102. The Turmoil
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

L considered Namkuzu's words carefully before responding. "I am unsure as to what you mean. I have no problems accepting that my body is that of a demon's. I have accepted who I am, and my new place in this 'game' of the gods." The Archdemon of the mind did not immediately respond. "That much is obvious. Just like the people on this world, you see your status and you accept it. No, I do not speak of your acceptance of body. Your struggle lies within your mind, and your soul." L furrowed her brow. "I know my purpose as well. After freeing you, I will continue to serve as Lady Protector to V. If you mean my occasional hesitations about his behavior. I am certain that will not change." L could feel trepidation in Namkuzu's voice when he responded. "No... that is also not what I speak of. Your conflicted feelings about your master are not the issue here. You have never...." Namkuzu paused for a few moments before continuing. "You never made peace with yourself. You still reject your status of demon." L's thoughts took on a steely edge. "I thought I told you I had no issue with my current condition? It does not impair my ability to carry out my -" Namkuzu cut her off. "I am not speaking of your body. Let’s... go for a walk."

The rest of the group had been sitting mostly quietly while they finished their meal. V was examining the material the place was constructed of, as he was wondering if this place had some sort of failsafe should they destroy the glowing orb imprisoning the demon. If there was, they might have to fight their way out, or even have to cut through this black steely material. Eika was tense, this whole series of events worried her. From everyone almost dying a short while ago, to this strange demon they were supposed to be helping. She sat in silence, collecting herself and her worries. Luna was loudly wondering if the food was different back when the demon was free. Suddenly, Namkuzu spoke with them again. "This is probably going to get rough. You... might want to be prepared." Luna continued loudly wondering about food while Eika and V listened intently. V readied his sword as he responded. "What do you mean? I thought it was nigh on impossible to get inside of here normally." Namkuzu's voice was grim. "Yes, but the threat does not come from the outside. Your companion's consciousness will be taking a jaunt far away from this place. This experience is not going to easy, pleasant, or friendly. The Archdemon of Honor, I mean her body, not your friend L, will almost certainly go berserk. I suspect it will believe that its honor is under attack. As you might suspect, this will almost certainly provoke a negative reaction. You may wish to be prepared to incapacitate her, or probably it is more accurate to say: try to stay alive until me and her return." V quickly got up and readied himself, responding sardonically "Some more explanation would be nice." However, there was no response.

Without warning, L suddenly seemed to be in a different location. She was standing in... ... ... It appeared to be the palace of the Emperor. Next to her stood an indistinct humanoid form. "Is this an illusion." L asked, her voice was especially hard as she spoke. Namkuzu's voice emanated from the indistinct form. "Yes, and no. This is the past as your mind remembers it. However, it is not exactly an illusion. Its... sort of like a dimension created from your memories that your soul is currently residing in. Your mind and soul are currently fused together, your body is still alone with your companions." Namkuzu pointedly failed to mention the risks this posed to them, as having L feel rushed would certainly not help. "This does not seem like an easy accomplishment." L stated bluntly. Laughing lightly Namkuzu responded. "No, it’s not. I am straining myself to my absolute limit. In-fact, the prison I am in is currently trying to restrict me as the power is leaking slightly out of the prison." As L looked at her body, she responded "Then why the theatrics, could we not simply use words?" After a few moments Namkuzu's indistinct body shook its head. "No. Based on previous experience, it would be dangerous for me if you were left in control of your body and its power during this." L began to question him, but paused as she looked around. She could tell what day this was. The way the room was lit, the arrangement of the curtains, the royal throne had recently been shifted a few inches to the left to accommodate a large gift sent by a ruler from over the sea, she remembered all of it. "Take me back." Namukuza did not respond. "I said take me back! How dare you bring me here?!" L's voice was full of hate and anger.

V stood there with a high degree of concern. "Is... everything going to be ok?" Eika asked, she pulled her ears down. She could not handle any more stress, she was already at her breaking point. "I don't know." V responded honestly. Perhaps they should restrain L while she was immobile? Although, he doubted they had the materials needed to restrain her, should she use her more exotic powers. "L is extremely disciplined. I doubt her body would go berserk for no reason. And even if she had a reason, I doubt it would affect her. She does not even break stride if she is walking directly into the mouth of death. Eika nodded. "Ya... she is like that..." As they waited for whatever Namkuzu was doing, V sighed aggravatedly. Again, he had no control over the situation! A powerful entity, in this case Namkuzu, had simply absconded with... some part... of his companion and he was given no say in the matter. V started to become angry at the whole situation. His internal monologue was cut short however as the air around them started growing cold, and L's body grit her teeth. V gripped his sword tighter. "Eika, I think we are about to be in trouble." Eika nodded as a threatening aura filled the space around them. Anger, pain. V could almost taste the negative feelings in the air. Eika looked over at Luna, intending to tell her to get away from this area, and head down one of the little walkways. However, when she looked at her, she cried out to V. "I think something is wrong with Luna too!!" Eika was worried that whatever was happening had infected Luna. As V looked over, he uttered a simple "Oh." Luna was on all fours, her food scattered on the floor. Her tail was standing up, as was the fur on her head and ears. As V met her eyes, he could tell that once more, a monster lurked behind them. Gone was the innocent, unaware gaze.

Sighing, Namkuzu responded "I am truly sorry to violate your self-sovereignty and bring you here against your will. As Archdemon of Honor, I would normally never consider doing such a thing. We are not in ideal circumstances, and this was the only viable option left. Otherwise, I risked your master ordering you to not die in your attempt to free me." Namkuzu was unsure L had even heard his response. L grabbed for her sword, but it was not there. "If you do not take me back right now I will free, and then kill you." Namkuzu gestured to the room, not responding to her. The room was filled with people now. Most of them in official military attire. All-consuming rage twisted L's face, a rage that Namkuzu was sure would have damaged him, if she still could effectively wield her powers. He silently hoped that her companions would survive her bodies reactions. In his current state, he could not completely sever her mind and soul from her body, he simply cut off her mind and souls’ awareness of her body, not the other way around. 

Without warning, blue fire started erupting everywhere. From the walls, the floors, the ceilings. The three of them dodged the fire as V spoke. "I don't think L recognizes us right now. Her fire will probably hurt us the same as everyone else! Make sure not to get hit!" L's body had yet to move, but her jaw was clenched hard enough that she could have probably bitten right through leather. Her hand had also gripped her weapon. Strangely, her weapon appeared to be burning her hand, as it did when others tried to wield it. Though, L's body did not really seem to care. Luna had expertly avoided the fire as she muttered curses. Eika had little time to worry about Luna's situation, as she also needed to dodge, but was more than capable of it. V fared slightly less well, he was singed a few times, but did not take any real damage. 

A younger L stood in-front of the Emperor. Alongside her stood the highest ranked military commander serving the Emperor, an aristocrat of considerable power and influence, and someone who's name L never learned, but was affiliated with the Emperor's spies in some way. The man with no name spoke first. "My liege, we have reason to believe that the bandits are being supplied and armed by the 'visitors' from overseas." Those assembled, Emperor included, gazed at the large sculpture gifted to them by the same 'visitors' for a few moments before young L spoke up. "I was under the impression our recent bandit infestation was caused by one of the southern kingdoms?" The aristocrat laughed bitterly. "You are right of course! Although as the months pass it seems to become more and more self-evident that those two problems are one in the same." The aristocrat looked over at the man with no name who nodded very slightly. "Although we are unsure which one as of yet, it is probable that one or more of the southern kingdoms are involved as well. We know that about half of the southern lords have invited these 'visitors' into their home and hearth. Because of that, their military might has increased three or four-fold, the new weapons that the 'visitors' bring are formidable." The Emperor held up his hand, silencing everyone before he spoke. "The issue of the visitors, and of the south is an issue for another day. The matter we were discussing was the protection of my lands and my people." The aristocrat bowed "Of course. To that end, I have been able to discover their primary base of operations." The man with no name looked surprised. Paying him no heed, the aristocrat continued. "They are based out of the mountains to the east of the capital. In one of the valleys among the mountain range."

The military commander tilted his head "So close to the capital? That's suicide!" The man with no name shook his head. "Clearly not. We failed to find them all this time. It is because we assumed that no one would be stupid enough to set up a bandit camp within arm’s reach." L nodded in agreement. Even she had assumed the bandits had set themselves up in one of the remote villages, or somewhere among the forests of the far north. The Emperor spoke again. "With this it should be easy to destroy them. Take what resources you need and see that they are finally put down." The military commander nodded, but the aristocrat spoke up. "If I may make a suggestion? I am no military commander of course, but it would seem like it would be wiser to have the military surround the exits of the valleys, as well as search for any caves or other places of exit. Bandits are very similar to rats, a million ways to escape just when you think you have them cornered. Young L spoke up. "My lord! Allow me to flush out the bandits, I will burn their hideout to the ground, and the soldiers can apprehend or slay the rest as they flee through the mountains." The Emperor quickly nodded his assent. No mere bandits could ever hope to reach the Lord Protector's skill in blade or the heights of her strength. He was fairly certain she could stand alone against an entire army of bandits, and come out merely winded on the other side. "Then go! Let the Demon of the North root out the filth infesting my lands." As the meeting came to a close and the throne room emptied, L was there on her knees in front of her younger self, having been cursing, begging, and screaming at her the entire time.

As quickly as the fire had started, it suddenly stopped. However, before V even had time to consider what that mean, he was slammed up against the wall. A spinning kick by L's body had happened far too quickly and suddenly for anyone to respond. "Guh." V spat as he hit the ground. Luckily, he was fairly resistant to L's level of raw strength. Although, if they had not been inside this small walled area, he would have been thrown off the side of the walkways, which might have been an issue. Luna had launched herself toward L's body at an extremely high speed, slamming into her face. For a moment it was all claws and teeth and hands as she assaulted her face, while L's body tried to remove her. V pulled a bunch of the bandit’s swords from his item stash, spilling them onto the floor. "Eika! Help me stab her while she’s distracted!!" Eika looked at him incredulously. "What?! But... but!" V charged toward L's body as he shouted again. "Stab her through the arms and legs! Immobilize her! She will heal from it later!" V ran his sword directly through L's right thigh. He would have liked if they were on dirt or soil, as that would allow him to try and pin her to the ground, but unfortunately, he was just going to try and damage her muscles devoted to locomotion.

Namkuzu pointed at something. "Look." L raised her head to look at Namkuzu. "You bastard." L reached for her sword again, but it was not there." As she had begun to charge toward him, she realized their surroundings changed again. They were outside the capital. Young L stood alongside a group of soldiers as well as a considerable amount of captives, bound and gagged. Young L had a wound in her right shoulder, it had been bandaged but was still bleeding. The guards at the gate seemed surprised at her wound. "How did any of these filthy rats manage to wound you?!" Young L grit her teeth through the pain as she responded. "They got me on the right leg as well." She lifted up her pants, showing a chunk of her thigh had been taken off. The guard's expressions could only be described as "disbelieving."  "It’s the new weapons the 'visitors' brought. They had a few of them. I was... unprepared. She grabbed one of confiscated weapons and held it up. I am not certain how it works yet, but it’s a projectile of some type. They simply aimed it at me, and the next thing I knew there was a bang and a hole in me." The guard's faces grew grim. "We had heard that their weapons were fearsome, but to give the bandits enough power to wound the Demon.... No one said it, but everyone knew what they were thinking. If the 'visitors' decided to invade, how could they stand against such power? Young L broke the silence. "Regardless, let us in. These prisoners are to be interrogated, and I am in need of medical attention." The guards nodded. "Yes, Lord Protector. We have to search the bandits first. The order came directly from House Oshu, with all the trouble going on, they don't want to leave anything to chance. Young L rolled her eyes, the nobility were always making up nonsensical rules. She could use her authority to simply order the guards away, but it would make trouble for the Emperor if she offended the Oshu family.

After an extensive search of the bandits, they were finally allowed into the capital. Young L order the soldiers to take the captives to the prison, the jailers would handle it from there. L made her way toward the palace, to report before seeking medical attention. As she informed the palace guards at the entrance on how she managed to receive her wounds, the unthinkable happened. What young L could only describe as a fireball exploded outward from inside the palace, emanating from the throne room by the look of things. She immediately ordered the three guards she was speaking with to arrange a response to the fire as she charged into the burning palace, directly toward the throne room. Huge parts of the palace were on fire, she also passed a few dead bodies, as she passed them, she noted their wounds were not born of fire, but of the same projectile weapons that had harmed her. The 'visitors' must have attacked! L was not aware of any diplomatic visits scheduled, but that was the only explanation she could come up with, an assassination plot was certainly the answer! Young L did not put much stock in the stories of spirits and guardians that some believed in, but in this one instance she prayed to anything that was out there, "Let the Emperor and his family be safe!" As she charged into the throne room, past the burning and busted doors, she saw one of the palace guard leveling one of the 'visitor’s' weapons at someone trapped underneath a part of the collapsed ceiling. With absolutely no hesitation or delay, the guard's head was liberated from his shoulders by young L's blade. Only a traitor would know how to wield the new weapons.

Her face turned white and her hand shook as she looked upon the trapped individual. It was the emperor, most of his body was trapped underneath burning wood, shards of the large sculpture that the 'visitors' had gifted them stuck out at strange angles from his skin. The Emperor weakly looked up at young L as she gripped the burning rubble with her hands and heaved, attempting to free him. Blood gushed from both her wounds, and her right leg gave out under the strain. "Lord... Protector..." From a keeling position, and while still trying to free him, she looked at her dying Emperor in the eyes. "My..wife... My... children. Lord...." Young L cried out in pain. "I can’t leave you! I swore to protect you!" She continued to try and remove the burning rubble from him, even as her hands started to burn. "Its... in your hands... now. Children..." The Emperor closed his eyes for the last time as Young L cried out as despair and pain overwhelmed her, the most important thing in her life, her duty, her honor, died before her eyes. She had failed the Emperor. She would not fail his children! Summoning up every ounce of willpower, discipline, and strength, she charged toward the royal quarters. Upon arriving, she found the aristocrat she had stood shoulder to shoulder with only a short time before, standing over the dead body of the Empress. "Lord Oshu?!" The aristocrat turned around just in time to open his mouth before young L disemboweled him. The palace was burning down, and with the traitor dying and the royal family gone as well, young L had little reason to care. She sat down and stared into Lord Oshu's eyes as he sputtered and cried his dying cries. The dishonor, the blatant lies. L could never understand how someone could be so...... so... young L could not even think of a word to describe him. "Damn you...Demon..." Lord Oshu uttered as the light left his eyes. L closed the eyes of the dead Empress, and prepared herself to follow them into death, when she heard a small voice. "Protector?" From underneath the bed, two small children crawled out. L figured they had been killed already by Lord Oshu, but apparently, he had not had time to deal with them. They were young, but as members of the royal family, they knew that this sort of thing might happen, that the life of royalty was both filled with glory and with hardship. Their eyes were filled with tears, but the boy still managed to mutter. "Will you save us?!"

 

 

1