Chapter 102
43 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was one thing that every traveler had to know about Eomis. The terrain was uneven. That made the trek towards the capital of the Sapphire Empire, all the harder, for our three adventurers.

“When we get to a village, we are getting a wagon,” said Dereck, who was knee-deep in snow. All three of them were, but Diana was fairing better because of the scarf she had around her neck.

“We only have Elmar’s 10000 coins and ships are expensive. If duke Orlock refuses to part with his teleportation ring, then we will need to go to the forest of plenty. The safest way is by ship,” said Diana, and Dereck frowned.

“A wagon would cost us a single gold coin per day. We can even exchange something enchanted for the fare,” said her brother. Elmar was just as exhausted as Dereck, but he preferred not to complain. He was the one who dragged them here, after all.

“How about we take a break? There seem to be less snow under those threes over there,” he said, pointing at some tall walnuts. The three made their way there and got a blanket with a fire enchantment on the ground.

The blanket kept them warm as they took bread and cheese from their bags and began to eat.

“It would have been good if we have taken some fish,” said Dereck as he ate the still soft bread. By tomorrow it will be hard as a rock, but today it was just fine.

“The fish would have made our bags smell and spoiled too quickly. Besides, we have sweet meats. But we have to save them up in case we need to cross No one’s land,” said Elmar and the twins nodded, albeit Dereck did so reluctantly.

“Do you think it will come to that? Crossing No one’s land, I mean?” Asked Diana, slightly fearful.

“I’d rather it not,” said Elmar. “But the truth is I am a nobody. The duke might not agree to trade the teleportation ring for a life-extending ring. What is more, he will think I am an up jumped nobody. I am the only court wizard of a nation that just sprung up.”

“And Di is a Countess. Hey, Di, should I be ready to fight off princelings with a stick to defend your honor?” Asked Dereck, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“I am too young to marry, Dede. But maybe the Sapphire princess will like you. I hear she has a wart as big as an egg on her face. Quite the lovely sight, Sir knight,” said Diana as she burst out laughing.

“Prince Dereck, prince of the Sapphire Empire! Destroyer of the virtue of the wart princess!” Proclaimed Elmar, playing along.

“The princess doesn’t have a wart. She is Lea the Beautiful. That is what everyone calls her,” said Dereck, insulted that someone would think he would end up with a girl who had a wart.

“She is the Emperor’s daughter. Of course, everyone will call her that. Or their heads will roll,” said Diana. The three heard a noise in the bushes, and they turned to look at the direction from where it had come from.

“Probably a rabbit,” said Elmar. Although after Hades, he viewed rabbits with more respect. “Did you two finish eating?”

“Just a sec,” said Dereck as he scarfed the last of his meal in two quick bites.

“Done,” he said with a full mouth.

“Oh, Dereck,” said Diana. She, too, had finished her meal, but she had done much more dignified.

The bushes rustled again, and a frog came out. Which was extremely strange. Frogs were supposed to hibernate during winter.

“Hello, are you a prince?” Asked the frog Dereck.

“You can talk?” Asked the blonde, blue-eyed, boy.

“Answer the question!” Snapped the frog.

“No, but I am a knight. My sister is a Countess and my friend here is a Lord court wizard. We are from the nation of the forest of fireflies,” they were even still within the nation’s borders, so their titles should hold some sway.

“I am in dire need of help, my Lady,” turned the frog to Diana. “I have been cursed to become a frog. I need a royalty to kiss me for the curse to be lifted.”

The frog was now on the blanket, and it made itself comfortable.

“You wanted me to kiss you?” Blanched Dereck.

“I have been like this for three years now, Sir knight. I am not picky. I am a duke’s son. Perhaps you have heard of my father, Duke Orlock?” Said the frog.

“The court wizard? We want to ask him for a boon,” said Elmar, and then he looked at Diana pleadingly. “Your title is the highest of the three of us. Give it a shot?”

“He said royalty, not a Countess,” said Diana. She wanted to avoid kissing a frog, much less a talking one.

“Come on, Di. The poor man has been imprisoned in his body for three years. Have a heart,” said Dereck, snickering.

“I will reward you, fair Lady. Anything you wish,” said the frog, and Diana scooped it up.

“Even a teleportation ring?” Asked Diana with a calculating expression.

“Even that,” agreed the frog. Diana gulped, prepared herself for the slimy taste of the frog’s skin, and kissed it. Then she fell back as there was a body over her own.

“Get off my sister, duke,” said Dereck, tugging the handsome red haired, golden eyed young man from Diana.

“I am not yet a duke. That is my father,” said the man, and he looked down at Diana. She was blushing bright red.

“Dereck, give him your spare clothes!” Screeched Diana, mortified that there was a naked man hovering over her.

The man covered his privates and hid behind the nearest walnut tree. Dereck got one of his three change of clothes, and handed him the wrapped bundle, as well as his spare shoes.

“We need to buy you clothes of your own when we get to the village,” said Dereck as the son of the duke dressed.

“I am grateful for your kindness. The teleportation ring is as good as yours,” said the man. “My name is Lucius, by the way. Lucius Orlock.” Said Lucius, and he emerged from behind the three fully clothed. The clothes were a bit small on him. He didn’t have a jacked, and so he was given the blanket to wrap himself in. For the first time since the summer left these lands, Lucius felt warm again.

3