Chapter 46
85 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Danika and Nathan rode the Ferris Wheel together. They have been dating for a month and Nathan had something important to ask his girlfriend.

“Dani, could you…?”

“Nathan, I was wondering if…”

They both spoke at the same time, and then they burst out laughing.

“Ladies first.” Said Nathan, making a slight bow. The carrier they were in swayed in the wind, but they didn’t pay attention.

“I was wondering if you want to move in with me, Nathan.” Said Danika and Nathan fingered the key he had in his pocket.

“I was wondering if you can move in with me, Dani. I even have a key for you right here.” Nathan took out the key and showed it to Danika, just as she took out a key for her own rented house. More laughing ensured.

Nathan placed a hand over Danika’s, and he took both keys.

“I’ll put them each in my hand and switch them around, but don’t you look! You pick, and we will live in the house which key ends up chosen,” said Nathan, and Danika waved a finger at him.

“What stops you from pocketing my key and using an illusion spell to cheat? You are on the bad list. Practically, a hardened criminal,” she joked and swatted Nathan lightly. The carrier swayed some more as Nathan pretended to hold his heart.

“You wound me, my dear. I would never cheat in such a matter. Do you agree or not?” He asked and Danika nodded. Then she closed her eyes. Nathan picked this moment to peck her on the lips, for which he received a giggle.

Then he switched the two keys around in his hands until even he didn’t know which was where, and closed his hands. He closed his hands and was just about to tell Danika that she could open her eyes now when one of the rings of the carrier snapped. Nathan was forced to move forward, and he accidentally opened his hands, dropping both keys.

But they had more pressing problems. They were swaying dangerously in the wind, and neither of them had boots or anything with an air enchantment on them. Nathan hugged Danika and made sure her head was hidden in his chest, so she wouldn’t look down.

“What happened, Nathan.” Asked Danika. She still had her eyes closed and thought that Nathan was playing a trick on her.

“Nothing, nothing. I am just performing a trick. Keep your eyes closed.”

Danika was afraid of heights, and they were meters in the air. Nathan had to think quickly. The only thing he could think of was the telepathic connection everyone had with grandpa Thinker. Would the man help someone on the bad list?

Grandpa Thinker, I am sorry for everything. It is me, Nathan Reed. I am about to die together with my girlfriend. Please, help us. I will name you as godfather to my firstborn child if I survive.

Being a godfather was a very sought-after position. A godfather not only had to look after the child if something happened to the parents, but he also had access to the family’s mana reservoir. For a dungeon core, this was quite the boon.

Grandpa Thinker heard the call for help and wondered who this Nathan Reed was. He asked grandma Merriweather, and she told him it was one of the editors.

The dungeon core didn’t need to be named as a godfather to help. To not help was murder. It pained grandpa Thinker to know that people felt like they needed to bribe him for him to save their lives.

Using the connection, grandpa Thinker rushed out. He saw that most of the people on the Ferris Wheel were being evacuated. He clucked his air enchanted boots, and he was in the air.

Furthermore, he saw the only occupied carrier. It was the topmost one and hanging by a single link. But there was a problem. He could only carry one person at a time. When he left Alerion, he didn’t take anything with a lightness enchantment on it.

“Young folk, I am here to save you,” he said, and he placed a hand on the woman when he saw the young man shake his head when he reached out to him.

“Save us? You are the performer. What is happening, Nathan?” The carrier groaned and Nathan had to think fast. He pushed Danika into grandpa Thinker’s arms.

“Don’t move, young man. I will be right back,” said the old man, as Danika began to scream as she finally saw the state the carrier was in.

“You can’t leave him!” She screamed, but grandpa Thinker began his descent.

Up in the sky, Nathan began to see his life flash before his eyes. From his toddler years when he used to draw on the walls of his family home to his awkward school days when he never could talk to girls.

Then the macabre movie flashed with more recent memories. Of his dates with Danika. Of their work on the fair. If only they had a bigger budget for the Ferris Wheel than their fifty gold coins.

And the carrier finally gave out as if agreeing with Nathan, and he was falling. He closed his eyes and felt separated from the carrier. He didn’t scream. Danika had made it out. It seems like grandpa Thinker missed his chance of becoming a godfather.

Then a pair of strong arms caught him under the armpits and the carrier crashed below him. Nathan opened his eyes and saw the twinkling eyes of grandpa Thinker.

“Young Danika is with grandma Merriweather. Now, let us get you down, too,” said, grandpa Thinker.

“I am truly sorry for calling you an old man,” said Nathan as they descended slowly.

“Ha, ha, ha. Young man, I am old. I am more than two thousand years old. But I am sorry that I put you on the bad list. Not that my granny Merriweather let me keep you there. She kept placing you on the good list together with the other two editors and the two children. Now, what was that about a position as your firstborn’s godfather?”

Nathan gulped. Grandpa Thinker smirked. He may be doing good deeds as of late, but for a dungeon core, everything was part of their business plan.

5