Chapter 167
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hm, we could use enchanted items, true.” Said chief Twinkie and Crassus got hopeful. “And we could trade those for what we need, but we can also trade the gold with the Hags of Hag’s end. They have put a powerful barrier around the island that protects us. They can give us more now that you told us the slightly less tasty gold on the beach is valuable.”

Well, the chief was a crafty one. Crassus gave him that. But he was not a merchant for nothing. He knew how to bargain.

“If it is protection you require, how about Ogre guards? There is a friendly tribe from No Man’s Land that has Ogres that come and do business with the apple grotto dungeon. Surely, some of them would agree to guard you for a cut of the gold.” Said Crassus.

Now, he had no idea if the Ogres were seeking employment. They seem to be well-off, if the constant streams of shopping requests were anything to go by. But they were not allowed in the Dawn Empire beyond the apple grotto.

But the Leprechaun island was outside the binderies of the empire, and it had a teleport that could be extended. That meant that the Ogres could get more goods, goods they couldn’t find in Mirstone, from the surrounding islands.

If Crassus’ knowledge of geography was as good as his teachers told him back when he was in school, then Leprechaun island had five islands near it.

Pixie Heaven island, where the Pixies were renowned for their glass work. Gnome Burrow island, where gnomes made wonders out of clay and wood. Bunny Warren, a heaven for a hunter, that overflowed with rabbits that bread so fast they could feed the Ogre tribe for quite some time.

There was a half-flooded island where mermaids liked to live, the Seashell island. No one could make things out of seashells quite like a mermaid or a merman could. And finally, there was the barren Banshee Hill island that was rumored to have a single Banshee inhabiting it. Once she was dealt with, that was practically free real estate.

“Ogres are strong.” Agreed chief Twinkie. “And we have what they eat in abundance. If you arrange for them to guard us, then we will give you the less tasty gold from the beach to distribute it between yourself and the Ogres.”

Crassus nodded, and then he began to write a letter to chief Norgog.

Chief Norgog,

I have a business preposition for you. There is a tribe of Leprechauns that need protection from pirates and the like. They have a lot of gold just laying on the beach, regular one, not fool’s gold.

Should you provide able warriors to protect the Leprechauns, I will pay you half of each delivery of gold the grotto receives, so you can pay both the Ogres that guard and make a profit.

The Leprechauns have a teleport that could be connected to the nearest five islands with ease. You can further trade the gold for things you require from there. One of the islands is Banshee Hill and once the Banshee is dealt with, I am sure you will be able to settle it. I am sure you can see the allure of settling outside No Man’s Land and spreading your and your tribe’s influence.

Best regards,

Crassus.

Then Crassus sent the letter and went back to the Ogres to take a nap.

Meanwhile, chief Norgog received Crassus’ letter, and he recalled his Ogres to hold a council. He read the letter out loud, and the Ogres began to smile at everything that was offered to them.

“The banshee will be a worthy opponent.” Said chief Norgog to the gathered Ogres. “But our shaman can take her. Right, shaman Argog?”

Shaman Argog was deaf with one ear and had quite the beard. He patted it and seemed to be dozing off. An Ogre woman laughed.

“Maybe we can have one of Afriga’s battle mages to deal with the banshee.” Said the woman loudly. “Argog won’t be able to take her.”

The aged shaman huffed and moved in his seat. He pulled out his cloak and showed the woman his well-muscled body.

“When I dealt with evil spirits, you weren’t even born yet! Show some respect. But, I think this will be a good opportunity for my apprentice, Hargog, to prove himself. Hargog, step forward.” Said Argog and a nervous youth of eighteen stepped forward.

Unlike his teacher, Hargog was skinny, and he only had one tusk while all Ogres had two. But, even so, he was gifted magically, and he had already done his first hunt successfully.

“Yes, master. Banshees required you to out screamed them and sunlight to be vanquished…” More asked than said Hargog.

“Hargog, I am old and your time to shine has come. You can’t second doubt yourself now. Go and conquer this island for the glory of the tribe. Or don’t come back at all!” Said Argog sternly. Hargog lowered his head and went to the teleport and then travelled to the apple grotto.

He looked around, a child was approaching him with a parchment and a smile on his face.

“I am not here on a shopping trip.” Said Hargog and the child’s smile fell. Then Hargog pulled out a silver coin and handed it to the boy. “Bring me to your nymph and tell her I need to travel to Leprechaun’s island.”

The boy looked at the coin in wonder and then ran to find Theanore. He came back with the little nymph, whose hands were dirty and so was her dress. She had been hoeing the strawberries she had planted and whose seedlings she had received as a gift from the florist of Mirstone.

“Hello, sir Ogre. Timmy, here told me you wanted to go to Leprechaun island, but there is no teleport leading there from here.” Said Theanore. Hargog pulled out a crystal. It was a connector.

For a teleport to be upgraded with a new location, one must place a connector in it and input the precise coordinates in the teleport. So, it was important for the person updating the teleport to have been in the new location.

“Send this to your father and tell him to get me the exact coordinates of the teleport in Leprechaun island. Here, have a gold coin for the service.” Said Hargog, and he handed Theanore the connector and a gold coin. Theanore gave him back the coin with a smile.

“This will help with the deliveries of gold and opals the Leprechauns will make in the future. I should be paying you for the connector. They are rare, after all.”

And Theanore send the connector with a small note telling her father to get the coordinates of the teleport in Leprechaun island.

1