Chapter 16
418 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today was the day when I would be having a meeting with Lord Houdart to sort out the conditions of our alliance.

Ayumi was the one in charge of preparing everything on my end. She presented me with several clothes for our meeting. One was a suit made of gold, which she forced me to try on, but the thing was so heavy I couldn't even get up.

I went with a simple black suit made from materials we had previously bought from the Empire.

Our ride was a Huey helicopter and two SuperCobras to protect us whilst in the air. I was fully prepared to see a fully gold plated Huey, but surprisingly it was painted white and blue.

Ayumi was to stay and manage the base whilst I was gone. I deliberately stored all the gold in the item box but left only enough in emergency cases.

Protecting me were several combat units, all transformed to look human, and as backup, the DFSF (Dragon Fang Special forces) was on stand by should anything happen. Just before we took off, I saw plates of gold were tucked away behind some boxes. I shivered when I wondered what they were going to be used for.

Our journey would take a bit longer since we needed to avoid towns and villages, but if some travellers managed to see a flying metal box, there was no way to prevent that. I doubt many people would believe them anyway.

We landed in the courtyard of Houdart's house, which was just a small manor house. I could see him, along with who I can assume is his wife and daughter, waiting for me. I approached him, and they all bowed down to me.

"I, Roland Houdart, am honoured to have you here at my humble home. Not just me, but all my people are thankful for the support that you have given to us."

"Raise your heads; it will be hard to talk like that," I said, my voice and tone suddenly changing to a more authoritative type for some reason.

"Thank you; please follow me to my house. But please excuse us for the lack of snacks and tea, as we are still recovering from the apocalypse."

"There are no worries there; in fact, I bought some tea leaves gathered from the forest." I had a box of my favourite type of tea leaves from this world to his wife, along with several other types. There were four large containers of tea leaves, so I had a unit carry them for her.

"Thank you very much for your generosity," says Roland as he gives me a quick bow again.

I followed him to a room inside his house, where there were only two sofas. I sat on one side, and he sat on the other.

"Again, I must thank you for bringing supplies to us in our time of need."

"Of course, as long as you become our ally, our support will never end," I said as I showed him a contract.

There were quite a few things on there, but all it says is show your allegiance to us, and we will provide any support as long as we can do it—also permission to set up a military outpost and mining drills in his land.

Most of these terms would look like it favours Roland's side, but in the long term, we would both profit. His people would be safe, and I get to chip away at the Empire's power. Someone needed to stop that Emperor, who only knew how to exploit his own people.

Roland was too deep into reading the contract he didn't even realise that his wife had returned with tea. Eventually, he finishes.

"You say that you will provide us with food and protection until we get back on our feet. And even after that, you say that only fifteen per cent tax yearly?"

"Why, is fifteen per cent still too much? Maybe I should lower it to ten." I said.

I didn't need money in this world for now. But it would help to have some to buy things with, most of the time we have been buying bulk amounts of goods, using chunks of gold—That's why only fifteen per cent tax.

"No, no, no, we will do fifteen per cent tax." he quickly says whilst signing the piece of paper and handing it back. I took a look and signed it as well.

"Welcome; now I have bought- "An obese man wearing golden laced clothes bursts through the door and cuts off my words. The interruption slightly pisses me off.

"Houdart, I'm here for the tax. Like I said last time, it's two gold per person now."

"No, this time there is no tax; my agreement with the Empire was broken, the Emperor promised to send reinforcement during the apocalypse, but the only thing that arrived was you."

"That's not my problem; I am only here to collect mandatory tax on the Emperor's behalf."

"Well, tell him that our agreement has been annulled! Now leave; you have disturbed an important meeting."

"How dare you talk back to the representative of the Emperor like that. If you continue to show disrespect, I will report this as an act of rebellion," he shouts, whilst spit goes everywhere.

I ignored him and continued with what I was saying whilst he was screaming and stomping his feet. I made sure that my voice was loud and clear for him to hear.

"Lord Roland Houdart, you have declared that you are now leaving the Empire and joining us. As a welcome gift, please accept this."

A unit carried a large briefcase and placed it on the table. Roland opens it whilst the fat tax collector goes silent. The inside of the briefcase was filled with gold bars; Roland's jaw dropped to the ground, and so did the tax collector's.

"I hope you have enough room cause I got like nine more of them for you," I announced as units bought more cases into the room.

"Ten boxes...all this gold... are you serious?"

"Yes, a special gift for the first member of our little alliance. Of course, there will still be gold for anyone who joins after, but it won't be as much, though."

Roland shakenly nodded at my words.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Houdart. If you show a sign of rebellion, the Empire won't hesitate to destroy you. Kill that brat and hand over all that gold, and I will put in a good word for you."

"Hahaha, "I laughed, "Houdart, there's no need to be afraid of the Empire anymore; as per our agreement, we will provide supplies and troops. You have seen some of our weapons in action, but do let me tell you, those are not even our best weapons."

"And who do you think you are, brat, think you can handle the Empire's might?! Once I return to the capital, I will make sure that everyone here is massacred."

"Oh, and why do you think you can make it out of here?" Roland says, for the first time, he had the power. All my units, on cue, begin to approach the tax collector.

"Wait, stop; I've got the seal of the Emperor; you can not harm a representative!" he yells.

"And do you think you can handle the might of my army?" I said coldly as the units restrained him, then took a sip of tea.

The tea that his wife made is so much better than usual. I might come here regularly just for tea, but I think Ayumi, who makes my tea, might get mad.

17