Chapter 103
107 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The capital - Jinhai

 

I wake up with a ravaged face and a plan half-formed in my mind.  It crystallizes as I splash cold water on my swollen eyes and go outside to find some breakfast.  The sun’s shining but there’s a decided crispness in the air which says that autumn’s really here. 

The city’s getting over the shock of the lockdown.  The merchant quarter’s cautiously starting to go about its business again.  Life goes on and so does trade. 

A servant comes to tell me that Madam Lei wants to see me.  She tactfully makes no comment about my appearance, invites me to sit and serves me tea.  “As you probably know,” she says, “No caravans make the north-west trip in the winter because of the weather and the increased danger of bandits.  So what we do in this period is arrange deals.  We’ve paid off all our debts to our suppliers in the capital and we’re ready to start trading again.  So I’m planning to send a messenger back to my old contacts in Emporium City explaining the situation and asking them to supply us again.  Then in the spring, we’ll send out the caravan.”

“What do you trade in?”

“We export tea and spices and we bring in carpets and dyes from Persia.  Now that Yao Lin’s a partner, we’ll also be dealing in semi-precious stones.  Ah-Lin says he wants to go back to Emporium City with the caravan in order to re-contact his father’s old friends and suppliers.”  She smiles indulgently.  “I suspect he’s finding life here rather monotonous after the excitement of the journey.  And the Zhus will be sending a couple of wagons with us.”  She pauses.  “You mentioned that you might have something to offer?”

‘Yes, indeed.”  I tell her about my father’s business and about Geng De’s difficulties.  “If we take over Lord Zhao’s business here in the capital, we’d have another string to our bow.  I thought we should invite Geng De here for a meeting so we can talk about it and see how our businesses might mesh.”

“An excellent idea.  May I leave that to you to arrange?  We’ll be sending our messengers out quite soon, before the bad weather sets in.  In the meanwhile, with the capital we raise from the amber and pearls, and with your contribution, we can visit our suppliers here and place our orders.  I’ll be taking Ah-Qing because she needs to learn about the business.  Would you like to come with us?”

“Yes, please.  I need to learn too.  And I’ll contact Geng De immediately.”

I send a servant to take a message to Geng De and then decide to take myself to the Liang house, just to check in with everyone.  As I walk, I’m conscious of a feeling of excitement about this trading venture.  I never thought of myself as a merchant, but this is an opportunity that’s too good to miss.  Shan and I are going to need money after all these difficulties are over.  I know very little about Shan’s financial situation.  I know there’s an estate, but I’ve no idea how much income it brings in.  The town house was sold after Shan’s father died.  His sister lived with an aunt and uncle and he lived in the army barracks.  I suppose he’s saved money from his army salary, but his sister’s dowry must have cost something.

Musing thus, I arrive at the Liang house and am greeted by Xiaxia, who whisks me into a corner and says, “Is there any news?”

“Of course not, it’s far too early.”

Her face falls.  I pat her arm.  “We might get a message in ten days or so.  I’ll let everyone know as soon as we hear anything.  But they’re all smart guys.  They’ll be all right.”

She sighs.  Before I can say anything else, the sound of a baby wailing rends the air. 

“Oh dear, she’s crying again!”  

Xiaxia darts off.  A few minutes later, the wailing falters and dies down.

Mo Jiang comes over.  “That girl’s a wonder.  She’s the only one who can stop our little princess from crying.  Good pair of lungs, that child.  You look tired.”

“Slept badly.  How are things?”

“Upside-down.  Liang Zhou’s been ordered to go to the army camp to help with the dysentery outbreak and the women are all worrying.  He’s going tomorrow with a cartful of herbs.  I’m driving.”

A light flashes in my mind.  “Can I come too?  I’d like to find out what the army’s thinking.  Maybe we could get hold of Bai Ping.”

“Unless he’s sick too,” Mo Jiang says.  “But yes, that’s a good idea.  Let’s find Liang Zhou.”

Liang Zhou, wearing a preoccupied look which I recognize from many situations in the past, is busy directing the loading of sacks of dried herbs onto a cart.  He listens to my request.  “Good idea,” he says, echoing Mo Jiang.  “You won’t be allowed to enter the area where the sick are being quarantined, but if Bai Ping’s in good health, you should be able to get a message to him.”

“Quarantine?  Does that mean you’re going to be stuck in there?”

“It looks like it.  Luckily, my wife’s used to me being absent.  And Mo Jiang’s here, of course.  Jinhai, while you’re here, go and see Ah-Lien and try to cheer her up.”

“How is she?”

“Improving physically, but moping.  A little distraction will help.”

Mo Jiang and I walk across the courtyard.  “Xiaxia’s been a huge help with the baby,” he says, “Li Lien’s finding it difficult to cope and Ah-Jie’s too busy looking after Li Lien and Madam Liang’s too busy with everything.  So if it wasn’t for Xiaxia, the baby would have been rather neglected.  And it takes her mind off Ren Baiyi.”

“Are they serious?” I ask.

“Love’s definitely in the air,” says Mo Jiang, grinning.  “It’s catching, too.”

“What…?”  I stop and stare.  “You?  No!  Who is she?”

He coughs modestly.  “Ah-Jie,” he says and a dreamy smile spreads across his face.  “She’s so little and so fierce.  I like little fierce girls.”

“She’s very courageous too,” I say, smiling, “And loyal and devoted.  Does she like you?”

He coughs again.  “I’m working on it.”

Inside Li Lien’s room, I find Ah-Jie bustling about and Xiaxia sitting with the baby in her lap, crooning softly to it.  Li Lien’s still very pale and drawn, but summons up a smile.

“Thank you for coming to see me, Young Master.”

“Call me Second Elder Brother.  How are you?  Are you sleeping well?”

She shakes her head.  “When I close my eyes, all I can see is the prison and that awful man who came to tell me Zichen was dead.”  Tears start to trickle down her face.  “I can still see his smile.  He was enjoying it.”

"When I had bad dreams, Shan told me that it's a common experience for soldiers who've been in battle.  You’ve had an appalling experience, you’ve lost two people who were dear to you and on top of that you’ve just given birth.  It would be very surprising if you weren’t feeling this way.  Think of yourself as a soldier who’s been in a fight.”

“But I’m useless.  I can’t even bring myself to hold my baby.  I can’t bring myself to do anything.”

“You have to give it time.”

“That’s what Madam Liang says too.  I just wish I knew that Elder Brother was safe.”

“We should know soon.  But I’d put money on it.”

A ghost of a smile appears.  “He’s a good brother,” she murmurs. 

“I’ll let you rest,” I say, “I’ll bring you any news as soon as I have it, I promise.”

She smiles, but doesn’t reply.

I go over for a look at the baby, which is snoring slightly.  Xiaxia heaves it unceremoniously up against her shoulder and says, “I’ll come out with you.”  The baby snuffles, but doesn’t wake up.

“You know, that horrible eunuch who came to get me, he must be the same one who came and told Ah-Lien her husband had died.  Ah-Lien described him and I’m sure it must be the same person.”

“Du Xun,” I say, remembering Yuan Song's words.  He likes inflicting pain.   “The Dowager Empress’s chief adviser.  We all have scores to settle with him.  Are you still practising your swordplay, Xiaxia?”

“Yes, Mo Jiang practises with me.  I don’t think Madam Liang approves.  Not ladylike.”

I laugh.  “Don’t let it bother you.”

“Would I?” she says scornfully.

On my way home, I reflect that Ah-Jie isn’t the only fierce little girl in the Liang household.

I’m back again at first light next morning to accompany the medical cart to the army camp, which is about five miles from the city wall.  Mo Jiang tosses me some nondescript clothing, together with a straw hat.  “Change into those.  We’re supposed to look like hayseeds.”

The cart’s full of sacks of pungent-smelling herbs.  Mo Jiang and Liang Zhou climb onto the box and I get into the back and lie down on the sacks to snooze, my hat over my face.  We rumble off.  It’s rather peaceful lying there listening to the sounds of the city awakening around us.  As the sun rises, a feeble warmth envelops me.  We pass through the gate with no problems, as Liang Zhou has an exit token.  I fall asleep, lulled by the rocking of the cart.

Sudden shouts and orders jerk me awake.  I sit up, pushing the hat back off my face.  We’re there.  There are tents as far as the eye can see, about a quarter of them quarantined behind a wooden barrier.  We’re ordered to unload the sacks and deposit them in front of the barrier.  Liang Zhou gets down from the cart, looking round keenly. 

“Will you be all right?’ I ask, a little worriedly, because the city’s full of rumours about how many people have died.

“Remember your studies,” he says, smiling.  “A person in normal health will recover in a week or so.  The problem here’s that the soldiers are weak because of the poor rations they’ve been getting.  Good feeding, plenty of fluids, and herbs to bring down the fever should do it.  But we’ll have to boil all the water, wash our hands constantly, destroy soiled material and bring food in from the outside.  It’s a question of organization.”

From behind the barrier, someone hails him, arm upraised.  Liang Zhou waves in return.  “Take care,” he says to us, “And I’ll see you in a few weeks’ time.  I’ll try and send messages.”

“You take care too,” I say.

He seems eager to be in the thick of it again. 

“I suspect that civilian life is starting to pall on our good doctor,” I say to Mo Jiang, “Look at the spring in his step.”

We finish unloading the herbs and a couple of soldiers come out of the barrier and start to carry everything inside. 

“You two can push off now,” says one of the gate-guards, not unamiably.

“Ah,” I say, bowing humbly, “This unworthy person needs to deliver a message to esteemed Commander Bai Ping.  If he’s not sick, that is.”

“What sort of message?”

I try to achieve a combination of a smirk and a leer.  “From a lady.”

He grins.  “Always time for a bit of you-know-what, the higher-ups.  Wait here.”

We wait, Mo Jiang on the box chewing a straw and I leaning lazily against the wagon with my arms crossed.  There’s not much activity in the encampment.  The men are being kept outside the city till the disease is brought under control, though I imagine they’re all itching to go home after months of a bitter and futile campaign.  The mood can’t be very good.

“Hey up,” says Mo Jiang from his vantage point and a moment later, Bai Ping strides into view.  He’s thinner than when I last saw him, but it suits him.  He checks, recognizes us, grins, then assumes a severe face.  “Well, what is it?” he demands, for the benefit of the gate-guards. 

We move to the back of the wagon where we can’t be overheard.  “By all the Gods, Young Master Yan, you have a charmed life,” he says, “We’ve all heard about the escape.  Is there any news?”

“Not yet.  If they make it to the south, it’ll be some time before we hear anything.  I wanted to ask you about the mood in the army.”

He utters a crack of bitter laughter.  “Well, you can imagine.  The men are seething with resentment against the Emperor because of the unnecessary deaths.  This epidemic’s the last straw.  But the officers have put the brakes on.  Nothing’s going to happen till the epidemic’s under control and even then, the situation’s got to change drastically before the army takes action.  Especially with the Third Prince gone.  There’s no rallying point.”

“Drastic change?”  I look round to check that no-one’s listening and lower my voice.  “You mean, for example, if something were to happen to the Emperor?”

Instinctively both he and Mo Jiang look round warily too, because this is treason.

“That, or if Xu Yating took power – they wouldn’t stand for that.  No soldier likes taking orders from a woman and they all know she’s the one behind this stupid bloody war.”

“I see.  Well, that’s what I wanted to know.  I told the soldier I was giving you a message from a lady, so look lecherous.”

He grins, fumbles in his sleeve and tosses me a coin.

“Take care,” I say. 

“You too.  Both of you.”

I climb up beside Mo Jiang and he takes the brake off, clicks his tongue to the horse and turns the wagon round.  As we rumble away, he says, “I know that look.  You’re planning something.”

“I’ve got half a plan in my mind, but I need to work out the details.  And I need to see Yuan Song.”

“Anything I can help with, just let me know.”

“It’ll be dangerous.”

“So?  Life’s dangerous.  You can get killed crossing the road.  But you can’t stay in your house all the time, can you?”

5