Chapter 56
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 56

(Near Meybury)

Groaning, Leonan wakes up inside Skye’s house on a couch in front of Cordea. Confused at first, he realizes she’s spoon-feeding him clear, medium-brown liquid from a bowl. The initial taste is delectable from the beef flavor, but the aftertaste is bitter to the point of unsavory, reminding him of medicine. Any thought of her being a benevolent being flies out the window as she force-feeds him the broth without any sympathies as if she’s disgusted at aiding him and venting her anger at him. That’s when he realizes he’s in too much agony and asthenic to flee from the furniture when he attempts it.

After coercing Leonan to ingest the last remaining amount of liquid, Cordea leaves him alone in the living room. Her visage tells the world that she’s dead on the inside. Lack of sleep, crying, and contemplating the future drain the life out of her, especially the latter. I have so much on my plate. I’m the sole protector and provider to my younger siblings now and even for one of the men responsible for kidnapping my brother. That will hamper my efforts at tracking Deryn’s kidnapper as soon as I extract information from that man on the couch. It’s the sole reason why I’m healing him. There’s Skye’s corpse that will start to stink and fill the house in its nauseating stench unless I remove and bury it. I have to walk over to Meybury to send a letter to mom, dad, and Barion and pray they are available to help me. Gods, this is overwhelming for an eighteen-year-old. A noise from the shed alerts her. Son of a shitty ho. Worst timing ever for another threat.

Not wanting to leave her fourteen-year-old twins to bear the responsibility of fending for themselves and the triplets, Cordea decides against confronting the source of the noise in the shed. That’s also where the secret entrance is, so she can’t use it to hide in the safe room, and she presumes that any of the unactivated, mechanical traps are still live and highly lethal. Skye's potion room is the first option that pops into her head for a safe place to hide. If the worst-case scenario materializes, they have some means of defending themselves and going out in a blaze of glory.

The potion room resembles a walk-in closet as Cordea and her siblings enter Skye’s bedroom. Within the space are shelves of vials of prepared potions. The liquid colors are across the entire color spectrum, and half of the concoctions contain chunks and particles like herbs, bugs, and bones. Each Beastboy or Beastgirl possesses two random vials in their hands.

Initially, they perceive no additional noises, assuming that the stranger is no longer on the premises. Then, the front door opens. They hear Leonan utter several words before detecting a brief scream followed by silence. The footsteps wander from room to room like the entity is scouring for its objective. They fear that they’re the target as the footsteps inch closer to them and enter Skye’s bedroom. Their heartbeats are the only sound that can match it in noise volume.

“I know you’re inside the room in front of me,” the entity speaks. It sounds feminine, and the tone appears not hostile. She is also near the group. “Come on out. I pose no peril to your life. I’m a friend of Skye’s and your parents.”

“What are our parents’ names?” Cordea inquires.

“Your mother’s name is Aila, and your father’s appellation is Radclyff though that isn’t his birth name. Also, I was there in Necerek.”

Placing her potions down first, Cordea opens the door enough to descry the characteristics of the female on the other side of the door. The woman is vastly different from Skye; youthful, smooth skin than old and wrinkly, black, straight hair instead of grey-white and curly, standing straight instead of hunched over. The only trait she shares with her is her pale skin color. Any man would fall head over heels at the sight of her, her dark attire increasing her luscious figure. As far as Cordea knows, she poses no imminence to her health.

“Who are you?” Cordea asks. “And why are you here?”

“I’m Narsica Grail, and I’m here to protect you and your siblings,” Narsica answers.

“I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but you’re late. Skye’s dead, and I need to remove her body before I know what a rotting corpse smells like.”

“Don’t worry about that. I already took care of it before I entered the house.”

“How did you know Skye was there and she was dead?”

“She and I had a bond that went beyond your typical friendship. We would sense what each other was feeling and usually completed each other’s sentences. That’s usually reserved for the best of friends and family members you have a deep connection with. Well, I sensed a disturbance in the air that she was in danger, and I rushed to help before she died.”

“She must’ve told you about us.” One question burns inside Cordea’s head. “You said you were friends with mom and dad, and you were with them in Necerek. Why haven’t they told my siblings and me about you, and why didn’t they contact you for aid also?” Narsica heaves a heavy sigh. Assuming she’s lying to her, Cordea shuts the door and locks it. “You aren’t actually friends of them.”

“No, we’re not. We’re neither friend nor foe. They probably forgot all about me. However, I am Skye’s best friend, and we share the majority of our lives together. That is the absolute truth.”

“What do I have to trust you?”

“What would convince you?”

Cordea ponders for a moment. How would Narsica prove to her that she isn’t a threat? It appears she isn’t capable of breaking the door, or she doesn’t want to risk shattering the vials, so she and her brothers and sister are safe for her to plan a test for Narsica. An idea forms in her head of what would be a significant first step in convincing her.

“A man kidnapped my twin brother, Deryn, and I’m trying to search for him. You probably are aware of the Gerridan man on the couch. I want you to interrogate him for information about their whereabouts. Bring him to the bedroom so I can listen in.”

“Say no more.”

Cordea listens to Narsica walk over to the living room. Following it is Leonan struggling to break free and voicing his disapproval all the way to the bedroom, where Narsica deposits him on the bed, not caring about exasperating his wounds.

“What do you want?” Leonan asks, terrified and in pain.

“One of your companions kidnapped a Beastman,” Narsica speaks. “I desire to know where he is, where he’s traveling to, and what will happen to him.” Cordea then hears Leonan yell in agony.

“I have no idea,” Leonan answers. He screams some more.

“I don’t have the patience for your games. Where are they?”

“Aaaaagggghhhhh!”

“Talk.”

“Ok-ok-ok-ok-ok, I’ll talk.” Leonan gathers his breath. “Somebody hired Callek and his crew to capture the young Beastmen and Beastwomen for him to exploit as revenge against a Fenri. After all the shit he went through, it wouldn’t surprise me for him to say “Fuck this” and default to selling him as a slave, either labor or sex, in Kraz.

“Why not bring Deryn over to the employer?” Cordea asks.

“Callek loathes when employers promise him an easy job, and it turns to shit like the current mission. The country of Kraz will pay him handsomely for his troubles, so the person behind the kidnapping will receive nothing. Port Direrun is where he’ll obtain a ship to sail over to the country. He may reside in an abandoned fortress near here to deliberate on what to do and recover from last night’s scuffle for where he is currently. It will take half of the day to get there. If he’s not there, then I don’t know. I swear that’s all I know. Please, don’t dig into my injury.” His divulgence convinces them.

“Did that convince you, Cordea?" Narsica inquires.

Cordea opens the door completely, standing in front of the younger twins and triplets. “Where is the fortress?”

“Over by where the workers are in detonating explosives for a railroad. It is a circular structure, and it overlooks a waterfall,” Leonan replies immediately, not wanting another jab in his bullet wound or worse torture methods.

“I’ll travel there immediately,” Narsica says, about to head out the door.

“I’m coming too,” Cordea utters. “You’ll need help.”

“I can take this “Callek” person on by myself. Besides, who would care for your siblings until your parents arrive, assuming that they live and the threat is gone if you die? Maybe the younger twins can scrounge sustenance, but that’s a long stretch. The triplets are screwed if they’re alone.”

“I can volunteer,” Leonan offers meekly, hoping it will buy some kudos.

“Shut up!” Cordea snaps. He silences himself. “As far as I care right now, a Roc can fly and snatch you, deliver you to her babies, and they peck your flesh off. You threatened me and my brothers and sister. Why would I allow you to babysit them?”

“You’re safer here than traveling to a potential fight, Cordea,” Narsica speaks. “Skye’s potions are an effective weapon to protect you and your siblings. It wouldn’t shock me to witness smoke and explosions while I’m at the fortress should the need to defend yourselves arises.”

“How would I know that you wouldn’t steal Deryn for yourself, kill him, or worse?”

“We know that he’ll suffer potentially his entire life as a sex slave if we wait and bicker if I’m trustworthy. You just have to accept my word that I’ll bring him back safe and sound.”

“I need something more concrete than your word.” Cordea isn’t sure if Narsica’s seductive, red eyes are trying to persuade her, but she refuses to fall victim to them.

“Stubborn ass daughter of Aila. Her trait exists in you too,” Narsica mumbles to herself. How much more persuasion would Cordea accept until she allows me to complete my mission? “I obtained the information from the man like you requested. What additional methods could I do to convince you?”

“Do you possess any method of observing through your eyes?”

“No.”

“Any conjurations of suitable guardians or magical barrier for protecting my siblings?”

“I have spells that fit the description.” Narsica extends both hands outward. “Art of Conjuration: Animated Gargoyles!” Cordea, her siblings, and Leonan shield their eyes from the bright light emanating from two spheres and the force sending dust particles and tiny debris into the air. Replacing each lustrous, blue orb is a tall, corpulent, stone gargoyle and a shorter, skinnier counterpart. 

“Are those… actually gargoyles?” Cordea inquires with trepidation. She’s over by her brothers and sister, comforting the triplets the most from the monsters.

“Qodong and Vanekquarr,” Narsica answers with a nod as she gestures to the tall and short gargoyles. The fat begins to pick its nose. By the way they act, a zombie would be a genius compared to them. “They aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed, but they are terrific guard dogs; they’ll prevent the Gerridan and anyone else from threatening your siblings. In addition, they are excellent maids and chefs, so you can follow me and notice if I do shady actions if you still aren’t convinced I’m good.” A sudden noise alerts everyone to the creatures as they attack a cockroach with their spiked clubs, destroying a dresser in the process. Cordea stares at Narsica skeptically, and Narsica shrugs. “At least those you cherish are safe from insects.”

“By destroying the house in the process,” Cordea responds.

“They obey instructions well.” Narsica issues a command to the gargoyles. “Qodong! Vanekquarr!” They stand attention with the hand salute like trained soldiers. She gestures towards Cordea’s brothers and sister. “Your jobs are to protect them, prepare food for them, and clean up the mess around the house. Don’t go berserk over insects unless they are as tall as them or larger, and don’t devastate the house and its contents. Minor destruction is acceptable if it’s for protecting them.” She directs the monsters’ attentions to Leonan. “This person is evil but incapable of doing harm right now. As far as I’m concerned, you treat him just like the Beastboys and Beastgirl. If he’s a risk to their lives or yours at some point in the future while I’m away, feel free to convert him to your famous stew.”

“You consume Humans?” Cordea asks, resisting the urge to gag.

“I prefer other sorts of red meat, particularly cattle; the bloodier, the better, in my opinion,” Narsica answers, licking her lips while salivating at the thought of ingesting bloody contents. “They enjoy Humans to the point that they won’t share with anybody. However, I finally taught them to not consume them unless I stated otherwise. Your siblings are protected under Qodong and Vanekquarr. I assume the reason behind your inquiry to my magic is because you intend on joining me to the fortress.”

“You are correct.”

“Don’t go,” Roffe shouts.

“Don’t leave us with the monsters,” Garnet pleads. To prove it’s a benevolent gargoyle, Qodong locates a bundle of roses on the nightstand near the bed and snatches them, tipping the vase over, spilling the water, and shattering the glass. It hands them over to her with the best smile its gnarly teeth can provide. “Thank you, that’s so sweet of you.” Qodong begins to hop on one foot after its shorter version smashes its other foot with its club, shouting angrily at Qodong in unintelligible gibberish and pointing at the broken vase. The triplets and Thyrius laugh at the bickering monsters.

“I appreciate your efforts at making me stay with you, but I prefer having the entire family together,” Cordea speaks. “As long as Deryn’s alive, I’ll bring him back. I’ll return before you know it.”

“If you’re done with your farewells, it’s time to leave,” Narsica responds. As she and Cordea leave, she double-checks to make sure she’s covered in layers.

“Any reason why you have thick layers over you?” Cordea inquires.

“We’ll ascend a mountain soon,” Narsica answered. “The air becomes frigid the higher we’ll climb as the snow indicates on the peaks.” Cordea decides to add layers of clothing to her list of equipment.

“Even your eyes require protection?”

“Sunlight reflects off of snow, and my eyes adjust longer than usual to a sudden rush of light.”

I wonder, Cordea thinks as she ambulates towards her destination.

Near the halfway point during the day of traversing rock, forest, and an incline, Narsica and Cordea begin searching the circular structure overlooking a waterfall. They notice the demolition site filled with workers, explosives, carts with stones inside, and the train tracks penetrating deep in the mountain they’re standing on. A powerful explosion knocks them off balance, so they rely on the nearby trees for support. Once the ringing in their ears ceases, they detect a constant roar nearby.

Following the noise to the source, Cordea and Narsica arrive at the waterfall. On both sides of the primary water current are snow dangling over the edge like icicles, melting away and adding to the water’s volume and gelid temperature. Behind the waterfall is a shrine inside a diminutive cave. Further down the stream is their objective on a rocky hill, and they walk towards it.

Abandoned is an understatement of the fortress. It’s a relic of a previous age, and time was lazy at preserving it. Sections of the structure convert into rubble, and vegetation is attempting to bury the past.

Before they enter, Narsica hands Cordea a trinket, a deep, red crystal in a rectangular prism with a pyramid on the top and bottom. In the center, there is a yellow flame burning inside.

“What is this, and why are you handing it to me?” Cordea asks, looking at the trinket and Narsica.

“It’s my final way of proving to you I’m trustworthy,” Narsica answers. “If you notice me perform an action you disapprove, you can destroy it. It will deliver you the power to vanquish and kill me. Remain out of sight while I fight your brother’s kidnapper, but maintain a line of sight on me.”

“I can fight,”

"How and who taught you?”

“Mom and dad tutored me, mainly the former. As for my weapon,” Cordea reveals her three throwing knives, “it’s these. Since it’s just one person, I stand a much better of living than fighting against an entire group from last night.” She actually requires resupplying her knives after losing most of them from Aila borrowing them. The three Cordea currently possesses are her own.

“Your job then is to prevent anybody else that exists in the fortress from getting near me or aiming at my direction.” Cordea nods in understanding.

Not long after Cordea and Narsica enter the fortress, they notice Callek stomping across the center courtyard with an apoplectic visage. They behold Deryn is nowhere in sight, assuming he’s hiding from him. Without delay, Narsica storms over to Callek to confront him. Her definition of engaging is what other people consider an ambush.

Qodong and Vanekquarr took a sizable portion of mana to summon them and maintain their existence. I better finish this fast.

“Blood Nature: Crimson Tendrils!” Beneath Callek’s feet, miniature, crimson tentacles erupt from the ground and drill into him. Entering and exiting at various points in his body, they restrain him where he stands.

“Aaaagggghhhh!” Callek falls over from the tentacles, unable to reach his revolver to protect him from Narsica as she charges at him. “Release me this instant!”

“Where is the young Beastman?” Narsica demands. She rummages through and removes Callek’s revolver and two daggers.

“Bastard’s dead,” Callek answers.

“Your rage suggests otherwise.” The tendrils constrict, and several of them burst out around his eyes. “Where is the Beastman?”

“He’s not here; I can tell you that much.”

Watching at the savagery of the torture, Cordea almost has a sense of remorse and contemplates crushing the crystal. At one point in her life, she might’ve, but now she’s aware of the cruelty humanoids are capable of. Callek is responsible for Skye’s death and Deryn's kidnapping. He’s the leader behind the raid against her and her siblings and is infamous for slave trading. For all she cares, he has zero redeemable qualities, and this is his comeuppance.

“Cordea, is that you?” She stares at the battered figure of Deryn staggering along the wall, covered in cuts, bruises, and his left eye is swollen shut.

“Deryn!” Cordea charges at Deryn to embrace him. “How’d you escape?”

“You know that I’m the best in the house, besides mom, when it comes to roguish activities. The man had to take a shit, and I lockpicked my bindings. Speaking of him, we need to leave before he locates us.”

“I wouldn’t worry about him.” To prove her point, Cordea guides Deryn to her vantage point and gestures towards Callek and Narsica.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s leave.”

“Wait! We need her.”

“Her? Why her?”

“For protection. My three throwing knives won’t do jack shit against a major threat, and it wouldn’t be much effort for a situation to be one. Plus, she’s the guide to Skye’s house. Apparently, she’s best friends with her and is a former acquaintance to mom and dad.”

Deryn’s lupine ears fold at the mention of Skye. “She’s dead, isn’t she?” Cordea nods in confirmation.

The twins walk over to Narsica as the bloody tentacles start to disappear. “I found Deryn,” Cordea speaks. “We can leave now.”

“Not after I do this,” Narsica replies.

Narsica finishes Callek off by retrieving his revolver, inserting the barrel into his mouth towards the roof, cocking the hammer, and squeezing the trigger. Like an erupting geyser, blood, brain, and skull fragments shoot straight into the air, and his body collapses. Relieved that he’s rotting in the Nine Hells, she and the twins travel back to Skye’s home.

It is nighttime when the trio arrives at the chaotic scene inside the dwelling. The gargoyles have asperity in simmering the food fight between Cordea’s and Deryn’s younger siblings, and they cease when they notice their older twins, leaving a messy scene behind. After cleaning up the mess, Narsica dismisses Qodong and Vanekquarr. She and the Beastmen and Beastwomen consume a proper meal, and the hybrids bathe in separate sessions before retiring for the night. As they enter their sleep mode, the last sense Cordea could perceive before falling unconscious is a noise from the shed. Try as she might, Cordea couldn’t open her eyes until the following day.

1