Chapter 6
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pumpkin's room is in the last place Arven, Kaera, Merrick, and Sylfinas would expect. Under guard from Elvlin and other Phantom Brotherhood members, they leave the entire hideout and travel down the sewers, taking a right at the four-way intersection and ambulating further before reaching their destination. Pumpkin's room is cylindrical in design and has six water paths, including the one the group is standing, empty to a pool twenty feet below, and flow out in one direction. At the bottom, three other paths are dry from what people above can observe. A sign with the words 'Beware of Pumpkin' on it hangs above the entrance.

Using two henchmen, Elvlin brings the two Half-Orcs with her to the ledge. They continue to beg for mercy just the same as while getting here. 

"Come on, boss. Give us another chance," Mukegall pleads.

"It was a simple mistake, and my brother and I promise it won't ever happen again," Karigall speaks, whimpering in fear.

"I know you won't manufacture another mishap," Elvlin responds. Ordering one of her henchmen to push the Half-Orc in his possession, Elvlin watches with glee as one of the Half-Orc siblings splashes into the water and breaches the surface with a gasp. The other twin watches in horror as he cannot help his brother and observes him in the water struggle to stay afloat due to his hands tied behind his back. Two tentacles appear from the water, commencing to wrap around him; he screams and flounders to break free before evanescing under the water. Not soon after he goes underwater, blood appears on the water surface. Tears in the living twin's eyes come out as he absorbs what's happening. 

"Mukegall," he sniffles.

"Relax, you ignoramus," Elvlin utters. "You'll reunite with your twin brother faster than you comprehend." With another order, the other henchman shoves the other Half-Orc into the water below, and the process repeats itself. Everybody else further back can only hear the screams from the twin brothers before silence. The second time ends with an audible *crunch* sound and the cry of agony before silence. "Bring the other four."

"Yes, boss."

Standing on the edge by the Drow's insistence, Arven, Kaera, Merrick, and Sylfinas stare at what awaits them, a water pool now red from blood. Elvlin slowly walks back and forth, looking and deciding which of the four people to choose from. 

"How about bitches first?" She asks rhetorically, staring at Kaera.

"Be my guest," Kaera retorts.

"Ha. Ha. Ha." Elvlin sarcastically laughs before kicking Kaera into the sewer water. As soon as Kaera falls, Arven immediately jumps off. Realizing Arven's intentions, Merrick also jumps, leaving Sylfinas behind.

Either way, I'll be down there soon enough. Just need to compel my legs to jump; Sylfinas thinks before jumping too. All four land in the water within a brief period. Arven and Kaera manage to physically break their bindings and can float with no problem. Merrick and Sylfinas, on the other hand, struggle to break their bindings and maintain afloat with the former panicking. Two tentacles erupt from the water beneath them and wrap around them before they hoist them up in the air; the tentacles start to submerge beneath the water, dragging Merrick and Sylfinas.

Arven and Kaera dive underneath to rescue them with him towards Merrick and her towards Sylfinas. They can barely descry the features enough to know that whatever creature it is, is enormous due to the size of the tentacles and blob. Their third attempt at using their strength to force the tentacles to release their grip ends in success. As they all swim towards the surface, the monster connects on Kaera as it bites her on one of her legs and refuses to release her; Arven, Merrick, and Sylfinas breach the surface.

"Everyone alright?" Arven inquires. Out of his peripheral vision, he spots Elvlin at the top, watching them with amusement.

"I'm alive," Merrick answers. Fear and panic start to creep in him as he floats, remembering fragments of a time he wishes to forget.

"Same," Sylfinas replies.

"Let's evacuate this water," Arven orders. As they proceed to swim to the ledge, Sylfinas stops halfway.

"Wait. Where's Kaera?"

"Who's Kaera?" Arven questions.

"She's the lupine," Sylfinas responds.

"I don't perceive her. She must be underwater."

"I'm diving back to rescue her."

"No, you're not. Merrick and I came to rescue you. If that means sacrificing the wolf, then so be it."

"I'll enjoy your attempt at thwarting my effort." Taking as much air as his lung capacity allows, Sylfinas dives underwater.

"Sylfinas!" Arven bellows before he sighs. "Gods be damned." Following his brother, he submerges too.

"Guys? Guys? Sons of bitches.” Fear is the primary motivator for Merrick, and he decides to swim over to dry ground as fast as he awkwardly can.

With a head start, Sylfinas is the first person to reach where Kaera is, and he can descry her struggle to liberate one of her legs from the monster's jaws; something catches his eyes further down, and he swims to investigate and finds the swords left behind from the Half-Orcs. After grabbing the blades, he swims back and hands one to Arven as he shows up close behind and the other over to Kaera. They both manage to stab the monster in its sensitive areas to cause it to open its jaw to free Kaera, making a mad dash back to the surface. All three emerge from the water and frantically swim to the ledge as Merrick eagerly waits for them. Arven, Kaera, and Sylfinas arrive at the shelf and exit the squalid water. Arven and Sylfinas support the canine walking due to her injured leg, and Merrick takes up the rear. The monster debuts itself when the group hobbles partway into the nearest hallway. The ginormous body has a massive jaw that drips blood and other highly questionable items at best in terms of how filthy they are from sharp, jagged teeth. Its defining feature is it has three legs.

From up top, Elvlin walks towards her group. "Let's leave. Before I initiate my ascension to the top, beginning with that undead surpevisor, I need to oversee preparations."

"Are you confident enough that they will perish to not warrant some people stay behind and keep watch?" One of the feminine Phantom Brotherhood members inquires as she stares at the pool below.

"There's no need; that bitch received a nasty wound on one of her legs, so it will hinder her speed. The false Elf and one of the Humans are carrying her out, hindering their speed too. Pumpkin will catch up to them effortlessly and devour them.” A couple of Elvlin’s henchmen glance at each other in apprehension to her plotting a coup against the head of this organization’s branch.

The monster rapidly gains ground as it charges at the group. Merrick switches places with Arven in helping Kaera walk, and Arven pivots his dirty, sewage-covered sword a few times whenever the monster is too close to the group to cause it to fall back a little bit. 

The group passes through a passageway, and Merrick notices a lever. "Wait here for just a few seconds," he suggests to Sylfinas before leaving him with aiding Kaera and charging over to the lever. "Hurry up, Arven!" Cutting it close, Arven dives through the opening as Merrick pulls down the lever, causing the portcullis to fall down and separate the monster from them. The superior material crafting of the portcullis allows it to withstand a few onslaughts from the nightmare before the creature gives up and heads back to its lair.

The group heaves a heavy sigh of relief and collapses on the stone floor. "What was that creature that chased us?" Merrick inquires, sounding like his eyes are deceiving him.

"Hell, if I know," Arven responds exasperatedly.

"An Otyugh," Sylfinas answers as he renders what little medical aid he can towards Kaera's leg.

"An Ot what?" Merrick asks.

"An Otyugh. They basically live anywhere where there's a plethora of literal and figurative shit they can bury themselves in and wait for their next meal. Having a voracious appetite, anything living is fair game to them, even ones that fight back."

"What does 'voracious' mean?"

"Consuming massive amounts of food. Can you come help, Merrick?"

"Sure can. What is it?"

"How is your skill with lightning?"

"I've improved over time. The range spell needs work on, but in terms of charging my hands and delivering a nasty shock as I touch someone is my specialty."

"I need you to charge your hands, but less intense than your typical offensive charge."

Upon hearing their plan, Kaera becomes concerned. "What are you getting at?"

Sylfinas gestures towards Merrick. "This person is Merrick, and his lightning is the closest source in terms of something hot; I require his lightning as a heat source to burn this wound on your leg to stop the bleeding. Then, if I can find something dry and sterile enough, I will fabricate a makeshift bandage to cover up your injury from future infections. Hopefully, this preparation will buy us more time to escort you to a temple where you'll fully recover."

"Buy us time? From what?"

"Otyughs bury themselves in filth every single day. As a result, the offal covers its teeth, and the wound on your leg is a bite wound; bite wounds always receive an infection from the filth, and the infection kills anyone fast if they don't seek help soon. I can infer from the signs on your body that you're infected, so unless this is your preferred demise, you need more help than what this sewer can provide."

She nods in understanding. "You have my permission."

"This will hurt a bit, wolf lady," Merrick warns.

"I'm not a wolf, and my name's Kaera. As for the pain, I can handle it."

"Here it comes." At a lower power than his typical voltage, Merrick casts Shocking Grasp at the wound, and Kaera screams out a bit in pain; the smell of burning flesh permeates around the area, and he cauterizes the injury.

"Now, all I need is something dry to wrap around the wound as a bandage," Sylfinas requests.

"I can help with that." Merrick's next spell is Prestidigitation, and he casts it on himself, Arven, Kaera, and Sylfinas to cleanse them and remove the effluvium of sewage.

"It'll suffice for our situation; I appreciate it, Merrick." Merrick gives a thumbs up at the sound of gratitude, and Sylfinas tears a large portion of one of the sleeves on his shirt as a makeshift bandage.

"How are you feeling?" Arven asks as he situates himself next to Kaera.

"Fine, given the condition, I'm in currently," she answers. "Does it feel hot in here?"

"It doesn't feel hot."

"Same here," Merrick gives his input.

Sylfinas knows what's occurring inside Kaera. "Fever's kicking in. That means the infection is getting worse, and Kaera's closer to death. To increase the odds in our favor, we need to leave now, plus I suspect the Phantom Brotherhood members are on their way to kill us. Can you stand up, Kaera?"

"I can try." Standing on her two feet, the pain and dizziness force Kaera to sit. "On second thought, maybe not."

"I can carry you as we find our way out," Arven suggests to her. Summoning all of her strength, Kaera hoists herself onto Arven's back and wraps her arms around him; he has both of her legs in his hands. "Which path?"

"Unless we're insane enough to say hello to Pumpkin, can't reverse and head the way we came, so that leaves three options to choose from," Merrick answers, sounding peeved. "I'm so done with multiple paths."

"Standing around, complaining won't help."

"I vote straight ahead."

"Any objections?"

"No complaints," Sylfinas chimes in. Walking straight, they travel further down the sewers before something catches Merrick's eye.

"Wait!"

"What is it, Merrick?" Arven inquires.

"I know where we are."

"How?"

"I came into the sewers often to practice with my lightning powers without distractions or fear of anyone getting hurt if a spell flies off in a random direction and hits them, and I made markings in the stonework so I can navigate over to the training area. I never fully explored the sewers, so I had no idea how close I was to danger, and I could guide us to an entrance from this point onward; it's also close to a temple, so our travel distance is brief. I'll take the lead."

Following Merrick's lead, they arrive at another sewer entrance. One by one, they all climb out with Arven and Kaera on his back, being the last to exit. Judging by the sun's position, Sylfinas determines it is evening, so fewer people are on the streets. The location of the entrance is in an area that usually receives less foot traffic than the rest of Belburn. They can view further down the road, a great temple made out of stone. There are three statues dedicated to the gods in the courtyard. From left to right, the sculptures are Solren, the god of day, Luhai, goddess of life, and Vylew, goddess of the sky. Attached to the temple above the entrance is a figure of Kyren, goddess of justice and righteousness.

The group walks through the entrance, and the members regard one of the priestesses working there praying to the statue of Luhai, and she notices them. The priestess is Human, has white skin, long yellow hair that is curly, and grey eyes; the clothes she is wearing are a white linen gown with a gold color outline of a tree symbol on the front and back of the dress. 

"Greetings, children of life. How can a follower of Luhai be of service in your time of need?"

Arven is the first to respond. "Greetings; we seek aid for our recent injuries from battle, but our main concern is the one on my back considering she's on the verge of death from an infection on her leg despite my brother using what all he has available to only buy her more time for the help she needs. Will you help us?"

"I would severely ruin my goddess's reputation if I refuse to give aid to those that need it. Bring her over to the platform at once so I can begin." Arven does so and places her on a stone platform close to the priestess. The priestess removes the makeshift bandage from Kaera's leg and reveals a nasty wound. "Who is your brother, the one who rendered aid as best as he could?"

"Him over there," Arven answers as he indicates at Sylfinas.

"What caused this injury, and what did you resort to giving her treatment?"

"We came across a monster known as an Otyugh, and we were in no position to fight, so fleeing was our best option, but it landed a few solid hits at us. One of the hits was it bit Kaera's leg; she's the one on the stone platform. For the treatment, I used this man's lightning as the best source of heat nearby to cauterize the wound and his Prestidigitation to dry out the material for a bandage. That is all I did with the given materials," Sylfinas replies.

"What caused you to challenge an Otyugh? Also, did you have medical training?"

"It's a long story that, unfortunately, time is our enemy at the moment. I mainly read books and studied under the apothecaries here in town in my free time for several years for medical experience. Occasionally I went to temples such as this one also."

"Using lightning was ingenious on your part; this wound is severely deep, and it's extremely likely she would die before reaching a healer had it not been for that and given that her race is naturally healthy."

"And what race is she?"

"She is a Fenri, a race that closely resembles wolves, but their origins are unknown, whereas actual wolves are from our world. I lack knowledge about them from my studies other than they are capable warriors and excel at physical labor, and even if I did, now would not be the time to reveal all the details; I need to give aid at this instance." Kneeling down next to Kaera, the priestess's hands glow bright green as she casts Lesser Restoration while giving out a prayer, "Dear Mother, merciful creator, I ask you in my time of need. Lend your strength as I cast out the entity that seeks to snuff out this precious life much too soon. Wrap her with your eternal warmth and accompany her, so she lives a joyous life."

The priestess comes back to reality. "She'll be fine; I've removed the disease from her body. After I repair the injuries sustained on you and her, you will be ready to leave." Uttering a brief prayer, she casts Cure Wounds a few times between Arven, Kaera, Merrick, and Sylfinas.

Kaera regains consciousness. "What is this place?"

"You are in the Temple of Life," the priestess answers. "Your friends brought you over after you received an infection on your wound."

"And you are?"

"I'm Talrel, one of the priestesses in this temple and the one your friends came to for help."

"I greatly appreciate it."

"Not necessary. That's one of the primary functions of this temple, helping those that are in need. Who you truly need to credit is those three gentlemen over there, particularly the Half-Elf. Without him and those two, you would've died."

"I'll remember to praise them. Am I healthy enough to move?"

"Everybody is healthy enough to continue with the rest of the day though you may feel your injuries in the morning. Never mind about the cost; it's free."

"Thank you." Feeling more rejuvenated, Kaera vacates the stone platform and walks towards the rest of the group. All four walk outside of the temple's perimeter before stopping.

"Any ideas for the rest of the day?" Merrick inquires.

"Kaera's free to travel where ever she desires, but Sylfinas and I need to head back home, and I recall you saying that you will come work for free at the farm, so you'll be coming with us," Arven responds.

"Kinda hoped you neglected to remember all about that conversation."

"Are you heading back where you came from?" Sylfinas asks the bipedal wolf.

"I'm coming with you," she responds.

"Why?"

"Since my race…."

Merrick cuts her sentence off. "The Fenri?"

Looking at Merrick, Kaera continues. "Yes, the Fenri. Not a wolf person or wolf lady." She equally looks at them. "Anyway, the Fenri are fiercely loyal to those they consider friends. We also remember our debts owed to anyone in our society or outside of it, and we'll work until it's fully paid off. Since you saved my life multiple times while greatly putting yours at risk Sylfinas, I must now pledge my life to you and be your servant and protector from now on."

"What about Arven and I? We risked our lives also." Arven slaps Merrick. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Shut up, Merrick."

"I haven't disregarded what you and Arven have also done, Merrick, and I promise to be by your side from now on also, but Sylfinas will be the one to decide when I fully paid my debt since he did more," Kaera speaks.

"What if I refuse you pledging the rest of your life to serve and protect us?" Sylfinas questions.

"Then, we need to find an appropriate length of time for which I must serve the three of you to repay the debt. No matter what you say, Sylfinas, or from Arven and Merrick, I must pay it off somehow since it is a grave sin among my kind to not pay off debt no matter how insignificant."

"How terrible can the punishment be?"

Kaera winces at a memory. "It's for the best to not know."

"It doesn't feel right that you're proposing what is essentially slavery."

"This arrangement isn't slavery; the Fenri abhor the idea of working like a slave for someone, particularly for eternity. I told you that someone bought me and surrendered after dealing with my stubbornness. If this arrangement was anything resembling slavery, you would've given up in no time, or I would've killed you."

"I still execrate the idea of you spending your entire life to Arven, Merrick, and I."

"What is appropriate for you, then? You did much aid, so I have a say if I feel I'm getting off too easy since that's also an insult in my culture. If I feel you are actively backing out of the agreement at any point before completion, I would consider at that point to be slavery, and I'm justified in doing what I must to break free, and that may end up killing you."

"You must have a home that you'll miss."

"I would greatly miss my home, but it's a sacrifice I'm prepared for if it means to pay off this debt."

"Where is your home?"

"I'm from the kingdom of Canir in a village called Kelna; it is near the southern border to Aeyis and is up in the mountains."

"How about the three of us escort you over to Kelna? Would that be enough to satisfy the debt?"

Kaera does her best to hide her enthusiastic approval. "The offer is acceptable so, the agreement is I'll serve and protect you, Arven, and Merrick until we reach my home, and when we arrive, the contract is complete, and I'm free to move on. If I sense at any point during our travels that any of you are deliberately holding back your portion of the agreement, I have the right to use whatever means necessary to break the agreement. If I'm asked to perform intercourse of any kind by any of you, I can refuse. Keep asking, and I'll break the agreement by any means without consequences. Are all of you in agreement?"

"Yes," Arven, Merrick, and Sylfinas utter at the same time.

"Then, I need all of us to grab each other's hands and arrange into a circle." After they follow her instructions, Kaera looks up to the sky. "Oh wise and mighty Faer, listen to the contract and witness to it that all party members fulfill their end of the agreement. I, Kaera, agree to be servant and protector to Arven, Merrick, and Sylfinas until I reach my home in Kelna, for which they will assist by being companions along the way. When they reach Kelna, this contract will be complete, and my debt to them paid. If I fail my duties within my means of control, I have failed to keep my end of the deal and receive the harshest punishment possible. If I sense that if any opposing party members are deliberately not fulfilling their end of the deal, I'll resort to any methods, even killing them, to void the deal, and I'll be free from the debt. If any member of the opposing party asks for intercourse, I have every right to refuse. If they keep asking, again, I'm free to use any method, including killing them, to be free of the debt. The opposing party agrees to these terms. Hear them say, "Aye!""

"Aye!" All three shout at once.

"At this point, wise and mighty Faer, consider this contract in progress as of now." A warm sensation surrounds them, and they can hear a howl of a wolf in the distance. "And that's it; our contract is now binding due to my god witnessing it."

"What are we waiting for? Let's bring Kaera back to her village!" Sylfinas articulates.

"Hold it, Sylfinas. We still have work waiting for us back at home," Arven reminds Sylfinas.

"Oh… yeah."

Kaera reassures him. "Relax, Sylfinas; you have about three years for any meaningful progress towards Kelna before I have every right to determine whether you and the others are refusing outright. Contracts last short on average, depending on the debt's size, but the parties can extend it if they feel they need more time. Since I possess this major debt, the length starts off that long, plus I highly doubt the work at your home will last forever."

"Ok."

"I sense a storm coming," Merrick warns, looking at the direction of it.

"We better commence moving then. Dad's expecting us to be back and is probably wondering where we are and what we're up to. One trait I know about Merrick is he's never wrong when it comes to storms, and I loathe being outside in one," Arven states. All four begin to head over to Arven's and Sylfinas's home. "I almost omitted something, Sylfinas."

"What is it, Arven?"

"Here's your pin. It was left behind from your kidnapping."

"Much appreciated," Sylfinas speaks, putting the pin back on his shirt where it belonged.

 

Feel free to vote and leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

2