Chapter 2 – It All Begins Now!
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I have killed over hundreds." (Me)

"I have slaughtered over hundreds of thousands and my hands are still clean." (Hero)

"Shut up and work."
The brown hair elderly named Rogue complained.

Rogue and Sophie looked the most elderly among us despite the gods reverted everyone up above the heavens to their 20s.

The 3 of us right now were digging up potatoes in a large field. Even though it was afternoon, the sun blaze wasn't intense. After filling up three baskets with them, we left and walked to the barn. The building looked like a barn; inside was a dining room instead of a usual barn keeping their livestock.

It was also a kitchen, and our instructor was peeling some potatoes. There were two rectangular tables for 12 people each. Besides that, baskets of grapes the girls collected were put aside, including a few baskets of potatoes we collected. Two members of our team were already inside eating.

"Welcome back." (Steve)
The light brown hair guy greeted us.

"Do we finally have enough to sell a dozen baskets of potatoes without worry?" (Hans)

"12 baskets is ample for us to last at least 4 days and we have 30 of them." (Me)

The farming group had collected enough potatoes to sell at the potato shop. By selling a dozen of them, we could earn one or two achievement points each. Achievement Points is a points system that calculates your accomplishment. The greater the accomplishment, the greater benefits we can get.

"It's 20 minutes walk to the place, right? I can only take 2 trips there." (Steve)

"I'm the same, but I will gain more muscle as I farm." (Hans)

"Count me in."
Steve answered as he nodded.

Hans and Steve were members of the farming group. We split into smaller groups of 3. One doing the farming, one harvests the grapes while the rest goes fishing.

"Haha, I shall do twice as much of what you shall be doing then."
Hero told after he monopolized a basket of grapes and laid on the ground.
"A superior like me must do more than the inferiors."
With his head rested on the hand of his vertical arm, he dropped a grape into his mouth.

"I still refuse to believe that's the reason why grapes were planted." (Hans)

Hero told us grapes were planted for people like him, lying down on a woman's thighs and letting her drop a grape into your mouth—the sole reason for the existent of the grapes.

"But you must. We are now above the heavens." (Hero)

Hero was right. We died and ascended to the heavens. Being up here was considered another world, which was why our sense of normal turned upside down. Typically, grapes take three years to harvest, while potatoes take 2 or 3 months. But here, grapes only needed ten days to grow while potatoes took two days.

"He's right. It's a whole new world. We need to accept whatever it is up here." (Me)

"Your baked potatoes are ready!"
Our instructor yelled as he placed our food on the boy's table.

Potatoes and grapes were the few consumable foods we have. In our team, there were precisely 12 for each gender. Hence the tables and seat arrangement. Some girls went to collect grapes while the rest were fishing with boys that had weak bodies. Hans was the same, but he said farming was the way to go, and Steve joined him.

Rogue and I went to our seats. I, of course, sat at the side where I could see the girls' table. We munched on our baked potatoes with no seasoning on them. But with the sweetness of the grapes, we could eat something with flavor.

"You guys not going back yet?"
Rogue asked since Steve and Hans both finished their meal.

"No, I can't go back and study with the trial event coming soon." (Hans)

"I don't have anything to do, might as well join you guys here." (Steve)

The trial event was an event that would happen in the next two days. It's an event that will give all teams a chance to climb up the leaderboard. Our team was currently in last place with 34 Monthly Points. That was why we were living like poor commoners.

"Hey, we're back. We got 4 of them."
The light yellow hair named Bob answered.

Bob and the rest of the boys returned from the bay behind the barn with four fishes on them. They passed the fish to our instructor, and he started preparing.

"Ander not getting any right?" (Rogue)

"Yes, you're right. You should be thankful to me for not wanting any fish meat. The meat I'm after is far more beyond and delicious."
I would be half full after ogling at the girls, but I can go on for days without food if I devour their bodies whole. Hehehe~
I accidentally released a creepy smile as I stared at the empty girls' table.

"Ander, you will scare the girls away."
Bob warned me as I continued to fantasize about the girls.

"What you said just now was right, Ander. Bob, we need to condone his pervert behavior if we want to monopolize the fish ourselves." (Hans)

Salmon was the only type of fish that existed. They swam in groups but were alone in the bay. So catching them was extremely hard. That was why we scheduled who would get the fish for the week on which day.

"Hey Bob, if Ander not getting any, give me his share." (Rogue)

"Eh?! But Ander not getting any fish at all, isn't he?"

"I know, I know. Instead of removing his name from when he will get the fish, just switch his name to mine."

"Eh?! But-"

Before Bob could answer, Hero butted in after getting up from the ground.
"I concur! But, you need to score a lot of Achievement Points in the upcoming trial event first."

"Oh? Is this how you manipulated others and kept your hands clean all this time? Maybe I should tell him about it."
Rogue said with a threatening face while grinning, but Hero scorned him.

By him, Rogue was referring to the instructor. On the first day of being here, the instructor told us about the 12 rules we needed to abide by, and one of them was about manipulation.

"Hahaha, you can go ahead and try. Only failure awaits you. Just like how you failed to use rule number 4. Hahaha!"
Hero continued to laugh as he walked out of the barn.

"Oh yeah, the girls said they are going to be playing at the bay for a while today."
Frank, the plump guy with black hair, announced.

"What! Was what Bob said the truth?! Did they realize?!" (Me)

"They had always known about it." (Hans)

"I see, so they figured out and are avoiding me. Got no choice."
I got up from my seat after finishing munching my potatoes and grape.
"So that I can continue to glare at their wonderful figures. I must not let them starve. Farewell, my comrades!"
I left the barn and walked straight back home.

"Just why did he have to be in the same team with us. What sin had I done before I die?" (Hans)

"But, we might need him to aim for higher placement, don't we?"
Bob questioned, and no one spoke back because they knew the answer.

They were sure Ander would try his best in the event to impress the girls, while Hero had declared that he desired the highest position of the ranking, so he would definitely do his best.

As for the others, some wanted to escape poverty and will do their best, but some had given up and said it was impossible. Before we came here, the unknown transparent being said that we would team up with another team with similar strength to us. That was why, after noticing the huge difference of points, some had given up and already accepted their fate.

"153 Monthly Points, I wonder how strong they are." (Bob)

The second last-place team had 153 MP while we only had 34.

"Who cares? We just need to do whatever we can." (Rogue)

"I agree. When it comes to using our head, I'm sure I can excel." (Hans)

"I would say I'm quite knowledgable myself." (Frank)

"I don't think I have any good qualities." (Steve)

"Me too." (Bob)

After Steve and Bob exclaimed their uselessness, the other nameless male members also did the same, and the atmosphere in the barn became heavy.

"I finished baking your potatoes~!"
The instructor placed the plates on the table.

"...he's like a caretaker." (Hans)

"He sure is." (Nameless)

***

Waking up early, I left the house to do something at the bay. After that, I went to the rendezvous meeting point with the potato farming gang. 4 of them were already waiting.

"Sorry, was I late?"

"No, you got here early. We just came even earlier." (Hans)

We met each other at the barn. We all carried a basket filled with potatoes on our back with the two handles and left to the potato shop northwest. After walking through the road towards the place with lots of unused buildings, we finally reached the shop, with a sign telling us to just place the baskets of potatoes in front of the door entrance.

"What do we do, knock?" (Steve)

"Haha, do not fret. We shall follow as we are told."
Hero placed his basket down after Rogue had already done so.
"There is no way team 5 did this. They have no reason for doing this."

Team 5 was the team with 153 points, the team we were aiming to beat. They also live in the same condition as us, but a little better.

"Alright, let's head back and bring the rest over."
Rogue said as he started walking.

"By doing this, we will earn at the very least 1 point each, right?" (Hans)

"Yeah. That's what our instructor said." (Steve)

"Miranda will also earn one too, right?" (Me)

Miranda was the only female to dig potatoes. But she doesn't do so during our weekly food gathering. The gathering was that we would collect the food together as a team because we had to collect our own food after the first week, or we would be exiled. It was an idea Hero suggested so no one would complain about the difference in workload, and we agreed. Above the heavens, 12 days is a week while one month consists of 3 weeks and the months in a year stay constant.

"Maybe, I do not know how the points system works." (Hans)

"Time will tell, you peasants."
Hero told as he left the area, and we followed suit.

We did the same thing one more time. We carried the baskets to the shop and placed them on the front door.

"Oi, where were the previous baskets?!"
Steve exclaimed in anger.

"The person inside must have taken it, who knows?" (Me)

"Dammit, if we don't get any points, I had wasted my energy for nothing."
Steve collapsed on the ground.

"I'm also tired from the continuous walking and carrying the heavy basket."
Hans rested his body with his back on the wall of the shop.

"You guys can stay and rest. I'm going back though." (Rogue)

"Yeah, you and Hero can go back. I'm gonna do some shopping." (Me)

"Shopping? Why shop with the little points we have?" (Hans)

"Hans, let's not question him. He is on the path to bravery." (Steve)

"Sounds like you know something." (Hans)

"I do." (Steve)

"Well then, Rogue. Why not the both of us men that refuse to tell others real names carry the last two baskets?"

"Ah~? Is someone tired from all the carrying now?"

"Surely you jest."
As Hero left along with Rogue, both Steve and Hans rested in front of the shop.

"Hey, do you think we get to see the shopkeeper if we stay?" (Steve)

"Probably. Hopefully whoever they are don't kill us just so we can't see their face." (Hans)

After I bought the stuff I needed, I sat and rested with the other two. We waited for Hero to come back, and He came back with the basket on his back along with Rogue. The five baskets we previously carried were still with us, and after they put down the two baskets, we have yet to earn any points.

Steve released his frustration while Hero just laughed and told us we should leave. Only after we left the area for over a couple of minutes. We finally earned points we worked hard for. Everyone except Steve and Hans got 2 points.

***

I returned back to my house in the night after finishing my dinner with the team. It was old and broken. Just like the school, it had only one floor and a couple of rooms. My house had one bathroom, and the bedroom was the room after entering through the door entrance, not a guest room.

My bedroom was spacious and had one table with a couple of chairs. I entered a room with different machinery in it. Coldwater would sprinkle down on me the moment I pressed a button below the weird-looking pipe, a machine designed to flush away the toxic wastes I released, a strong wind would blow forth my whole body to keep me dry, these were something that didn't exist in my world.

After taking a shower, I returned to my bedroom. I opened the closet and put on my sleepwear, reminiscing about the things that happened today while reclining on the bed. Due to the potential risk of getting exiled by the event tomorrow, I decided to use my Blessing on two different team members just in case I disappear forever so that I can have the last opportunity to admire their sacred beauty.

After recalling the events that happened today, I prayed. Although I called myself an atheist in the past, I now believed in gods and prayed that I could stay above the heavens till the end. I fell asleep soon after.

On the next day in school, Hero established an oligarchy and selected Hans and Sophie to be in it, the three members of ours that spoke during our first meeting with each other. He also created a hierarchy and placed himself at the highest along with the other two. Frank, Rogue, and Miranda were in the middle while the rest were at the lowest bottom.

Afterward, the instructor came in and explained the trial. Then, before we were teleported to the place that the trial would be held, Hero made a quick announcement.

"I desire the first place! We shall defeat our foes and make our triumphant return! You lot better put in your utmost effort to achieve first place!

Then, bright light devoured the entire classroom, and we appeared in an abandoned village.

2