

Kaius nodded, "Sure."

Frederic went inside and put the doll on the floor next to his bed. He cast another set of spells to the door. Other than for protection, it would also alert him on anyone who was trying to open it. Once it was closed, it would automatically lock itself and no one except for Noel and him could enter. He memorized many defensive and protective spells from the academy's library. The last one was usually used to seal a crime scene to prevent any civilians to come inside.

Really, he was glad that he was a militant. There were many useful and effective spells in his head that could be applied in times of need like this.

"What is the matter, brother?" Frederic turned back to Kaius.

"Lady Diaz just told me that you rejected Lady Cecille?"

"Yes, it is better to settle this matter as quickly as possible. I do not want to give any false hope to Lady Elvestine." Frederic answered honestly.

"By rejecting her, do you really not intend to marry anyone? She is probably your last choice who doesn't have that much gap in age with you. Once you reach thirty, it will be much harder to find a marriageable woman for you."

"Yes, Brother Kaius. I am satisfied being bound by my duty. If I am to be wed, I cannot take care of my partner properly because I will surely prioritize my work. Although I cannot give grandchildren to our parents, I will fulfill my filial piety in another form."

"…" Kaius glanced at the closed door, "Is that really the only reason?"

"…What do you mean, Brother Kaius?"

Kaius keenly noticed Frederic's body tensing up, "Is there already a lady in your heart?"

"No, no one in particular."

"Then, a boy?"

Frederic's fists clenched nervously. He wanted to refute it, but his voice was stuck. His mind was telling him to refute it for both his and Noel's sake, but his heart didn't let him deny it and betray his feelings.

He realized what he felt towards Noel wasn't normal when both of them talked that night about him being wedded to Cecille. The thought of being together with another person, to sleep with another person other than Noel discomforted him. Same with the picture of Noel sleeping with another person other than him. He didn't know what he would've done to Ziev that night if Noel actually couldn't wake up because of the comfort of Ziev's body heat through his coat.

He wanted to stay by Noel's side. He also wanted Noel to want to stay by his side. He wanted to keep being the only one with the privilege of caring for Noel. He wanted Noel to only accept his touch and presence. He wanted his arms to be the only place for Noel to be embraced and carried. He wanted to be the only one who fulfill all Noel's needs and give him everything he wished for. He wanted to be the only one.

For the last 10 days, he took the time to confirm his feelings so as to not mistake them for something else. But when he tried to find any excuse or explanation, he only hurt himself in the process.

At some point, Noel has become his only one.

For Kaius to notice it this early, he must've given obvious signs that he himself wasn't aware of in front of him when he hasn't figured everything out.

Frederic's silence was enough of an answer for Kaius.

"I think you have spent too much time with Noel, Frederic. Your obsession and attachment to him are abnormal. I will not speak about this to our parents if you fulfill Lady Cecille's request to accompany her for a full week. You are prohibited to meet Noel during this period, but you can appoint someone to take care of him. Do we have a deal?"

29