Chapter 3: The Vanguard Task Force
172 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week had passed since then and each crash sites were bustling with activity. Making use of the game system that came over, each No-Pats took out tools to refurbish and convert air craft parts to set up a make shift outpost. 

As for the outpost, perimeter fence were set up along with four tents; armory, motor pool, tank depo and a command tent. Inside the command tent, Tama is shuffling through a few reports with a frown on his face.

“No-Pats Personnel: 600

No-Pats KIA: 5

No-Pats: MIA: 10 

No-Pats out of commission: 5

No-Pats fit for duty: 580

Report notes: Medics were unable to revive those with headshot injuries. We are still investigating if this means permadeath.”

Tama sighed as he put the report down and looked at a No-Pats member standing in front of him.

Hendrickson. This is not the good news I was looking for…”

Hendrickson coughed once before speaking. He knew that when Tama asked him to compile a status report, he wanted to see some good news.

“The 5 out of commissions were the underage kids you took in a month ago.”

Hendrickson placed hind index finger on No-Pats MIA.

“Tucker, Troy, Jess, Jacob, Shane, George, Douglas, Bob, Sam, and Angelos are missing. Including one Condor.”

Tama let out a heavy sigh and stood up before Hendrickson. He took out a cigar from his inventory and smoked.

“I know. I already dispatched a few teams looking for them. They are my friends too.”

Tama walked past Hendrickson and looked out the window behind him. He puffed out a couple of smoke from the cig before continuing.

“It took us seven days to get accustomed to this new world and an hour to get most of our game systems back online.”

Tama turned away from the window to face Hendrickson. He dropped the cig he was smoking and stepped on it with his shoe. 

“We are still operating at 50%. This is not enough. We need that Construction Dozer to build most of the core infrastructures.”

Tama then placed his right hand on Hendrickson left shoulder. In response, Hendrickson looked at Tama, confused.

“I’m leaving you in charge. I’ll be taking a small team to locate the Dozer and the missing Condor aircraft, hopefully the missing people as well.”

Hendrickson gave Tama a surprised look and asked.

“M-me? But what about you?”

Tama gave Hendrickson a grin and locked his right arm behind Hendrickson’s neck. 

“I’ll be taking Vanguard Task Force. Dolls asset only. I’m not taking chances by bringing No-Pats  members along.”

As Tama left his command tent, he stopped and gave Hendrickson what will be the his final words of farewell.

“Do keep them in line while I’m gone. Kay?”

Tama gave Hendrickson a good by wave without looking back as he left the tent. He made his way over to the Motor Pool where a detachment of Dolls from Vanguard Task Force were already waiting for him. 

Dolls were the original backbone of No-Pats. They may be Non Playable Characters however they have free will and were excellent at both combat operations and field support. 

There are two types of Dolls, a gacha that contains exclusive specialists that far-exceeds standard Dolls in every way. Gacha Dolls are specially named to stand out more compared to the standard Dolls. Standard Dolls are cheap to manufacture from cybernetic facilities. They are low grade, cheap and had to manually upgraded to be on par with a Gacha Doll.

Tama was intercepted by a mischievous Doll as she jumped on his back from behind him. She giggled nonchalantly as Tama was struggling to get his balance.

“Well you sure took your sweet time.”

The Doll chirped as she is still piggy back riding on Tama’s back.

“I brought all the Dolls and they are asking what’s the mission?”

Tama looked at the group behind the girl and  let out a small chuckle.

“Isn’t 50 Dolls too much? Even for you Evie?”

The Doll, Evie scoffed at Tama’s humor and retorted.

“Now look here. You said gather everyone together for a big operation.”

Evie pouted as she grabbed on of  Tama’s arm and dragged him over to the Motor Pool. 

“Ladies! It’s time for the awesome mission briefing hosted by the one and only TAMA!”

Evie chirped enthusiastically as all eyes drew on Tama.

“Uh right. This operation is off the books. We have a missing Condor, a missing Dozer and 10 missing No-Pats.”

Tama quickly observed the Dolls gears and saw that they were lightly geared and then directed his gaze at Evie.

“What? This time it wasn’t me.”

Evie replied and gave Tama a shrug.

“Alright. Get to your Buggies. We are departing immediately. Except Evie.”

Tama stopped Evie as she was about to hop onto a buggy.

“What? Why?

She wined in protest against Tama’s decision.

“I want you behind to overwatch Hendrickson and the others. I’ll be taking your sister, Evelyn instead.”

On cue Evelyn gave Evie a hard smack on her back which almost sent her face first into the soil.

“Haha. You got babysitting duty this time while I get to go on a adventure with the other sisters!”

Evelyn chirped happily as she got into the lead buggy. 

“Haaaaa….. I am now having second thoughts.”

Tama muttered silently to himself as he got into the driver seat of the buggy. Before they depart, Tama pulled up the Dolls roster list through the assets menu to see their name, weapons and class  type. The Dolls that was shown were the ones Tama had won through  past  gacha pulls. He was unable to view the other 45 Dolls as the utility building is offline.

[Evelyn: XM8 Glory, Demolitionist.

Alice: M4A1 Mod III, Infiltration Specialist

Serena: AA-12 Dragon Fire? Crowd Control Specialist

Elesis: P90 WildCat, Recon Specialist

Vivy: NTW 50 Ramjet, Sniper Specialist]

Those dolls costed Tama an arm and leg. By some stroke of luck he was able to get all 5 limited edition Dolls which he put into his headquarter to flex on others.

Tama took one last look at his outpost and everyone in it. He knew it will be years before he’ll come back to familiar faces. Looking straight ahead he gave the “move out” gesture command, thus the Buggy column left the outpost in a single line fashion.

Chapter 4 should be up later tonight and the first action that Vanguard will see is a dungeon and lots of corruption transformations

3