CHAPTER TWELVE
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Creaking rattling*

 

    Sherlock cackled, racing down the road with Noodles in tow of the wagon. The wheels creaked but it didn’t stop Sherlock one bit. Jazzy skated after her, wooing in excitement at the sky. Pops had to agree it was easier on her feet to roll instead of walk and they were getting much farther. 

    The Pines thinned, giving each of them a little hope. Besides Noodles. He was fast asleep in the wagon. A huge sign protrudes from the trees with big white letters, ‘Come again to, Graveton!’

    “The city limits!” Jazzy shouted.

    “Yes!” McLovin shouted. “Hansford is just down that road! We can get home!”

    Pops smiled at the sight of it. The Hansford sign was not too far. Once they got there, they could go anywhere. They could get a bus and go home. It might be another five hours but home sounded so good. “Let’s go!”

    Full speed ahead they went, laughing all the way with overwhelming joy. First was Pluto, who disappeared into thin air and spat back out into Graveton screaming. Pluto looked confused as Pop’s came to a halt. She knew she had not been going in that direction. Jazzy was next and then Sherlock with Noodle’s wagon in tow. Sherlock was spat out without the wagon with Jazzy and soon Noodles came out after, the handle skidding with loud clanging. Noodle’s wagon came to a stop and he looked up from the wagon to see what was going on. 

    Pops went to the border and tried to go past. When she did, she was immediately flipped, looking at the rest of the team. “What the…”

“Are you kidding me?” McLovin whined. “Mold, dead fish, crows, Skeletons, Stabbers, and now this?”

“Ack- that was disoritanting,” Sparrow commented.

“Huh, what a weird way to stop us from crossing, also why in the depression did we stop at a place called Graveton?” Pluto questioned

“Starting to think we might be sacrificed,” Sparrow muttered.

“I would rather not,” McLovin told her. “I have a date with Destiny when I get back.”

“You mean a horse?” Pops asked. 

“Yes, but it’s still a date,” McLovin huffed. 

Noodles laid his head back down and cuddled into the blankets. It was not his problem at this point in time. He was too tired for their crap. 

“Welp enough lazing around, we gotta find somewhere to stay.” Sherlock suggested getting to her feet.

“Hate to admit it, but Sherlock actually has a point.” Pluto said standing up.

“Hate when that happens.” Sparrow added following Pluto’s lead.

“How mean!” Sherlock wined, sticking her tongue out at the two.

“Hey hey now,” Turtle said, stepping between the mess. “Let’s just get on going before it gets too dark. It’s already really foggy. Noodles is getting rest but we all need rest too. I know not all of us can fold into that wagon like Noodles.”

No one said anything in response instead grumbling or yawning as they headed out. Rolling down the dark streets in search of a place to stay.

    Pops stopped them to rest on the side of the road. Or at least charge up. Most of their legs were worn from running and skating. Noodles stayed in his little wagon while Jazzy saw how many starburst he could stack on his head before it fell. 

    Honk honk!

    They all jumped at the sound, looking over at the lights bleeding through the trees. Noodles almost fell out of the cart, puking onto the pavement from the shock. An old lady with a lantern turned around to scold the RV. “Oh Harry! I told you not to honk! You’re going to scare the poor kids!”

    “Sorry!”

    The old lady sighed. “I’m sorry about that.” She smiled at all of them, resting a hand on her knee. “Are you all lost?”

    “Yes,” McLovin said.

    “Just a little,” Sparrow added.

    “Dead most likely,” Sherlock commented. 

    “Oh dear.” Pops breathed in deeply before responding, “Our bus broke down and then our Coach went missing so we’ve been trying to find a place to stay. We’ve tried to get out of town to the next to get a ride but-”

    “Oh there’s no need for that! You can come stay with us. We were just making some good dinner. You all can’t be just eating junk food. Let us treat you. Come along. Maybe you all can get some rest.” The old lady noticed Noodles. “Hun’, you look pitiful. Oh you must all come with me. Yes yes, rest is all you need.”

    “Ha! We’re gonna die.” Sherlock chirped, “Yeah we’ll take you up on that offer.”

    “Wa-- Ya know what this is fine.” Sparrow commented then gave up on trying to find Sherlock’s logic in anything.

    “This is definitely going to end badly, but quite frankly I would like to get some sleep.” Pluto added her own opinion.

    “Well…” Turtle trailed off slightly, “Ok, fine only because Noodles really need some help.” 

    “Yep,” Pops got to her feet and grabbed the handle to the wagon. “Madam what’s your name?”

    “Ms. Witzhel but you can call me Grammy Mazel.”

    Pops cleared her throat. “Okay um… Grammy Mazel. Do you think you have anything that can help Noodles here? He’s sick.”

    “Oh yes. I think I do. I should have some come to think of it. He’ll be just fine. Noodles is such a strange name! Where did you get a name like that?”

    “It’s a nickname,” Jazzy explained to her as if that explained everything.

    “Oh okay.” Grammy Mazel led them to the RV where a small campfire was. “Take off your wheel shoes and we can get you some food.”

    “Hmm, no can do ma’am you see these shoes are the only thing giving me serration right now, I will die before I part with them.” Sherlock denied.

    “Yeah! Ours even light up.” Jazzy added stopping his foot to make it light up again.

    Grammy Mazel looked at them from the stairs before wavering her head, “Well alright I guess. Just don’t hurt yourselves!” She walked up into the RV. 

    Pops helped Noodles up the stairs first, leaving the wagon by the door under the littl canopy to keep it dry. Soon the others followed and they were in the huge RV. It didn’t really look like an RV from the inside. It was almost like a large house.

    “Is this place enchanted? I feel like it’s enchanted.” Jazzy commented.

    “Are you witches?” Sherlock asked.

    “Sherlock! Don’t be rude.” Turtle scolded her.

    “Oh! No we aren’t no witches. But the people before us were and they sold us this RV! Apparently they get a tree to live under. No, we aren’t witches but we are immortal. Noris, how many centuries has it been since we’ve been together?”

    “Aren’t we getting into the twenties?” Noris replied from somewhere in the RV.

    “I think so. Wasn’t it the twenty sixth last year? Or was that this year?”

    “I think it was this year darling.”

    “Oh I’m getting too old for this.” Grammy Mazel walked over to the kitchen and stirred the stew. “Why don’t you kiddos get some rest of there on the couches? Make yourselves at home.”

    “Yaaaay~” Sherlock cheers softly, dropping down on the couch like a stack of potatoes passing out not long after. Jazzy cuddled up next to her also falling asleep instantly. Pluto grumbled and clasped on another couch dragging Sparrow with her. Turtle took the recliner and Pops’s helped Noodles rest on the big armchair that was very cushiony. Pops found a rocking chair and soon fell asleep as well.

0