Chapter 203
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theanore jumped up and down. There was going to be a fair. The last fair she had been to be the one for the funding of her book. She hoped there were ponies in the fair. She was going to bring them apples and feed them and hug them. Furthermore, she squealed and Marinus sighed.

“We don’t have to compete, Thea. We can just enjoy the sights.” Said Marinus. He was sure that many traders would jump at the chance for the normally illegal action of trading with mermaids to be made possible.

“Not compete? Why? We have numerous things.” Said Theanore. Marinus knew that it was ingrained in all dungeon cores to compete and conquer, but he had thought that Theanore had a slightly milder type of this sickness.

“Thea, the other merchants have to eat too. We have been taking a big share of the markets across the empire for ourselves. And normal crafters can’t keep up with the ones from No Man’s Land.” Said Marinus, braking up the problem in smaller terms so Theanore could understand.

“We are making them poor?” Asked Theanore. She stopped jumping and placed a hand over her mouth. “But they need money to eat.”

Realization dawned on her, and she looked back at every deal she had made. The goods from No Man’s Land, while not superior in quality, were cheaper. And they had plenty stockpiled. So much, they were practically giving them to her as a gift.

“We will compete.” Said Theanore, expression serious. “As a team. We will gather all the traders and crafters together under one banner, and we will take the trade fair by storm.”

“Thea, you are not listening to me. There is only one prize. No one will follow you.” Said Marinus. Trading with mermaids was illegal, and there was an entire shady business of smuggling goods between the people of the land and the mermaids of the sea.

“New markets will open.” Said Theanore, nodding to herself. “Once the Badlands have been conquered, people can settle there. They will need numerous things. Wood and stone for houses. Clothes. Food and livestock. I can offer good deals and good land for every trader that wants to join in on my union.”

“The Badlands are surrounded by volcanoes, Thea. No one will want to settle there.” Said Marinus. Even mermaids wanted to avoid swimming too close to the place.

“But the land is fertile.” Protested Theanore. “I read that lands with volcanic activities have a lot of greenery. And the Badlands are a nice Valley. With the occasional hill here and there, but mostly flat. Settlements can easily be built there.”

“People will fight over whom to rule the new land.” Said Marinus. What Theanore spoke of sounded good, but he knew war would break in the Badlands as soon as they were pacified. “And the natives will not just give up their land.”

“They will live with the settlers in peace and harmony.” Said Theanore, certain of her plan. “We will preserve their culture and have the people who come to them adopt it. And everyone will be happy.”

This was going to be a bitter lesson for Theanore, but Marinus found that he couldn’t spare her it. She needed to learn that just because she was accepting of others, it didn’t mean that others were just as accepting.

“Do as you please.” Said Marinus, and he turned his back on Theanore and went searching for Mary and Archibald. The two were inseparable and liked to play by the lake. He was sure that he could find them there.

Theanore clapped her hands and began writing letters to all the traders she knew of. She promised them land, treasure and new markets. She said she would trade the mermaid goods with them with reasonable prices. Not only that, but she promised to take her goods off certain towns and villages if they decided to enter her Forest of fireflies’ trade union. Then, she waited.

When the first letter came to her, she was overjoyed. Then her smile fell as she read.

Dungeon core Theanore,

I will not be extorted into an unfair deal, young lady. If you want to do some good, you will give these things without a hook! After you started trading, I lost half of my profits. I needed to let go almost three fourths of my staff. They live in the slums now, begging anyone for work. Do you see what your greed has done?

Alaric von Rein.

Then the next letter had come with black, bold, letters and a single line.

Do not dare make fun of us!

But then the third letter had arrived, and Theanore became hopeful.

Dear Theanore,

It is the nature of all competition to push the ones who can’t reach your level to the bottom. Your offer is generous, but I doubt that you can back it up. You are too young and not the first person who tried to conquer the Badlands.

If the mobs of the Bone crusher dungeon don’t kill off your mobs, then the smoke from the volcanoes will. You have never been there, but I have. It is a disaster; this whole campaign you have going is.

But if you do conquer the Badlands, I am open to negotiate. Of course, with better terms for you, as I have spurned your generous offer now. I do extend my hand in friendship and wish you good luck in all your endeavors.

Elia Rills.

Silk trader.

Theanore wrote down Elia’s name in the potential members of the Forest of firefly’s trade union list and waited for the next letter. When it came, she wasn’t holding her breath, but soon her smile returned to her face.

Dear Theanore,

I am a baker by trade. Can’t win on my own, but if we join up, I am sure we have a good chance to win. What you sell and what I sell don’t overlap. I have a word of advice for you.

Don’t retreat and don’t pull back your market shares, girl. You worked hard for them. Many could have begun to trade with No Man’s Land. Why didn’t they? Because they didn’t care about its denizens. Do you want to do some good? Hire more people. You have the money to pay them.

Jake Griffith.

And so Theanore had her first name for the trade union. As she finished writing the name, another letter appeared. This time from a person who sold fruits and vegetables. He, too, wanted to enter the trade union. And little by little, Theanore’s hope returned.

2