Chapter 20
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20

(Argthanaw 25th Year 672 of the 4th Age)

Kaera wakes up in the middle of the night. She can sense Merrick toss and turn on the other side of the bed violently. If he keeps this up and I won't have any sleep. It's bad enough that I must sleep in this dress and I'm already uncomfortable because of it. Though how would Aila know if I take them off. She did say that nudity isn't allowed, but she didn't say not every single article of clothing has to stay on. She gets up on the side of the bed and strips down to her underwear. Much better. Know what? I can go one step further. She goes back to bed topless, sighing in content while prostrating herself.

Merrick suddenly starts having a panic attack in his sleep. "No! Stop! Don't put me back in the chair! What do you want from me?!"

"Merrick! Merrick! Wake up!" To stop his thrashing, Kaera shakes him vigorously. He takes a few swipes at her as he wakes up. Sweat covers his body, and he is breathing rapidly. "Calm down. It was just a dream."

"Felt real, though." Merrick rubs his face to remove the last traces of his dream. "Sorry to wake you up."

"I was already awake."

It dawns on him that Kaera's only in her panties. "Where are your clothes?"

She points to the pile. "I just put most of them on the floor. They are getting uncomfortable, but this is the best I can do since Aila told me not to sleep naked like Fenri prefer being in. I was about to go back to sleep when you had your nightmare. You ok now?"

"I should be."

It didn't take long for Merrick to toss and turn violently in his sleep, stirring Kaera up in the process. Watching him writhe reminds her of her childhood with her twin brother and the time with her adopted brother. That's where she comes up with a solution to calm his nerves. Fighting against his swipes, she embraces him, firmly pressing him against her mostly naked, well-toned body, though her heart races because the thin barrier around her crotch doesn't alleviate the feeling of him being near her slit. It must be near that time again. Keep it together, Kaera. You're already mated with someone, and adding more would bring more trouble. The sudden force breaks the curse on him, and he wakes up to find that he's in a situation too intimate for the contract between him and her, so he frees himself.

"What are you doing, Kaera?"

"Helping you sleep."

"Don't you think it was too personal?"

"If you're worried about the contract, it's still intact. I chose to do it because my mother would do it to my twin brother and sometimes me when I was younger to calm us down when we had night terrors. Every so often, he and I would do it together whenever she wasn't around. I would also perform the action on another brother that was adopted and a couple of friends when I met them. Do you want me to cease?"

"Can you be less forceful when you hug again?"

"I can do that."

Round two of Kaera hugging Merrick has her enclasping him slower until arriving at the previous point. Now more aware of it, he senses that her fur is very soft and warm despite being wholly dressed. His heart pounds harder and faster to the point it numbs all the other incoming stimulants as his head touches her pillowy breasts and being so near her reproductive organs. She's comfortable with it; his breaths become more rapid.

Kaera also experiences identical changes to her heartbeat and breath as she replicates her mother's embrace on Merrick, sensing her panties is becoming wet and adhesive to her crotch. She reminisces about performing this to her siblings and friends and can't help thinking that Merrick reminds her of them, shaking off her other thoughts associated with them. To further her agenda, she remembers her mother's soothing lullaby. Kaera replicates it, resulting in success as Merrick falls asleep without experiencing another nightmare despite not knowing her language, appearing cute to her while she holds him. Soon, she follows suit and has a lascivious dream.

In the guest room containing Arven, he starts dreaming about his tenth birthday. In it, there is his mom, Jemeir, and a few of his friends. It is nighttime, and he is sitting at the table about to blow the candles out on his cake. There is a knock on the door. Believing it is his sibling back from the Ebony Legion, he rushes to the door and opens it with a smile on his face to greet him. He finds a different man on the other side wearing a military-style uniform, becoming confused at the stranger.

"Evening, young lad. Are your parents around?"

"Mom! Dad!" Jemeir and his wife come out.

"Evening, you two," the stranger speaks. "You might want to put your child somewhere else in the house."

"Ok, Arven, let's place you and your friends in your room, and you can show them the gifts you got. Ok?" His mom takes him and his friends up to his room. "Now, I don't want to see any of you out for a while. If I do, I'll give each of you a good spanking." She closes the door.

When he feels enough time has gone by, he tells his friends to wait, and he sneaks out of the room. He goes partway down the stairs enough to eavesdrop but remain hidden. He can hear his mom sobbing. He then hears his brother's name. He pieces the remaining conversation and finds out that his brother is dead from a mission.

The new day moves in, and one by one, the occupants wake up. Merrick and Kaera wake up at around the same time.

"Morning, Merrick. Sleep well?"

"I did. Did you?"

"I did." She gets up and starts putting on the clothes that survived the fire. Merrick suppresses any thoughts about her as he stares at her back and firm rump even though her naked figure didn't stir them up previously. "We better get ready. The rest should be getting up soon if they aren't already. Today's the day of heading back home."

"If you don't mind me asking, who's Lárus?"

"My twin brother. I like to tell more about him, but we may be late for breakfast." Kaera finishes getting dressed, and they both head out. Everyone but Sylfinas and some of Radclyff's children is up and in the living room with the sound and smell of breakfast cooking.

"Should someone get Sylfinas?" Merrick inquires.

Arven offers to go and get him. "I'll do it."

In one of the guest rooms, Sylfinas lies awake in bed, pondering about the same dream again of being back at home and having it turn to dust. What does it mean? He looks over and is still in disbelief that the sword from the Phantom Brotherhood is magical and sentient of all things.

 "Do you talk?"

"Yes, I do talk," the blade replies, glowing as it talks. "You think all inanimate objects can't speak, do you?"

"Sorry. I'm still processing the recent events."

"Hmph."

There's a knock on the door. "Wake up, Sylfinas."

"I'll be out in a minute, Arven."

"Breakfast is almost ready, so if you want it, then hurry up. I'll be with the others."

"Ok." 

The Half-Elf comes out a little bit later and arrives just in time for breakfast. The conversation the adults at the table are having is about the trip to Canir. Radclyff's kids are in a different part of the house while his three oldest offsprings are with the group.

"So, what's the plan?" Arven inquires.

"Radclyff and I will travel with you to Port Direrun so you, Kaera, Merrick, and Sylfinas can embark on a ship to Lutis. Once you do, we'll leave and try to fix the mess back here, so the people of Belburn aren't hostile to you and figure out where the urn is after," Jemeir answers.

"Why that place of all the other ports in Adoran?"

"That place does have its fair share of assholes. I do not deny that. But, if you want someone that can get you across the Kerithian Sea and avoid the Phehans, there's no other place that can do the job better."

"That'll take us southeast then, and it's a week away by foot," Sylfinas speaks. "Arven has to be at camp for military purposes, so that rules it out."

"Actually, I have way more time now," Arven utters.

"How?"

"Want to know why I was so cheerful back at our former home? I got a letter from King Dyral, royal seal and everything, saying I had been chosen to participate in the selection exam for the Ebony Legion. I get a chance to be an Eldritch Knight." Everyone congratulates Arven. He adds more. "It's on Septham 14th next year, and I don't have to go to Camp Echo or do any more military-related stuff till then unless war breaks out or other major conflicts do. That should be way more than enough time to complete our journey."

"How much stuff from our adventuring days have you kept, Radclyff?" Jemeir questions.

"We do need some supplies. What I have currently isn't enough for all of us, and most of yours are... you know. You're more than welcome to access my funds."

Jemeir waves his furry, bipedal companion's proposal off. "Thanks for offering your money, but mine survived in my Bag of Holding. The problem of spending it to purchase mundane gear is the town execrates us now."

"I'll go," Aila offers.

"No. I can't let you go, Aila," Radclyff responds.

"Why not? As far as I know, I haven't done anything to get the town to hate me."

"They would most likely know you're my wife, and that can put a target on your back. You're expecting another pup, or pups, in case you forgot."

"How can I forget when I have this belly right here." The High Elf pats her slightly rotund belly, an indicator of her pregnancy. "You and Jemeir know what I was capable of back then. Being a mother hasn't diminished those skills much. If a man or group of men want to mess with me…." She pulls out a dagger from her back. "I'll castrate them." All the men in the room wince and instinctively cover their crotch.

"Just be careful, honey."

Aila puts her dagger away. "I will. Be back in a few." She leaves after giving Radclyff a kiss. Their eldest progenies vacate to tend to the younger children.

"While we wait, let's learn more of that sword of yours, Sylfinas."

"Good idea, Radclyff." Sylfinas retrieves his sword, holding it with the flat side facing him. "Hello? You awake?"

"Yes, I'm awake," the blade replies irritably. "What do you want?"

"What are you?"

"I'm Sariel, servant, and follower of Luhai. I inhabit Hell's Bane, the sword."

"Why did you appear to me?"

"Because she was watching you. She saw your pacifism and decided that you were worthy of pursuing a quest to make this plane of existence a better place by spreading diplomacy and teaching nonviolence."

"Was that you that blocked those attacks?"

"Actually, that was mostly her. I'm not strong enough to do that alone. Don't get used to it, though, because gods, archdevils, and demon lords are forbidden to directly interfere with lives in Illyria. She's going to be busy dealing with a bunch of paperwork of why she did what she did, and she'll be closely monitored for a long time."

"So, I passed the test then?"

"Yes. Right now, you need to swear an oath of how you'll do your best to bring a creature back onto the path of righteousness even if it's a minimal chance of success, and you'll resort to violence and kill when there's no way to bring it back from evil."

"I have to kill?" Sylfinas inquires, looking aghast.

"Only when there's no other way."

"But I refuse."

"Sometimes, a threat is too significant to let live. You want the world to suffer just so you don't want blood on your hands?

"No, I don't want the world to suffer, period."

"Then, violence becomes necessary."

"But Luhai is the goddess of life, isn't she? Isn't all life sacred to her?"

"Yes, but even she knows it's better to kill a few to save the rest. You looked like you were ready to kill for your friend, just so you know."

The Half-Elf reluctantly relents. "I'll take the oath then but on two conditions. You'll let me know when it's alright to attack, and I will not be the killing blow."

Sariel accepts his terms. "Let's get started then." She pops out of the sword and tells Sylfinas to repeat after her. She gives out the oath, and after he repeats the last words, the pledge is complete. "It is done. You're now a paladin that follows the path of redemption. Now, what's all of your names?" 

"I'm Arven."

"Jemeir."

"Kaera."

"Radclyff."

"Merrick."

Sariel glances around the room. "I still sense one being here that hasn't introduced himself."

"Huh? Everyone introduced themselves. My pups are nowhere around," Radclyff responds.

"It's not them, I sense. I sense someone like me, but male. He's upstairs."

"Is she talking about your greatsword, Radclyff?" Jemeir conjectures.

"Hmm. Let me bring it out." Radclyff goes up and comes back with his weapon.

"Sariel? Hey, long time no see! I thought I sensed a beautiful angel nearby." There is energy behind the masculine voice.

"Oh, gods. Why him," Sariel spoke with disdain.

The spirit inside Radclyff's greatsword pops out. "Sariel, it's me, Usse, or, if you prefer, my weapon name, Blazefury."

"Hi, Usse." It's a struggle for Sariel to recognize him.

"So how about you and I leave this place and find somewhere to 'catch up' if you know what I mean."

"My answer is no."

The red Spirit clutches his chest, overexaggerating his crestfallen reaction. "My heart. Why must you be so cruel?"

"My affection towards you goes as far as trusting you to have my back. But you lack qualities I look for me to even consider you."

"You'll see. Eventually, you'll fall for my charms." Usse recognizes the oldest Human. "That you, Jemeir? You look way different from the last time we met."

"Indeed, it's me. How's it going?"

"Oh, not much. I have been chilling around. Assisting Radclyff with disciplining his kids. Where's Firmis?"

"He's in my Bag of Holding. Thankfully it survived my house burning down."

"Bring him out. He and I have an arm-wrestling match to settle."

"How about when we're on the road. Don't want a repeat of the Drunken Farmer back in Opley to happen here."

"Yeah, I like my house just the way it is," Radclyff said, sounding protective of his domicile.

"Ok. I hear you. I almost forgot. Who's your Keeper, Sariel?"

"He is." She points to Sylfinas.

Usse looks at him and walks up to Sylfinas, bending over to scrutinize him further. After his conclusion, he stands upright. "He's all right in my books. Let me give you a warning, though, Half-Elf. If you make Sariel suffer, I won't hesitate to turn your blood to steam and boil you from the inside. You hear me?"

Sylfinas nods rapidly. "Yes."

"Good. I'll head back inside the greatsword now. If you need me, give me a holler Radclyff."

"Will do." Usse leaves.

"What's a Keeper?" Kaera asks.

"A Keeper is someone that a magic item is bound to. Not just any magic item, though. It has to be sentient, and it can only be sentient if it has a Spirit inside it. There are a couple of exceptions, but most of the time, it will be sentient. These Spirits are trained in a different plane of existence for quite some time before they can choose someone as their Keeper. Once you and the Spirit are bound, your power greatly increases as you bond together," Jemeir explains.

"So Sylfinas just got a whole lot stronger right now."

"Not really. He and Sariel just started out, so they are fragile."

"I am not weak!" Sariel protests, stomping her right foot.

"No, but your bond between you and Sylfinas is. He won't have access to your full potential right now. With Usse and Radclyff and Firmis and I, our bonds are highly developed, so we can use their full power if we want to."

"I heard Usse going by a different name. Blazefury."

"When a Spirit is finally able to be inside a magic item, they are given a name attached to the item. So with Usse, that's his actual name. His greatsword's name is Blazefury. Both names will work. Some prefer using one over the other but will put up with the other name. In your case, Sylfinas, Sariel is her actual name. Hell's Bane is the name of the sword. This is a lot of information I'm dumping on you all at once. Any questions?"

"How far can they go when they're outside?" Kaera asks.

"Very short, starting off but will increase as the bond amplifies. I've heard cases where a bond is strong, and the trust between the Keeper and item is deep enough that the Spirit inside can roam anywhere in Illyria for quite some time before needing to return to its Keeper."

"I don't know about all of you, but I'm going back inside the sword and get some rest." Sariel goes inside.

Jemeir continues. "That's the point of being near its Keeper. The Spirit starting out can't stay out for long periods. It has to go back inside and recharge. If it's beyond a certain range or can't access its assigned item from another circumstance once the time limit expires, it perishes."

Arven gives his questions. "So if a Spirit dies, can the person they bonded with acquire another? Also, how many Spirits can one person have at one time?"

"It depends on the first question. If the person was a complete dick to the Spirit before it died, going to be very hard to get another one. If the person was respectful, they would have a better shot at getting another, but it's not a guarantee. For having multiple Spirits at one time, it's tough to do but not impossible. The limit, I don't know, but I know Malrina has three spirits with her."

"Great. Malrina's scarier," Merrick speaks.

"How did you and Radclyff get your spirits?" Arven resumes his inquiry.

"That is something to save for when we're traveling, Arven."

Radclyff concurs with a nod. "I agree, Jemeir." The masculine Fenri stands up from his furniture and stretches. "I'm going to see what the pups are up to. They've been on their own for a bit, and I'm scared the triplets got into mischief. Let me know when Aila comes back."

"Will do."

A couple of hours go by before Aila comes back with supplies needed for the journey. They start packing up and head out the door. Radclyff turns to his oldest son Jemeir and the others recognize him from a few days ago while obtaining Kaera's clothes.

"I'm going to be gone for a while. You're the man of the house, Barion. Your job is to protect your mother and siblings while I'm away."

"I won't fail, dad," the oldest scion replies.

"Good. Take care. Stay safe. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Stay safe, Radclyff."

"You too, Aila." Radclyff and his wife kiss, and he waves farewell while he, Jemeir, and the others head off on their journey.

1