Chapter 24 – The second Prince
510 6 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

 

One of the guards went ahead to notify the coming reinforcements of what happened.  The rest prepared the carriages and dismantles the campsite. Katharina, me, and Katharina's head guard, Balen, are traveling in the same carriage. Despite us being the only ones inside this is obviously the largest carriage.

Katharina explained everything to Balen but he now has conflicted emotions when looking at me. He is most likely both wary and thankful for what I've done so far.

"So, that's it, huh?"

"Yes, so you don't need to worry about him, Sir Hermit won't hurt any of us."

"You say that, but didn't he attack us?!"

"I never attacked any of you though?"

"What do you mean? I was out cold, and not only that even my armor was broken too!"

"But does it hurt anywhere?"

"That!... No, I feel fine..."

"Actually, you should be feeling even better than before, no?"

That's just good the herbs are, probably fixed some slight back pain or something.

"Eh? Is that true Balen?"

"Ugh, yes I do indeed feel better than usual... but, could it be that you did something, Hermit-sama?"

"Mm. What you saw on the floor was not simple but, but blood filled with impurities."

"Ah! I've heard about experts that clean their bodies of all impurities, so they can go beyond their limits. But shouldn't that be completely black then?"

"Yes, that is correct, but in your case, I couldn't just pull out too many impurities at once. If I did that you would have to face strong heavenly tribulation as if breaking through your limits."

"Then my armor..."

"Exactly, I protected your body from some light heavenly tribulation but that wasn't the case for your armor. That is why it broke."

"You did so much for me, yet I dared to--- I am eternally grateful for your kindness!!"

"Don't mind it, I felt your chivalrous suicide attack on me for protection of your princess should not be left unrewarded, that is why I decided to do this on my own. In the first place this won't bring much change to your life at most you will have it a little easier in training for a short while."

Yes, if you believe this bullshit enough, you might actually have more training effects due to a placebo effect, but that is all.

"I will never forget this kindness!"

"Mm."

No, actually forget about today, please. And why do you have stars in your eyes, Katharina?! I don't need your admiration!

 

*       *        *

 

"Please come with us to the castle since you are already in the royal capital!"

"No need."

"But I have to properly thank you at least!"

"..."

"Please Hermit-sama, his Highness should be able to reward you for all you have done this time."

"Yes, I'll make sure father brings out some good rewards! So please!"

"Haaa, fine, I'll come after finishing."

"Isn't that too late? Finding people from the underground society isn't easy. Won't you first come with us?"

"No, I'm fine... Anyways I'm going now."

"Wai--!"

And I ran away quickly. Now that I came to the capital again, I should easily be able to teleport here from now on.

With my stealth abilities, no one notices me as I travel through the city. I wasted enough time with the princess already, I should quickly stop the dark guild before things start to become serious. It would trouble me if things got chaotic in Taluria. From what I remember the first prince is the puppet in the royal capital, if I stop him from doing stuff, the capital should be silent for a while. I could also crush the dark guild here, but if I want to do that, I would need to find them first... I should first go to the first prince and check his side out.

Climbing up the building I get myself a better view, the prince is isolated somewhere, a big villa with no one near it. What a pain to find...

Maybe I should've just asked, but I didn't want anyone to get suspicious. Actually, shouldn't it be fine with my current get-up? No, I should still take things with caution, my efforts only change my outwards appearance...

Hmm? A suspicious person is running around the alleys? I'm not any better as a suspicious person jumping around buildings but whatever. This could be someone from the underground, maybe to spread information to their partners since the princess just safely returned to the capital? I should follow him, maybe I can really get rid of the dark guild for now.

That... No civilians, only a few guards around a big villa... This should be where the prince resides. The suspicious guy is entering without the guards noticing him. Useless people.

I should stay outside for now. I get around the villa and search for the room where the prince is at. Found someone. The suspicious guy also just entered the room, so this should be the first prince, he looks furious. Even with a closed window, I should be able to hear what they say.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE CAME BACK SAFELY?!"

"I am sorry, your highness!"

"EXPLAIN! WASN'T SHE IN THE BLACK DEVIL FOREST FOR TWO FULL DAYS?!"

"It is as you say, your highness! But today she came out together with some foreigner. Some people heard Balen and the princess call him a Hermit."

"FUCKING USELESS SHITS!"

"I have no excuses, your highness. Even though everyone else who entered is already dead somehow she..."

"HOW CAN YOU NOT KILL THAT FUCKING BITCH?!"

"I am truly--"

"LEAVE!"

"...Yes, your highness."

Wow, he really is angry, don't destroy all that precious furniture... Whatever he is rich, not my problem.

"FUCK! How am I supposed to become the king if everyone around me is useless!"

What I need to worry about is what to do from here on. Do I kill the prince? Wouldn't that cause too much chaos? I'm sure even if it is the trashy first prince, he would have to look for a scapegoat, and with a prince not just anybody can be the scapegoat. I also don't want to lose my lead to the dark guild. Maybe...

"Do I have to proceed with the final plan like this?!"

I quickly teleport behind the prince while he is still not paying attention. I cast a bubble of silence around us and slam his face against the wall.

He is screaming, but there is no sound, he also didn't have an opportunity to see me.

'Huuu'

I breathe out and concentrate on my mana control. Memory Alteration. I call it that but honestly at this point, it's all theory, I obviously haven't tested this on humans, I merely looked up how brains work a bit and designed the spell. This will be my first shot at actually using it. The temporal lobe should be around here.

I send my mana through his head into his brain. Memories are stored and strengthened by enzymes. They 'open' and 'close' certain structures in the synapses of the brain. 1 This part is only half-true, don't take it too seriously, I have to simplify things a bit so it doesn't become some science book. If that's the case, all I have to do is 'open' the structures and never 'close' them. That should turn him into an idiot but keep him alive, that would still cause chaos but it should be much better than killing him. Maybe. Hopefully.

Today is not a good day for my poor mental strength, I'm really pushing myself with all this high-intensity magic. I open my eyes again, the prince is no longer moving. But he is still alive and there is no damage I can see or feel on him. I should hurry and find the suspicious guy so I can follow him to the dark guild.

 

 

I'm not sure how other people usually think in their minds. All this is written in the perspective of the protagonist you might find some of the thoughts weird like adding a word or two after evaluating something/someone. eg.  having "Useless people" or "Poor bastard" after a full sentence of thought. That's just how I usually think (maybe, I'm not sure I don't really pay attention to what's going on in my mind.) so I wrote it like that. Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know. (Maybe I should've clarified it earlier but... Meh)

26