Chapter 2: The Moon Cycle Hunt
89 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After their saviors helped them cross the deadly Lake Lands many moon cycles ago, Twalin and his mate, Lytosa, raised their daughter. Today was her thirtieth moon cycle celebration. Amongst Creegin beings this ceremony meant very little as they didn't follow the social structure of the 'civilized' beings many lands away now. As they prepare for their young one's Moon Cycle celebration they couldn't help, but feel a bit apprehensive.
Deep in the Lake Lands a four-man hunting party stalked its prey. Yutan, the large and imposing leader silently signaled the flanking position. They separated and closed in on the beast. It was a large creature with deep vermillion fur, it had long bloodstained fangs poking through the lips on its snout. Yutan signaled Urit and Magow to subdue the creature. They leapt out quickly, alerting the creature. Their long-spiked chains pierced its thick hide, the smell of blood permeated the air. The moonlight struck the creature and Aynilia saw its deep garnet eyes full of rage. A Redmane was one of the deadliest creatures of the Lake Lands and they were here to kill it.
Yutan leapt out to silence the creature before it attracted others with its loud cries. His golden chain wrapped around the creature's snout pulling it shut. The long vermillion fur stood on end in fury as it lashed in all directions to break free. "Hold now!" Yutan roared over the creature’s angry snarls. The three skilled hunter's eyes turned varying shades of green, the sharp bindings being wrapped around the hunter’s arms before they slammed their arms to the ground. The force of the Creegin strength was overwhelming for the beast. The sound of bones shattering as the large creature was forced to the ground.
"Kill it now!" Yutan shouted. Aynilia felt a twinge of fear momentarily before she placed her hands on her silver claw blades. She clipped them on her hands and dashed forward. Fear was replaced with pure adrenaline as she approached the creature. She dug the claws into the creatures’ back leg, the sound if tearing flesh echoing with every move. She clawed her way to its back. The beast lashed out as much as it could.
"Aynilia!" Urit yelled increasing his power to subdue the beast more. The snarls were full of rage as it started letting a black smoke seep from beneath its fur. Aynilia pulled her claws out and stepped back. the creature threw its weight to one side as she did this and she nearly lost her footing.
"Stay still vile beast!" Magow roared her power shaking the earth beneath them. The beast only grew angrier. She had to hurry and end this. She jumped forward and dug her weapon into the side of its neck. She swung her weight so that she collared the beast with her arms and stuck her other weapon in the beast's life vein. The shower of warm blood and the limp body signaled the creatures demise. Just as she was about to release herself the large behemoth collapsed on top of her.
"Aynilia!" The three other hunters shouted. They ran to the dead creatures’ neck. Yutan released his power and grabbed fistfuls of the blood-soaked fur. He hoisted the flesh as high as he could, the dead weight hard to move and the remaining heat from the creature burning his palms. "I see her!" Magow screeched diving under the hot fur. She latched her hands onto the only visible limb, a moon kissed arm. Magow pulled the girl partially out when Urit grabbed her shoulders. They both yanked her limp body out from its bloodied corpse prison.
"Turn her over" Magow commanded of Urit. He shifted her to her side and Magow slammed a hand on her back. The girl spat a mouthful of blood from her mouth and her eyes shot open. When she tried to sit up her left arm gave out. The pain she felt shot like lightening through her arm to her spine.
"Damn it!" she spat through gritted teeth. "It was dislocated. I will move it back. Urit stand her up" Magow looked at the younger male and his single nod of understanding. He helped her up from the ground and held her still. "when I tell you to, breathe in" Magow said calmly to the younger girl. She simply stared at Magow. Three, two, and one..."Breathe" she carefully instructed. Aynilia sucked in a sharp breath just as Magow straightened her arm and forced the dislocated join back in. An audible yelp from the girl confirmed it was back in. The pain dulled to an annoying ache.
"Congrats Aynilia! You've completed your Moon Cycle Hunt!" Urit beamed, his large smile seeming to split his handsome face in half. Aynilia grinned in disbelief that this was her legendary hunt. "Congratulations young one. Now we need to pull this meat sack back before it spoils" Yutan said sternly. They all nodded and holstered their weapons. The thick chain bindings they pulled out was attached to each leg. With their Creegin strength they pulled the massive dead creature back home. Aynilia was now of age in the Creegin lands and with second most legendary kill since Yutan himself many moon cycles ago.
The girl had no idea the celebration would be one to remember for an entirely different reason.

1