Chapter 180
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crassus painstakingly crawled towards the spring. He could barely feel his bitten foot. There was no pain and, fortunately, the snake had slithered away after the bite.

He crawled, and he thought about all that he had to live for. Of Theanore and her ideas that led her to making profit out of mundane items. Truly, if he had ever had a doubt that she was his daughter, then her recent idea to make restaurants that served cacao milk and baked goods in the surrounding villages and Mirstone had cleared it away.

Then there was Esmer. Beautiful, headstrong, Esmer who had sunlight in her curls and gold in her eyes. Who always smiled with her right side more upturned than her left. Who could dance so enchantingly beautiful, he could watch her for days and not care about food and water.

About Marinus, who was shaping up to be a good young man. Even though Crassus had been sure the merman had not liked him in the beginning, they had warmed up to each other. Crassus couldn’t imagine a different husband for his Thea.

Of small Mary, with whom he had precious few memories. He had never expected to be a father, ever since the doctors had told him he would be incapable of getting a woman pregnant. Now, he was a grandfather. He couldn’t be happier.

He thought of small Archie who called him father and Theanore big sister, despite she was younger than he. The boy had sat by him and watched him do sums with the other students.

Never losing his concentration, never making trouble. Even though Crassus was fairly sure the boy couldn’t understand what was being talked about, exactly. He was too young, after all.

He struggled to crawl as he thought on the rest of the children of the grotto. Of Nick, for whom he was doing this. Nick, who had the chance to grow up with the occasional bout of luck on his side for a change.

Of Harry, who ran laps around the lake with the other children and did fencing practice with them, and laughed that he was healthy as a bull. Of the youngest who looked at everyone with wonder. Of the older children who visited, his lessons and trusted him to help them prepare for a life outside the grotto. A happy life. A good life.

These thoughts filled Crassus with hope, and he finally managed to roll inside the spring. He saw something black spreading into the water. He heard Clotilde’s nonsense shouting. Furthermore, he submerged himself and saw her in the water.

She was a skillet with black, tangled hair and red flames in her eyes. She didn’t have teeth, rather fangs, and she tried to break the surface of the water as her bones began to erode as if she was in acid and not in a hot spring.

Her gurgled screams as the water eroded her bones were a horrible thing to hear. As the spirit had warned, death was not a pretty thing to behold. Not even when the one dying deserved their fate.

Crassus stayed under the water until his lungs began to burn, and then with much pain he surfaced. He noticed that he could now feel his bitten foot, but there was pain around the bite.

A bone resurfaced next to Crassus and floated towards him. Crassus jumped out of the spring and crawled backwards. The bone sunk again, Clotilde’s final push with nothing to show for it, and the witch was no more.

Then, as if a spell has been lifted, birds began to sing. A slight warm breeze began to play with the surrounding weird apricots, their rose blossoms swaying in the wind. The water in the spring cleared again, and Crassus smiled.

He stood up with much effort and went to the calm river. He dunked his foot inside and began cleaning it. Furthermore, he saw that the poison was being drained out of his foot and going down the current.

Crassus squeezed the wound to make the process faster. Then, when he was sure that no more poison remained in his blood stream, he laid down with his feet in the river.

He heard footsteps and saw Ann carrying a large fish. She looked down at him, and then he realized how hungry he was. Ann smiled and placed the grilled fish in his hands.

“Eat up while it is warm, Crassus. Grandpa Thinker waits for you at the heart door.” Said Ann, and she made to leave, but before she could, Crassus spoke.

“Ann, your assistance is greatly appreciated earlier with the tunnel. And for the fish. If I can repay you with something, name it.” Said Crassus, as he half stood up, so he could sit at the banks of the river.

“You gave me fish and saved me from starvation. You helped me clean the tunnel enough to pass through it. There is nothing to repay, kind Crassus. Know you are always welcome here in mount Licht. Bring your family with you next time.”

With that, Ann began climbing down the stairs. Crassus looked after her for a time, and then he began to eat his fish. It was tasty and finished it quickly. Then he washed his hands and face in the river, put his boots on, and descended the stairs.

Grandpa Thinker was waiting for him next to a sled. Grandma Thinker was already inside. Crassus waved in greeting, and the two waved back. Grandpa Thinker clapped him on the shoulders and spoke.

“Well, that is one less evil witch on the bad list. It was kind of you, not to mention brave, to take this burden from little Nick. He couldn’t have made the trip, young as he is.” Said grandpa Thinker.

“For your deed, we have decided to add ten years to your name on the good list.” Said grandma Thinker, smiling kindly.

“I thank you both. I will do my best to add many more years.” Said Crassus, and he got into the sled. Grandpa Thinker got in the driver’s seat and got the deer moving, and they flew over Wille tunnel and towards Alerion’s teleport.

2