59. The Well of Wishes – Part 3
54 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 3 –

 

The city of Palvel was engulfed in a thick cloud of smoke. It released noxious amounts of fumes like the crater of a volcano as whisps of flames shot into the air. The tall walls concealed the carnage within, but anyone could tell the degree of devastation just by a single glance at its skies.

Terror and awe were equally expressed across each scouting party that surrounded the outskirts of Palvel. Their attention was swallowed by the devastation, the sight of the rising smoke imprinting into their minds as they collectively stared in disbelief… and relief.

From the bottom of their hearts – they were glad that they were not part of the main battle force. Their roles as scouts were to keep watch and alert the main forces with coloured smoke.

So far there had not been any signs of enemy activity across the Great Plains. The unknown Undead they were on the lookout for was likely to be gigantic in size at the very least. But so far nothing appeared of such nature along the vast expanse.

It was a simple job, although none could commit themselves to the task. And how could they? This was the first time many of these adventurers and normal knights had seen such a display of destruction. It numbed their minds and injected boundless dread into their hearts.

To combat the Undead, they needed the brightest of flames… and the consequent destruction of a city once home to a hundred thousand. How could it be all lost in a single night?

None wished to entertain the thought, or to turn and stare deeply into the green horizon. They prayed that their enemies were only the lesser Undead. But with the confirmed existence of a highly intelligent Undead – they feared for what else was to come.

The heroes shared similar sentiments. Five of some of the most esteemed members of Truebirth stood dignified at the top of a small hill. They were armed with glamorous armour fitting of a holy war. Tinctures of black, gold, and white formed the very basis of their armour patterns.

Between every worn fabric was layers of leather and chainmail to ensure survivability. Amy’s robes were a good example of this. They were weighted to near light-armour status, and the hems drooped and tumbled at her metal-plated knees.

Very little skin was shown aside from their heads. Against enemies such as the Undead, even the smallest chink in one’s armour was enough to spell their end. Khalis and Calin were no different, save that Khalis wore Greater White Knight armour, and Calin was suited into a stylish set of plated cobalt armour.

It was a metal that easily prevailed over iron, steel, and platinum. Cobalt neared the tensile strength of limeite, but that was only if it were unenchanted or uninfused with protective magic. Interestingly, all Greater Knight armours were created with cobalt and were then finished with a protective coating, used to differentiate their sides.

They were undisputedly the heroes of Truebirth. A single glance was all one needed to believe this. But the irony of this was cruel. The great heroes – who possessed powers that were unmatched by any human of this Region – were utilised as scouts rather than to be swung as the great bulwark of Truebirth.

It gnawed at Lizen more than anything else. Her pride rattled at both her inability to find the courage to fight, and the overwhelming nightmare that unfolded before her very eyes. Her blue irises were consumed by chaotic blacks and reds as she steeled herself with all her strength.

Her brave façade faintly creaked.

“I can smell it from all the way here.” Amy quietly exhaled. “A hundred thousand, right? Are there… really no survivors?”

“It’d be a miracle if there were.” Calin answered coldly. “None of the settlements across the Great Plains were spared even a single person. We have no reason to believe this to be an exception.”

“I carried doubts too young Amy. But the scouting reports don’t lie. The city bared no life. It’s impossible for anyone to hide their scent from so many Undead.” Khalis affirmed. “Keep on the lookout. Our battle is with our eyes. Please have faith in them.”

“That’s all we can do.” Calin jabbed. “But I respect her majesty’s orders. The lives of countless thousands do no outweigh… theses. Ahem. Heroes. What is it like seeing a city being razed for the first time?”

No one answered. Or rather – they didn’t seem to realise that they were being spoken to. The spectacle left them hideously bewildered. Amy and Haiyoto were visibly shocked beyond words, unable to truly grasp the scale of destruction that unfolded.

Lizen on the other hand appeared surprisingly unaffected. But beneath her cold façade of bravery was a spirt made of sand and brittle stone. She deeply feared death more than anything else. But this was natural. After all, who wasn’t afraid of death?

However – she was a Hero; anointed by the Children of Balance. How could she possibly call herself a Hero if her heart could barely beat consistently at the notion of death?

She shivered, but before the despair could settle in, Calin nudged her shoulder with her own. The force nearly caused her to topple over the hill and was only saved by raw, near inhuman levels of reaction.

The weight of her armour was only second to Khalis at around 60 kilograms, with his being 100 kilograms of chiselled cobalt. To be able to move her body as if she were naked was a feat unmatched by even the greatest of Greater White Knights, like Khalis himself.

The armour weight of the regular Greater Knights ranged between 40 to 50 kilograms. Anymore and their armour would virtually function as mobile coffins. And no matter how evenly the weight was distributed – there were not many who could swing more than 15 kilograms worth of metal for minutes on end before dying of exhaustion.

Lizen’s strength was a gift unlike any other. A blessed power from their Gods. She did not require any [Body Enhancing] or [Body Strengthening]-based magic. Even someone of Khalis’ adonis-like stature required buffing magic to stand and fight for up to hours without rest.

In the end – humans were fragile by nature. Without such compromises they’d be nothing more than fodder for the other races and monsters of Six Point.

That aside –

“Calin? Did I do something wrong?” Lizen blurted out, rolling her shoulder as the other two seemingly snapped out of their dazed trance.

“Open your ears, Airu. You too. I can understand the feeling of… no, the ecstasy of witnessing such beautiful flames, but now isn’t the time to be dozing off into a daydream.” Calin spoke as if she understood them to a spiritual level, nodding as the heroes stared at her with blank faces.

Khalis quietly sighed and crouched down between the Heroes with a tired look.

“She’s spent half her life in the Katho Region. Please don’t mind my sister’s… outlook? Tinted eyes? Bless her heart.” He whispered.

“What are you whispering?” She asked.

“Just telling them to keep watch, as always.” Khalin sighed. “It’s been ninety minutes since the walls were first breached. We have another few before they start to fortify garrisons. Or an hour if the Undead are as numerous as we thought.”

“An hour doesn’t sound likely. We can’t exactly see over the walls to judge. But I believe in her majesty. We just have to stand watch. Ah… Oh how I wish I could join and fight in the embrace of destruction, right by her side.” Calin proudly announced, garnering mixed responses from the Heroes.

They couldn’t sympathise to say the very least.

“By the way – what do you three think?” She asked from seemingly out of the blue.

“Uh… about what, ma’am?” Haiyoto answered.

“The sight of a city falling to flames. What comes to your mind?”

No one answered immediately. The question took them aback and they wondered if Calin was being serious or not. But as the seconds went by and the silence thickened – they realised that this was not a joke.

“It’s hard to say. It feels kind of… sad. Like I’m watching the efforts of so many people disappear in real time.” Haiyoto uttered with a saddened expression. “It doesn’t feel real.”

“Yeah. I still can’t believe a hundred thousand just… disappeared one night, and now their homes are being burnt away.” Amy whispered. “We… we had similar wars in our world. I won’t say worse, because I still don’t understand the scale of this yet but… seeing this now only puts everything into perspective.”

“Palvel is considered a small city outside of Colight. Believe it or not, but Truebirth is also within the same category. Tragedies of this scale are a rare sight to behold. You don’t normally see sieges against entire cities too often, let alone the destruction of one.” Calin slowly spoke. “Perspective will always be anecdotal. It can feel like the whole world is coming to an end just by watching something burn. To the ones in Enthile for example, they would see this as nothing more than a village being razed.”

“Is it even possible to even think like that?” Lizen asked, her voice nearly revealing her shock.

“I’m afraid so. I’m willing to admit even my views are slightly skewed. I do adore a great show, no matter its source. Hah… When your empire stands as one of the greatest in all Eastern Six Point then everything else must look so small. Now if Enthile were to burn – then that’d be a sight to mark the end of the world. The death of a few hundred million will surely resonate with the billions that reside within the Human Empire of the Skathow Region, let alone the rest of the Enthoric Region.”

Amy suddenly cleared her throat. She tried to utter something – anything in response to Calin’s shocking words but her voice betrayed her. Tears slowly began to trickle down her cheeks the longer she stared into the burning city.

Lizen managed to embrace her right before she could cry and began comforting her precious friend.

“Amy...”

“I’m… sorry. I’m just afraid. So very… afraid.” Amy whimpered.

“We all are.” Lizen hummed. “Believe me, we all are.”

Khalis motioned towards them. He was their fatherly figure in a way. Especially for Amy who arrived into this world completely alone, unlike Haiyoto who was lucky enough to have the warmth of a mother and a sibling.

A cold, metal hand fell onto the shoulder of the silently crying girl. Yet to her it felt more warmer than any flame.

“There is no such warrior that doesn’t fear death to some capacity. Even we hold fears. But I believe the fear of losing something else more important than your own life is when that fear turns to courage. You must find it.”

“If the lives of countless isn’t more terrifying to lose than your own then what can I say? Because you wouldn’t be wrong. The Gods chose you three. Not us.” Calin sighed. “But to put that aside and still care for the lesser is a quality of a hero. But feeling isn’t enough. Actions will always resonate better. C’mon. Wipe those tears away. It’ll be hard to see.”

“O-of course…” Amy sniffed, wiping her tears away with her armoured sleeves. “I’m sorry.”

“At least you can show some emotion, unlike this one here.” Calin scrubbed the hair of Lizen with her gauntlets, causing the girl to groan in annoyance. “It shows that you have a heart somewhere underneath. If you can cry for them, then one day you’ll be able to stand up for them as well. That’s what I believe.”

“… I hope so. Thank you, miss.” Amy softly smiled.

“I give you girls – and guy – about a year.” Calin stated, finally letting go of Lizen’s head. “For now – Let’s focus on the job at hand.”

“Right!” They all cried aloud.

* * *

“Any signs yet?” Khalis inquired.

“Nothing yet.” Haiyoto answered almost immediately. “It’s still silent.”

“Tch… is there really an enemy out there?” Calin revealed some annoyance as she folded the metal spyglass in half. “At this rate Palvel will be won over in no time. Khalis, you can look after our precious heroes, right?”

“I’d prefer it if you remained with us for the time being.”

“As you say.” She sighed.

Her heart belonged in battle. To be standing idly while a grand battle unfolded before her grated at her hardened spirit. The reason was of course the Heroes, whose reluctance prevented them from fighting for their future.

A strange look formed on her face when she glanced down at them. Amy still trembled as she handled the spyglass, and Haiyoto looked as if a single nudge would shock his heart. Lizen on the other hand appeared composed and simply stared out into the great green with narrowed eyes as she sat, patiently waiting for something to happen.

Out of all three of them Lizen was the most ‘mature’ and carried the resounding image of a Hero. In her mind if there was a person who’d carve through the Undead without faltering, it would be her.

Calin was not the only one with such high hopes on Lizen. Most of the nobles also saw her as the strongest Hero with every potential to become as legendary as her own mother – Mildly Taniawort. The praises that sung around her were befitting in Calin’s eyes. Much more than the Otherworlders who still had much to grow.

However – Lizen did not feel this way. She didn’t observe like everyone else, but rather fell into an odd trance of self-worth again. It gnawed at her like a parasitic plague, eagerly burying into her heart as she tried to fend it off. Her pride was like steel – but the sheer pressure of the expectations of countless thousands were enough to make her buckle.

But she refused to show this. Amy was already terrified beyond belief. She didn’t need her to worry any more than she did. As these thoughts clouded her mind, she felt a slight rumble somewhere beneath her.

“There was a theory that the lesser undead were responsible for the disappearances.” Khalis brought up.

“But that wouldn’t make sense. The cities and towns were left in impeccable condition.” Calin refuted.

“So they just spirited away?” Haiyoto asked.

“Could be. Anything can happen these days now that we’ve seen the Spirit of Balance. The Children of Balance have really blessed us. We’ve just lost the Exrenity to their duties, so all we can rely on is the Spirit.” Calin stated.

Lizen felt the rumbling again as the others conversed, unaware of its presence. It grew stronger with every passing moment, and it travelled deeper and deeper along her arms. Before long, she quickly removed her gauntlets and laid her bare palms against the grass.

“Lizen?” Haiyoto finally noticed her bizarre behaviour, and before he could further question her – Lizen quickly spoke.

“There’s something moving… beneath us!?” She answered with uncertainty, still trying to figure out what this rumbling was. If it were a giant beast, they would have already seen it. The only logical conclusion was that something moved underground.

She was right. But what moved wasn’t a beast. It was the land itself. By the time the others took notice of it, the ground suddenly shook with unmatched violence. They braced themselves for a quake that shook the world to the point where it appeared like it revolved all around them. The grass fused with the skies for a split second, causing their minds to nearly split.

“An earthquake!?” Haiyoto exclaimed.

“Quakes are uncommon here! Get low or you’ll lose your footing!” Khalis commanded but was unfortunately late in his call. Amy lost her balance as her brain rattled inside of her skull, leaving her in a state of near unconsciousness.

Lizen managed to catch her thankfully, right as the world suddenly fell back into silence as if nothing had occurred. But that was far from the truth. What little wildlife that existed across the Great Plains immediately began to vacate the land. Hordes of birds fled in thick clouds – the usual first warnings of imminent danger.

Without another word shared – Calin lit a bundle of coloured sticks and tossed them afar. A golden smoke arose for all to see, and in mere moments, dozens of smokestacks emerged across Palvel’s perimeter. This was the emergency signal, and Calin held every right to believe that something of unholy danger was present.

But never in her wildest dreams would she imagine the sight that followed soon after. A flat span of land kilometres afar suddenly shattered like the surface of glass, right before it collapsed into itself. The hole that formed was estimated to be nearly a kilometre wide – a gaping maw that spewed dust like a monumental geyser.

“What… is going on?” Khalis could only utter in disbelief. His mind was tempered beyond that of most humans. He had conquered terror beyond that of nightmares where even the Undead appeared tame in comparison.

But he had never witnessed something of such a scale. Not even magic of the [Eighth Tier] could tear the land apart at the seams. What they witnessed was undoubtably the doing of a power beyond their comprehension.

And that hunch from the deepest pits of his soul was soon confirmed.

A black beam half the size of the hole fired straight into the sky. No matter how far one looked above they could not even begin to see the top. The sun seemingly dimmed under the shadow of the dark pillar, as if dusk had begun to befall them.

The event lasted for only a minute. If their smoke signals did not alert them, then this most certainly did. However – the was no return signal; nether from any of the division, the airships or from Anoma herself. Despite having clear line sights with the airships; they did not seem to notice the malevolent pillar of darkness.

Something was awfully awry, and the situation did not allow them to speculate the reason. Moments after the beam disappeared something emerged.

Something… massive.

“Is that… the Undead?” Lizen uttered in terror.

“A giant sphere… hey – hey! W-what should we do!?” Haiyoto was the first to surprisingly snap out of the trance of despair, immediately awakening the others to the nightmarish reality that unfolded.

“We… we need to report this. On foot.” Khalis stated, his voice filled with disbelief for the first time in his life.

A black sphere nearly as large as the hole itself appeared. To call it massive was a severe understatement. The construct nearly glistened as golden particles swarmed across its surface, presenting the image of something equally as holy as it was blasphemous. The object seemingly possessed a gravitational presence, drawing up dust and blades of grass like a sweeping black hole.

It hovered a few hundred meters off the ground… and beneath it were beings that forever scarred the minds of the three heroes. Lizen could barely look, whilst Amy was forced to shut her eyes. Haiyoto on the other hand stared in utter horror at the Undead beings that crawled with the orb with traumatic contortions.

But their faces were what struck them the most with terror. On those hideous creatures were faces of beautiful women. A parody of beauty was displayed as they marched onwards to Palvel in the far distance, disregarding their presence entirely…

No. It was not that they were ignored. They were simply not in their path. The Undead monstrosities appeared from the north-eastern part of Palvel and marched towards the northern walls. Pestilence followed their every move. The grass withered in their diabolical presence, turning to a black soot-like substance before they were swallowed by the sphere.

Thankfully, and perhaps by the work of fate, the Heroes, Khalis and Calin were located closer to the southeast. The souls that were unfortunate enough to take positions closer to their path were slaughtered like cattle. Though they were kilometres apart they could somehow hear their screams.

Whether dictated by fate, luck or by everything that was holy – they did not tread farther than the gravitational influence of the sphere. Those scouts had chosen the worse possible spot and it was ironically the furthest place away from the battlefield.

Khalis peered through the spyglass and watched a group of eight attempt futile resistance. In the second that he blinked they had all become bisected by what he believed was an invisible force. The legs and disembowelled torsos collapsed and convulsed before they sprouted with new life. Where 8 soldiers fell another 16 Undead had risen.

The arms walked them like legs, and the legs functioned as arms, carried by the organs which disgustingly slopped and slathered as they hurriedly dragged themselves towards Palvel. They were slow. Painfully slow. He could almost feel the agony of how they functioned.

“… I beg you, please do not peer into the spyglass.” Khalis uttered, causing the three Heroes to blankly stare, no longer able to think.

“And here we blamed a single powerful Undead for the downfall of countless settlements… when in reality it was the work of many. How many can you count?”

“Eight. Eight of those… Undead.”

“Hey. You’ve been to the Boric Region with her majesty. Aren’t those a normal sight?”

“No. I’ve never seen anything like them before. They are… nothing like regular Undead.”

“Well – what the fuck are they then!? Spit it out!” Calin roared in desperation as the Heroes tried their best to swallow their fears.

But reality swashed on their palates. They were forced to savour the disgruntled sounds, the ominous hum from the sphere and the image that no nightmare could possibly begin to replicate.

“I don’t know. I don’t know! Argh! Haiyoto! Amy! Airu! And you too, Calin! We need to move! We have to warn them all!” Khalis steeled himself, his resolve returning all at once.

But it seemed like it was only him and Calin that managed to weather through. The Heroes could barely respond to their names being shouted out at the top of his lungs.

“Haiyoto!” He roared, taking the young man by the shoulders. Deep within his moist eyes resided a cloud of despair, spiralling as it gnawed at his very spirit. “We must go. All of us must go. It’s not safe here anymore! We need to go!”

Haiyoto could only nod with widened eyes.

“And is it any safer there!?” Lizen answered for him as she comforted a trembling Amy, brushing through her long hair with shaky hands. “Those things are headed into Palvel, aren’t they!?”

“They emerged from outside! There could be a hundred more for all we know beneath our feet! I am afraid I cannot leave you here alone with just Calin! And she will not stand by idly either! We will lose everyone! It is our role to relay this information! Do not forget that!” Khalis scolded, his words carrying power as Haiyoto bit down on his fear and reluctantly agreed.

In his mind there was no other way. Khalis was correct. If they stayed here then the chances of death were significantly higher, especially with the prospect of both Calin and Khalis abandoning them here alone. While he knew they would not dare to given their importance as Heroes; they themselves would be beyond monstrous; even more than the Undead if they were to leverage that in their favour.

How could one possibly look at themselves again if they willingly abandoned the lives of countless thousands for their own selfishness? Because of fear? As the Heroes? He gagged at the thought… and no matter how his instincts screamed and begged at him to run, hide, burry himself or to take his own life before the Undead did – he vowed to stomach this until at least the main forces were aware of the impending threat.

He couldn’t bear to betray the people who had given him and his family so much in an unfamiliar world.

“… Lizen. Khalis is right. We cannot stay here.” Haiyoto reluctantly groaned, his voice riled with mental anguish. “We… we need to go.”

Lizen nearly retorted on instinct, the fear almost causing her to lose her mind. But she felt the small hands of Amy grasp onto what little cloth there was on her armour. She bit down on her tongue when she realised that these small hands that clutched onto her still wished to succeed with their mission. The barely conscious Amy desperately fought to remain awake against the judgement of her entire being.

“Please Lizen. If we stay here, we’re bound to be found by more of those things.” Amy muttered. “Look at me Lizen… I can’t even move anymore. But I don’t want to give up. I also don’t know what difference it’s going to make if we tell them now – but I at least don’t want to let them down. I’m afraid. So… very afraid. But what else can we do now? If we stay, we’ll die… if we run, we’ll also die. At least there we’ll have a chance.” She spoke weakly at the verge of tears.

Her trembling hands resonated through Lizen’s thick-plated armour. Her heart mellowed to those words, though she didn’t properly understand them. And how could she? Hope was the last thing on their mind. Only the despair of reality surrounded them, and the only way to persevere was to brave through the deep until it was all over.

Or to give up and die.

They all knew deep down that the Undead – and whatever that sphere was – was not something humans were ever meant to fight. Khalis truly did believe in his brothers and sisters to persevere in glorious battle, as did Calin. But the Heroes were not so hopeful.

Fanaticism of fate and their trust of the Gods were lacklustre compared to most.

It was as if their eyes had been opened for the first time…

No. This was the second time they’ve felt like this. The first was during the ambush on the hidden trail between Truebirth and Farshard. The reality of death was ever prevalent. They had fought powerful Ents and giant man-eating insects within the woodlands that connected Colight to the Shallows.

But they still did not truly realise the meaning of fear until they met with the flagbearers of death itself. A threat that literally poisoned the very air with its noxious presence. An enemy that was only seconded by the Demons and cared not for values, thought, beliefs or for themselves.

If it were not for their rivalry with the Vevillen High Council of Gods – then they’d easily rank as mankind’s greatest threat.

The Undead solely existed to deprive the world of mana until it was nothing but a baren wasteland; a paradise in the eyes of the Uboros.

If they could not kill a man, would they even be able to conceive of the idea of killing a deranged puppet that was a parody of man? Or would they freeze at again?

They all knew that once they set foot into Palvel they’d be thrown straight into the lion’s den. Hesitation and fear were certain to kill them rightfully before the Undead could…

But even so – they had no other choice.

Lizen took Amy’s hand and brought it to her cheek.

“If you don’t go, then I won’t go.” Amy tried to joke, but all it did was release a flood of tears down her cheeks.

“… Ah Amy. Hah… That sounds just like you. Don’t worry. That won’t be happening. Here, I’ll carry you.”

The warmth of her closest friend restored confidence in her quivering heart. And even though she was afraid – Amy’s terror was beyond hers. Her heart pounded as if it were attempting to break through her chest cavity and flee, yet in her eyes remained a spirit that wished to persevere.

Lizen envied her demeanour. Unlike hers – Amy’s was true. There was no façade of bravery or pride. Amy was like a cracked wall; brittle and prone to crumble at the blow of the wind. But she was still a wall nevertheless…

Whereas Lizen was like plywood with a bricked-painted coat, pretending to be something it was not.

“… where are you getting this courage from?” Lizen asked as she wrapped her arms around Amy, pulling her up into a princess carry.

“I don’t know. I guess I just don’t want you to stay out here all alone. I don’t want you to… to die. Not alone.”

“No one’s going to die.” Haiyoto affirmed. “So don’t talk like it’s… like it’s the end of the world. Khalis. Calin. I have something I want to ask.”

Khalis was taken aback by surprise by the sudden change of tone that all three had adopted. Fear still spiralled on their faces, but their eyes told him they were ready to move now.

“Talk away. But let’s move as we do. The Undead will reach Palvel soon enough. I’m thankful your hearts are in the right place.” He spoke with a hearty voice. “Haiyoto, just to remind you that we’ve depleted through the smoke sticks.”

He and Calin already knew what Haiyoto wished to ask.

They strode with haste through the forbidden grasslands, onwards towards Palvel. But at the speed they moved the Undead were certain to reach the city before they did.

Khalis showed them an empty bag bundle. There were enough for at least 5 separate smokestacks, but Calin had unfortunately used them all the heat of the moment. She was a woman of extreme mental fortitude, experience and possessed battle prowess unlike many of the Greater Knights.

Such an irrational act was completely unlike her, but not surprising given the situation.

“Fuck… FUCK. Shit! I’m sorry. Dammit! Haiyoto –!” She suddenly grasped onto his shoulders and drilled her eyes into his. “Hero Haiyoto – Please find Anoma! Head through the main gates! Her division is the safest by far and I can assure you you’ll survive if you stick by her side!”

“I will. I absolutely will.” He nodded, somewhat amused that they already knew of his intentions.

His raw speed was unmatched by any human in Colight, and his skill with a sword was near on par with Anoma’s. Dare one imagined him under the effects of magic. If it was him – then they were certain he’d be able to relay this critical information to her, hopefully in time for Anoma to finalise a plan against the new threat.

A garrison was likely. But so was a retreat. Or rather – they needed to retreat. Khalis’ judgement was far inferior to Anoma’s. He believed in indomitable spirit of man to preserve through any threat, whereas Anoma viewed all in a realistic and bleaker light. The Children of Balance had willed for their victory. This was for certain… but their survival was not.

Aside from the Undead that approached – what were they supposed to do against a sphere the size of a mountain?

Their hopes all resided within Haiyoto’s mission.

“Hang in there Haiyoto! We’ll be with you shortly!” Calin released him with a small shove, right before she gave his shoulder a small chop. “We’re counting on you. Failure is never an option of the Greater Knights. I’m putting the same expectation on you too.”

“Yeah. I’ll see you all there then.” He nodded again. “Amy, Lizen – What are you looking at me like that for? I’m not going to die or anything.”

“At least promise us you’ll stay safe.” Lizen demanded.

“Can’t you? Or do you think you’ll raise a death flag?” Amy sheepishly joked. “… I’m sorry. I know now isn’t the time but… Haiyoto – Wait for us, ok? You’ve got other people waiting for you back in the Capital so don’t die on us.”

“And you don’t?” He moved to tap on Amy’s forehead.

“… no. I only have you guys.” She cupped his hand momentarily before she placed it onto his chest. “Fight Haiyoto! Fight!”

“Hah… Then I’ll make sure to survive. For your sake. You too Lizen.”

“I’d hate it if I woke up the next morning and you weren’t by our side.”

“Huh? Wording?” Calin raised a brow.

“I mean… oh you know what I mean.” Lizen sighed. “Go. And make sure you don’t get yourself killed.”

“On it –!”

“Wait. Haiyoto – I want you to remember something.” Khalis spoke as the young man began to bestow various buffs to his body.

[Lightless Body], [Feeble Feet], [Dash – Marathon], [Feathered Steps], and [Resistance – Ironclad]. These were all magic tailored to reduce his overall weight, increase his speed and finally, increase his physical fortitude.

His strongest of these was [Dash – Marathon]; a [Sixth Tiered] magic of his own. It was a variation of [Dash], which allowed him to propel himself in a direction far faster than the human eye could perceive. The [Marathon] variation allowed him to sustain it for longer distances at the cost of reduced speed.

“Listen to me and listen to me close. I want you to be prepared to kill. Not just the Undead, but your fellow brothers and sisters in arms. Please spare them the fate of becoming an Undead… Do not let them suffer.”

“… I’ll do what I can.” Haiyoto affirmed. “Goodbye, Khalis. I don’t know if I’ll get another chance to say this but… thank you. You were like the father I never had.”

Khalis lowered his head and smiled.

“Is that how you saw this old man? I’m proud to hear that… beyond words. Please – Go forth and don’t look back, Haiyoto! We’ll be following you!”

He nodded, and once his back had turned – Haiyoto propelled himself towards Palvel with inhuman speed. A column of shredded grass left in his wake as the others watched him disappear into the distance.

“Now then – start applying your magic. We may not have the luxury later.” Calin reminded, and at once, a series of buffing magic was casted on one another.

The one year of growth that Calin had estimated for the Heroes to finally grow was reduced to only a few hours now. Uncertainty surrounded them like a thick veil, enshrouding all hopes of a brighter future.

The future was bleak to say the least.

Whatever happened in Palvel would forever change the Heroes, Truebirth, and the entirety of Colight –

– For better or worse.

0