Chapter 38 “Accursed Land”
520 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
First and foremost, apologies for the long wait! After Volume 1 had finished, and college wrapping up. I didn't realize just how burnt out I was, and getting back into writing was a struggle; not to mention that Volume 1 is... a damn mess to be blunt. So for the health of the story, going forward I am going to be retconning information to keep the story interesting and consistent. Expect a 0.5 info chapter in the near future, containing everything that is changing. If you want more consistent updates, or wish to become more apart of this community, be sure to check out the discord!

Discord - https://discord.gg/gx3AnKbczK
Ko-Fi - https://ko-fi.com/drassdeer

 

CHAPTER 38

“Accursed Land”

     

September 15th, 2040: High Above The Mesophytic Forest, Former Washington D.C Area

 

Holding on for dear life as the Mil Mi-26 rocked and vibrated heavily. Tanner’s rocky vision glanced at the other scientist--a Russian, who was smirking from the opposite side of the helicopter.

“What is the matter, Tanner? Never flown before?” Through broken English, the Russian laughed.

“You may have led on this, Kirilka. But couldn't you have picked a more stable helicopter and one from this damn century!”  At the same time, the helicopter was rocked by turbulence yet again. With Tanner grabbing some cargo netting around come crates as support. 

“Well, you were the one who wanted to bring everything Jessica requested in one go. We were the only ones capable of doing so. If it were not for the generator, you could have taken one of your own.” Waving his left hand in the general direction of the massive yellow generator they were transporting, Kirilka’s eyes were more interested in the clipboard on his lap that was stacked with documents. “You know anything about these radiological locations? Point New York and Point Washington?”

“Only the basics right now. The radiation in these locations is the highest we’ve seen so far. Where The White House once stood having the Geiger counters becoming saturated.” Immediately, Kirilka's head snapped up from the clipboard. His eyes wide open like he had just seen a ghost. 

“Are you sure? Those were rated to go up very high.”

“Well, given the fact that they returned a flat zero. We’re fairly positive that there is far more localized radiation than we can calculate at this time.”

 

With Tanner and Kirilka going over reports to pass the time. In the cockpit, Petrov, Yeltsin, Talanov, and a spectating Moskvin were watching the forest beneath them pass by. 

“Radiation detection showing only background levels.” Fiddling around with the hastily installed geiger counters to their helicopter, Talanov glanced back at the map he had taped to a free section on his panel. “We should be getting close to the main research camp.”

“Too bad we’re here on business. Canada has been on my ‘must visit’ list for a while.” Peering outside his side of the cockpit, Petrov examined the untouched nature below them.

“Well you certainly are visiting it now, just not how anyone expected you to.” With a smirk on his face, Yeltsin looked over at Petrov who only returned a low chuckle. Unfortunately for them, the mood was shattered by Yeltsin noticing something strange.

“What the? Moskvin, you seeing this? 2 o’clock.” Yeltsin motioned his head in the direction he announced. Walking over in the cramped cockpit, Moskvin’s eyes widened in bewilderment.

“I see it… still trying to believe it though.” Standing next to Yeltsin, Moskvin simply continued to stare in front of them. For just below them by a couple hundred feet among the trees, a fractal pattern of dancing light performed for an invisible audience; and around the light, it appeared that reality itself was cracking around it akin to marked ice from skating. As they flew closer, a slow then erratic ticking filled the cockpit. Looking behind himself, Moskvin watched as Talanov played around with a side panel.

“Radiation levels spiking!”  Talanov exclaimed, his voice tinged with a growing panic caused by the new development. 

“Get us some altitude!” Dishing out commands, Moskov placed his left hand on a console, and his right on the roof; bracing himself as Yeltsin pulled up on the coil lever. Immediately, they all felt compressed as the helicopter did its best to gain altitude, but with the weight of the cargo. Yeltsin scowled as the altimeter slowly increased.

“Radiation levels are still rapidly climbing! Seven-hundred millisieverts!” Talanov announced, and just as quickly, reached underneath the seat in front of him for the medic case.

“What? Already?” Leaning back to see the installed geiger counter, it was indeed at seven-hundred and still continuing to rise. “Shit. Yeltsin, Petrov! Swing wide! 

 

Not wasting a moment, both pilots wrestled with the joystick to force the helicopter into a left-bank turn. 

“Open the governor!” Yeltsin ordered, with his left hand still on the coil lever.

“Opening throttle!” Petrov repeated, flicking a switch above him and an immediate response from the engines was heard as they went from a soft purr to a loud roar of sheer power; and with Yeltsin now pulling the coil lever all the way. The helicopter responded in kind, and pulled away from the anomaly below. As for Talanov, he had already cracked open the medic case, grabbing iodine tablets and four orange medicine bottles. Popping the cap off one of the bottles, Talanov downed the assorted pills, then the iodine tablet. Glancing back over to the geiger counter, the needle had stabilized at nine-hundred millisieverts.

“Radiation levels holding, take your damn pills before your skin boils over.” Passing the medication to Moskvin, he took his dose before holding out his right hand.

“I’ll make sure our passengers are still alive, pass me two bottles.” Responding silently by passing two extra medicine bottles, Moskvin moved to the cockpit door. 

 

Opening the cockpit door, Moskvin's eyes fixated themselves onto Tanner, who had done everything to fasten himself into the cargo netting. Short of becoming cargo. While Kirilka had managed with just holding onto his seat handles. 

“You both know that these seats do have seatbelts, right?” At a loss on what to do outside of just standing at the door in bewilderment at what was unfolding in front of him. Moskvin simply watched as Tanner attempted to free his left foot from the netting, while Kirilka hunted around on the seat for this lucrative seatbelt.

“Goddamn Russian equipment. What the hell happened anyway?” Finally freeing his foot, Tanner noticed the bottle of pills Moskvin was holding. 

“We ran into an anomaly. Take these before you turn into a pile of paperwork.” Throwing him one of the bottles, Tanner glanced at the label before opening it. Throwing the other bottle to Kirilka, Moskvin shut the door behind him and slid to the metal floor. “These anomalies are getting more sporadic.”

“Not sporadic. Rather, they are getting more substantial.” Downing his pills, Tanner then reached into his pants pocket to pull out his phone. Opening it to retrieve some photos, he threw it to Moskiv. “That’s the OH-A02 Singularity. First image was taken over a month ago, and if you swipe left, that one was taken just five days ago.” 

 

Looking at the first image taken from a low-flying drone above a forest, it looked to be nothing more than a floating, blue-ish glowing orb floating a few meters above the ground. The next image though, the orb had grown more irregular in size, with it no longer being a perfect sphere, but now an oblong shape. It had also created a large zone of dead nature around itself. Throwing the phone back to Tanner, the Canadian scientist shook his head. “Whatever these things are, there isn’t anything natural about them.” 

 

With the conversation dying off, the trio waited in silence for them to finally reach the main research camp; and with the sound of the engines lowering in power, a shallow right bank turn, and a slight g-force change. Moskvin stood up to look out the door’s window, and sure enough, a sea of tents were below them, situated in a natural forest glade. 

 

It was only with the soft bounce of the helicopter touching the ground, that Moskvin didn’t waste a moment and opened the door. Immediately being hit with the violent air from the rotor blades, he only had to take a few steps before a young man in a white coat stepped out from a nearby tent. They welcomed them with a friendly wave, Moskvin returned it by walking over and returning a simple head-nod; and once within arms reach he extended a hand.  

“You must be Moskvin! Jessicas’ been expecting you for some time!” Shouting over the winding helicopter motors. The man accepted his handshake “I’m Anthony! I’ll take you to where you’ll be spending most of your time!” Motioning with his head to one of the larger tents to Moskvin’s left. The duo walked, Moskiv glanced through the gaps between tents to his right, spotting columns of quad bikes, Canadian Coyote APCs, and even Russian Ivecos parked and waiting to be used on reconnaissance missions. With the near-deafening noise from the helicopter dying down, Moskiv turned to Anthony with a flat expression.

“I was under the impression that Colonel Fedorov was going to be present?”. Anthony contorted his face.

“He was supposed to, but after going out with a recon group six days ago. That entire team hasn’t been heard from since; and while brief communication cutouts are expected, this is far too long for anything ‘normal’.”

 

Replying with a simple grunt of agreement, Moskvin and Anthony stopped in front of a large tent.

“Fair warning. Things are quite hectic and unorderly around here. Though, I think you’re used to that, right?” Returning only a glare of dissatisfaction at Anthony’s poor joke. Moskvin pushed away the tent flag. Standing around a plastic folding table, half a dozen scientists and military personnel all seemed to be focused on stacks of satellite images and transcripts of Chinese stations and actions.

“So it is true, China is genuinely pulling out.” Two scientists within the tent, sifted through some of the photos. “Though, going by these. This seems more like an evacuation than an orderly pullout”. Stepping forward, Moskiv made his presence known by picking up an image of a hastily abandoned forward operating base; a base with nearly all vehicles having been left behind. “You must be Jessica.” Sizing up the female scientist, she returned a nod of affirmance.

“And you must be Moskvin. Does any of this make any sense to you?” Looking back at the image, Moskvin scoffed.

“Hmm, I don’t see anything unusual here. This is how the Chinese treat their expendable equipment.” Though, just as he said his piece, a Russian military personnel to his right handed over another image.

“While that is true, sir. These are Type 103s and even 110 tanks, not Type 99s and 96s.” Quickly snatching the image from their hands, Moskvin studied the few tanks that were left behind at a smaller outpost; and while every tank past the Type 96 looked practically identical, the drone launcher and 30mm autocannon on the side of the turret was a dead giveaway for a Type 110.

“I think this transcript from their command center in Post-California says it all.” A Canadian scientist from across the table stated, while showing it to Jessica. “Lieutenant General Meng just ordered a complete withdrawal of forces from the North American continent. They’ve apparently ‘lost’  a division's worth of troops from the anomalies--somewhere in the ballpark of 20,000 troops.” Hearing that, a Russian scientist chimed in.

“They haven't even been here for a month, that is bad. Even for them.”

“Says you. You lot have been constantly going on suicide missions against these anomalies!” A Canadian retorted.

“Ah yes, because your drones have been so helpful.” Before a full-blown argument had the chance to break out, Jessica slammed both her hands on the table.

“I swear, if you two start again I will beat both of you with this very table.” Shutting down both scientists. Moskvin couldn’t help but be impressed at the sole female scientist.

“Oh, this is gonna be more fun than I thought.”    

 

As the conversations about China’s actions continued, Moskvin’s eyes caught a map hanging on a billboard near the back of the tent. Walking over and examining it, the map showed the general area around them and forged trails to anomaly sites. Moskvin found his eyes particularly drawn to the red X’s marking various scattered anomalies.

“The ‘X’s mark point of lost contact with a team.” Standing just behind Moskvin, Jessica hovered around him and placed her left index finger on one of the markers not far from the main camp. “This is where we last had contact with Colonel Fedorov and his team. His last transmission saying something about a bright light.”

“Did you ever bother to send out search and rescue?” Turning to Jessica, Moskvin internally questioned how just this many teams could have gone missing.

“We did… until some of those teams went missing as well. The volunteer pool quickly dried up after that; Colonel Clifton halted anymore.” Taking a moment to process her words, he turned around and pointed at the two other Russians in the tent.

“You, go grab three other soldiers, and get me some firepower. Meet us at the vehicle storage zone.” Without even a nod of acknowledgment, the two Russians dropped their current task and swiftly exited the tent, leaving a stammering Jessica.

“Wh-Wait a damn moment here Moskvin! Unless your brain is dysfunctional and your hearing damaged, you heard me say that every team we’ve sent out went missing! Not to mention that any activity outside the camp needs to be cleared by Colonel Clifton?” Stopping just behind the tent flap, Moskvin rotated his head just enough to get Jessica in his left eye’s vision.

“Colonel Fedorov saved my life in Cairo, and has done a lot for the betterment of Russia. The least I can do is bring his body back home to the Motherland.” Not wanting to argue further, nor waste time. Moskvin exited the tent before Jessica could counter his actions. Moving through the tents to where all the vehicles were being held, he made an immediate rush for an Iveco-Tactical-Vehicle.

 

Waiting around the vehicle, it didn’t take long for 4 Russian soldiers--Vadium, Karol, Matvei, and Kolzak to meet up with Moskvin. The one Russian he had met in the tent, Vadium, reached into a pocket on his tactical vest and offered a map to Moskvin. 

“Commander, you should be made aware that we have a case of A-264 located under a false floor in these vehicles.” Hearing that, Moskvin's eyes shifted with a mix of concern and slight panic. 

“The nerve agent? Why the hell do we have that here, and why wasn’t I informed before I got here?” Trying to keep his voice to a whisper, Moskvin could feel his left, burnt eye, twitch at the thought of using chemical agents. 

“Because even though President Isimov did not sign off on this. Army General Rolan Dmitriev had it brought over as he believes that it may be useful if… sudden chance encounters with extraterrestrial forces come to fruition.” With that explanation, Moskvin scoffed before leaning against the hood of the Iveco. 

“So he’s also a part of that conspiracy? And here I thought he was rational.” Looking past Vadium, he noticed a group of Russian soldiers carrying a multitude of old equipment with them. One of which being an ancient RPG-7. “What’s the atmosphere like with our brothers?”

“Truthfully? They’re terrified, sir. None of the scientists still can’t explain what’s going on, and the disappearances are not helping. Though, with a decorated war hero here now. I’d like to believe that morale will be boosted.”      

 

Returning a simple grunt of acknowledgment, Moskvin then realized that his Russian comrades were being followed by a squad of Canadian soldiers as well. With the one leading them seeming none too pleased at what was going on.   

“Not even been here an hour and you’re already being a pain in my ass!” The soldier shouted. “Just what do you think you're doing, Captain?”

“Colonel Clifton I assume? As per our joint efforts and conditions. We are allowed to use our vehicles and weapons wherever appropriate.” Stepping forward, Moskvin gave a cold, emotionless stare at the colonel, who in turn took a few steps forward, unwilling to yield as well. 

“And you should have read the fine print, buddy. Any and all plans--including rescue and reconnaissance missions, must be approved by me. Seems like you forgot that one.”

“As I’ve stated to Jessica, I owe Colonel Fedorov my life, so I will risk it even if it means I do not come back.”

 

With neither Moskvin nor Clifton looking to back down--be it for national pride or personal stubbornness. Another Canadian soldier came forward.

“If I may, with respect to both sides. The area that Colonel Fedorov disappeared at, isn’t too far from the camp. Even if you don’t give Moskvin the vehicles I’m fairly certain he’s just going to walk there, sir.” Replying with only a sigh of frustration, a few seconds of silence went by before Clifton pointed at Moskvin.

“You get two vehicles and two squads, that’s it; and if you even get a single tick of radiation spiking, you turn back. Understood?”

“Absolutely.”

“Sergeant Keen, get your squad ready to roll out with them.” Slapping the sergeant on the shoulder, Clifton turned around and left. Leaving Keen with an open mouth but no chance to argue. 

“...well alright then, I guess we’re the ones going with you. If you’re taking this piece, then we’ll get a Coyote in order.” Not wanting to waste time, Keen and his squad went off to do just that.

After a couple of hours had passed and near the edge of the camp with a vehicle bush trail. Moskvin’s squad was chatting away as the Canadian squad finally showed up with their Coyote APC. Once it came to a stop, Sergeant Keen stepped out the back, followed by a familiar female scientist.

“This is a fucking joke. Why is she here?” Raising a confused eyebrow at the sight of Jessica with him, he motioned with his right hand at her.

“Because none of you know how to properly read these new radiation detection equipment, and none of the other scientists wanted to be part of this suicide mission. So, I volunteered.” Jessica answered, though with Moskvin returning a glare of disapproval towards Keen. The sergeant just answered with a shrug of defeat. 

“Alright, I guess. We will first go to where you lost contact with Colonel Fedorov.” With that, all three went back to their respective vehicles, and the rescue mission began. 

  

As the small convoy drove down the narrow dirt trail, following other tire and tread marks. The atmosphere inside the vehicle was rapidly tensing up. Glancing at the rearview mirror, Moskvin could see Karol’s and Matvei’s eyes were darting all over the place, looking for any threats outside inside the surrounding forest. As they drove, the convoy came upon a small glade, with a set of tire marks veering off, and in the middle of the glade. A lone Russian Livco was parked with every door open. Grabbing the radio, Moskvin started to turn his vehicle into the glade.

“Stop here, we might have something.” Parking his own Livco a good few feet away. The Russian squad cautiously stepped out with each of their rifles drawn towards the abandoned vehicle. As for the Coyote, the gunner moved the autocannon onto the vehicle as well. 

 

Being the first to inch towards the vehicle, Moskvin peered through the open doors, and as expected. It was completely empty of any occupancy. Rotating to the trunk, he opened the door, and as he did, his stomach twisted in knots. 

“Vehicle’s empty. No sign of them being here for a while.” Moving closer to the trunk and what haphazardly stored weaponry was there. His eyes had locked onto an old, but well-maintained KS-23 shotgun. Taking the shotgun, he then went scrounging around for any ammo.

“That shotgun mean anything to you, commander?” Vadium questioned.

 

“This is Colonel Fedorov’s, and he never goes anywhere without it.” Finding a single box of ‘Barrikada’ shells. He Walked back to his vehicle, he then noticed that the engine on both the Iveco and the Coyote had stopped, with a commotion around the Coyote having started. 

“What’s going on back there?” Placing the KS-23 into their trunk, Moskvin then turned around again to see that Jessica had pushed through Sergeant Keen.

“We need to leave now! I’m not getting anything on the testing equipment!” In a panic-filled, whitewashed face. Jessica could only watch as the Russians simply stood their ground and looked at each other in a confusing manner.

“What do you mean ‘not getting anything’? That is good, yes?” Through a thick Russian accent, Karol was at a loss, though he too grew worried as the Canadians seemed to perfectly understand it, and started climbing back into the Coyote.

“No! This equipment is sensitive enough to pick up background radiation from the sun, I should be seeing something but I am getting a flat zero; meaning that the equipment is saturated with radiation! We are in the anomaly!” Practically screaming that last sentence. Her words had gotten through and now everyone was scrabbling to get their vehicles started. All the while the area around them seemed to get brighter with each passing second.

“Start the damn engine!” Karol shouted from the backseat, panic now in his voice too.

“I’m trying!” Frantically turning the key, Moskvin immediately noticed that the engine wasn’t even attempting to turn over, just silence from a dead engine. Trying again and again, he could feel his heart in his throat. 

“When the hell did it get so damn bright?” With Vadium pointing out the ever-brightening environment around them. However, before anyone could have a chance to respond. A white flash engulfed their vision, blinding everyone inside the vehicle. As the light subsided, and the natural environment returned. Both the Iveco and Coyote--along with their occupancy, were nowhere to be seen. Leaving the same abandoned Iveco in that accursed glade…

10