Chapter 18 – Troubled Roads
541 19 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a bit past midday as I finally exited the woods. Sen had taken residency in my pocket for the rest of the walk. Her cute little grumbles and exclamations as she looked at the creatures in the area that came close to us kept my heart more at ease than it would have otherwise. 

I was excited to see that the road that Inza mentioned was close enough to be within eyeshot now that I had cleared the trees. A quick few paces and I had made it to the road. With a grin spread across my face, I placed my first step on the road. This was the next leg of my new journey. I had made it this far already, and without incident at that. 

I was happy that at least I could do this much on my own. I had never walked so much in one day before, and yet I had managed it without much hassle at all. It was a little strange that I wasn’t tired. I should be a little sore at least, but I still had plenty of energy left. I could probably make some good distance before I had to stop for the night. 

All I had to do was head north from here to make my way towards the city Inza had said I should aim for. I wonder if there will be any rest spots on the way. It would be a good idea to find one of them at least if the city is too far away to make it before nightfall. 

Alright, now Inza said to just head north to find the city. Right. North… north. Which… way was north? 

I had never been taught much of any traveling skills, nor had I ever had the need for them. I spent most of my youth learning housework and how to tend to plants and animals, and never did leave the village until I was forcibly taken during the demon war. After that, I only traveled by carriage and ended up back in Hefka Village. 

My heart started to race now. I didn’t know which way to go from here. I could just take a coin flip and start walking until I found someone to ask, but who knows how far away I could get if I went in the wrong direction. I didn’t know how frequently traveled this road was. It could be weeks until someone used it for all I know with nothing in one direction for ages. Time was of the essence according to Inza, so I couldn’t waste time going the wrong way for days on end.

Before I started to more seriously panic, my ears were met with the sound of hooves clopping on dirt. I felt some relief that I could just ask someone before I made a costly mistake. I turned toward the source of the noise and could only tilt my head to the side at what I saw. 

It was a normal enough wagon of some merchant type that I saw, but what surprised me was how far away they were. The wagon was easily hundreds or maybe even thousands of paces away. There should be no way I can hear it from this distance. Now that I was focusing on it as well, I could plainly see the man on the drivers bench. A portly older fellow with a wide brimmed hat and neatly made yet simple set of brown clothes sat calmly, holding the reins for the horses firmly in his hands. I could even clearly make out the waterskin and dagger on his belt. 

While I couldn’t really make sense of how it was possible for me to see and hear such things, I concluded that it wasn’t going to help me much for now. It was best for me at this moment to just wait where I was and ask directions of the man as he passed by me. 

Several minutes passed before he even acknowledged me. I patiently stood on one side of the road nearest the forest, and his eyes fell on me from still a ways away. He didn’t make much motion besides looking at my form in the distance until he came close enough to be within what normal people would consider earshot, where he slowed his horses to a stop and addressed me. 

“Missy, what are you doing standin’ all alone on the edge of some road in the middle o’ nowhere?” The man took off his hat as he spoke and looked me up and down. I hope that I wasn’t dressed weirdly for his sensibilities. 

“I was actually a little lost just now. I was intending to head north to a city, but realized I didn’t know which way to go.” I glanced away at the distance, embarrassed by my lack of knowledge. 

“What’re you talkin’ ‘bout? The road only goes one way for three days of travel until you reach Lixum. You mean to tell me that ya got lost halfway there? How did ya even get this far?” He sat forward in his seat, leering at me like I was some great fool. Well, I did come this far without even knowing which way was north.

I couldn’t very well meet his gaze, though he stared at me so intently. I thought it best to just be honest in this situation. “Well, I walked. I didn’t take the road, so I don’t know which way leads where from here.”

The man leaned back and laughed so hard that his whole body jiggled along with his wagon. “Hahahaha! What, so did’ya just walk outta the forest? You musta hit your head when you fell out of your wagon!” 

My cheeks flushed as the man laughed at me. I suppose my situation would definitely sound crazy to a passerby. This was fine though, I could endure it so long as he would just tell me which direction I needed to go. 

His laughter settled down after a moment and he wiped a tear from his eye. “Missy, I’ve not had a laugh like that in ages. Now, I don’t know what happened to ya, but I think I can help.” He dismounted the seat of his wagon, causing a puff of dust when his feet met the packed dirt road. “But I ain’t in the business of helping people for free. If you want directions, you’s gonna have to pay up.” He walked up to stand just in front of me and came to a stop.

“I have some money I can pay you with. How much would the information be worth?” I started reaching over to my bag in order to pull out my coin purse. 

He reached out and grabbed my hand before I could open the clasp of my bag. “Oh, a little girl like you prob’ly don’t have enough to pay for the services of a man like me. I think we can work something out though.” He reached his other hand up and stroked my cheek with it. I tried to pull away, but his grip tightened on my wrist painfully. 

“Please, I have enough to pay for directions at least. Just let go of me.” I started tugging away more frantically.

“No, your coin isn’t any good. The road gets awful lonely for a merchant like me, so I can take you along. I’ve got business in Lixum anyways. If you entertain me on the way there, I could just bring you along.” His eyes slowly scanned downwards from my face to the rest of my body. My heart shuddered that this man might try to force himself upon me. He wasn’t much taller than me, but his frame was huge. He was easily twice my size. I couldn’t hope to stop him if he tried. 

I pleaded with him, tears forming in my eyes. “Please, I- I can make my way on my own. I just need to know which way is north.” 

His eyes met mine again and I was filled with fear. My attempts to pull away ground to a halt. The look in his eye was all too familiar. It was almost the same as the way that Lorn would look at me. “It’s too dangerous for a girl like you to be traveling these roads alone. I’ll take responsibility for you, just let me take a down payment first.” My body froze as the hand not crushing my wrist reached toward my chest.

A whisper escaped my lips as a final protest to the violation that was about to take me. “Please, stop…” 

Time nearly sat still as I waited for the impending fate ahead of me. His hand didn’t touch me though. His face, which my gaze was fixed to, contorted in confusion. He looked down at his hand, and I turned my eyes downward as well. A ring of grass bound his wrist in place. “What in the five realms?” His eyes grew wide as more grass branching off went for his other wrist and had it bound. He tried to pull away, but could not overpower the grassy shackles that held him in place. “It’s- no it can’t be. You- you must be some kinda demon! Get away from me!” 

The blades of grass branched off once again, this time aiming for his neck. As the frantic and now screaming man went from pleading to outright incoherent terror, a determined voice came from the pocket at my hip. “Mama said stop.”

The hand that had since released my arm let loose a sickening snap as it was crushed by the grass. The man let loose a pained wail. “Please! I didn’t mean it! I’ll do anything, just please let me live! I won’t- GAH!!” His words were cut off by the sudden pressure closing around his windpipe. 

His face quickly turned red as he flailed vainly in an attempt to free himself. I shook myself from my previous daze. Sen was about to kill this man if I didn’t stop her. He was about to do something awful, but I didn’t want to be responsible for his death. “Sen! Don’t kill him!”

The grass that was digging into his flesh froze for a moment. “Sen needs to protect mama.” 

I looked down to the pocket where Sen’s main body was still hiding away. “You can’t kill people Sen. Let him go!” 

The air was painfully silent as several seconds seemed to pass. Then, the grass retreated from his body and he lurched backwards. His large body fell harshly on the road. Violent coughing and gagging noises came from the man now that he was able to fill his lungs again. At the same time, he weakly dragged himself toward his wagon. “Demon - *HACK* heading for Lixum. Have to *cough* *cough* warn them. 

“Wait, she isn’t a de-” My attempt to make our case to the man was cut off as he screamed back at me while climbing onto his wagon bench.

“You stay away from me! And don’t come anywhere near Lixum! The soldiers there will strike you down!” He quickly gripped the reins with his one good hand and directed the horses to pull. The wagon lurched forward, urged on by its frantic driver. It made it past me and down the road before I had the chance to say anything more.

I stood there awestruck. This was sure to cause trouble if that man started telling everyone I was a demon. Who knows how many would believe him, but if any did it was sure to be a problem. 

“Sen, thank you for what you did. This might be difficult later, but you protected me from something really bad just now.” I reached down to my pocket and rubbed the little head that was now sticking out of it. 

“Mama is safe. Sen is happy.” She hugged the finger that was rubbing against her head while cooing happily. 

“So you really can speak. I didn’t know that treants could talk.” I was truly more impressed that she could talk after having only been born yesterday more so than the fact that she was a treant though.

“Sen learned from the plants in the forest. Sen wanted to talk with mama so she learned as quickly as she could!” Her voice was small and cute. It was rather misleading that she was only a little doll sized grass treant curled up in my pocket.

“Well, since you can talk, we are going to have to lay some ground rules for how to treat other people. Especially since they are likely to assume the worst if they don’t expect you.” I could only really lightly scold her since she did save me from that nasty man’s advances, but she still did go too far. 

“Sen will learn! Sen would love to learn from mama!” Her cheery tone was amplified by the nuzzling that she did against my hand. 

While it may be difficult to keep her from being taken for a demon from those who don’t know any better, she is my cute daughter and I have to do whatever I can to make sure she is happy. That is about all that I can do for now. Whatever comes next, we will face it as it comes. 

This has come out a little late from what I intended unfortunately. I have been having some sleeping and breathing trouble recently which has not helped state of being. I hope that you have enjoyed this week's chapter nonetheless and have a wonderful day!

20