Chapter 159
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elmar stared at the new story edition of the fairy tale about the inn. A demon was going to come here in two days and no matter how much they tried to change that the story kept changing their fortifications, the story kept getting grimmer.

The newest edition had shambling corpses coming in the inn together with the demon. They were trapped inside because of the rain. One of the guests had tried to run, only to be covered in bubbles when he got wet by the rain and die screaming.

The boy closed his eyes and called out to Hades. Surely, if someone knew how to get out of this, it was him. Soon, he was in the land of plenty. But it smelled of sulfur and its skies were red.

“You failed.” Said Hades instead of a greeting. Elmar turned to look at him, his eyes pleading for help.

“You can help us. Only you can. Can’t you force the demon here? You are a God, surely you can.” Said Elmar. Hades chuckled.

“I do not preside over demons. But, perhaps if you get me into your plane of existence, I can help with the fighting.” Said Hades. Elmar wondered what Hades will ask of him, but with someone like him on their side, it would be better than to be defenseless.

“What do I need to do?” Asked Elmar. Hades went and placed a hand on his cheek.

“Have you ever killed, Elmar?” Asked Hades. Elmar’s thoughts went back to the dungeon core of the dungeon of lies. It had died, but not because of Elmar’s efforts alone.

“Not by myself, no.” Said Elmar. Hades lightly slapped his cheek.

“And you call yourself my champion? Well, there is only one way to get me in your little inn, but the cost is great. I would require a sacrifice. One that is dear to you. Ask yourself, is one life worth more than the lives of everyone at the inn? Now, get out of here.” Said Hades and the land blurred, and Elmar woke, drenched in cold sweat.

A life that was precious to him? Dereck came to mind. They had been thick as thieves since they first met. Elmar was not close with anyone else. He didn’t want to kill Dereck, though. The boy had so much to live for. There had to be another way. A barrier around the inn, perhaps?

Elmar went to the welcoming area and touched the ground. Then, he spoke.

If fire comes, doze it with water.

If a corpse comes, show it the light.

Protect everyone from doom and gloom.

And don’t falter in the dark.

He could feel a powerful barrier wrap itself around the inn. Then he got up and went back inside to check what was written in the book. He smiled when he read that the demon and corpses will be held at bay by the barrier for seven days. He could work wonders in that time.

Elmar went back to bed and closed his eyes. He dreamt that he was in the welcoming area and that Dereck was with him. Dereck was covered in deep cuts, and Elmar was closing in on him.

“No, I won’t!” Thought Elmar. He tried to wake up but couldn’t. He could only watch, a prisoner in his body, as the image of himself ran to Dereck and plunged the knife in his chest.

Then, Elmar woke. He was in Dereck’s room, and he was holding a knife. He held back a sob at what he had nearly done. Then, he heard Hades’ voice.

“Go ahead. Seven days are nothing. I can gift you eternity.”

“I won’t!” Screamed in his mind, Elmar. He was reminded now that Hades was dangerous. The deity had lured him in a false state of security with his easy smiles and riddles, but the thing was not to be trusted. For all he knew, Hades had lied and was the one to send the demon and the corpses.

He heard thundering footsteps and looked towards the direction of the sound.

“Everyone, come quick. There is a swamp golem outside trying to break through the door.” Called the panicked gnome. The door of the inn was pure iron, but a golem was naturally strong.

“Now, that was me. See what happens when you don’t listen to me, Elm?”

Came Hades’ voice with a giggle. Elmar paled and ran towards the door. There were fist sized dents in it, but the iron was still holding strong. He couldn’t exit the inn to fight the golem because of the rain. But he could still do something else.

Swamp mud and water gather.

Rocks for eyes, bark for skin.

Make a lion as big as this inn.

And have it protect the people within.

Elmar could hear trees being uprooted, and the golem stopped his attack. The giant lion had taken a lot out of Elmar. He could count at least twenty mana crystals worth of mana being poured already, and the lion still took more.

Elmar felt faint and he sat on the floor. As the sounds of battle came from outside, he knew he couldn’t keep the lion after it had defeated the golem. It took a magic crystal per minute to be sustained, and Elmar didn’t have the kind of mana to keep this up.

“There is a simpler way. One life, Elm. What is a life compared to numerous more?”

Elmar shook his head and gripped the carpet that was below him. He bit his lower lip.

“No!”

He screamed in his mind and something hit the inn hard and then the battle was over. Elmar went to the nearest window to see a big pile of mud and the lion laying down to rest.

The boy could also see something coming through the forest. With red shining eyes and rotting flesh, it was the corpses of the story. Elmar bowed his head and gripped the knife with which he had nearly killed Dereck in his sleep.

“You want a life that is precious to me?”

Thought Elmar as Garry looked at him with worry in his soft brown eyes.

“Take it.”

And Elmar plunged the knife in his own throat.

2