Chapter 18
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kyle exited the gas station and headed for his truck. He had parked around the far corner of the building and headed down the short sidewalk. As he turned around the building, he was startled at what awaited him.  Parked next to his truck was a gorgeous cherry-red 1967 Dodge Charger.  He saw Mark behind the driver’s wheel and Kurt was leaning against the hood’s left side with crossed legs. 

“Have a nice meal, Cub,” he asked. “I could think of better sub shops if you were in the mood.”

“Yeah. So what are you doing here? Come to make sure I really did leave?”

“Nope. Came to make you an offer. You help me fix the mess you caused and I’ll start training you so that you might last more than a second against your scaly friend.”

“Thought your orders were for me to leave and they were absolute.”

“They are and you did. I never said how far you had to go.”

Kyle fought to keep a straight face. “Sneaky bastard.”

Kurt grinned. “You have no idea, Cub.” 

Kyle crossed his arms. “Sounds tempting but just what were you up to in the first place?” He waved one arm open as he shrugged. “I’ve never gotten a straight answer on that and I don’t want to become a criminal.”

Kurt sighed and walked over to Kyle to whisper in his ear. “Someone’s been running kidnapped teens for a sex ring through my territory using Amethyst as the courier. I might let some things slide but sex trafficking, let alone minors, isn’t one of them. I’m planning on finding the source, rescuing the kids, and gutting the bastards responsible.” He leaned back and crossed his arms. “I’ll warn you though, you stick with us and you can pretty much cross off finding your girl’s body. That said, if you want to still take out her killers, you wouldn’t be going in alone. The Dragon’s Wrath always pays its debts.”

He looked at his watch. “I’ll give you a couple minutes to think it over.” He went back to his original spot against the Charger.

What do you think?

You’re asking me, hotshot? That’s a first. The wolf paced a bit and licked his chops. Well, it’s a tough choice, no doubt about it. 

Yeah. Letting her go or helping scared kids from abuse?

Considering we helped keep the sick bastards’ operation going, even inadvertently, we do have a mess to clean up. His wolf sighed and whimpered but then raised his head and met Kyle’s eye sternly.  I think Becca would understand and tell us it’s a no-brainer.

Yeah. If we said no, you know she’d slap us and volunteer to do it herself. You know what we have to do. 

Yep. We have to tell her mother though. I hope she understands, but she’d have every right to hate us after this. 

Want to handle that call instead of hiding out again?

Nope. You wanted to be a hero and heroes have to do the hard jobs. It’s all on you now, hotshot. 

Kyle looked back at the two men and nodded. “Ok. You’re right. I owe it to those kids to help end their suffering and I know Becca would want me to.” He extended his hand to Kurt. “So, I’m in.”

Kurt nodded as he grasped Kyle’s hand firmly while Mark widely smiled. 

“Ok, Cub, then you’re in for a hell of a struggle and I expect you to give it your all. You slack off and you won’t have to worry about a dragon skinning you alive.  Ayla’s always wanted to put a wolfskin rug in our bedroom. You understand me?”

“Yeah. So, what’s next?”

“We head home and Charlie gets you a decent meal. You spend the rest of the day resting up and healing. Then, come the dawn, you’re going to be put through hell. You survive till nightfall, we’ll see where we go from there.”

 

***

 

A couple of hours later, Kyle was relaxing on his bed. He’d been staring at his phone for the past fifteen minutes wondering just what the hell he would say to a grieving mother that he’d failed her and that any chance of closure with Becca would be gone. He had gone over a dozen different conversations in his head and he still had no idea what she would say. He’d even tried dialing Kiera’s cell a few times but he could never hit the call button. 

Frustrated, he slammed an arm into a pillow and growled at his shortcomings. Why was he being such a coward? Kiera had every right to know what he had decided and he had the responsibility to tell her. Why couldn’t he?

To be a hero isn’t always coming in the nick of time and saving the princess, hotshot, his wolf spoke softly. Sometimes a hero’s faced with an impossible choice and has to decide what’s for the greater good. He then has to live with the consequences, no matter how much they hurt or how hard they might be. This isn’t a video game where you can just reload a save file and try a different path. If we want to be the man Pops wanted us to be, you have to make that call. Otherwise, get in the truck, leave, and never look back. We made the choice together, now we have to take the next step on this path.

Kyle nodded. He didn’t feel quite as weirded out at responding to these internal conversations as he once did. Still, he made sure that he was alone when he did. He might have been getting more comfortable but he didn’t want anyone thinking he’d gone nuts whispering to himself, especially if he already had.

He stood near the edge of the bed and dialed Kiera’s number one last time and hit the send button. A few moments went by and then Kiera’s voice answered.

“Kyle, are you all right?”

She sounds exhausted. Can I even do this? This is going to hurt her even more.

Stay on target. I believe in you.

“I’m fine, Kiera. How’s Alex?”

“No change. Whether that’s good or not, the doctors aren’t sure. Right now, we’re just taking it one day at a time and I’m grateful for each moment. That’s the one silver lining I can find Kyle. I started taking the time I had with him for granted and forgot somewhere along the line how precious each moment is. I knew when I’d accepted his proposal that I’d long outlive him but I didn’t care. I’d have the memories to look back on and relive if I wanted. One of the advantages of eidetic memory, Kyle. I’ve accepted that I’m going to have to tell him the truth and we’ll see where the chips fall." Kyle heard the tremor in her voice. 

Her tone firmed up a bit as she continued. “Now, I must say that you running off like did was completely stupid. Richard told me you spoke to him when I saw him today so I won’t repeat what I’m sure he’s told you. I just wish you had spoken with me first. I appreciate what you are trying to do but it’s too dangerous for you, Kyle. Only another dragon can even begin to consider taking on someone of Lilith’s power.” Her voice softened like a warm blanket around his heart.  “I’ve no doubt you’d move heaven and earth to bring my baby back to me but, sadly, it’s just not enough Kyle. It’s just physically impossible.”

Kyle tried to get past the lump in his throat as he realized Kiera was unexpectedly giving him an out. He felt small for taking advantage of it but he’d hoped that it might mean a more positive outcome after all. “That’s actually the reason I’m calling, Kiera. While I was out here in Washington, I messed up. I messed up badly and a lot of innocent people are going to be hurt because of it if they aren’t already.”

Kiera’s voice went instantly alert and focused. “What happened?” Kyle proceeded to relay everything that he’d been through since leaving home. Kiera asked for more clarification on some points but she never said anything judgmental or became angry. Once he had finished, Kiera replied softly. “I see. I forget sometimes that not all monsters have wings or go bump in the night. I’m assuming by this phone call, you’ve got something to ask, don’t you?”

Kyle took a deep breath. “I want to stay and fix this, Kiera. I think Becca would want me too, even though it means I won’t be bringing her home. I’m sorry, Kiera. I failed you and Alex. You deserve better. So once I’ve set things right, I’m going to come home and whatever punishment you decide, I’ll accept.”

Kiera’s voice suddenly lost all trace of emotion. “Even if that means your death, Kyle Thomas Harper? I might not be at my peak but I could still kill you if I wanted.”

“Yes. I chose this path and I’m determined to see it through.”

A few brief seconds passed and then, much to Kyle’s surprise, a loud laugh echoed through the phone. “Oh, you silly boy. Of course, Alex and I would want you to help those poor children. Not only would Becca insist on it but I’m pretty sure she’d be leading the charge if she were with us." Her tone turned serious. "I know it won’t bring my baby back, and one day Lilith and I will have our feud end one way or another. Until then, I won’t allow innocent blood to be spilled if I can help it.”

“Are you sure about this, Kiera?”

“Kyle, not only am I sure, but if you need me to, I can even help you if you need it.”

“I’ll keep that in mind but I think everyone here has a plan of what needs doing. Right now, though,  Alex needs you more than we do. Though considering that night, I’ll definitely mention it to Kurt and Ayla if I think it’ll help.”

“As you wish, but the offer will always remain open.”

Kyle’s voice caught in his throat. “T.. *ahem*...Thanks, Kiera.” Kyle replied then he took a deep sigh. “It’s just--”

“Just what, Kyle?”

“It feels like I’m just getting off scot-free with you, that’s all.”

“I see.” After a brief pause, Kiera spoke in a tone he hadn’t ever heard her use before. To call it regal would be a massive understatement. “Well, to put your mind at ease, here’s your punishment for not returning my daughter’s body home. Are you prepared for my judgment?”

Kyle reflexively straightened his back straight as a board and nodded. “Yes, ma’am.”

"You will learn whatever this Kurt has to teach you. You will not only perform to his expectations, but you will exceed them, no matter the costs to you physically or mentally. Once you have proven yourself to his and his subordinates' satisfaction, you will put an end to this horrible criminal enterprise and bring justice to those poor children, even at the cost of your own life. Once this task has been accomplished, you will then return to me and my husband so that we may put our daughter to rest. If you shirk any of these demands, I will find you and put you to death in ways you can’t even possibly begin to imagine. If what you saw that evening is giving you nightmares, know that I am capable of so much more. These are my demands and they are non-negotiable.” She paused for a moment. “Do you accept your punishment or should I come to fetch you myself for your execution?”

Kyle answered immediately in a clipped, respectful tone. “I accept the terms and will not fail you or yours again. I swear this on my blood and my life.”

Kiera’s regal tone broke a little as she giggled. “Someone’s been reading way too many stories but I appreciate the sentiment, dear. All I can do for you now is wish you good luck and good hunting. Good night, Kyle.”

“Good night, Kiera.” Kyle hung up and got ready for bed. He didn’t know what tomorrow was going to bring, but he was prepared to face it. What surprised him, even more, was that, for the first time in a long time, he felt excited at the prospect.

***

 

After Kiera put her phone back in her purse, she took a hold of Alex’s limp hand and gently kissed it. She listened to the steady thump of his heart, smelled the fresh scent of his hair, and felt herself begin to come alive once more. She then leaned up to his ear and whispered, “You’re never going to believe what our son is about to do, my heart. Let me tell you all about it.”

As Kiera softly whispered to her beloved husband, she failed to notice a slightly more rapid pace to his pulse monitor, a brief flutter under his eyelid, and a slight twitch of his left pinkie.

2