002 – A mysterious wife who I never married…
212 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I patted my half-dragon on its cold nose before handing the reins to a waiting stable boy.

In measured steps I walked towards the woman claiming to be my wife.

Her face stayed calm and serene as I approached.

She looked into my eyes with unwavering resolve.

Leaning a bit forward, I placed a kiss onto her forehead.

She smelled like a fresh rose drenched in summer sunlight.

"Have you been well, my wife Katiana?"

Her almond shaped hazel eyes widened for a moment - then a breath later, returned to their normal state.

A small smile played on her lips before she answered.

"The kind steward and all the staff have been most welcoming, my Duke. Thank you for your concern. You must be tired and hungry from the long trip. The cooks have prepared an excellent meal, if you wish to dine?" [Katiana]

My - what a cool blooded cuckoo we have here.

"I will join you in the dining hall."

Katiana nodded briefly and as if it was the most natural of movements, linked her arm into mine before pulling me gently towards the manor entrance.

She was tall, almost as tall as I was.

But from her touch and closeness to me, I felt she was also a fragile being.

According to my informants, she had not been fed well during her childhood, and it showed in small ways.

Part of me I had never known or felt before wanted desperately to protect this fairy like existence.

Passing my normally cold and reserved steward, I noticed him beaming a wide and proud smile at Katiana.

Since when was this old bachelor of a steward such a dotting father figure?


When we had walked far ahead enough so that my whisper would not carry, I bent a bit toward Katiana's ear.

"We will talk later. You will have to excuse me, but I cannot recall our matrimony day at all."

Her almond shaped eyes looked up into mine and blinked once before whispering back with a smile.

"I suspect battle stress has caused my dear husband some amnesia - I will need to work diligently to pamper you back to health." [Katiana]

For the first time in my life my face reacted on its own.

My left eyebrow rose up.

What an unexpected answer.

We arrived in the dining hall - and indeed a delicious smelling but not overly complex meal for two people was presented on the table.

There were many items I had never seen in this manor before.

Was that Katiana's influence?

Before taking my own place at the table, I guided Katiana to one of the two chairs, providing her the assistance to sit that was normally a butler's or maid's job.


"My Duke, are you done now with the war?" [Katiana]

"War? What do you know of it?"

"Only what was published - a greedy kingdom attempting to expand at the Empire's expense." [Katiana]

"Hah. Was barely worth getting up in the morning..." 

"Still, I am ecstatic that my Duke has returned to me unharmed." [Katiana]

"Call me by my name, dear wife Katiana. You know I do not care much for empty formalities." 

Yes, this was a test, dear cuckoo of mine - only those closest to me would know if I stood on formalities or not - let us see what she decides.

Katiana measured me for a few heartbeats, her fork frozen half way to her mouth.

I could almost see tiny gears churning away at high speed in her head.

"Of course... dear husband Nitram..." [Katiana]

Well, it was a 50/50 gamble - which she won this time.

"I have read your incredible proposals for the Dukedom - we should discuss them tomorrow if you have time?" 

Katiana's face lit up, eyes wide, a big smile spreading across her cheeks - her normal calm went out the window, and her demeanor now reminded me of an excited puppy seeing a treat.

"Oh! Of course, I am at your disposal anytime to go over my ideas! What projects did you think would be best to start with? The hospitals? The orphanages? The water treatment plants? The crop rotation system? Or maybe the..." [Katiana]

Although I am not normally rude to ladies, I interrupted her softly.

"Yes yes, all of them. Decide what you want to tackle first, and we will start with that."

Katiana settled down a bit again and I heard her murmuring under her breath in a language I did not know.

She ticked off some invisible numbers on her fingers, making many strange faces as she mumbled and calculated away.

What strange behavior.

Cute.

But in a way also alien.

Dessert was brought in by the kitchen staff.

Again, several items appeared before me that I was unfamiliar with.

In the middle of eating a cream puff, Katiana suddenly looked me straight in the eye.

"Oh! Kay! I have decided! We should start with the water treatment - that will affect everything else down the line." [Katiana]

Kay? Huh? Who was that...?

As I had never met any members of Count Belirosa's family before, all I knew was according to my network.

The report had said that the woman sitting across from me had an extreme personality change over half an year ago.

Before then, all her life after her mother's suspicious death, it was reported that Katiana had lived in constant fear of her step-mother's and step-siblings' abuse.

This was neither a docile nor subservient being in front of me - her very eyes glowed, and her hands waved about with passion as she talked about her proposals.


The meal was done, the last drop of coffee drunk.

I stood - and after gently pulling her chair away from the table, held out my hand to Katiana.

She looked at it for a moment before putting her own hand in mine.

I led her down the hall towards the bedrooms, and stopped in front of the rooms reserved for the Duchess.

"I suspect you will want a bath before bed?"

A new emotion took hold of Katiana - I watched in fascination as a red glow spread on her cheeks.

It then slowly crept down her neck.

She was blushing - I would never have guessed she was capable of that!

"Ah... yes, if I may?" [Katiana]

"Then I will hand you over to your maids. Please rest well, and we will see each other in the morning, if you allow me to break fast with you."

Katiana let out a small huff.

The tension that had noticeably built up these last few seconds in her hand that was still holding mine...

Released.

"Yes... yes thank you! Sleep well!" [Katiana]

I let her hand go, gave a very kurt nod to the maids that were ready to take their mistress away, and turned towards my office - I still had work to do after all.

With that we parted ways for the night.


 

11