31. A Family Gathering
435 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=::= Tally's PoV =::=

"Is everyone ready?" Ms. Watson asked as she looked at the three of us.

We were all dressed up this evening, all four of us looked great I thought. Me and Beth were in matching dresses, but as usual mine was black while hers was white. We both had matching pairs of heels on too. And both of us put a little more care into our hair and make-up than usual.

Meanwhile Jen was in a pair of dark slacks and a pretty white blouse, and she even had some low heels on as well which made her look even taller. She didn't have any make-up on but her long hair was nicely styled. And finally Ms. Watson was wearing heels, a navy blue knee-length skirt, and a pretty pale yellow blouse. She had her usual subtle make-up, and her long dark hair was also nicely brushed and styled.

All four of us were also wearing spring jackets, since it was still a little cool out this time of year, especially in the evening and at night. I thought we all looked ready for a night out somewhere fancy, which is exactly what we had planned.

Me and Beth and Jenny were all ready, so Ms. Watson gestured to the door. "Then let's get a move on, I'm sure we don't want to be late."

"Jenny you can drive us there if you like," she added as we all headed out towards the mini-van.

That put a smile on the tall blonde's face. She accepted the keys as she grinned, "Sweet!"

As usual me and Beth climbed into the back of the van, while Jen got behind the wheel and Ms. Watson got into the passenger seat. And a few moments later we were on our way.

Jenny knew roughly where we were going, but she'd never been to this particular restaurant before so her mom had to give her directions and stuff. Meanwhile me and Beth were petting each other's tails like usual as we sat beside each other in the second row. And as we got nearer to the restaurant I couldn't help feeling a bit anxious again.

It was Friday evening, May fourteenth, and we were going out to celebrate my birthday. That actually happened on Wednesday, but it was a school night and everything so apart from getting some gifts and stuff we all agreed to delay the celebrations until tonight.

That's not why I was feeling uptight though.

It was who'd be there waiting for us that had me feeling a bit on edge, even though it really shouldn't have. My mom and dad and sister were all meeting us at the restaurant. The three of them and the four of us would be having dinner together, and I couldn't help worry how that was going to play out.

The last time my parents met Ms. Watson was almost a year ago, and there was a lot of tension and stuff between everyone at the time. That was just a week after my change, when we all met at QSAW and Ms. Watson sort of put my folks in their place about how bad things were for me at home.

Obviously a lot had changed since then, my relationship with mom and dad got a lot better over the months after that. By xmas things with my parents actually felt better than they ever had before. I still hadn't moved back home with them though, and I probably never would. And the situation with my parents kind of took a step backwards at the start of this year, thanks to my sister.

After Lina announced that she'd made the decision not to change herself back into a guy things with my mom got a little heated again. She never came out and said it, but I was positive mom blamed me for my sister's decision. Which meant that things were strained again between my mom and I for a couple months. And needless to say, mom wasn't very happy with Lina either.

Things were only just starting to get better again, and everyone getting together tonight to celebrate my birthday was supposed to be part of that. It was actually my dad's suggestion, he really wanted us all to get along.

"Hey," my girlfriend whispered as she leaned closer. "It'll be fine. Don't sweat it, ok Tally?"

I smiled as I whispered back, "I know Beth. Thanks for reminding me though."

Another minute or two later we were pulling into the parking lot. Jenny found us a spot then the four of us emerged from the van. I took a second to straighten out my dress and everything, then we all headed for the front doors. Along the way I spotted my dad's car in another parking space, but I didn't see Lina's. Unless she came with our parents, but I wasn't sure if she'd do that or if she'd come by herself.

The restaurant was really fancy inside, all the staff were in skirts and blouses or slacks with proper shirts and ties, and instead of playing loud pop or dance stuff in the background they had some quiet classical music. There weren't any TVs in sight either.

Ms. Watson spoke with the hostess, and a moment later the four of us were led to one of the dining rooms. It wasn't exactly private, but the rooms were set up so there were only a couple tables in each area. That way there wasn't the usual loud din of conversation and background noise.

Sure enough mom and dad and Lina were already there waiting for us, at a large table with room for eight people even though there were only seven of us. It was set up with three chairs on either side, and one at each end. We also spotted some coat hooks on the wall near the entrance to the room, so we all hung our jackets up there before moving to join my family at the table.

Dad was sitting at one end of the table, with mom on the side next to him on his right. And Lina was sitting on the same side as our mom, but with an empty chair in between her and mom. Ms. Watson took the other end seat so she was opposite my dad, while my girlfriend steered me to the seat across from my sister. Then Beth took the middle seat on my right. And I expected Jenny to take the other seat on our side of the table next to Bethany, but the tall blonde surprised everyone by going around to the other side of the table and sitting down in between Lina and my mom.

"Hi Lina," I smiled to my sister as we got seated, "And mom and dad. You're all looking really nice."

My sister was in a cute pale pink dress, and she had some pretty diamond studs in her ears and a matching necklace. Her long hair was pulled back and held in place with a cute pink hair band. Mom was wearing a purple sweater over a white blouse and navy slacks, and dad was actually in a suit and tie.

"Hello Tally," my dad responded. "Happy birthday. And hello Bethany, it's good to see you again too. All four of you young ladies are looking wonderful tonight. Beth I don't think we've met your sisters, so maybe you'd like to introduce us?"

Beth and Jenny and Lina all smirked while I cringed slightly. And Ms. Watson looked like she was blushing a little.

"Thank you Mr. Lambert," my girlfriend replied. She gestured across the table, "That's my sister Jenny, she's in the same grade as me and Tally. Jen, these are Tally's parents, Andrew and Paula Lambert."

"Hello sir, hello ma'am," the tall strong blonde replied politely. "It's a pleasure to meet you both."

Then Beth gestured towards her mom as she continued, "And you've actually already met our mother, Maria Watson. Except she looks a little different now than she did last time you saw her."

"Hello again Paula, Andrew," Ms. Watson greeted my folks. She looked like she was trying not to blush too much as she added, "As I'm sure you've already realized, I made use of that spell a few months ago to change my appearance."

Both my parents looked surprised, and actually they both looked like they wanted to ask Ms. Watson some questions about that. For a moment I worried they were going to start asking her a bunch of personal or sensitive stuff, but in the end neither did. They just greeted her and Jenny, and left it at that.

Our waiter arrived right about then, to make sure everyone was comfortable and to get our drinks orders and everything. Jenny and Lina both got cola, while me and Beth and Ms. Watson just asked for water. My mom ordered wine, and dad got a beer. Then we all took a few minutes to look over the menus, and by the time the waiter was back with our beverages we were all ready to order.

The conversation picked up again after that, when my dad addressed me. "So how's school going Tally? I know graduation is only a month away, have you been keeping up with your studies?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm still focusing on science, especially biology? That's what I'll be studying next year at university too, so I've been really working to make sure my grades are good."

Dad seemed impressed, "You're going to university? Have you been accepted somewhere?"

I smiled as I announced, "Yeah! I got accepted at Brock! I'm going into the doctorate program in Biological Studies, so I'm going to be there for a while."

"Beth's going to Brock as well," I added happily. "We're both going into residence together at the start of September."

My girlfriend added, "I'm not in the sciences program with Tally, I'm going to be studying Philosophy instead."

Then my sister spoke up, "What about you Jenny? Have you got all your plans figured out for next year too?"

"I sure do," Jen responded. She looked like she was holding back a smirk as she added, "I've decided to enroll in the social sciences program at college over in Hamilton."

"Oh neat," Lina grinned. "What an unexpected coincidence. That's the same program I'm in, and the same college too. Maybe I can show you around when you get there?"

By that point me and Beth and Ms. Watson were all trying really hard not to eye-roll at the two blonde girls. I figured their little performance was for my parents' benefit, because both Lina and Jenny had to know the rest of us already figured out they'd become good friends.

It was a surprise at first, especially considering their history from a few years back. But ever since Jenny and Lina met at the mall at the end of March they'd been texting each other and talking on the phone almost daily. And the past month my sister kept finding excuses to come back to town every weekend, then she and Jen would end up spending a few hours hanging out at a coffee shop or whatever.

As near as I could tell there wasn't anything romantic going on between them, but they'd definitely struck up an interesting friendship. It actually left me wondering if Lina might be ace or aro like Jenny. I couldn't remember my sister ever having a girlfriend, even before she changed herself. No boyfriends either for that matter.

Whatever the two of them had going on I was happy for them, and I was positive all the Watsons were happy for them as well. And the pair made a cute couple, even if they weren't actually dating. They were both tall girls with long blonde hair, but Jenny was a little taller and had a strong athletic sort of figure, while Lina was skinny and looked like she'd blow away in a stiff breeze.

Mom and dad were still staring at the two blondes for a couple more seconds, but when mom finally spoke she addressed me rather than Lina or Jen.

"Tally, how were you planning to pay for university?" mom asked. "You haven't spoken to your father and I about it, and last I heard you haven't been working either."

I didn't actually know what to tell her, since the answer involved the coven and witches.

Fortunately Ms. Watson answered for me, "I was able to arrange funding for Tally through some contacts I have at QSAW. There's a private party that donates anonymously to assist trans and queer kids so they can afford post-secondary education. This private donor has provided enough funds to ensure Tally can focus all her energies on her education without worrying about tuition or living expenses."

I quietly nodded along with what she said. The best part was everything my girlfriend's mom told my folks was technically correct. Except we knew exactly who the donor was, and it didn't really come through the support organization. The money came directly from our Welsh Goddess, and it was more like a coven-member benefit rather than some sort of grant because I was trans.

It was another cool detail I learned over the last few months, but our Goddess looked after everyone in the coven. That was how Samantha and Nicole could live in that huge house on the vineyard. That was also how Jessica and Kara could afford to live in a sweet condo overlooking the lake, and how Ms. Watson could afford to raise four daughters as a single mom working at a non-profit organization.

The Goddess was also how Amanda and Sadie could afford to go to university in Toronto, along with Ashley and Brittany. And the Goddess would be paying Beth's tuition at Brock along with mine. She was sending Jenny to school in Hamilton too. Basically as long as we were doing something productive our Goddess would help look after all of us in the coven, which was another really cool benefit.

"Wow," my dad responded. "That's wonderful news. Thank you Maria for making those arrangements for Tally. Honestly, I'm grateful for everything you've done for her over the past year."

Ms. Watson smiled, "I'm just glad I was able to help. And in this case Tally's the one who deserves the real praise. She put in the effort and got the grades she needed to get herself accepted into the program she wanted. She set herself the task and worked hard to ensure she earned it."

That got me blushing a bit, especially when dad turned to smile at me.

"Maria's right Tally," dad said. "I'm proud of you, you've done really well for yourself. And as hard as it is to come out and say this, looking at where you are now and what you're doing with your life, I'm glad you used that spell last year. I know we've all had some rough spots since then, but it seems to me that you've made the most out of every single opportunity."

He added, "You look great hon. You seem happy. And the fact that you've found something you're passionate about and you've put the effort in to make that your focus at university is wonderful. I just know you're going to be successful in whatever you set your mind to do."

"Thanks dad," I grimaced. "I haven't really thought of stuff like that? I feel like I've been super lucky, to be honest? But yeah, I really want to study demi-human biology so that's what I've been focusing on all through grade twelve. And that's what I'll be working on at university."

My mom had been quiet for a while, and I realized she was sort of staring at me. It made me feel self-conscious, and maybe a bit worried about what she was thinking.

Then she took a deep breath, and finally smiled. "Your father's right Tally. I know we haven't seen eye to eye about a lot of things, and this past year's been difficult for all of us. But you've done really well for yourself hon. You look and sound happy, and I don't think I've ever heard you so excited about school or education before."

"I admit it's been hard seeing you flourish so much under someone else's care," she added with a sigh, "But the important thing is that you're happy and doing well. Which I suppose is a long way to say, I'm happy for you hon, and I'm glad for how things turned out."

That left me smiling, "Thanks mom. I really appreciate that."

At that point our waiter and an assistant arrived carrying a couple big trays, then started serving plates of delicious-looking food in front of everyone. Then the two waiters topped up everyone's drinks, before heading away again as we all got started. Everything looked and smelled amazing, and tasted even better.

And despite some initial awkwardness, and whatever silliness Jenny and Lina were up to, it was actually still the best birthday dinner I'd ever had.

This is a commissioned story, so updates only happen when patrons commission a new chapter. Patrons always get chapters one or two weeks before anyone else, so if you're eager to get caught-up join are Patreon and you'll get all the latest chapters and new stories! And if you'd like to help move this story along, think about sponsoring a chapter!
Today's chapter was courtesy of Lucy who commissioned it!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

23