Chapter 2: Underground auction
659 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I got the carriage out of the stable. The coachman was still asleep in his courters which was a flimsy tent at the corner of the walls.

He’s not allowed ten metres near any of the woman of this manor.

Inside the carriage...

“...”

I glared at Beatrice who was grinning at me while massaging our master’s shoulders. 

Does she think I’m jealous?

My eyes couldn’t stop gazing at our master’s chest that kept jiggling, though.

“I will be entering an auction. They have many exclusive items up today. The two of you will behave. Do not tarnish my pride.”

Since it’s an underground auction, she has to avoid as many eyes as possible. The underground nobles don’t really speak out if they see other nobles in an illegal environment such as an underground auction. They are just as guilty for being there as much as the others they see. 

They typically sell and auction things directly from the black market.

That said, the black market is a huge business in the Brittany Empire. They pretty much control many of the criminal guilds, illegal trades and the production of narcotics which boosts a person’s strength. 

Beatrice was also bought from a black market’s slave trade. I didn’t know why back then but I do now.

“Check this description.”

Sylvia gave a sheathed dagger for Beatrice to appraise.

Beatrice’s eyes glowed with a bright light as she gazed at the dagger.

“It’s a fake, master.”

“Good job. I’ll deal with that merchant later.”

She has the [Appraisal] skill.

Many people in this world are born with the ability they call skills. Since Beatrice has the Appraise skill, she can check to see something’s rank. This is why she was so hard to obtain from the slave markets. She was special. 

Seeing as how our master likes to buy things with her enormous wealth, Beatrice’s skill can be helpful.

Skills started appearing after the first hero party entered our world. It seemed god wanted to change our world to match theirs in a way. 

Heroes can fully see a person’s status window which is quite amazing. They can see the person’s characteristic, their condition or even the level given by the system after it measures a person’s power.

I’m not sure what a status window looks like since I don’t have an ability like that. Lena’s power was casting [Longevity] on items. It was strange that she couldn’t see mine. That might just mean that I’m an ordinary person.

I really envy people like Beatrice. Even after she’s released, she can work for a blacksmith or even a mage tower to help them appraise items. 

What could I offer to anyone once my slave contract is over? 

They normally last five years. Unless you have Stockholm Syndrome or you’re a masochist, you’d leave after bring set free. I haven’t even made it past one year but I already fear for my life.

I couldn’t get those corpses of men out of my mind. How long did they remain slaves before dying? 

Even if I find my master beautiful, she’s an evil demon to kill people in such ways. 

Maybe she didn’t really kill them directly. Perhaps they died because they didn’t get enough food or they died from diseases. 

Maybe I should join the army after being set free. That’s my only option if I want to become a noble one day. If I earn enough achievements then I can earn a status.

Yes. That could be perfect.

And then afterwards I’ll get Lena back. 

“We’re here, madam.”

The coachman shouted from the front.

An ordinary restaurant appeared before our eyes. It was located in the middle of the eastern noble district.

“Ugh, slaves.”

“That one looks so malnourished...”

Many nobles were walking around ,flaunting their extravagant clothing and expensive slave lovers. I saw many noble women walking around with strong looking macho Demihumans. Judging by the collar around their necks, they’re slaves. 

Although a special kind of slave. They are bought to satisfy their masters like a lover would. Besides being sex slaves, they must not be harmed and must protect their masters. If something is breached in the slave contract then both parties are held responsible.

Beatrice and I don’t have such a contract with Sylvia. She can do what she wants with us since we’re regular slaves. Slaves of our status do not have human rights which is the norm in Brittany Empire. 

This sort of act was banned in other nations, though. Like the Holy Kingdom.

“What are you looking at?”

Sylvia glared at the nobles. They hurriedly moved away when they saw the Brittany insignia on the carriage.

“Humph. Let’s go.”

She pushed our shoulders inside the normal looking restaurant. 

Yes, “normal”. Everything is normal about this high end restaurant called “Let’s Eat”. They have a four star rating by many of the nobles which enter through their doors and exit with satisfied bellies.

As we entered, an extravagant and fancy interior greeted us, followed by the chatter of people. 

‘This place is full of nobles...’

I could see a few slaves like us next to tables sitting on the floor. They weren’t even given a bowl of porridge to eat. Being hungry and watching others eat in front of you would be torture to someone like me.

“How may I help you, Your Grace?”

A man wearing a chef’s uniform swiftly approached us with an amiable smile.

“Yes. Three seats for...” She leaned forward and whispered in his ears, “----”

His eyes opened wide before he regained his composure.

“Excellent. Will that be in coin, check or–”

“I have my reservation.”

She slipped a note into his hand.

“My, my. I shall personally guide you, my lady.”

He approached one of the waiters.

“Do not let anyone follow us.”

“Y-Yes.”

“Right this way! The VIP suite will exceed your expectations!”

We walked passed double doors only to see a dark stairwell going down.

“Excuse the interior of the tunnels. They are newly dug.”

“I do not care for how they look. So long as the products are up to standards then I have no complaints.”

“Would you like me to take these...” He looked at us with a disgusted expression, “...dogs out of your hands?”

“That will not be necessary. One will be my meat shield and the other shall check for legitimacy of the products I buy.” 

Sylvia said with an expressionless face.

“Ah, I see!”

‘Kuh...’

I already knew that the meat shield was referring to me.

“Kukuku...”

Beatrice laughed with her hand on her mouth.

We finally arrived at our destination after a few minutes passed. 

A giant steel door stood in our way.

“Please enjoy your stay. I do hope you consider visiting us again next time.”

He disappeared into dust the next moment.

“Disgusting demonkin.”

Master said with a twisted expression.

As she said, the chef from earlier belonged to the demon race. 

This entire underground auction is run by demons.

Why? 

That’s because if they show their faces to the public then the heroes will slay them without a doubt. Only few in the higher society know that demons live among us. 

The current Sword Saint Hero is a justice freak. He would kill anyone who classifies as evil. What better race to attach the word evil to other than the demon race?

“Wear your masks.”

I did as Lady Sylvia said and put my mask around my mouth. This wasn’t to keep us safe from disease, it was necessary to show we’re slaves. 

Since slave marks are tattoos on our bodies, it cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Instead masks that have the slave mark are given to us.

“Let’s go.”

She took us by hand and we entered through the steel door.

*

In contrast to the gloomy cave we came down from, a wide open area filled with theatre seats appeared within our view.

Neon lights lit the entire underground auction house.

–Going once! Going twice! Sold! This ancient weapon from the last era is sold to the man in a white suit for 500 gold!

I whistled. 

Humans really like to waste money on useless stuff. 

The thing he bought was a futuristic weapon named a “gun”. They said it was similar to the weapon the Gun Hero wielded. I was sure that was a bunch of crap.

“We will leave if they do not have what we are looking for.”

“What are you looking for anyway, master?”

Beatrice asked as we sat down.

“You do not need to know. I will only say that it is a person.”

‘A person?’

I thought we only came here so she can buy things for herself. Why a person?

–We will move onto the slave category! I hope all of your pockets are deep because these exceptional slaves will cost you an arm or a leg!

The plump auctioneer went behind the curtains and pulled at someone’s arm.

A mature elven beauty appeared. She was completely naked from the top. Large leaves were covering her bottom.

Although her tits were huge, they could not compare to our master’s.

–OOOOOH!!!!

The horny bastards immediately started betting.

–Hahahahaha! That is what I like to hear! Here we have a rainforest elf from the Gigono forest who was captured by one of our best hunters! She was apparently caught being fucked by a bunch of orcs! Gyahahaha!!

“...I was not!!”

She glared at him on the stage and shouted. I couldn’t quite hear what she said.

–She was enjoying it. His words! Hahaha!

She gritted her teeth as tears came out. 

–She is extremely aggressive so I advise the client to take some preparations before taking her to bed.

The woman fell on her knees and looked down at the ground.

The people were crazily placing price after price on her head.

–Bidding starts at 250!

She was then bought for 1200 gold by a pig looking noble man. He immediately left with her after he was done.

–Now feast your eyes on this!

The auctioneer pointed to the corner of the stage. 

A white haired girl possessing both beauty and elegance walked onto the stage.

She was as beautiful as if an artist has painted her. Her skin was pale and devoid of any spots. The bosom underneath her black collar closed dress was slightly inflated. The heels she wore tapped onto the stage as she confidently strode to show herself off.

She stood still on the stage and looked at us with arrogance in her eyes.

“...There she is...”

My master muttered.

14