Chapter 24
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24

The wind picks up speed from an approaching front as the party members head toward the Drisdell Manor. Lightning flashes on the horizon, but the thunder never arrives. The group members first head into a general goods store that is still open though the owner inside is in the middle of the closing down process. He is around Jemeir's age though his body isn't as nimble as him.

"You're cutting it very close."

"Sorry about that. We were wondering if you have something for us." Sylfinas responds.

"And that is?"

"Some sort of hearing protection if you got them."

"They are right over there."

"Much appreciated." Sylfinas returns with six hearing protections, and the owner counts them.

"That'll be three silver."

"Here's two gold and keep the change since we came in at the very last possible minute."

The business owner appears pleasantly surprised at the offer, grinning as he holds the gold in his left hand. "Thank you very much. Why do you need that many, if you don't mind me asking?"

"We're slaying the Bloodied Mother."

Hearing the answer, the owner's expression changes to solemn. "Oh. Well, good luck."

"Thank you." The adventurers leave. 

As soon as the door shuts, the owner speaks to himself, stroking his triangular beard. "Is it too late to start selling gravestones?"

The party arrives at the Drisdell Manor. The leaves on the ground move around from the wind, the air possibly influencing the front door to open and close by itself as if it beckons them like a dog. As the party members step on the wooden porch, it makes a creaking sound and continues with each step they take. Cobwebs and dust are everywhere when the group enters. A burst of malicious, feminine laughter echoes throughout the house as soon as they all are inside, giving Merrick horripilation.

"On second thought, guys, she has it under control. Nothing beats a pissed-off mother, am I right?"

"Getting cold feet already, Merrick?" Kaera teases.

"No, Kaera. Just that… you have a big spider on you."

She notices it and freaks out. "Get it off! Get it off!" Arven comes by and kills it. "I'll be waiting outside if you need anything."

"Look who's getting cold feet."

"Shut it, Merrick," she angrily mutters. Kaera tries to leave but hits a barrier instead. "What the hell?"

"Looks like the Bloodied Mother doesn't want us to leave," Sylfinas conjectures.

"Don't say that, Sylfinas. I don't want to be trapped in here knowing that there are more spiders like the one Arven killed."

"Looks like you're going to have to deal with them then," Radclyff utters. "The Bloodied Mother intends for us to never leave, so the only way is to find and kill her. If we can help it, stick together. Remember the training Jemeir and I taught you, especially you, Kaera. On our own, the Fenri are a formidable force, but with allies, we are terrifying." His eyes descry hazards on the floor. "Watch your steps. There are spots with holes already formed, and I question the strength of the material used for flooring."

"Where to go first?" Merrick inquires, still having goosebumps as he shivers.

"Well, Merrick, if I was a gambling man, I put my money on the master bedroom as the spot she's at," Arven replies.

"That makes sense, Arven," Sylfinas responds. "According to the books I've read, ghosts and other kinds of specters tend to stay close to their source of stress. Since time isn't on our side, I assumed she was raped and murdered in the bedroom. I have an idea." He unsheathes Hell's Bane. "Hey, Sariel!"

"What is it?" The blade irritably inquires, the exasperation carrying over to its glow. "Also, you don't have to shout."

"Sorry. I was wondering if you can sense the Bloodied Mother?"

"I can sense her for sure. The signal is so strong that I can't trace it. The entire place gives off a strong, ominous vibe. She's not alone."

"Thanks for the attempt."

Inspired by his adopted progeny's attempt, Jemeir retrieves Fissure. "I'll see if Firmis can do any better."

Radclyff follows suit with Blazefury. "I'll see if Usse can too." He and Jemeir ask their Spirits. They both reiterate Sariel's response. Radclyff shrugs. "Well, we tried."

"I still like Arven's idea of going to the master bedroom first. I hardly lose a bet, and I bet she's up there."

Radclyff grins as he goads Jemeir. "Bet you twenty gold, Jemeir, that she isn't."

Jemeir latches onto the bet like a fish taking the bait on a hook, shaking hands with the Fenri to complete the contract. "You're on, Radclyff."

The group attempts to go up the staircase. It creaks loudly under their weight. It's gracious enough to alert the people with a stentorian snap. However, it's callous enough to not grant them any time to escape before it implodes. 

"We should've gone one at a time," Arven groans.

"Live and learn, Arven. Everyone all right?" Sylfinas inquires.

Everyone replies, "Yes." Sequentially, they get back on their feet.

"Well, we can find another way up, or we can try the basement," Jemeir speaks, dusting himself off.

Arven takes a quick stock of equipment. "We have plenty of rope. Finding something sturdy will be the hard part."

"Or better yet, get Kaera and Radclyff on the second floor, and they hold the rope while the rest of us climb up."

"Not a bad idea," Radclyff responds. "Between her and I, we should have no problem getting up onto the second floor with our combined sinew. Shall I be the one, or would you do it, Kaera?"

Kaera volunteers. "I'll do it. Give me a boost." Radclyff gets on his knees, and her legs go over his shoulders. He stands up, and she manages to hoist herself up to the second floor. "Hand me a rope." Arven throws a rope at her. One by one, they all climb. Only Radclyff gives her a bit of a challenge. 

The pathway goes left and right. Suits of armor line down the halls with an even amount of space between them. A door directly next to the party appears a bit fancy despite the building's years being abandoned. It is locked when they try to open it. Arven, Kaera, and Radclyff try throwing their weight at it to no avail.

"Put all your weight into it, Radclyff."

"I'm trying, Jemeir. Something's preventing us from opening it."

"Let me try. There's gotta be a weak spot somewhere on this." Jemeir presses his right hand on the entrance, tracing it around for any signs of weakness. "Here it is." He strikes and injures his hand, clutching it in agony. "Ack! Never mind. I know she's behind that door, or else this barrier shouldn't exist. A rude reminder that I'm not as strong as I once was."

"You didn't break your hand, did you?"

"No. Pain will still linger, but I can move all five digits."

A door in the left hallway opens by itself. It makes a creaking sound as it does.

"She's telling us something," Merrick says.

"Yeah. 'I'm the master of this domain, and you'll go where I say you go' is what she's trying to convey," Sylfinas responds. He presses his head against the door. He could hear a small boy crying, sniffing, and wanting his mom back on the other side. A feminine voice tries to soothe the boy, but the voice is definitely not what a live humanoid makes. "The boy's behind this door. I can hear him and the Bloodied Mother."

"Is he all right?" Kaera inquires.

"He is. Just absolutely terrified, but he's not in pain. Not sure how much time he has left."

"Well, she obviously wants us to go into that room over there, so let's go."

"How about we try opening this door again?"

"It's not going to work, Sylfinas," Arven reminds him. "Kaera and Radclyff couldn't budge it, so I definitely couldn't, and you and Merrick don't have much strength. Dad busted his hand."

"It's still fine, Arven," Jemeir replies.

"What if all of us put all of our might on the door all at once?" Sylfinas suggests.

"We can give it a try, but if it doesn't work, we're just going to have to follow her orders for now." Everyone gets into position. "On three. One, two, three, now!" They throw every bit of strength they can muster at the door. It repels them, not budging a single inch.

"It's official; there's a magical or supernatural force blocking the door," Radclyff utters. "The best course of action is searching the manor for the key to diffusing it.

"It's the only thing we can do," Jemeir replies. "The building is huge. Should we split up?"

"What if Sariel said about the Bloodied Mother not being alone was a reference to other phantoms?" inquired Merrick.

"You have Radclyff and me for assistance." Jemeir looks over to Radclyff. "Örstýð grýlluk Kaera áls Merrick tyun örs?" He inquires in Frí to Arven, Kaera's, Merrick's, and Sylfinas's shock and to Radclyff's delight.

"Sýð eikaúm, éréil Álktýk nú esýðtýð," Radclyff answers in Frí also. He looks at Kaera and Merrick. "You want to join me?" They do. 

"You know the Fenri's language? Kaera asks Jemeir. "Although, it shouldn't surprise me that much, considering you been with Radclyff and another Fenri for years."

Jemeir nods. "They taught me well. I'm not as fluent as a native speaker or those who mastered the language, but I know sufficiently to assimilate into Canir without much issue. I would love to demonstrate more, but now's not the opportune moment." Just so Arven, Jemeir, and Sylfinas have a path from the lower level, Kaera, Merrick, and Radclyff elect to remain on the second floor, lowering the others to the lower level. Everybody is wearing ear protection.

The two Fenri and Merrick ambulate to the room the phantom wants them to travel to. Every time lightning flashes, it illuminates the floor's poor state with lilliputian perforations from years of rotting and decay before Merrick becomes unable to see clearly in the umbral. They proceed slowly down the hallway, unsure about the floor's ability to handle the two brawny wolves. The squeaks are the house's way of telling its occupants that it's weary from bearing the weight. A sharp creak halts their progress as Radclyff tests the strength of a floorboard, recalling the staircase; it forms a caldera under pressure from one of his feet before springing back to its original shape to his alarm. 

Being scrawny, Merrick travels ahead from Kaera and Radclyff to behold the unlocked room. Cracked tiles and walls represent the bathroom's current state as he enters inside. As he turns left, he spots a mirror above the sink that is also cracked. The wind from the outside blows in, disturbing the torn-up curtains. In the reflection, he notices the bathtub behind him. Before he can return to Kaera and Radclyff to deliver the news and help them across, the door slams shut from a powerful gust of wind.

Merrick glances at the mirror, beholding liquid and two people in the tub, this time instead of empty. Believing his eyes are playing tricks on him, he turns towards the tub to realize they're real; a thorough rub of his eyes further dispels any doubt that they're fake. His instincts tell him to remain silent and evacuate, causing him to forget to focus on breathing as they try shutting down anybody's function that can produce sound. Cursing as he realizes he doesn't have the luxury of options, Merrick slowly walks to the bathtub on alert for any threat to retaliate against, expecting the man and woman to animate at any second. 

Sure enough, their eyes open, and they get out of the tub, exposing male and female genitalia to him. Red fluid stream down their naked body, dripping onto the floor. They are youthful in their appearance, no more than in their late twenties. Instead of acting hostile, they gesture Merrick to the bathtub like they're inviting him for a bath, or most likely a threesome to horny individuals, holding his arms gently. Out of fear towards the pool of bloody water, he resists their escort. Their grips tighten, and their expressions change to anger as they drag him to the bathtub. Lukewarm, bloody water cuts off his vision and hearing, and it tastes metallic as some sneak past his lips. This is where he wishes to have more muscles as he thrashes around to escape, all too familiar with the predicament he's in. 

In his latch ditch effort to liberate himself, he attempts to make his Shocking Grasp envelope his entire body instead of his hands. It should be simple to do. Then again, I have trouble going beyond shocking people by touching, summoning a shield, and cleaning. Attempt after attempt, lightning covers only his hands. Oh, Elder Tempest, your Wildborn is in danger. This is where you show up, but try to not destroy the entire village in the process. On his last attempt, with his lungs screaming for oxygen, he senses a surge go beyond his hands, flowing up his arms and covering his body and the immediate release from the dead Humans. Much appreciate it if that was you. Usually, he receives an image of the Elder Tempest whenever it intervenes. This time, it's silent. Now free, he rushes towards the door, and the knob refuses to turn.

"Anyone out there?! Kaera?! Radclyff?!" Fear is a culprit, but the ear protections deafen Merrick's sense of hearing, so his voice is louder than typical.

"Merrick!" Kaera responds from the other side also in a higher volume.

"Kaera! I'm trapped in the bathroom with two naked, dead Humans trying to drown me! Where's Radclyff?!"

"He's staying back because of the weak floorboards. They barely held me, so they'll collapse under him if he walks across."

"Can you open the door from your end?"

"I can't; it's stuck." Kaera wields her greataxe and begins hacking away at the wooden barrier. "At least this door doesn't have a magical force protecting it. Try to stay alive while I try to bust it down."

Merrick barely ducks beneath the dead woman's arms as she lunges at him. The man jumps on his back, forcing him onto the floor. He easily flips Merrick around and starts choking him with his bone-chilling hands. Merrick flails his arms around, pressing his fingers against the dead man's eyes. A quick, electrical pulse repels the corpse, and Merrick chokes and gasps for air.

Kaera continues to chip away the door. Through the fresh hole, she observes the animated cadavers chase Merrick around the bathroom. The aperture becomes more pronounced as she swings Divisor. As the door weakens, it forms a crack, dividing it in half, and she forces it asunder with a kick. In two strikes, she launches the dead away from Merrick, tearing a massive gash in them. Her grin turns to fright as she and Merrick watch the cadavers get back on their feet like the zombies from Belburn, but they regenerate the injuries, unlike the zombies, and at a fast rate.

"Run, Merrick!"

"You don't have to tell me twice!" They bolt out the destroyed door and towards Radclyff, with Merrick crossing the floor's weak section first.

"Sorry that I couldn't be of much use," Radclyff apologizes.

"You can save the apology for later," Merrick replies. "Right now, we need to run."

"What's the… oh." The dead, naked Humans enter Radclyff's view.

"They aren't the zombies we fought in Belburn," Kaera speaks. "They regenerate their injuries fast, even the serious ones."

"Let me handle this." Radclyff wields his greatsword. "Ignite, Usse!" Red flames enveloped the steel blade. In one massive swing, he cleaves the deceased Humans in half, cauterizing them in the process. The bottom halves continue to stumble around as the top slides off, smoke emanating from the charred lacerations. The arms drag the upper torso towards Kaera, Merrick, and Radclyff before they finally succumb to their injuries. "A word of advice, utilize fire or acid if you encounter an enemy that can regenerate. Let's search other areas on the second floor that can support me." Kaera and Merrick nod their head in agreement.

Meanwhile, on the first floor, Arven, Jemeir, and Sylfinas remove obstacles in their path as they walk to a study room. Arven steps on a piece of glass and glances down, descrying a broken amphora that appears expensive. It's a complete mess, showing signs of an evident struggle. Multiple markings suggest that an ax is a weapon, as Jemeir concludes from staring at a bloody couch.

Sylfinas inspects a grandfather clock on its side. A flash of lightning briefly exposes his shadow on the wall before another flash reveals a monstrous silhouette rather than his adumbration. He turns around, alarmed, but nothing threatening materializes behind him, so he focuses on the clock. Its glass door is completely busted, and he notices a metallic object inside, comparing it to the clock. Way too diminutive to be one of its hands. "Take a look at what I found."

"What is it?" Arven inquires, standing next to his adopted sibling.

"I don't know. It's not one of the hands from the grandfather clock, but I found it inside."

"From my adventuring days, my guess is that it's only one half of a key to the main room," Jemeir says. "Perhaps the master bedroom."

"Maybe Kaera, Merrick, and Radclyff found the other piece already. We should let them know."

A noise startles Arven, Jemeir, and Sylfinas, causing them to jump and turn towards a piano. They behold a force pushing down on the keys slowly, producing a melodic sound as it performs music. It perplexes them as they don't see strings on some of the keys, and they still emanate the notes. Weirded out, they decide to search for another chamber. Sylfinas raises his hair as he detects a hand grab his arm, glancing over at a geriatric woman sitting at the piano.

"What's the rush?" She asks. "I'm not done with my music. Go ahead and sit on the couch with my husband." To enforce her suggestion, the door closes. In a sickening display, her head turns around like an owl, slowly jerking and breaking her neck to stare at him, Arven, and Jemeir. "Make yourselves comfortable."

The trio sits on the couch with the elderly man snoring in between them. He slouches forward, and his head slides off, rolling along a dusty carpet and still snores. Against the group member's alarms, the music continues to lull them back to a peaceful state. They all can perceive that something's off, but the sound is soothing. It makes them realize that they are lethargic. They deserve to close their eyes and relax.

"Wake up!" Sariel suddenly shouts, waking Arven, Jemeir, and Sylfinas up. She covers them in a veil that shields them from the draining effect. "The woman's draining your souls."

"Perfect," the woman hisses sarcastically. "They have a Spirit that just so happens to have Divine Nature."

"Nice try having your piano suck the life out of my Keeper and his companions. We like to listen to more of your musical talent, but we're on a tight schedule, so we must leave."

"And before the grand finale? I can't allow that."

"Then I'm afraid you leave us one option."

"I guess so." The old woman proceeds to shout to her husband. "Wake up, buttercup! Some people are disrespecting my music."

"Huh," the head speaks from the floor. "There are people that dislike my sugar biscuit's piano skills." Its entire body stands up from the couch, and it ambulates towards the head, screwing it into place. "They need to rethink their conviction."

"What's the plan?" Sylfinas asks Arven and Jemeir.

"Do you have any offensive spells, Sariel?" Jemeir inquires.

"I have one I can use three times. The closer the dead are to each other, the better."

"Arven and I will do that. Once they are near each other, you can finish them off."

"I like that plan," Arven utters.

The elderly man and woman advance towards the party members, hissing at them. Once they are in range, they projectile-vomit blood on them. It sticks to them like glue, and the temperature is hot enough that it causes burns on the victims' skin.

"Eww. There's blood on me," Sariel complains.

"You're not in your corporeal form, so you're not actually suffering," Sylfinas responds.

"Even the blade worthy for me needs to look pristine."

Great. I have a Spirit that's interested in making herself appear ravishing and is a bit solipsistic. "You should've picked a different profession then."

Jemeir is quick to retaliate against the undead, throwing his punches against the woman. Her head spins around rapidly, stopping with her facing directly opposite from its original position. Irritated, her hands twist her head back to normal.

"Don't you know that it's rude to hit a woman?" She asks rhetorically.

"You're dead, so that doesn't apply to you," Jemeir replied. "Plus, my training taught me to be an equalist, so everybody gets an ass-whooping." He glances at the man. "How does it feel that I literally hit on your wife?"

"Youths these days lack the proper manners I was taught. Allow me to teach you three how to be genteel gentlemen. What the?" During Jemeir's distraction, Arven appears next to the dead man, throwing him at his wife. They both collide, providing the opportunity for Sariel.

"Now's your chance, Syflinas," Arven utters.

"You're up, Sariel," Sylfinas orders.

"I'm on it. I'm on it," Sariel replies with a hint of sass, and she lends her power to her Keeper. "Divine Nature: Sacred Explosion!" They both shout together. A tiny orb of light sails across the room at the undead. Arven, Jemeir, and Sylfinas shield their eyes from the scintillant light taking over the entire space. They can only hear the undead howling in agony, imagining what they're suffering inside the divine energy. As the flash settles and they regain their entire vision, they notice the explosion's size is smaller in actuality, leaving a burnt circle ten feet in diameter and two piles of ash in place of the undead.

"That went better than expected," Arven enunciates.

"Let's reunite with the other half of the group," Sylfinas suggests.

After they reunite on the second floor, all six party members narrate their experiences. Sylfinas alerts Kaera, Merrick, and Radclyff about the key, theorizing that another piece lies in the bathroom to Merrick's trepidation. They encounter the remains of the naked corpses along the way to the lavatory. Only Radclyff stays behind as the rest enter the chamber. The only difference Merrick can observe from last time is the bathtub is now filled with sanguineous water instead of void. Believing that's where the key's missing half, Sylfinas suggests the bathtub as the location, and Arven volunteers to confirm it. He grimaces as the red water travels up his arm beyond his elbow, picturing a monster about to drag him entirely under. As soon as he senses a tangible object in his fingers, Arven latches on to it hastily and pulls it out, showing it in triumph. The jagged edges are a match, and Usse's heat fuses them together. With the unbroken key, the members return to the master bedroom, becoming confused as they can open the door now without it.

The bedroom, just like the rest of the house, is covered in cobwebs and dust. The bed is in a mess, with all the blankets in a jumbled bunch. A dark red stain is on the pillows, sheets, and the wall behind the bed.

The next thing to assault the group's senses is the smell of putrefaction and rotting flesh. It is coming from the bathroom. 

The boy stands in the middle of the room sobbing. He has a few minor scrapes and bruises on him, but he's in good shape. Sitting right next to him and comforting him is the ghost of Mrs. Drisdell. She is in her nightgown, and her hair is in disarray. Her body is coated in her own blood.

"Stay back," she warns in a raspy voice.

Sylfinas does the talking. "We're not leaving without the boy."

"He belongs to me."

"You know that can't be done. You can't take care of him."

"Nonsense. I'm more than capable."

"Mommy!" the boy sobs.

"Shh. Shh. It's okay. Mommy's here."

Sylfinas walks toward the bathroom. She notices. "Don't come any closer."

"I just need to use the bathroom." Actually, I don't. I just need to fully confirm my suspicion. His suspicion is confirmed as soon as he enters. He sees skeletal remains and decaying corpses of several small children in the bathroom. The boy's actual mother is part of the pile as well, and she's the most recent addition. Her body has been torn to shreds. Further inspecting the remains of children reveal that they lacked the proper necessities for living, mainly water. He returns. "Mrs. Drisdell, you know that he can't stay here."

"And why's that?"

"You can't give him the care he needs."

"I'm a mother. I can give him all the care he needs."

"That's not the case right now. I found the remains of all the other children you snatched up. They're dead due to mainly dehydration. You were once a great mother. Now you can't provide like you used to. The only motherly thing you can do now is to release him."

The Bloodied Mother starts to break down and cry. "All I want is to bring my family back together. Back to the way it was before."

"What happened on that night fifteen years ago?"

"It was the night during the Feast of Reflection. My husband and I threw a party, and it was getting towards the very end of it. A couple of close family friends and a couple of distant relatives stayed the night due to their long trip, and the weather was starting to turn bad. I thought I heard several commotions during the night, but I was too tired to process them. The next thing I knew, I woke up to a masked figure striking my husband multiple times with an object that turned out to be an ax. I got up and ran to warn others. I found our friends naked and dead in a bathtub, Emelius relatives butchered in the dining room or kitchen, and all of my kids dead in their bedrooms. The masked figure captured me and brought me back to my room, and proceeded to violate my body. Then he did this." She lowers her nightgown to reveal many strike zones on the top half of the body from the ax.

"How do you it was a he?"

"I heard his voice. Sounded like he knew me, but I don't know where I met him."

"We're going to find out who did this to you. I promise. Let's end this standoff now, and let us take the boy."

Her expression turns to anger. "No."

"What?"

"I intend on bringing this family back together. I don't care how many have to die for me to figure out how to raise them like a mother should." The Bloodied Mother grabs the boy and drags him away with him crying. "Out of my way! Don't bother pursuing me. Have fun dealing with these." The suits of armor became animated. 

"Go after her," Jemeir commands. "Radclyff and I will take care of the animated armor and possibly other things."

Jemeir and Radclyff distract the objects brought to life while Arven, Kaera, Merrick, and Sylfinas pursue the Bloodied Mother. She flees into the dining room. The dining room is one massive room with a long, rectangular table surrounded by chairs. There is a fireplace with a giant painting of the entire Drisdell family and a rug underneath the table. Attached to the chamber is the kitchen, and there are no divisors between them. Dirty dishes in the kitchen look like they've been left undisturbed ever since the murders fifteen years ago.

The group's presence annoys the Bloodied Mother. She propels a variety of chairs, silverware, and china at them, prompting Arven to break eye-contact with the painting. Merrick creates a dome of lightning. Instead of the projectiles bouncing off, they repel right back at her with a bit of lightning as well and hit her.

"That's new."

"When did you learn to do that, Merrick?"

"Just now, Arven, and I question whether I can do it again," Merrick huffed. That sapped even more mana than my basic barrier.

Kaera warns them, "Incoming!" They avoid the oncoming painting. Switching to a different source for attacking, the Bloodied Mother turns on a burner. She uses it to fling four bantam fireballs at them. One grazes Kaera, and another directly hits Sylfinas. The other two miss and start a fire. The specter flees with the child again. They chase her down a hallway and avoid the various obstacles she puts down. The chase ends in the basement, and it reveals something unexpected. There are multiple instruments, markings, and other stuff related to the occult and lycanthropy.

"It is over, Mrs. Drisdell!" Sylfinas exclaims.

She chuckles, "I still have tricks, Half-Elf." She lets out a high pitch scream that would rupture anybody's eardrums or worse. Since the party members are wearing protection, they are fine though they still have to cover their ears with their hands, suffering a throbbing headache. The boy is not so fortunate. "I guess I have to get dirty, after all." She tosses the unconscious child off to the side.

"Hey, Sariel, ready to come to help me?"

"I suppose." The Spirit pops out of the sword.

"Do you have enough for another Sacred Explosion?""

"I have two uses remaining before needing to go back unless my minute runs out. I have one more offensive up my sleeve that doesn't deal collateral damage like Sacred Explosion."

The fight begins with the Bloodied Mother making the first move. She starts by altering her appearance to something scary. It has no effect. Sylfinas then feels part of his life drain away as she touches him. Arven and Merrick both go with Arven being the distraction. Arven quickly lands a hit on her and creates an opening for Merrick to get up close for a Shocking Grasp attack. After Kaera hits her with the greataxe, Sylfinas knows that their attacks barely have any effect.

"You want me to attack her?" Sariel asks him.

"Go get the boy before he dies."

"I have to get close, but I'll try."

Sariel does make an honest attempt, but the Bloodied Mother stands in her way. Sylfinas uses Hell's Bane, which has more effect on her than the other previous attacks, ticking off the Bloodied Mother, and she lands a much harsher hit on him. A part of the ceiling collapse, and Arven, Kaera, and Merrick are forced to move back. The rubble separates them from Sylfinas, Sariel, the Blood Mother, and the dying boy. On Arven's side, they can see smoke from the hole above. The three make an effort to remove the debris.

On the other side, Sylfinas swings his sword and hits. Sariel casts her offensive spell, "Divine Nature: Guiding Bolt!" It does not hit as the eidolon ducks. The Bloodied Mother stands between them and the child. Her attack misses as she swipes at Sylfinas while he ducks. The combo between him and Sariel's Guiding Bolt puts her in a severely weakened state. Sylfinas lies unconscious as the apparition lands a critical hit on him, and the vast majority of his life sucking away from him. 

Arven, Kaera, and Merrick break through the rubble in time to witness Sylfinas fall. They respond with Arven and Kaera charging forward with Merrick preparing a Witch Bolt. All three strike simultaneously, causing the Bloodied Mother to go into the afterlife for good. Sariel is now by Sylfinas's side and casts her final spell in the form of Cure Wounds. He wakes up, coughs, and runs toward the boy. No amount of resuscitation can bring him back, not even the last remaining health potion. Sariel returns to the sword.

Jemeir and Radclyff arrive. "You vanquished the Bloodied Mother?" Radclyff asks.

"Yes."

"Hurry up and grab the boy. This building is on fire and could collapse at any moment." 

Arven picks up the dead boy. They leave the basement and enter the inferno, commencing to cough from the pernicious smoke.

Kaera shouts, "How is it already this intense?!"

Jemeir answers, "The mansion was abandoned for fifteen years. Lots of flammable objects ready for a spark."

Wooden beams and other pieces of the house fall around them as they leave. They turn around and see the entire building engulfed. Fortunately, no other facilities are close. The villagers gather around and watch the Drisdell Manor collapse into a pile of burning rubble. They congratulate the party, but Sylfinas stops them.

"There's no point in cheering. We failed. We did not save the boy and his mother." The mood dampens.

The man from the inn that told about the Bloodied Mother steps forward. "We'll get a funeral set up in the next couple of days. It's always a tragedy when someone is taken too soon, especially a child. I doubt this will help much, but you saved many more children and others from suffering the same fate as him and Eilein. Right now, everyone should go back to bed and get what sleep they can. Fire's not going anywhere."

The villagers and the party go to their sleeping quarters. In Merrick and Sylfinas's room, Sylfinas is talking to Sariel in the sword.

"Why didn't you save the child?"

"Because she was in the way."

"But you had a chance when she died, again."

"But you were dying as well."

"I gave you a command."

"My job is to make sure my Keeper, that's you, stays alive. That's priority number one taught at training. Any orders given would be ignored until a Keeper is safe. Had anything been in our favor, I would've followed that order without question."

Realizing that it's futile to argue and Sariel's right, Sylfinas gives an order, although he doesn't shy away from adding bitter disappointment in his tone. "Get some rest."

"Will do."

"I'm not sure if it will help, but here's something to put your mind at ease," Merrick offers, staring at the ceiling.

"And what is that, Merrick?"

"It's probably for the best that the boy did not survive."

"Why?"

"For starters, he most likely witnessed his actual mother being torn to shreds by the Bloodied Mother. That will forever be a part of him and haunt him. Then there's a chance that he'll be a street rat like I am. Believe me when I say it is not paradise living on the streets. I can see myself as that kid if he was still alive, and that is something I don't want him, or any other child, to go through."

"That's something to think about, but it still sucks that he can't live a long life."

"That's how life works. It takes a massive dump on you from time to time. Up to you to be buried by it or to dig yourself free."

"Thanks for your input."

"Anytime, friend. Umm… there's a small scratch on your pin."

"Oh." The Half-Elf inspects his pin, observing the minor blemish. "Must've been from the manor."

"Night Sylfinas."

"Night, Merrick."

Meanwhile, in Arven and Kaera's room, they lie awake in their own bed in their chosen sleeping attire with a blanket covering them. They stare straight at the ceiling.

"Can't sleep, Arven?"

"Nope. You?"

"No. My mind is still too active to go to sleep." She gets up and opens the window, and allows the night air to blow on her exposed physique.

"Someone's going to see you like that."

"Doubt it, but I don't care if they do."

"Suit yourself."

"I wonder how Sylfinas is handling what just happened?"

"He's kicking himself very hard right now. He takes things personally, even when he's not the reason for things going wrong."

"And you? How are you taking it?" Kaera turns her entire body, so now her bare back and fundament faces the outside.

"I'll admit, I'm a bit pissed off. I was not as effective as I should've been as a leader. There were formations I wish I could've done."

"We're still getting the hang of things working together. We'll take it as a learning experience, albeit a very tragic experience, and apply it for the future."

"My brother would never let what just happened to occur. He would've flawlessly executed the quest."

"I'm sure your brother was an effective commander, but you're you and not him. There are things about him that you could never replicate. Following in his footsteps is one thing. Being exactly like him will erase who you are as an individual." Arven doesn't see any issue with it. The female Fenri yawns. "Come on, let's stop dwelling on it for tonight and get some sleep. Tomorrow's going to be a long day, and we still got a long way to go before reaching Canir." She crawls back into bed.

He yawns as well. "Sounds like a plan. Night, Kaera."

"Night, Arven."

1