Chapter 13: Safe for Now
80 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hello! Hello! I would like to thank everyone that has read this far into my story. You guys are wonderful. If you are enjoying the story please, please, please love the chapters and rate the story. If you have anything you want to say about the characters/ chapters or if your simply think I have not added enough detail, than go ahead and leave a comment. I appreciate the support I have so far and would love to hear from you guys! <3 Blue

Cranis leaned his head against the wall and took a deep breath. He couldn't figure out why he was so worried about this girl or why he was so worried about running from her at the same time. With a shake of his head he marched down the hall back toward the Throne Room. After a few minutes of walking and turning corners he approached the doors. Two attendants standing at the doors pushed the doors open for him and he marched in. Before him was a raised pedestal with three large thrones on it. The room was lit by bright white fire in shining metal braziers hanging from the walls. Cranis straightened his shoulders as he approached the woman clad in glistening golden jewelry. Her head was resting against her hand as her unreadable expression bore a hole through Cranis. As he approached her throne she shifted to an upright position, her neutral expression never changing. As her hand rested on the arm of her throne and her long red talon like nails tapped in annoyance.
"You have been absent from my sight for two phases. Explain" her cold tone bellowed across the room. Cranis halted his approach as he realized his mother was furious by his absence. Anyone who had served alongside the Matron long enough knew that this is the calm before the storm. "Mother" he tried to keep his voice steady as he kneeled down training his eyes on the floor. Her dark crimson eyes burned into him from her place upon the throne. "I have been investigating the events of the feast" he tried to begin to explain.
"You have been watching over that lowly being since the feast. Do you think you can fool me in my own palace?" the accusation cut through Cranis and stunned him. He did not know how to backtrack out of this. "Mother..."
"This is quite enough you two" a low and commanding voice rang through the hall. Both Cranis and the Matron Tulas looked in the direction of the voice. Tulas became flustered and agitated when her eyes fell on an Elder approaching Cranis's side.
"Elder Valkon what brings you to the palace?" Tulas forced her voice to sound level.
"I come to speak about the Creegin girl in the tournament" Valkon placed his hands behind his back, his gray-blue eyes scanning the Matron before him. He could see her jaw clenched and the crease in her brow. "You have received the report from the night of the feast" Tulas spoke low, her agitation becoming more obvious. "Where is the boy who served the food? The report conveniently left him out" Valkon pulled a rolled-up piece of parchment from his sleeve as he pulled his hands from behind his back. Cranis remained kneeling while looking up at the Elder in confusion. "After some digging my men found a list of servants who worked the main hall the night of the feast. All have been found except for one boy. Where is he?" Valkon was unrolling the parchment his eyes quickly trailing down.
"He disappeared after the feast. My men could not find him" Tulas hesitated speaking, her teeth remaining clenched.
"Is that so? My report says he was found dead the same night, torn limb from limb and scattered outside the city" Valkon's eyes narrowed as they eyed the Matron's surprised face. "The truth Tulas, tell me the truth before I find it out for myself" his voice became a low growl as his eyes shifted to a piercing blue. Cranis took the opportunity to look up at his mother who was struck with a moment of fear before recollecting herself. "I had him killed for treason. My men told me that he had poisoned her food in order to provoke her to kill me that night while my guard was down" the lie was quick to come from her mouth. Valkon studied the woman for a moment who seemed to regain that sense of indifference she had whilst talking to the prince not that long ago.
"Treason was it? I knew nothing of a plot to attach the monarchy" Valkon's suspicions seemed to escalate the more he spoke to her.
"Your spies will not know everything spoken within these walls. Those master spies you placed for my protection seemed to have failed me" she spoke loudly as she stood up from the throne.
"Impossible. However, if the treason was within the servants then all of them shall be replaced" Valkon rolled the parchment back up and slid it back into his sleeve. Tulas clenched her teeth once more, 'damn it. He can't replace them all' Tulas was racking her brain for a way to stop him.
"The Creegin girl is attached to her two young attendants. I fear that she will not take well to them being taken away. They are taking very good care of her" Cranis spoke up rising to his feet. Valkon turned his head to fix his eyes on Cranis, "is that so Prince Cranis?". Cranis could only nod before the eyes of the Elder Valkon.
"Alright then, the servants remain within the palace. I shall replace my spies" Valkon starting speaking. Tulas had a small smirk pulling at the corners or her mouth. Valkon turned his back to the Matron and Prince before continuing his judgment. "In light of this new development, the Creegin girl is absolved of any guilt relating to the incident during the feast. No punishment shall be cast on her for crimes she was forced to commit" Valkon declared before leaving the room.
Tulas's mouth unclenched and dropped open. She had wanted to punish the girl, but now even the Elders were stepping in for her. Cranis turned back to his mother and observed her dumbstruck face. She stepped back and sat back down on the throne, almost in a daze.
"Mother..." the word came out slowly, but was abruptly cut off with a loud command "get out!". Tulas had fixed her flaming eyes on Cranis glaring daggers at the Prince before her. A shudder momentarily ran through his body as he nodded and turned on his heel and left.
Once the doors closed behind him, he let out a sigh of relief. "I need to go check on her" he whispered heading back down the twists and returning once again to a familiar door. He paused with his hand on the knob when he heard Aynilia's shocked voice shout, " I attacked the Matron?!".
"Yes. But you were drugged when it happened, they are looking for the boy who poisoned your food" one of the young voices replied. "I am going to be killed for this! For something I had no control over!" her shouts became desperate as her voice cracked. Cranis released the handle and lightly knocked on the door. He heard feet shuffling around before the door was opened. One of the attendant's peeked out before opening the door and bowing, "Prince Cranis" she greeted as she stepped aside allowing him to step inside.
He met the teary eyes of the white-haired girl sitting up in the bed.
"There is no need to worry about that. After some investigation you have been absolved of any guilt in the incident" Cranis said in a soothing voice not able to break her gaze. He watched as her eyes widened before casting them down to the bed.
"Yes, I guess I am safe for now" she mumbled lowly, her hair hiding whatever emotion was on her face.

 

1