Changes.
191 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes started fluttering as I felt comfy. I felt a mattress under me and a head on my left and right arm. When I opened my eyes, I saw Cedric and Leotri on my left and right arm respectively and smiled. Then I was confused.

'Where am I? There wasn't an infirmary before, just a makeshift office...' 

I was in an infirmary, with more than one person in the beds around me, most of them awake while a few were still asleep. When my movement woke up Cedric, he stared at me wide-eyed and I just smiled. When I was about to ask how long I slept for, he hugged me and cried, waking Leotri who did the same. I just sat there awkwardly as they did so, when a man to my right spoke.

The man had gruff features, dark brown - near black - hair and a glorious beard. I'd always liked beards, never wanted one though, too much effort.

"So, Kid, how did you sleep?"

"Fine, why?"

"I figured if you had a bad dream it'd kinda suck having it for two and a half weeks."

My heart dropped as I paused, my siblings looking up at my extremely baffled expression.

"I-I'm sorry, two and a half what?"

"Weeks. It's been two weeks and 4 days since we found you asleep. You gave your fam a fright, having glass shards stuck way in yer back. I'd have thought ya would be screaming in pain rather than asleep with shards in yer back to be frank."

I blanked as I thought while I waited. Eventually, my parents came in and they filled me in on most things. One week after I slept, pets started becoming angry at people for small things like petting them, plants grew faster at the second week and as of late, the nights have been longer. Which is weird because we'd apparently gotten a way to tell time and the difference between night and day in this storm. Barricades and more have been set up, our food was shared with the others since some of the food was destroyed or contaminated; the people have somewhat accepted us because we recognized the threat and contributed rather than being overly greedy and keeping our food and drink.

Some idiots still dislike us but the bullying eased when I was in the library for the next two days. On the third day in the library, my parents brought me to get a check up with the doctor, Mr Crill. Weird name but I can't judge a book by its cover. 

When I got the check up, something was brought to my attention by the doctor.

"You have no scars at all... how fascinating, how peculiar, do you know any reason you'd not have scarring?"

"No?"

I was weirded out as well, finding myself wondering why I had no scars and coming to a question.

"Do I have a scar on the back of my neck?"

"No, nothing. Not on your back, neck, sides, nothing."

"I see..."

I had gotten into an accident when I was little, a cut along the back of my neck from a sharp tree branch that hit me on a windy day. If that wasn't there anymore...

'What else happened...'

I was about to ask the doctor about something when I turned around and saw him silent and his eyes distant. I waved my hand in front of him and he came back to his senses, confused.

I asked, "What's wrong?"

He told me, "Did your parents tell you about our sense of time that we'd developed over the two weeks you were asleep for?" I nodded, "Well, I... I don't think the sun is up. But, I think it's day?"

I now understood the confusion. If I woke up at midday only to see the moon, not the sun, I'd be weirded out too. I was getting ready to go to the library when something else happened. Someone was shouting so loudly in the lounge I could hear it from the infirmary which was three corridors away from it.

"THE WATER IS GONE!!! THE WATER IS GONE!!!"

I soon got to the lounge and realized it was a member of the expedition team who was speaking. Another thing my parents had filled me in about was that most of the lower areas were drowned in a flood that happened. Seeing people so excited I asked what he meant and got an answer.

The person looked equally excited, "The flooded areas drained! There's no area we have to dive in now and we can get to anything left over easier now!"

Hearing that, the excitement was mirrored in my eyes, I knew we could get some stuff I've been waiting for now. Like more books, some more paper and other things as well. I want to be able to draw and write after all. 

Eventually, the expedition team set out with their entire group and went to gather stuff. They were all soaking wet and their hair was sloppy but their eyes were all shining. They all saw hope that stuff was getting better and they were happy. They were going to bring more things back and that feeling would spread.

It was certainly contagious as even I had caught it and my bullies didn't bully me for the two whole days that the team went back and forth, bringing more and more stuff for us to survive with. People were on a high and it lasted for three whole days. I was able to write and work on the book I was writing for much longer than before as well as read in peace and quiet in the library for a much, much longer time than anytime I had the chance.

My beanbag corner had a new addition, a girl named Curi who loved the beanbags and the books. She apparently took up residence there while I was asleep and I just left her to her own devices, loving the quiet and peaceful company I had gained.

I had relaxed for the first time in a while.

Time began to pass as I simply went through a routine of eat, read, write, eat, go to the toilet, read, eat, check on my memories, sleep, repeat.

Slowly, but surely, three weeks had passed.

7