Chapter 186
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theanore looked at the complete first vegetable house. It was made of solid cypress wood with glass panels. But, in Memories of another world, grandpa Thinker called such houses greenhouses and gave some tips about their maintenance. In the book it was written.

Greenhouses are very useful. They turned deserts to bread baskets on Earth. Mostly made of metal with glass panels and plastic bedding for the plants. But metal greenhouses are susceptible to rust.

There are also green wooden houses, for those who want something easier to maintain. My own grandmother, Sally, had one such greenhouse. They are made of different tree types, but hers was made of cypress.

The oils preserved in the wood kept mold and insects at bay. She also had plastic air insolations. Now, there is no plastic in this world, but I suppose some fabric could so the same. Place it along the edges of the wooden frames and the glass panels.

Vapor is the enemy number one to a wooden greenhouse; grandma Sally would always say. It brings with it mold that can make what you are growing sick. For that, the greenhouse must be cleaned regularly.

A wooden greenhouse is cleaned with warm water and rags and vinegar. On Earth, there were special chemicals for that, but here chemistry is just not as advanced.

After it dries, it should be sanded carefully. All rotten wood replaced with new one. Then a nice coat of paint will keep everything fresh and clean. On a side note, plants like music, so sing them a song from time to time to help them grow.

Theanore took a wet rag and began to clean the lower wooden frames as the pixies cleaned the upper ones. Then she began to sing the song of the Frog who caught a thousand flies, and the pixies began to sing with her.

Once she was done, she wrinkled her nose and dipped a clean rag in the vinegar. She didn’t like the smell, but if this would keep mold out of her greenhouse, then she had to do this.

By the time she was done, she reeked of vinegar and there were even stain on her dress. She sighed and then stood up and took her bucket with vinegar with her.

The leftover vinegar was going to be used to clean the pens of the animals that lived in the grotto. Theanore didn’t want to waste any materials, not even badly smelling vinegar.

She placed the bucked where the worker elves could collect them and looked back towards the greenhouse. She was going to put strawberries and quick shot raspberries inside. Not only that, but she even had a bag of seeds for each of the plants.

But she wanted to have an easier time watering the plants. So, she went back inside and washed her hands before opening Memories of another world to find a solution.

She went to the agriculture section and began leafing through it. There were so many wonderful things inside. A giant machine that collected hay and made it in neat bundles. A machine that could groom sheep faster than a pair of scissors could. A machine that distributed food for animals without the help of humans apart from loading the storage section of the device with feed.

Then she found it, but there was a problem. The device was made of rubber, and there were no rubber trees in Eomis or anywhere else. It was something like a hollow stick with holes in it that dispensed dripping water.

But Theanore was not going to give up! She took a parchment and began writing to grandpa Thinker.

Dear grandpa Thinker,

I have been reading your Memories of another world, and I made a greenhouse! But I want to be able to water it faster. Your drip system sounds like what I need, but I don’t know where I can find rubber hoses. Is there rubber somewhere? Can I buy them ready-made from someone?

Please answer as soon as you are able,

Theanore the nymph.

Then, remembering Luca’s wonderful crystal, Theanore decided to write him too.

Dear Luca,

I require rubber hoses for my greenhouse. But I don’t know if rubber is something exclusive to grandpa Thinker’s home world. Can your crystal produce such things that are not found in our world? I will put in a big commission for rubber hoses, since they sound like something that can be placed in a field as well.

I hope you are doing well,

Theanore the nymph.

Theanore sent the letters and went to wash the vinegar stench from herself and to put on a clean dress. Hours later, she got two letters. She first opened the one from grandpa Thinker.

Dear Theanore,

Rubber is found only in the Badlands. I suggest you don’t seek it there, as it is very dangerous there for such a little girl as yourself. I have rubber hoses myself, but they costed me an arm and a leg. Furthermore, I am sorry that I can’t be more helpful. If you find someone who can supply you with rubber on the cheap and in bulk, do let me know.

Stay on the good list,

Grandpa Thinker.

Discouraged, Theanore opened Luca’s letter and her eyes immediately lit up.

Dear Theanore,

I can supply you, it is no problem. My new assistant, Aleria Gloe, told me where to find rubber and my dungeon core crystal does the collecting. I also have something else that might interest you. A seed drill that will improve your yields eight times. It will be done in three months, and after another three my personal inventor will reinvent a hoe machine that will use mana to hoe the soil. Once they are done, you will be the first with whom I will make a deal for them. Just tell me how many hoses you need and any specifications, and I will send them once Aleria begins to make them.

Regards,

Luca,

Dungeon core of the Canyon Rush dungeon.

“I will plant things with eight times better yields!” Yelled Theanore, little fist raised high in the air with a bright smile on her face. Then, she began to copy the description of the dripping system for her next letter to Luca.

2