9-3-2 Culture Shock II
427 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My friend froze, “An apology? You jest.”

“No, I am being serious; I broke the promise I made, about not taking risks… And, I am most definitely going to continue to do so in the future. So, I am sorry, for not taking things into consideration when I made a vow I cannot keep.”

Edith was silent. When I first started, it was clear that she thought I was making light of my words. Not just her own verbal reaction, but the way she’d crossed her arms and sat back in the chair. Everything about her body language indicated that she was uncomfortable with how I was talking. Of course she was.

Like it or not, we had completely different upbringings. While I’d only become a noble later in life and been raised a pseudo-commoner, Edith had started near the top of society. It was something I was aware of but overlooked more often than not. Even coming here today and asking her to call me by name sans titles… The fact that she did do that when I asked, was well outside of her own comfort zone; it wasn’t a product of the world she was raised in.

Despite that, as my apology had progressed, she’d grown more and more serious. Eventually, she shifted to a position leaning toward me, giving her full attention. That was good to see, as I only intended to do this once. This was a lesson I should have learned a long time ago. A lesson I’d thought I had learned. But something I kept regressing on.

“So, I am taking back that promise now. I will not be beholden to it, I cannot. If that means that you will cease being my friend… So be it. At the very least, I know I will have your loyalty.”

The room had gone quiet. Even Felicity had stilled, either realizing that something big was happening or having been told to stay still by Claire. Jacqueline likely knew me the best, and from the corner of my eye, I caught her regarding me pensively.

Well, that sounded a lot better in my head.

It would be unfortunate if things went badly, but I couldn’t keep going without addressing this. Was it the best time? Probably not. But would there be another opportunity in the future? Not one that was any less awkward. Edith remained pensive, taking in my words with the care I would expect from her. At last, she sat back. A conclusion had been reached.

“...Not fair…” Edith shook her head no, “That isn’t fair.”

I nodded my head yes without breaking eye contact, “I know.”

Sarala reached over and rested her hand on Edith’s back. At some point she had stood up again.

Feeling the touch, Edith exhaled tiredly. Far more tired than someone her age had any right to be, but this was her birthright, “...Then, let this be the last time… I use your name, Stahlia.”

I bit my lip and sat back; this was about how I expected things to go. Edith wasn’t going to maintain our friendship because she couldn’t do so in good conscience. That was what I’d meant when I said I would ‘still have her loyalty.’ She knew that if she absolved me of that promise now, while still claiming to be my friend, it would set a precedent. The promise had been originally made on a threat to our friendship, to break it now necessitated the threat be honored.

Edith would also know that she could easily lie. She could forgive me, she could say it didn’t matter, but that would irreparable damage our relationship more so than it already had been. There would always be a doubt that she’d never truly forgiven me, that she was merely seeking to use her position as my friend to the benefit of her house. Even if she would never consider it.

“I will not.” I spoke.

If there had been onlookers, then perhaps they would have been murmuring now, already working to decide what rumors should spread. If they had been, then my statement would have quieted them instantly.

I continued, “I will not allow that. I selfishly demand that you forgive me, and I will get what I want even if I must wield my political authority to do it.” I continued to maintain eye contact with the younger-looking girl, my first and only friend after leaving Ris.

Edith tried to break eye contact; I could see that her noble facade was beginning to crack, a few small tears starting to ball in the corners of her eyes. That would be my cue to leave, to save her the embarrassment of breaking down in front of me.

I stood, “Consider this my second and final apology: I am sorry for being the way that I am. I often confidence, wholly lack experience, and have a number of other flaws the least of which is my inability to avoid making the same mistakes. But I am also selfish. When it comes to the people I care about, my Greed is not to be underestimated.”

If I were to pick a sin that best described me, I would have to say Greed. Sure, I held a great degree of Hatred as well. Hatred for the gods, for Adroni, for the Hell Kings. Mostly for the gods and Adroni. But after considering all the recent events, especially with my Starting Gift, I didn’t think Hatred was the aspect most suited to me. Greed and Pride. If anything, those were the two sins I had the most affinity with. I refused to accept that my [Seed of Sin] was Hatred.

I’ll allow myself to take what I want because that’s who I am.

That was the notion I’d allowed into my head in the past day, the conclusion I’d arrived at as I washed Felicity’s hair. Edith was still struggling not to cry but I could see her lip quivering; she was almost at the breaking point. I didn’t want to push her over the edge, truly.

“I’ll take my leave now; Captain Benji is waiting for me. Please, accept my feelings.” With my piece said, I turned and left.

…That was a disaster.

As the door shut behind the last of my party, my enhanced hearing picked up the sounds of tears coming through it. I diverted the mana away from my ears, silencing the noises to give Edith her privacy.

Time will tell if those are happy tears, distressed, or something else entirely.

We moved through the ship in complete silence, heading toward my next appointment. My staff didn’t usually speak much unless spoken two, though Sasha and Jacqueline both had my permission to speak freely when they thought I’d overstepped. Their continued silence meant one of two things; they either agreed with me, or were waiting for us to be back in my own chambers.

“Felicity, I will need your help at the next stop.” Partly to break up the awkwardness, I began a conversation.

The girl started, then tilted her head to the side, “Felicity’s help?”

I nodded, “Captain Benji has two prisoners I plan to interview. Like yourself, they are beastkin.”

Felicity went serious, “You want Felicity to explain that Stali Neechan is nice.”

Well, you could put it that way I guess.

“I want you to wait outside, then come in when I call for you. I want to make it clear that I am not planning to sell them into slavery.”

Felicity nodded as her eyes darkened, my words drawing up certain memories, “Felicity will help.”

“Thank you.”

We soon arrived, as we were no longer taking side routes to avoid meeting anyone on the way. After all, unlike with Edith, this was an official meeting. Benji was waiting for me near the entrance to the brig and upon seeing me he promptly waved off one of the sailors before bowing.

“Your Majesty. The two captured officers are inside.”

I performed a polite curtsy of my own, “And these are the only two…?”

The man nodded grimly, “The rest refused to surrender and either took their own lives, or died fighting.”

“I see. Show me in, then.”

That’s unfortunate, but given the history, I can’t exactly blame them…

Benji lead the way past a number of empty cells and to a larger room. He knocked twice on the door, paused, and then knocked a third time. It swung upon and revealed a dimly lit space with a single large table in the middle. Facing away from the door, I saw two individuals seated at the table. One of them I immediately recognized as a Rabbitman by the ears, but the other had no discernable features.

Benji entered first and returned the guards’ salutes, “You are dismissed.” Then, he pulled out a chair opposite the two prisoners, “If the two of you would be so polite as to stand, Her Majesty Queen Stahlia von Drakas und zu Ris has deigned to speak with you as the highest representatives among your armada.”

To my surprise, both officers looked at each other and stood. Neither of them were in bonds, thankfully; that would help the story I had to sell. Taking Benji’s nod as my cue I entered, then seated myself. Considering the positions, I did not bow, nor did I curtsy or so much as incline my head.

This is going to be delicate.

The Rabbitman looked from me to Benji, and then slowly seated himself. His companion, whose species I still could not discern, soon followed his example.

“I had wanted to speak with the captured officers sooner, but casting that spell left me bedridden for some time… I overdid it for fear of my own men’s safety.”

Unlike with Edith, I can’t apologize, but offering them an explanation should be enough. Bonus points since it reveals me as the caster who instantly sank thirteen of their ships.

Revealing I had been bedridden could be bad; it revealed a moment of weakness. But on the other hand, it could also be taken as me saying “I sank thirteen ships in a handful of minutes, by myself, and it only cost me a week of rest.”

By their faces, I’d achieved the desired effect.

“Gods above…” The one I couldn’t recognize spoke first, and her voice revealed her to be a woman.

The rabbitman silenced her by kicking her leg, “Be quiet, Chesa! You’re being rude.”

Needless to say, I was somewhat confused by the differing reactions.

Benji leaned over and whispered in my ear, “The woman is First Officer Chesa, she’s a Mousekin who suffered an injury that amputated her ears; we are not responsible. The Rabbitman is Captain Enel. Their crews were mostly made up of the more passive species, and they had the fewest casualties between them.”

I probably should have read a report before demanding to see them.

Turning to the two of them, I waved a hand, “After today the two of you will be free to roam most of the ship; I’ll ask that you refrain from entering certain areas and assign people to watch you… Both for our security and your safety. If you wish to visit your crews, arrangements can be made for that as well. Once we arrive at Rhodias, I will negotiate your release with whichever country, tribe, or city-state presents itself. We are not slavers, and despite how thoroughly we conduct war, we are not conquerors. Not anymore. I know you won’t believe me at my word, our people have far too much bad blood for that. Instead, I’d like you to meet your guide and ambassador; Felicity.”

Hearing her name, the catgirl entered the room and curtsied to both of the prisoners. She was clearly nervous but was doing a remarkable job of comporting herself nonetheless. Both of them stared at her with wide eyes.

“I know this is going to be hard to believe, but I consider Felicity to be my younger sister, though the law precludes adopting her properly into the royal… family…” I trailed off; they weren’t staring at Felicity.

They were staring past her, at the pair of tails that were even now dancing back and forth nervously. It was Chesa who spoke first, breathily and in awe, “Two tails… Then, she’s met one of the gods! The humans have a divine beast!”

Enel gulped, and though he was able to maintain more composure it was clear he was just as shocked. I glanced at Benji, and he shook his head while subtly raising his hands to indicate he had no idea. This was something I really should have thought of before introducing them. To me, Felicity was normal, but evidently having two tails was not so widespread.

…This complicates things.

Next chapter will jump back to Nikita, and detail her initial arrival in the main temple. After that, it'll be back to Stahlia, where we'll have Tlaloc's return then have a talk with Franklin.

13