The Center and the people.
199 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now, I'd describe the trip as two words (or three for you smartasses), painful and tedious. The walk was nothing but a half day's walk across the town with nothing of notice other than the rain slowly getting heavier and heavier. Right now, we're in a local restaurant down the road from the community center to take a break.

Because my family couldn't hold it in. So, we took a break and went to the toilet. It's a miracle how those aren't flooding ya know, same with the sinks and all that kind of stuff.

Once everyone was done, we prepared once more and set off.

I squinted as the glass door opened, allowing the torrent to enter alongside the heavy gales. We began pushing ourselves and I swiftly found the wind was going in the direction of the center, my dad had also noticed, as he shouted loud enough for us to hear.

"RUN! The wind is on our side but we don't know how long for! Make the most of it!"

We sprinted, feeling light on our feet despite the constant aching and newfound pain in the form of rain hitting us. I almost tripped more than a few times as the wind was like that. Eventually, the wind changed direction and we slowed, pushing forward as calmly as we could while fighting it.

It seemed like it was out to get us most of the time, twisting, turning and changing direction faster than I can say 'I'. There were rare moments in the pain that we'd have the wind on our side. We ran like our life depended on it at those times. It was still a hell of a long walk, but it certainly sped the trip up with the occasional tailwinds.

It took what felt like three or so hours, I'd somehow gotten an internal clock along the way, to get close to the center.

Dad was the first to see it and speed up, hurrying everyone else along as well. Then the rest of us saw it. The community center was about half the size of a football stadium length and width wise, but height? Around 19-20 meters. Maybe a bit more. There were people stationed behind the doors with guns, not that that surprised me. It's a huge storm, who knows what's out there.

We got closer and closer until the people noticed us. Their first reaction was holding their guns up, then one of them raised a hand and waved over other people. No doubt to keep their people safe.

When we got in, my parents and my dad's cousin and his wife were the go to for talking.

I simply sat down cross-legged with my hiking pack on the floor. I yawned even while short on breath and stared back out the glass.

It was grey enough that the glass was practically a damn mirror. I saw my sloppy and wet green hair stick to the sides of my face and my ponytail was stuck together.

I took a closer look at my eyes, wondering if my birth parents had the same amber-like color. It was something I wondered all the time. That and how the hell did someone have natural green hair? It seems strange to me but, at the same time, it feels unique.

It makes me feel out of place and, despite all my friends' presumptions, it feels nice.

"Alright you'll have to go through screening while we wait for our boss to come, don't complain about it, it's how we got rid of four murderers already."

'Well, if you just tossed them into the storm, I highly doubt you'll actually have gotten rid of them.'

I decided against voicing my thoughts, mainly because of the massive problem that should they be alive, we will have murderers out for the people here.

'Well, 'outcast' seems like a nice title right about now.'

If we were outcasts, their would be the slightest chance we wouldn't be targeted. I could almost see the gears that had turned in my eldest sister's head as we thought of roughly the same thing. The chances we both had the same idea increased when we met gazes, a silent conversation took place, the usual, 'you thinking what I'm thinking?' kind of silent speech.

A slight nod from me and we went back to waiting for our turn to be 'screened'.

People were starting to gather, all of them not looking like they're starving but, they looked dissatisfied. The guards seemed to notice our hiking bags as well.

I also noticed. The fact that some of them were slowly, snail pace-like, scooting over towards mine and the twins' packs. I motioned at the twins, beckoning them and the packs. When they got over to me, I whispered about the fact they should guard their hiking bag. Both nodded, an affirmation that calmed me down, even if it wasn't by much.

Then, I saw a person going over towards one of the guards and they started shouting when the guard said something.

"THE HELL DO YOU MEAN IT'S THEIRS!? THEY ARE TAKING SHELTER HERE, THE FOOD SHOULD BE SPLIT EQUALLY!!"

I didn't want to have to deal with a person like that so I simply said one thing, loud enough for them all to hear.

"Ya know, I think this would actually be good weather for hiking to the forest, wasn't there a cabin we could stay in there?"

The person shut up, their face turned extremely ugly. I scoffed as they walked back, turning their head towards me once as they seemingly heard the scoff. I smirked at them, reveling in their expression turning even worse.

'Mission Outcast part 1, accomplished. 'We can leave and survive,' as long as they know that, we'll be fine. Because I sure as hell ain't sharing my food or drink with these grubby people.'

The strategy also had the part of making the gathering group of people leave.

I was thankful for that.

7