Chapter 113
32 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cassius’ breath hitched when he saw the small figure in white. She had gotten her veil off at one point, and he could see her strawberry-blonde curls. He blushed. She was adorable. Not a monster at all like his mother claimed. She was prettier than Eliza Orlock, and Cassius had thought that it was impossible for anyone to be better looking than his friend.

He looked at Eliza and saw that she was smiling brightly. He looked at her groom and had to admit that he was good-looking too. Cassius pointed his blue eyes at his father. Emperor Casimir was frowning.

What for? Wasn’t father the one who suggested the matches? Asked himself Cassius. Sure, mother had raged when she heard of them, but surely even she could see that there was nothing wrong with Princess Theanore and Duke Marinus.

The herald blew a trumpet and introduced the two. The crowd cheered and they stepped forward. Cassius noticed that the Princess was holding the Duke’s hand. He frowned at this. Maybe they were very good friends? Hadn’t father said something about them wanting to marry each other?

The Duke brought the Princess’ hand to his lips and kissed it. Then he released it and the Princess stepped forward. For the first time in his life, Cassius felt jealousy. He needed to keep his wife from her friend, before she made a laughingstock out of him.

Cassius went to his intended and held up his hand. She regarded him mistrustfully.

“Why do you want to make the super special best friend forever pact with me? Because your father told you to?” Asked the Princess, and Cassius blinked.

“The what now?” He asked. The Duke stepped forward.

“She means why do you want to marry her? She still doesn’t understand the concept. She may look as a two-year-old, but she is actually a seven-month baby.” Said the Duke and Cassius regarded his bride. She pouted at him when she didn’t get an answer.

“You are beautiful, Princess Thea.” Said Cassius when the pout was combined with the trembling of Theanore’s lower lip. “And I would like us to be more than best friends.”

“There is noting better than best friends.” Said Theanore, and she took her arm out of Cassius’ hold. “You are being silly.”

“Your Highness, can we speed this along? It is nearly their lunch nap time.” Said a man behind the Princess, probably her father. What was his name again?

“Lord Crassus, do you give me your blessing to marry your daughter?” Said the rehearsed line, Cassius.

“I do. Don’t make me regret it, Your Highness.”

Then Crassus nudged Theanore towards Cassius, and Cassius took a hold of her small hand again. To try to cheer her up, he swung their hands with every step. He heard a giggle and knew he had succeeded.

Next, Eliza ran pass them and to the Duke. Cassius watched from his place next to his parents.

“Hi.” Said Eliza Orlock as she curtsied. “I am Eliza and to be your wife. You have to answer three questions first, or I am calling the marriage off.”

Marinus perked up at that. This could be his way out.

“What is your favorite color?” Asked Eliza.

“Yellow, like Theanore’s hair.” Answered Marinus.

“Don’t you like my hair too?” Asked Eliza, twirling a stand in her fingers.

“It is pretty, but…”

“Wonderful. Next question: What do you like to eat the most?” Asked Eliza.

“Cookies. Chocolate chip ones.” Said Marinus. He was going to add that he liked the ones made by Theanore the best, but found it too cruel.

“Me too! Although, I prefer vanilla cookies. Now, last question: Do you think we can become friends?” Asked Eliza, hopefully.

Marinus took a good look at her. She reminded him of Theanore then, except older. He couldn’t say no.

“Sure. Let us be friends.” Said Marinus. Eliza hugged him and then tugged him to the altar. The priest began to speak.

“We are gathered here today for the union of these four children. A union that will unite the Empire once more and bring peace to the land…”

The priest drone on and on about peace and responsibility and finished with an hour-long speech about prosperity. Finally, he finished with:

“And may you continue your lines and bring peace and happiness to your people.”

Theanore hid a yawn in the sleeve of her dress. It was way pass her bedtime and she was tired. She wanted her dolly and a nice, soft, bed. She also wanted a bedtime story. Instead, she was led to a big table and placed next to the Empress.

The woman tried to smile, but Theanore could see her heart wasn’t in it. There was a bad look in her eyes that Theanore didn’t like. Even so, the Empress piled Theanore’s plate high with all types of tasty smelling foods.

“You eat up, my dear. Tell me, what do you usually do at your…grotto?” Asked the Empress. She wanted to say dungeon, but found it would be rude.

“I build things with my builder ants. Collect silk from the silk spiders. If the silk is not collected, they’ll capture my Colorful Egg specters.” Said Theanore, and she yawned again. The Empress brushed an errand curl from Theanore’s face.

“You have chickens, my dear?” Asked the Empress. She found it funny that someone who claimed to be a Princess had livestock.

“Yes. And giant hamsters, and puppies, and normal hamsters, and two murder muffins and goats and sheep.” Said Theanore. Cassius smiled at that.

“Mother, can I get some animals too?” He asked. The Empress frowned.

“You are a Prince, Cassius. Leave the livestock to the farmers.” Said the Empress. Theanore didn’t see the insult in these words, but Cassius did. He was angry on his bride’s behalf, and he opened his mouth to defend her when the Empress send him a glare.

“Cassius, Thea has been yawning for a while. Go and make her comfortable at the inn.” Said the Empress. Cassius took Theanore’s hand and he was off. The Empress smiled. She hoped the broom closet sized room fit the nymph. And if not, well, she couldn’t complain.

3