Chapter 4 – Assistant Yuan Yu is Probably in Danger (1)
135 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Su Jia leaned into her cellphone, her eyes flashing with disgust at the familiar voice on the other side of the line. She hurriedly ushered her assistant out of the room, pinching her nose in between her fingers to relieve the sudden headache that had appeared.

“Why are you contacting me, Lao Yang?”

“It’s business, business!” Lao Yang explained with a laugh, clearly delighted at her perturbed attitude. After a moment, he dropped his enigmatic voice to a low and intimate whisper. “Unless you wanted it to be something different?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” She dismissed him coldly, but didn’t make to hang up the phone. To be in contact with Lao Yang, the genius software developer, wasn’t something she could easily throw away, regardless of her personal feelings. “Are you looking for work?”

“Well, something like that. I have a demo that I wanted to show you.”

“Fine, just bring it in whenever.” She sighed heavily, mindlessly sorting the documents on her desk to take her mind off of past events. “Did you need anything else?”

“I was thinking that since you filed for divorce, the two of us could grab dinner and–”

Su Jia ruthlessly tapped a button to end the call, growling out a few complaints under her breath.

“Chi Yumeng, come back in!” She called hoarsely for her assistant, sneering as she hurriedly blocked his number from her phone. As a startled Chi Yumeng poked her head back into the room, Su Jia shook her head clear of her annoyance.

“What is it, Miss Su?” The little assistant cursed whoever had put her boss in a bad mood in her heart. Why did so many people want to make her life difficult? This job used to be so simple and easy!

“Inform the front desk that a person will be visiting by the name of Lao Yang. He’s to be sent straight up to my office, don’t delay him.” Su Jia explained carefully, evening out her tone as she spoke to restrain her disgust. “He’s an important contractor.”

“Lao Yang?” Chi Yumeng seemed taken aback by his name for a moment before nodding to her boss. 

How could the little assistant not know the name of the man that her boss had dated just before her ex-husband? Those two fought constantly, like fire and ice! It was to the point that no one had realized that they were even dating each other until Su Jia casually mentioned it many years later.

Su Jia didn’t feel like thinking about her ex-lover anymore, she consciously pushed any and all thoughts relating to that despicable man to the side. Returning her thoughts to the ongoing battle to crush the other man in her life, she felt the corners of her lips turning up.

“What’s the status on Zhang Industries’ projects? Have they scrambled to find other backers?”

“That’s correct. However, due to our pressure, no one dares to extend a hand towards them.” Chi Yumeng finally felt a bit of relief after the topic had turned to Zhang Li’s downfall. Although it was somewhat unfortunate for her boyfriend, she also knew that things in this matter were going well for her boss and she would be pleased to hear that news, unlike talk of Lao Yang. “Recently, it seems that Zhang Li has personally gone to speak with the head of the Fu family.”

“Fu family?” Su Jia was visibly shaken for a moment, only relaxing after she recalled that Zhang Li hadn’t previously had a close cooperation with that top class group. “He really is on his last legs. I’ll watch him squirm a while longer before I throw him a rope.”

“You’re not going to crush him completely?” The little assistant asked cautiously, well aware of her boss’ ruthless personality. No doubt, being offered salvation was only a set up for a greater fall. She sent the crazy Zhang Li her sympathies in her heart.

“We were married for eight peaceful years, after all.” She said vaguely, spinning a pen in her hand as her gaze wandered to the skyscraper window. “He retracted his attack quite quickly, wouldn’t I be too petty if I went any farther than that?”

“That’s not what you were saying earlier today…” Chi Yumeng kept her words quietly to herself, clearing her throat and forcing a smile. “That’s very forgiving of you, Miss Su.”

Since Su Jia had spoken to the only other man that she hated more than Zhang Li at this moment, her anger towards her ex-husband had already cooled a lot. After all, Zhang Li’s behavior was one incident over a long time of displaying a calm and tender appearance, it left less of an impression than the man that she had fought tooth and nail with during their time together.

“Anyways, we’re not there yet. Let’s push him a bit more over the edge.” Su Jia shrugged and pulled up some emails on her computer. “Xiao Lin is working on a new project already? He’s only been at the R&D department for an hour or so… It seems everyone down there is praising my decision to send him. As expected of my brother, I suppose.”

Chi Yumeng felt an inexplicable sense of wrongness at the mention of Su Lin. After a moment, she calmed herself by remembering his true nature. So what if he received a bit of recognition right now? In the end, he’s still that haughty man without a hint of common sense.

“Would you like me to go down and survey the situation?” She couldn’t help herself from asking her boss, doing her upmost to appear indifferent to the matter. 

After getting to know the true Su Lin, the man had left a shadow in her heart that caused her to doubt him at every opportunity, she naturally couldn’t hold back her curiosity after his mask seemed to have gotten stronger than before.

“Alright. Don’t forget to tell the front desk about Lao Yang.” Su Jia paid no attention to her assistant’s strange attitude, waving her away with a hand.

As Chi Yumeng stepped out of the office, she felt a crushing sense of exhaustion.

“Babe, don’t lose your job. I want to quit work and be a housewife…” She hurriedly texted her boyfriend with empty eyes, her heart stinging from having to work overtime everyday.

“We’re not even married, don’t say such scary things!!”

Although her boyfriend’s response was immediate, she only felt even more tired after reading it. What’s so bad about marrying her, huh? This guy is only ever scared or rude... Chi Yumeng sighed and put her phone back in her pocket, heading to the elevator with a gloomy aura.

“Are you alright?” A charming voice abruptly brought Chi Yumeng out of her daze, her gaze meeting with a handsome youth stepping out of the elevator. “You look a bit pale.”

“L-L-Lao Yang!” Chi Yumeng stuttered unintelligibly, drawing the curious looks of the employees filing out of the elevator. It’s only been a short time since he contacted Su Jia, how could he already be here and have even gotten past the front desk!?

“Haha, that’s me.” He laughed happily at her shocked reaction, pointing to himself with a smile overflowing with satisfaction. “Were you expecting me? Do you mind leading me to Su Jia’s office?”

“Of course.” The little assistant fixed her expression immediately and cleared her throat as though nothing had happened. “Miss Su will be overjoyed to see you.”

“That seems unlikely?”

Chi Yumeng smiled wordlessly at his words and led him back to the office she had just left, knocking and informing her boss before letting him in.

Since Lao Yang has stopped by to talk to Su Jia, there was absolutely no way that Su Jia would leave work on time today. This boss of hers was very predictable, working whenever she was angry or wronged.

“Overtime pay, overtime pay, overtime pay…” The little assistant repeated that same line a few times for courage and again went off to continue her duties.

 

I’ll try and upload a chapter or two every few days, but I’m not sure yet if I’ll actually stick to it. Let’s find out together?

Assistant Chi is working hard as always. As a working person, I also feel that pain! Please just let me go home when my work is done!

Thanks for reading, see you all next time~

5