Chapter 126
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Bob, when we met, you were hurt. What hurt you?” Asked Diana. Bob had long since healed from his wounds, had done so when Elmar had touched his wound with his staff.

But the Ogre was massive. Whatever could have hurt it to this extent must be formidable. What was worse, the wound had been fresh, so it must be nearby too. Could even be following them.

“A half Giant tried to mouth off to Bob, but Bob and Hob taught him a lesson. Fear not, little girl.” Said Bob. Diana nodded.

The horses were keeping pace with the Ogres, and they had left the forest behind them. Now, they were in a valley that seemed to go on forever.

“Gob, what is this place? We have been riding for two days, and we are still not out of the valley.” Asked Elmar. The quiet in the valley worried him. It looked as if it was devout of life.

“This is the necromancer Mariann’s liar. Gob doesn’t like it either, but you have to pass through to get to the flat lands.” Said Gob. Elmar paled when he heard it.

“We must go back! A necromancer is bad news, everyone.” Said Elmar. Gob waved his hand at him.

“Mariann sleeps and is only interested in reanimating rabbits. But she will talk your ear off. Now, Garlock’s tribe of giants is what we have to worry about in the valley. Gob nearly lost a hand passing through these lands before.” Said Gob. His brothers nodded.

“We Ogres look after one another.” Said Hob, proudly scratching his chest. “When Gob was in danger, we charged right in the camp, and we got him out. But back then we had the whole tribe with us. No such thing now.”

“Why not, Hob? An Ogre tribe to protect us would be most welcomed.” Asked Diana. Hob scratched his head next.

“We grew up. And we are men. Men walk the world alone.” Replied the Ogre. Lucius pulled up his sword when he heard thundering steps.

“What is this?” He asked. The Ogres waved their hands towards him to get his attention.

“The giants have smelled us. Come, we must hide. There is a cave over there.” Said Gob, and they all ran towards the cave. They slipped in and delved further inside. The horses didn’t want to go much further in, though.

“You lured us into a trap.”  Said Lucius, pale. 

He raised his sword towards the Ogres, and they made a threatening step towards him.

“You hide away that toothpick before you find it in your leg!” Roared Gob. The thundering steps came closer. The horses got spooked so much, they threw their riders and ran out.

The adventurers and the Ogres saw giants chasing after the horses from the safety of the cave. All discord was forgotten, and they ran inside the cave. They walked further in and were relieved when the tunnels of the cave became smaller than what a giant could pass through. Then, they saw a door and a sign before it.

On the sign was written:

Dwarven property: Go back if you are a citizen of No Man’s Land. We will drive you out with force if you don’t. Anyone else is welcome to come and take their business to the finest dwarven city in these lands: Whitestone Recluse.

“We have heard of this place. The dwarves inside are vicious.” Said Gob. He made a step back, his brothers followed.

“We won’t ask you to come, then.” Said Diana soothingly. “Farewell and stay safe.”

And the three Ogres were off, probably to wait for the giants to catch the horses, so they could go back to the forest. Dereck knocked on the door when the Ogres were out of sight, and it opened. There was a dwarf on the other end.

“Hello. We are looking for a save passage to the forest of plenty.” Said Dereck. The dwarf nodded and stepped to the side to let them in.

“We have tunnels leading there, but it will cost you.” Said the dwarf. The party had only half of their beginning funds, but if it meant that they wouldn’t need to pass through No Man’s Land, then it would be worth it.

“We have money.” Said Elmar, and he patted his dimensional bag.

“Who says anything about money? You have to participate in the tournament.” Said the dwarf. All four looked at each other.

“What tournament?” Asked Lucius. “I was told that you dwarves don’t do such frivolities.”

“We do have one tournament, though. The tournament of spirit. For lady Persephone.” Said the dwarf. Elmar smiled brightly.

Could Hades not know that his wife was already in this world? He needed additional information.

“Where is lady Persephone? Can I speak to her?” Asked Elmar. If she was already here, then he could unite her with her husband that much easier.

“No, she speaks to us through the mirror. And the mirror is broken. That is why we hold the tournament. Whoever can repair the mirror and speak with the lady, will get whatever it is they wish.”

“We will participate. Take us there.” Said Elmar and the dwarf began leading them down a set of carved stairs. They were marble, and the safety rail hugged the cave’s wall. There were also strange drawings on the walls.

Elmar saw a rabbit with shark teeth. Could these dwarves know of Hades too? He hoped not. They reached an underground forest and the dwarf went to one of the trees and knocked on it three times.

“Dawin, son of Dalin, is here bringing new contestants.” Said the dwarf. A woman stepped from the tree. She was beautiful, Elmar thought. She had brown hair and brown eyes, and was slender as a willow.

“Dawin, go back to your post. I will lead the guests from here. But first, you must be hungry.” Said the woman. “I am Elaine the nymph. Pleasure to meet you.”

2