Chapter 134
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Archibald looked around at all the presents in wonder. The red fiend and the blonde nuisance had made him many things! He touched one of the packages and then retreated his hand with a squeal.

He needed to be careful. The red fiend and the blonde nuisance were trying to use him for something. They were always with him and his big sister. They gave her things too. But Archibald knew them by now.

They wanted to separate them, him and his big sister. Then Archibald will be all alone, just like when his parents went to sleep and never woke up, and he came to this place.

He had cried so much when he was hungry and his mother didn’t stand from her bed to feed him. The noise had attracted the auntie who lived next door, and she had cried by her parents’ bedside before a man in white came and took them away.

Archibald had been shipped here and had found his big sister. She wasn’t really his sister, but she fed him, changed his nappy and clothes. Gave him baths and belly rubs, and patted his back after every meal.

He loved his big sister very much. But the red fiend and the blonde nuisance wanted to stand in the way of this. He ran back to his big sister and clutched her pink, frilly dress. Placing his thumb in his mouth, he glared at the two who wished to take his sister away.

“Come on, Archie, open mine. I went to Mirstone to get you new toys.” Said the red fiend. Archibald was tempted. His big sister let him play with her dolls, but he missed having toys for boys.

But no! He couldn’t let the red fiend lead him astray. He was not going to replace his sister with a shiny new toy. She was all the family he had left. He screamed and frowned and then hid behind Theanore.

“You are scaring him.” Said Theanore, finger raised at the two. “Leave the presents here and go check if the water for the bath is the right temperature.”

A chorus of “Yes, Thea.” followed. The red fiend ran towards the door, but the blonde nuisance was faster, and he got through and then slammed the door in the red fiend’s face. Archibald giggled, they were quality entertainment, despite being evil.

Theanore turned to the boy behind her and took a random present from the table.

“Archie, they are gone. Open it now.” She said, and Archibald took the present with shaky hands. He looked up at Theanore and jumped up and pecked her on the cheek. Then he tore the wrapping paper and found a stuffed fish inside.

“’ish.” Said Archibald, holding it high.

“Where is the fish, Archie?” Asked Theanore as she hid it with her shall.

“’ish ‘ere.” Said Archibald, uncovering the fish and giggling. They repeated this a couple more time and then Theanore handed him another present.

“Now open this one, Archie.” She said with a bright smile. Archibald tore the wrapping paper of it too and found inside a salty cookie. He pressed it to Theanore’s mouth and spoke.

“Nom, nom.” Said Archibald and Theanore took a bite from the cookie. She patted her stomach and took the cookie from his hands.

“Now you, Archie. Eat up.” Said Theanore, and Archibald took as big a bite as he could from the cookie. It tasted delicious. Theanore took out a napkin and cleaned his face from the cookie crumbs that were around his mouth.

Theanore placed the cookie on the table and took the next present.

“Ok, Archie. Last one for today.” Said Theanore. There were more presents on the table, but if she gave three presents to Archibald per day, then he would have new presents for the entire week.

When Archibald opened that present, he was amazed. It was his parents in a picture.

“Ah!” He said as he held the picture to Theanore. “Mama.” He pointed at his mother and he teared up, Theanore wiped his tear away with a new napkin. “Papa.” And then a tear fell down his face. He missed them very much. “Archie.” Said Archibald finally as he pointed at himself.

Hugging the picture to himself, he leaned into Theanore and wept. Theanore hugged him and tried to calm him down, but he was inconsolable.

“Miss them, big sis.” Said Archibald as he wept. “They won’t wake up.”

Theanore hugged the boy closer to herself. She didn’t know what to say. Her knowledge of death was limited, and she was happy with that. But in times like this when she needed to console someone, that was to her disadvantage.

Then the two boys entered the house, and they immediately went to hug Theanore and Archibald. Cassius saw the framed picture and kissed Archibald’s hair.

“I had duke Orlock make it for you, Archie. So, you won’t forget your parents.” Said Cassius.

“You are good.” Said Archibald as he began to quiet down.

“And I got you the fish and made you the cookie. Do you want to help me cut the dough next time, little man?” Asked Marinus. Archibald frowned at him.

“I no little! I big. Big as big sis.” Said Archibald, and he raised his little hand as far as it could go. It reached Theanore’s nose, but that was about it.

“Apologies, you are practically a man grown, Archie.” Said Marinus with a smile. When Archibald stopped crying, the hug pile separated.

Cassius took the small plush ball from next to the door and waved it in front of Archibald.

“Do you want to kick the ball, Archie?” He asked as the child nodded. Furthermore, he placed the ball on the ground and Archie swing his leg at it. He missed it, and then he began to jump in place until the ball moved by itself.

“Ah!” Said Archibald. All three children clapped at his efforts. They spend until their lunch bedtime kicking the ball inside the house, bath forgotten. When Crassus found them, he grounded them all to stare at the wall. They could have broken something, after all.

2