Chapter 18:Sachihiro
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sachihiro

"You seem excited," I say to Ava as I meet her after nearly an hour of searching. I only later thought of trying to find Dustin, then looking in his proximity.

Dustin is the younger brother of Victor by Aurora, the village chief's second mate. Not as popular as Victor, less arrogant, but just as much a womanizer if not more so than his brother.

Aurora's first mate died in battle and she became the second mate to the village chief. Most women who lose their first mate become second or third wives in my tribe.

I think I'm jealous that Teá still hangs around him though I'm not sure I like her in that manner any longer.

"How was the Dawn Mountain? Meet any interesting maidens to woo among the dwarves?" She says with a grin and her usual playful eyes. She is such a breath of fresh air, and a constant. It's nice having such a mischievous friend.

"Honestly I didn't even think of that. Dwarves are just too short and too hairy for my tastes. Besides, I was busy. Check it out." I say wiggling the fingers of my right hand. "Got my hand back, or at least a new one."

"Did you ever find out what they did to your last one?"

"Yea, they buried it next to Harold."

"Did Om come with you?" She asks nonchalantly, I see right through it.

"He stayed at the mountain with a few others. But they seem to be learning dwarven smiting fast. You want Om as a mate?" I ask.

"What?" She asks too quickly. "We only spoke that once on the trip from the all-meet. I haven't even bedded him yet, how would I know whether or not I wanted him?"

She snorts her face red and walks towards Teá in Dustin's group.

There are thousands of us spread out at the bottom of one of the rolling hills of the plains. Youths from all six Barbarian tribes, the Norse, Vikings, Savages, Jotnar, Horse Eaters, Scavengers. Seven if you include the Saxons, by they have been on a decline for many years. Combining with the Horse eaters slowly.

The Dutch are too far away and no one associates with them anyways since they abandoned the warrior way of life. And gave up their Rage. At least that's what I hear.

The Savages have the biggest tribe and the most youth. From unblooded, like me. To youths that have never even been to a raid, I suspect some that haven't even had their first Rage.

The Jotnar have the most women, and they are all very beautiful. It's a little distracting. Some of their village chiefs are said to be women and it makes sense to me. I should definitely get friendlier with them.

I follow in Ava's path and am greeted by some of my acquaintances from the village. It seems Dustin has become the leader, no surprise there. I may not like him much but he is the best warrior in our age group and charismatic as well. To be honest with myself I'm really not sure why I don't like him anymore. But a man needs to stick to his principles.

I'm passed a clay bowl with red war paint by Freydìs. One of only two women I've ever bedded in the village. She distanced herself after the coward rumours began. I nod in response as I take my wool tunic, then my viborg shirt off.

"Here, let me paint you. Sit." Freydìs says as she pulls me down to sit on the grass. I'm conflicted but I sit and she adds red and white war paint on my torso. Her hands are hard and callous but delicate and tickling me. I smile despite myself.

"How have you been these few years Hiro?" She asks. I learnt a lot from her, heartbreak was one of those lessons and the most important.

"I've been fine. How about you?"

"I have been well. I hope you can forgive how I left things." She says.

I'm not sure how to respond to that. I thought I had gotten over it all but her touch has my rod hard and pulsing, to my shame. But how she hurt me has me contemplating strangling her.

"I heard you are to be mated." I say instead of voice any of the accusations on the tip of my tongue or beg her to let be bed her again. I'm definitely conflicted about this one.

"Yes. I am to be the third wife of Arnold One Eye."

I nod. I think that's for the best, having access to Freydìs is a temptation itself. Arnold is said to let other men bed his wives if he can get to watch though. I need to ask Teá about such rumours of cuckolding, she would know how true or false they are.

"I asked Ava if I could bed you after the battle." She says as my spine stiffens, the hair on the back of my neck stands on end and my hands get clammy with sweat. I keep my mouth shut, not sure whether I should be running away or nodding vigorously.

"She assured me she wouldn't mind, that you are not promised to each other or even intimate."

My skin is hot as she finishes with my face and moves away to look at her handy work. She is interrupted by one of her older brothers talking to her. I take the opportunity to look at her. She isn't a great beauty like Teá, nor a body like Ava's, she is pretty though. She has big breasts that she taught me how to please, a firm bottom and she is very clean.

Always smells like lavender and the things she did to me... I shiver a little and look away quickly as her brother leaves.

"I will see you after the battle yes?" She asks looking into my face.

"...Yes..." I say keeping my eyes downcast.

"Good." she says and walks away.
I breathe a deep sigh as I stand up and stretch my shoulders.

"Wow, I've never seen you so meek before. I should ask Freydìs for a lesson." A voice says behind me, making me jump a little.

I give Ava my best glare, which only makes her smile.

"She is to be mated soon. Maybe she wants to enjoy you one last time hey?"

"Let it go Ava." I say as I study her weapons of choice today. She has a belt dagger of course, a short sword across her back and an axe with a pole as long as she is tall.

"Poleaxe? No shield with a poleaxe." I say studying her.

"I will be standing to your right the whole time. That will be your shield arm yes?" She asks, seemingly unconcerned to be going into a melee without a shield.

I nod, taking a wooden shield from a pile and putting it on my back. I have a dagger and a throwing axe on my belt and a single handed war axe as my primary weapon. I love axes.

"I've never fought a battle with my left hand before." I say, thinking out loud.

"Good thing I'll be to your right then. You will be an adequate shield for my weak side and I will cover your back, yes? Here comes Teá."

Teá comes over as a horn is blown, indicating the talks are over.

"You guys ready?" She asks with a smile on her face. I shake my head thinking about how complicated this girl is. With all her insecurities and doubts, she still seems excited to be going into battle.

We double-check our weapons and paint as we all get into our pre-battle rituals. I go find a latrine to relive myself and use a few of the coco-wet leaves to clean myself.

They only end up taking 2000 from each of the five tribes. Ava, Teá and I are among the chosen. I'm relieved to see Freydìs isn't. I've never even heard of her going on a raid, though she is a few years older than me.

We congregate together as a village, then as a Norse tribe with the other villages, then as the Barbarian people. We move towards the chosen battleground and I smile a little as the wind picks up and blows into our faces. I look at my comrades and we all nod at each other.

The opposition is heavily armoured and mounted. Their horses are lightly armoured as well. The ground was chosen for its flatness. No one has the advantage of higher ground here. It will be a good fight with many dead.

War cries ring out from amongst the tribes. We shout out our challenges and clamour our weapons in shields. Everyone has a water-skin on their waists, I have two. Thirst during battle is one of the worse experiences of my life.

The horses start to trot towards us, then they slowly increase speed. The ground shakes as over 10 thousand giant creatures carrying armoured people rush towards us at full speed. The sight is terrifying, I grin.

2