Chapter 99
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There, on the peak of the mountain, was a ghostly apparition.

“So pretty,” said Theanore, and she released Marinus’ sleeve to go and say hi to the spirit. She walked, for she knew that if she ran, she could fall down and get hurt.

When she reached the apparition, she took a closer look. The spirit looked like a kindly old lady. Her hair was tied in a bum, and she was wearing a silver dress with an apron on top.

“Hello, lady,” said Theanore, and the spirit turned to her.

“Hello, little lady,” said the spirit, and she smiled when Theanore curtsied.

“Who are you, lady?” Asked Theanore, reaching out a small hand to touch the apparition. The fabric of the spirit’s dress was cold to the touch.

“I am Aurora. The guardian spirit of the forest of fireflies,” said Aurora, and she petted Theanore. Unlike the dress, her hands were warm. “And you must be the dungeon core that calls this forest home.”

“I am. My name is Theanore, and I am a princess,” said Theanore just as Marinus reached them. He was looking at the spirit strangely.

“Thea, who are you talking to?” He asked, and Theanore turned back towards him.

“To Aurora. She is the spirit of the forest of fireflies,” said Theanore, and Marinus paled.

“A spirit? Theanore, get behind me!”

“Young man, don’t you worry. I am not malicious. In fact, I will give you two a boon,” said Aurora. She collected some snow from the air and made two snowballs from it. Then she extended her hands to the children.

“You will get the most useful item from the snow. That, which you want, but don’t even know that you do.”

Theanore touched one of the balls, and it turned into a scarf. It was a big one and looked soft. She took it and wrapped it around her neck, and she felt warm from head to toe.

“This is so nice. Mari, you’re next!” Said Theanore, but Marinus was suspicious.

“What is the price for the offering, spirit?” Asked Marinus, and Theanore began to scold him.

“Mari, you are being rude. Aurora wants to gift us something for Yule. Right Aurora?”

“Correct. Don’t worry, child. I only have good intentions when it comes to children,” said Aurora, and Marinus finally touched the snowball. From it a necklace appeared with a locket. He opened it and saw the image of his mother on the one side and Theanore’s on the other.

“Thank you,” said Marinus, barely containing his tears. He hadn’t seen his mother in three years.

“Now, children, it is best if you go back down. The system of the dungeon must be getting worried. And your friends and family too. If you want, I can teleport you down and make a teleportation point so you two can come here anytime you want. You earned the right,” said Aurora, and both children nodded.

“Yes, please,” said Theanore, and Aurora made a snowman with a flick of her fingers and pointed at it.

“Just touch it, and you will be home,” she said, and both children first took each other’s hands and then touched the snowman as one. When they opened their eyes next, they were right in front of Crassus’ house. An identical snowman staring back at them.

Challenge I accomplished!

Theanore the nymph and Marinus the merman managed to reach the top of the mountain in the given time. As such, they get to keep their travelling gear. It will grow with them and never wear or tear. Congratulations, children!

Achievement unlocked: Meet the guardian.

The children share into this hidden achievement. The guardian of the forest of fireflies, old lady Aurora, has agreed to become the godmother of Theanore the nymph. As such, Theanore the nymph gets a free firefly at night as a companion.

A firefly buzzed around Theanore and then settled on her shoulder. She petted it and the two of them went to the house. When they got inside, they saw Esmer and Crassus waiting for them with stern expressions.

“Tania told us you are climbing mountains in the dark,” said Crassus. “What were you thinking?”

“They weren’t thinking. They are irresponsible little things! You could have broken your legs on that goat trail! I nearly ripped Tania a new one for issuing such a challenge,” said Esmer, and Marinus couldn’t help it. He smiled.

“You care,” he said in amazement, and their eyes softened.

“Of course, we do, Marinus,” said Crassus. He extended his hands and Marinus ran into them for a hug. Theanore was just about to join him when Esmer gripped her ear and tugged it.

“Little lady, I thought you're better! What do you have to say for yourself?” Unlike Crassus, Esmer was not as forgiving. She had been scared for the first time in millennia. If she hadn’t known that Aurora was watching over the two, she would have gone after them herself.

“I am sorry, mommy. I won’t do it again,” said Theanore, and then she eyed the hug that Marinus and Crassus shared with longing. Esmer sighed and let her go.

“Hug pile!” Yelled Theanore as she ran to the hugging duo.

Esmer chuckled and after a yell of “Hug pile!” She, too, joined. Then the tickling war commenced and by the time it was done, the sun had already risen.

“Today is Yule,” said Theanore, full of toddler energy.

“Did you write your letters to grandpa Thinker?” Asked Esmer, and both children nodded.

“Have you been good?” Asked Crassus, and this time they looked down at their feet.

“Well, apart from climbing a mountain without telling you…” Said Theanore, repentant.

“Well, I suppose you have to do a good deed quickly, then. Or else you get rocks and coal for Yule,” said Esmer, grinning. The truth was that Crassus, Claudia and she had already done the Yule shopping and there was a gift for all the children at the grotto. But if it meant the two would repent, then she was not above using the dreaded bad list to her advantage.

3