Chapter 8
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kiera, to put it simply, was a disaster. She hadn’t left Alex’s side except to bathe and change into clothes that she borrowed from friends. She couldn’t wear her own clothes right now. They all had either Alex’s or Becca’s scent on them and she couldn’t face that. Not right now. Many had offered to watch over him so she could get some sleep in a real bed and not a beat-up armchair but she refused. She was polite as always but nothing short of the heat death of the universe would keep her from her husband’s side. 

Watching the slow rise and fall of his chest while he was hooked up to numerous beeping medical devices was slow torture. Richard and Kyle stopped by frequently yet the past five days had been little more than a blur to her. About the only positive thing was that Carl had regained consciousness this morning. She hoped that what the doctors’ feared wasn’t true. Still, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t get past a twinge of jealousy at Marcy. No matter how bad things seemed, she at least had a future with her husband. Kiera felt like she was frozen in time. That her entire world had stopped and wouldn’t start again until Alex opened his eyes. 

She knew she was probably losing weight. What little she had eaten and drank tasted like ashes. Between Alex’s condition and the loss of her daughter, Kiera knew the light had gone out of her life. If Alex worsened and joined Becca in death, Kiera knew she would quickly follow them into the Goddess’ loving embrace. She didn’t know when she fell asleep on her crossed arms at Alex’s bedside but a gentle knock startled her awake.

A young man in medical scrubs waited at the open doorway. “I apologize for disturbing you ma’am, but I need to check your husband’s vitals. It’ll only take a few minutes.” As he walked over to the various machines and wrote down their readouts, he glanced over at her. “You know ma’am, sometimes a coma patient can still hear the voices around them. It helps let them know they aren’t alone. It might help Mr. Daniels. Give him something to look forward to when he wakes up.”

Kiera slightly smiled. “Thank you, young man. I’ll try. Any suggestions?”

“One of his favorite books maybe. Until then, I’ve got a copy of today’s paper in my back pocket. It’s not much but you can have it if you’d like.” He reached around and held out the rolled-up paper.

Kiera reached out and nodded gratefully. “Thank you.” She glanced over at her husband. “Any change?”

The nurse’s tone went into that emotionless monotone she’d heard ad nauseam when she asked that question. “I’m afraid not, ma’am. But his vitals are stronger than yesterday and that’s a good sign.” He finished writing some notes down. “If you’ll excuse me, ma’am?”

She nodded and the nurse headed for the door. He paused and looked back at her. “I’ll be back in a little while. Is there anything I could bring you?”

Kiera shook her head. “No. Thank you, dear, but I appreciate the offer.”

The nurse nodded and headed out into the hall. 

Though they were out of her eyesight, she could smell the Wolves waiting on either side of the doorway. Though she felt the protection might have been a little overboard, she wouldn’t gainsay Richard or his pack. 

Sighing she leaned back in her chair. She thought about what the nurse had said. He was right. I need to do something. I’m a Regent damn it and I need to start acting like it. She reached over and ran her fingers through Alex’s thinning hair. She trailed the touch down his cheek. She then pressed her fingers to her lips, wetted them, and placed them on his. She leaned over to his right ear. “I love you, Alexander Daniels. Please come back to me.”

She unrolled the paper and started reading the front page to him. As she went through the various articles, she would pause and offer a comment or two. Feels almost like our Sunday breakfasts. We each took turns reading the paper over our toast and eggs. Becca would then come running in, grab a piece of toast, shove it in her mouth, and run out the door with half of it hanging out on her way to work. I swear that girl needs to learn some time management skills. One of these days I’ll… Kiera’s eyes shut tight as she realized that she wouldn’t have the chance to correct her daughter again. She allowed the stab of pain to pass as she considered what she would have to do when Alex did awake.

I still haven’t told him. I refused to allow anyone to mention it around him. That’s something he needs to hear from me. She sighed. How is he going to react? Becca was our only child. I couldn’t allow myself to get pregnant again. I know he blames himself for that when it wasn’t his fault at all. I just wasn't able to keep another baby’s secrets from anyone.

Goddess, I’m still scared of what he’ll do when he finds out that’s not the only thing I’ve kept from him. How would anyone react when they find out the person they thought they knew had been lying to them since the first moment they met? I’ll accept his decision when that time comes. The genie is out of the bottle and this dragon needs to come clean to the man she loves. 

She had just finished the main section when there was another knock at the door. She looked over to see Kyle standing there.

“I’m not disturbing anything, am I,” the young man asked. 

“Of course not, son.” Kiera pointed to the chair opposite hers. “I was just reading the paper to Alex. You’re welcome to join us. Here let me put this away so we can chat.”

Kyle went to the chair and sat down. “No. That’s ok Kiera. Go ahead and finish. I think it’ll do both of you some good. I’ll just listen.”

Kiera smiled once more. “Thank you, Kyle. This won’t take long. Not much in The Gazette today.” Kiera resumed reading as both settled into their chairs. She moved on to the sports section, even though she knew both of them didn’t really follow any sports. She didn’t care. It seemed like a valve had opened and the pressure built up in her finally started to release. She would glance over at Kyle occasionally to see if she was boring him but he seemed to hang on to her every word with the same rapt attention he did when he would stay over when he and Becca were kids as she read to them at bedtime. 

On and on she read, her soft contralto filling the room as she let her husband know he wasn’t alone. She reached the business section and started with the headline: Proposed Amethyst Pharmaceuticals Construction Approved.

The name triggered something in Kiera’s memory. I remember this company. I catered one of their local meet and greets not too long ago. I guess the CEO was there too considering the amount of town council members I saw, but I was so busy I didn’t get a chance to meet anyone.

She read the article to Alex and Kyle. There were the usual comments about how many jobs the new factory would create, the expected boom it would provide to the community, and how it would help keep Derrick’s Falls growing in the twenty-first century. The article continued onto the next page. Kiera turned it and froze in shock for a moment. She felt a shock run through her as she recognized the thumbnail-sized picture of the CEO next to the text block. There, a profile shot of a woman with long black hair and a face of slightly Asian descent stared into the distance. The footer identified the woman as Lily Samantha Travers. But Kiera knew her by another name. Lilith.

She hurriedly looked up and hoped Kyle hadn’t noticed anything. The young man was staring out the window watching a bird flitter on the sill. She hoped he hadn’t seen anything. If she had given away Lilith’s identity to him, and he went to go on to do something stupid, she’d never be able to forgive herself. 

Kyle glanced back at her. “Everything ok? You stopped reading.”

Kiera frantically thought for any kind of excuse. “I think I need some water, Kyle. I haven’t spoken this much for a while and I’m a bit parched.” She nodded to the empty pitcher. “Could you please refill it for me?” Kyle nodded and headed for the hall.

Kiera slumped back in her seat, chastising herself for being so reckless.

Well, at least it seems I dodged that bullet. She winced at her choice of phrase, then started chuckling in relief. 

 

***

 

Kyle filled the pitcher at a nearby drinking fountain.

Time to grab a paper on the way out.

Noticed that too, hotshot?

She stank of fear. Whatever she saw on that page, it was something serious. The way she tried to cover it up proved it. 

Think it’s related to Lilith?

I’d bet even money on it. So whatever it is, we’ve got a lead now. 

Are you sure we should do this? Even after what we told Kiera and Pops? 

Yeah. They hurt Becca. They’re already dead. 

Cool. I just wanted to make sure because we’re about to do something pretty stupid all things considered. Though, if we make it out of this alive, there’s one more thing to worry about.

What’s that?

There’s a slim chance we survive Lilith and whatever she’s got. There’s almost an impossible chance of surviving Pops once we get back.

***

 

Kyle returned and Kiera finished the paper. They spent a little while later just chatting about nothing at all. Kyle glanced at his watch and said he had to get going. As he headed out the door Kiera called after him, “I’ll see you tomorrow then, Kyle?”

Kyle paused a fraction of a second, then turned around to meet her eyes, his usual smile in place. “Of course. Want me to bring you a burger from Maisey’s?”

“That’d be lovely dear.” Kyle nodded and walked out.

Once she was sure he was gone, Kiera slumped back in her seat. She had smelled his anxiety and heard his heart race,  no matter how outwardly calm he seemed. She knew his race quite well and the man before her even more so. All the signs were there.  She had tried to protect him, to keep him safe from a suicidal fate. As the tears streamed down her cheeks, she knew she had failed. She knew what he would do next, despite his previous promises.

After a few moments, she wiped her face and leaned back. She looked at the doorway once more and whispered a prayer.

“Good hunting, young Wolf. Please come home safe and whole.”

2