Chapter 9: Decision
503 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Huh?’

“Oi, kid! What are you doing under the desk?”

The dwarf shop owner slapped my cheeks to wake me up.

“W,what happened?”

“You suddenly fainted when I came to check if you have chosen your items yet.”

He helped me sit in a chair and gave me some water. My head was aching like crazy.

“Ugh...”

Specifically, my eyes. This was the second time I experienced this. 

Could this perhaps mean that the black smoke represents certain death? The red only appeared yesterday when I was tens of meters away from that shadow who stood waiting for me and Celeste. Who I now know was Lydia. I could tell this since I saw Merrick in my earlier vision.

When we moved closer the red slowly turned into black smoke, dyeing the entire ally in darkness. 

Red means danger. Black means certain death followed by how I died through a vision. If that’s the case...

‘What does blue mean?’

My eyes only saw blue when I picked up an item. 

‘Could this mean...?’

“You missed Lord Merrick earlier. He took his son to go see that bastard brother of mine who for some reason has a better shop than me. Sure, my items aren’t top notch but that’s only because I don’t have the right materials!”

The dwarf kept grumbling to himself as he finished with my sword. I kept my gaze on the glass of water in my hand.

My hands wouldn’t stop shaking. 

I saw a wet stain on the front of my pants.

‘I pissed myself out of fear...’

Was my body that overcome with fear that it suddenly shut down? 

“Oi.” The shop owner spoke again, “Ain’t this sword a beauty? Where’d you get it?”

“Hm?”

I turned my gaze up and was blinded by a silvery blade in front of my eyes.

My eyes opened wide.

It was that Dáinsleif. 

“T-This is my sword...?”

“Umu. No wonder the gunk came off so easily. This is a sword of fine quality.”

He swung it a few times and then glanced at me with one eye open and a shameless smile.

“You know, I could take this off your hands for, say 100 gold.”

“...100?”

Was it really that valuable?

I instantly shook my head.

“It was a gift!”

“Hmm... a gift for a slave? Since when do slaves receive gifts...”

He grumbled again and finished cleaning the sword. There was a symbol of a white lotus on its hilt.(If you watched SAO then imagine Eugeo’s sword.)

“Um, I’ll take this.”

I put the leather armour and the chainmail down on the counter. 

“Leather armour and chainmail. Well, at least you won’t get killed immediately.”

‘Hmmm... that’s the exact same line like that blue screen.’

It can’t be that I have the ability to see descriptions of items like Beatrice, right?

I nodded as if believing my own words.

“Two gold since I included the handling of the sword as well.”

“What!? But you insisted on cleaning it! And how the hell is chainmail that much!?”

“Hey, you could’ve said no. Now pay up.”

‘Kuh! The blue screen was right. This scamming bastard.’

“Chainmail is usually three silver....” I grumbled and handed the money over. 

“Kekeke. Then you should’ve went to the blacksmiths in another city. A lot of adventurers are coming into the guild this year so we increased our prices.”

So that’s why the prices are so high. 

“Now get out if you’re finished. Slaves may come in here if they have business.”

The dwarf shooed me out after packing my items in the bag.

“Fine.”

I left through the door and took a deep breath when I got out. 

“Haaaaaa~”

The trembling calmed down somewhat.

I held the sword strapped to my waist and felt the cold metal on my fingertips. The cold of the metal calmed down my nerves and I was able to think rationally again. 

Judging by what Merrick said in the vision, Lydia told all of them what she saw.

‘But why?’

Why was I marked as an enemy? And why did she call me a Regressor?

All my questions come down to ‘Why’. 

“I can’t understand…”

I sat down on a bench and looked over the city’s buildings. My eyes were drawn to the majestic building known as the Adventurer HQ. The organization of all young people wish to work for.

Merrick is known to be the friend of the guild master.

I sighed.

“Now I can’t become an adventurer. There’s a chance they might discover me.”

There was also a possibility of another nation hero who happened to become an adventurer for fun. 

“It’s dangerous…”

I wanted to register but now my plan was ruined. I wanted to show Lady Sylvia that I was determined to become   a knight. And the fact that I hurriedly accepted her suggestion to join the academy…

“Haaa…”

If Lady Lydia saw something in me that marks me as their enemy, doesn’t that mean their children could as well?

I somehow forgot that Hero Abel is married to Lady Lydia. The two look so young but they even have two children. The other heroes also has children. 

If… if they also release red or black smoke then…

‘I won’t be safe in the academy…’

I clenched my fists. I saw tears fall onto my hands.

The academy’s teachings are sacred so they can’t be found anywhere else. Sure, dojos exist but they don’t offer exclusive lessons from the first heroes’ teachings.

The academy was built in honour of all the world’s summoned heroes. They were asked to share their teachings with the rest of our world.

Many noble children aspire to join those elite classes and become elites themselves.

But I… 

“I’ll stay weak forever… dammit…”

Maybe a secret technique. Or a skill that can only be unlocked if an Archmage looked into my meridians. Anything would do so long as it can make me stronger. 

There was even a time when I considered doping to become strong. Although, that method has far more downsides.

I looked up and saw a billboard that was hanged on a building.

  • Joint Academy Tournament! 

  • Coming this semester! 

All the nations will send their academy students to the Empire of Brittany to attend the tournament held every four years!

Ice princess, Hellfire, Salazar and many more heroes will send their children to our lands to compete against our people!

Become a candidate and you could become a disciple of a real hero!

-

My heart grew cold and my eyes went dead.

That one line: Become a disciple of a real hero…

If I saw that billboard two days ago then I would’ve been begging Lady Sylvia to enlist me. I would’ve wiped her butt or lick the dirt underneath her toenails if it meant becoming a candidate.

My desire to become a hero’s disciple would’ve caused me to go crazy.

“…Hahaha….”

My laugh sounded so emotionless.

The kids who were playing near me flinched and ran away from me.

I was smiling. 

The smile wasn’t that of happiness by any means. No, it was self-deprecating. 

“Ah, are you having a good laugh up there?”

I looked towards the blue skies. The sky was devoid of any clouds. The weather was nice and warm. The same couldn’t be said for my mind and heart at that moment. 

“You must be, huh? Destiny Goddess…”

The destiny goddess is the one who decides our paths in life. She must be responsible for what’s going on. 

“Haa… you bastard gods… Do you want me dead or something? Did I do something wrong in my past life?”

I received no answer. Well, that was expected. I might be going crazy in the head with depression knowing the heroes want me dead.

It doesn’t matter why at this point. I might hear why when I die and see the gods themselves.

I looked at the sharp blade of my sword.

“Should I kill myself…?”

It was , for some reason better to kill myself than seeing my idol kill me.

SHIING–

But then I put the sword back in the hilt.

‘I’m really that scared to die, huh…’

Normally when your life reaches a path of no return then you wouldn’t fear death. No, it wasn’t death itself that I feared. It was what would happen after my death.

“If the heroes loathe me then what of the gods who summoned them?”

My soul might receive the ultimate judgement. Hell would probably be better than the suffering an enemy of the heroes would experience.

“I’ll leave… yes… I’ll leave this empire.”

That meant I had to change my decision to become a knight of the Lady Sylvia’s household. 

‘I don’t know what awaits me out there but…’

It’s far better than staying on enemy territory. Territory of the heroes.

**

“You’re back early.”

Miss Anna said next to me. I ran into her when I returned from my trip.

I awkwardly laughed.

“Y-Yeah. I didn’t feel like going out much anymore…”

“Hmm… I thought you’d go to a better brothel than last time since you received a lot of gold. You should be careful about those cheap brothels, the girls can have many diseases.”

“O-Oh, you knew about that?”

I would also visit the red light district whenever I have enough. Although the services aren’t top notch.

I would’ve gone if not for my emotions being a mess right now.

“I’ll stay in my room for the next few hours. Can I ask Miss Anna to set some food aside for me?”

“…” She observed me for a second before nodding, “I suppose so. Greet the young lady first. She was worried after hearing you disobeyed another one of the Lady’s orders. She really is too kind for her own good.”

I really didn’t want to….

As I mentioned, she’s not the angel they think she is.

“Speak of the devil.” I meant that literally.

A luxury white carriage was parked in front of our fountain. 

Sophia Elizabeth Brittany stood there chatting with one of the servants. 

She had long golden hair, green eyes that seemed to shine like jewels. The dress she wore was a white sundress that emphasizes her curves. 

The wand she had on her waist meant she was a student at the academy. She has three mage stars which meant she was quite capable.

She was the very definition of a flower. A girl with a bright future ahead of herself.

“Oh, my~ Lady Anna~”

The young lady jogged towards us with a girly run. 

She hugged miss Anna when she arrived.

“I missed you sooooo much~”

“Fufufu. I missed you too, young lady.”

The two hugged each other tightly.

I quietly tried to enter the gate.

“Oh! If it isn’t my aunt’s slave! Hello, Luther!”

She hugged me too.

“U-Um, young lady, that’s inappropriate…”

I tried reasoning with her that showing any kind of affection for slaves as a noble is disgraceful. Many of the city’s people were also around us and looking this way.

“Oh, shush! How could I not hug you when you look so big and strong? Are you being fed well?”

She was overly touchy-feely with me.

“Let’s go, young lady. The madam might worry if you don’t go in.”

Miss Anna pushed up her glasses and glanced at me.

“Slave, take her baggage inside and stay in your room.”

She then walked past me.

“…Yes.”

I followed Sophia towards the carriage. When I looked at her all I saw was a wide smirk on her face.

“Been a while.”

Her entire personality changed when miss Anna left.

“E-Err…”

Her hands were on my pants and stroking my member from above. She bit her lips tightly.

“…Leave your door open tonight. Understood?”

She then changed into the angel Sophia everyone knew her as.

“And don’t forget to be careful with the luggage~!”

I saw Lady Sylvia come out of the door with a warm smile.

Similar to earlier with miss Anna, she ran into Lady Sylvia’s embrace.

‘Fuck, she’s staying the night?’

I unloaded the luggage and went past them. After putting her luggage down, I retired to my room to sleep for a few hours.

-

Author note: I'm not sure how long i can publish daily. There might be a day or a few days delay for some chapters.

11