CHAPTER THIRTEEN
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Wheezing rattling*

 

    The aroma of baked goods filled the air, putting a smile on Pops face. She was the first to wake and soon after Grammy Mazel noticed. “Oh, morning dear! Would you like some breakfast?”

    Pops got out of her chair to join Grammy Mazel at the table where a breakfast was perfectly prepared with an assortment of berries, muffins, french toast, waffles, eggs, bacon, and bagels. “Yes please.” She sat down and Grammy Mazel poured her a glass of tea. 

    Sherlock’s and Jazzy’s loud snoring was cut off when Sherlock shoved Jazzy off the bed then woke up herself, “What are you doing on the floor?”

    “Gee I wonder.” Jazzy responded sprawled out on the floor.

    “Is that bacon I smell?” Sherlock asked, completely ignoring Jazzy.

    Sparrow, Turtle and Pluto had already woken up and were joining Pops and Grammy Mazel at the table excited at the assortment of food. Sherlock stepped over Jazzy and rushed towards the table.

    “Yeah I’m fine thanks for asking,” Jazzy said from the floor slowly picking himself up and joining the rest.

    McLovin joined them with a bedazzled look. He quickly filled his plate like the others with the delicious food before them. 

    Pops looked over at Noodles cuddled in the armchair. “Grammy Mazel, do you have anything for him?”

    “Oh don’t worry about it dear,” Grammy Mazel said with a whisk of her hand, “I woke him up last night enough to give him some medicine. He had a high fever. Probably will for a while. Poor kid. I applied a cool towel this morning to cool him off.”

    “Thank you.”

    “It was my pleasure, hun’.” 

    Sherlock munch down on the food in front of her, shoveling it into her mouth. Jazzy was mirroring her. Until she started to choke. Coughing violently as she hit her chest with her fist.

    “Hau! Karnmah!” Jazzy exclaimed, food still in his mouth.

    “Sherlock chew.” Pluto advised pointing her fork at Sherlock.

    “*cough* *cough* I’m *cough* fine.” Sherlock responded as her coughing fit died down.

    “Hun’ slow down. I ain’t gonna steal your food away,” Grammy Mazel teased. She poured her some tea, “Here… A drink.”

    “This isn’t poison right?” Sherlock asked before taking a drink.

    “No, however that is fun to drink, I don’t give it to mortals…”

    “Does it taste good? I think Sparrow said it tasted good.”

    “No--”

    “Oh are you immortal too?” Grammy Mazel asked Sparrow.

    “No, no, well I haven’t died yet so we cant be sure, but I never drank poison. Sherlock just got that idea from something I said earlier.”

    “Oh well I’m sure everything will be alright.” Grammy Mazel walked away, disappearing into one of the many rooms. 

    Jazzy stuffed his face with another waffle. “This is much better than the motel,” he said with the fluffiness of the waffle still in his cheeks. 

    “Yes, yes it is,” Turtle said in agreement. 

    Norris stepped on down the spiral stairs behind them. She stood in the door way and sighed. “Mazy, Do you remember what happened the last time we had kids?”

    “Yes dear and I want more.”

    Noris looked at the group before nodding to herself. “Seems about right.”

    “Have we been adopted?” Sherlock asked, looking up at everyone.

    “Surprised adoption? For sure. Mazy, where’s the coffee?” Noris wondered on past the kids to find the coffee only to find there was none. She grumbled to herself as she rummaged through the cabinets to get coffee and a bottle of whiskey that looked too much like maple syrup. She stirred the whiskey in and took a sip with a relieved sigh. “Who’s the dead one over there?” She asked, tilting her cup towards Noodles.

    “That’s Noodles,” Turtle said as Pops had just taken a big bite into her bagel. 

    Noris flipped down her green glasses, “Aye, Jerry-” she flicked her hand at the air as to tell someone to move, “Get away from the poor kid. They sleepin’.”

    “Oh Jerry. Come here, I have food,” Grammy Mazel called out from the other side of the house.

    “Is Jerry a ghost?” Sparrow blurted, causing Pluto to kick her leg under the table.

    “Annoyingly enough,” Noris grumbled before sipping on her black coffee again.

    “You can see ghosts?!” Sherlock and Jazzy said in unison practically bouncing in glee.

    Noris took off her glasses to show them it’s heavy green tint, “These help I guess… I can’t see him without them. But I can feel him regardless. Bastard cold as ice.”

    “Can I try?!” Sherlock and Jazzy asked in unison, again.

    “Have at it kids,” Noris said, holding out the glasses. They would have to go get the glasses from how far away she was, but with how eager they looked she didn’t doubt they would snatch them.

    Withoug hestation both Jazzy and Sherlock bolted up and sprinted toward Noris. Unfortunately for Sherlock she tripped halfway there and Jazzy was the first to try them on, “Ah ha!” He cheered while putting on the glasses, “Ah this is so cooool!!” He exclaimed, flipping the glasses on and off his face repeatedly.

    “Yeah yeah, hand them over, it's my turn!” Sherlock demanded.

    “Bah, give me a minute!” 

    “Booo,” Sherlock complained. Eventually Sherlock managed to snatch them out of Jazzy’s hand and put them over her eyes.

    “Wa- hey!” 

    “Kids, be nice.” Pops hollered, rubbing her temples. Only early early morning and they were already back at havoc again.

    “Thank goodness, I don’t have to parent,” Noris mumbled to herself between a sip as she watched Jazzy and Sherlock run around the house with the glasses.

    “How do they have that much energy?” Pluto questioned in bewilderment.

    “That’s what I was thinking.” Sparrow muttered.

    Pops didn’t even have to look behind her to know they were wrecking the ghost’s sanity. “It’s Jazzy and Sherlock… what else can I say?”

    The ghost was close to tears from Jazzy and Sherlock’s barrage of questions. He was also giving a pleading look to everyone else in the room, even if they couldn’t see him.

    Noodles looked at Jazzy and Sherlock, greatly displeased with the way he had been woken up. He pulled the quilt over his head and tried his best to go back to bed. Unfortunately, he could not and just got up anyway. He left the scene to the table next to Pops. 

    “What some toast?”

    Noodles looked at the french toast and did the little grabby hands. Pops helped him out and handed him a piece of french toast that he could nibble on. 

    “Um… Mrs. Noris…” Pops turned around in her seat to look at Noris, “Do you know of a way to get to Hansford?”

    Pluto, Turtle, and Sparrow paused their eating, turning their attention to Noris. 

    Noris stopped drinking to look at the sudden amount of eyes she was getting. Even Noodles was staring at her. “What’s Hansford?”

    “The town… the city limit not even a quarter of a mile from here?” Pops commented. 

    “Never heard of it.” Noris saw back to her coffee, sipping it as she pleased. 

    “How about a way out of this town?” Pluto asked.

    “What do you mean town? This is the only place around,” Noris explained. Though that wasn’t much of an explanation. 

    “What do you- we just saw the city sign. It had to be there.” Pops got up from her chair. “It’s gotta be there. I’m go find it. Turtle, lesbians. Come with me.”

    “Wa-- Im not gay!!” Sparrow defended.

    “I am.” Pluto replied, dragging Sparrow along.

    Noodles smiled with a little snicker as he watched Sparrow leave. Lesbians.

0