Chapter 182
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marinus watched as Mary glared at the wall. Hours already, he waited for her glare to lessen and for her to show a better expression. Regret, maybe. Embarrassment at her actions. But Mary just glared and kept quiet.

He barely remembered his mother. He didn’t remember her having to make him do more than stare at a rock when he misbehaved. What was he supposed to do now?

He hadn’t cared one whit about her mouthing off to Cassius. What she had said was the truth. No, her picking a fight with Archibald was the reason she was now grounded.

But it wasn’t working. He had only made her angry at him. Marinus needed to change tactics. Perhaps give her a good example of a well-behaved child? There certainly were many at the grotto.

“Mary, we are going off to a walk.” Said Marinus, and Mary turned to him but remained silent, her lips in a thin line and brows furrowed. She looked like an angry hedgehog baby and was just as dangerous, but Marinus still felt hurt in his chest that he was not his daughter’s favorite person anymore.

“We will visit Harry and Tod. Come on, give me your hand.” Said Marinus, and he extended his hand towards Mary. She brushed pass him, opened the door and walked out. Marinus sighed.

They walked in silence to the lake, where Harry Karheim and Tod the Tedsby were writing something in a notebook. They were quiet and didn’t bother anyone. Marinus stopped just out of sight of the two, behind a big fir tree, and pointed at them.

“See how good they get along, Mary? And Tod is a wild animal. You have to get along with the surrounding children. Especially Archie, he is your uncle.” Said Marinus and Mary finally broke her silence.

“No, he is not. Mother doesn’t have a brother. None of the other trees grandfather Crassus planted birthed a nymph. And you are not my father to try to teach me how to behave. I only have a mother.” Said Mary coldly.

It was almost as if a dagger had pierced Marinus in the heart. Mary looked like him, like a mix of him and Theanore, actually. How could she say such a thing?

“Mary, what is your hair color?” Asked Marinus slowly.

“Red, like yours. But that is because my tree is a peach one, not an apple one like mommy’s.” Said Mary, nose raised high.

“And do you have freckles?” Asked Marinus, trying to walk the girl to the conclusion he wanted to hear.

“Many redheads have freckles. That proves nothing. If I was your daughter, I would have been born with a mermaid’s tail.” Said Mary, and she turned her back to him.

“Well, I see you as my daughter.” Said Marinus, a tear falling down his cheek. This girl was the product of his love for Theanore. What the God of Creation acknowledged as the result of their deep understanding and friendship for one another.

“And you know what?” Asked Marinus, trying to ignore Mary’s snort. “I will always see you as my firstborn. If you get sick, I will be by your bedside with a bowl of freshly made chicken soup and a spoon, no matter if you want me there or not. When you grow up and find a nice boy or girl to get married, I will walk you down the aisle. And when I grow old and lay on my deathbed, I would be happy if you are there, so we can hold each other’s hands for one last time.”

Mary turned to him angrily and hit him on the chest. She showed him a dried-up patch of skin on her arm, and Marinus realized she was not angry because she was spiteful, she was angry because she was afraid.

“I am going to die long before you do! I went to mommy and showed her my arm, but she just put an angel’s tear water on it and kissed it and send me on my way! You two are the worst parents ever!” Mary turned back around and Marinus chuckled. Then, when Mary huffed, he chuckled again.

“Mary, your skin is dry because you have been sitting near the fireplace more lately. And it is red because you scratch it since it itches. You are not going to die. You have a life-extending ring. Nothing can permanently kill the wearer of a life-extending ring.” Said Marinus, and he patted the girl on her shoulder.

“Who told you that you are going to die?” Asked Marinus, and Mary turned around slowly. She no longer looked angry, rather, hopeful.

“Roddy. He is five and wants to become a doctor one day.” Said Mary and Marinus broke off laughing.

Roddy Mathews was notorious for reading articles in the medical journal Heart and Lung and then diagnosing his fellow children with the sicknesses described in the articles.

His fellow orphans didn’t pay him any attention, and it was a game for them to fake fear and ask him what the cure was. Mostly it was to eat grass, as Roddy was sure that if even dogs and cats ate grass, then it must be healthy.

After his “patients” ate a blade of grass they were proclaimed cured and Roddy would leaf through the pages of the journal for the disease of his next victim. It was all a game, but Mary was too young to understand that.

“And what did doctor Roddy prescribed to you?” Asked Marinus, humoring his daughter.

Mary made a face and answered.

“To eat grass. But grass is gross. And animals walk over it and go to the restroom over it. I don’t want to eat grass!” Said Mary.

Marinus placed a finger below his chin and pretended to think.

“Well, now that I think about it, salad is a type of grass. Tell you what, I will make you a bowl of your favorite greens, with fresh cucumbers added to the mix. With olive oil and lemon juice and a special ingredient. Just for you. Then, you will be cured. But it will take more than one bowl, I imagine. And less time near the fireplace.” Said Marinus, and he offered his hand to Mary.

“Daddy, what is the special ingredient?” Asked Mary as she gripped two of his fingers, her hand too small to hold his own fully.

“A father’s love, what else?” Asked Marinus, and they both went to greet Crassus.

2