16 – Growing the Crystal Flower
468 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I put flowerpot for the Crystal Flower on the ground with the Treant’s monster core next to it. Then Evie sprinkled some kind of glitter dust in the flowerpot. Apparently, this is pollen from her Crystal Flower. It’s the last ingredient. After we finished the preparations, Evie positioned herself next to the flowerpot and monster core and put a hand on each. She closed her eyes and starts casting her magic.

Somehow, I could feel a change in the environment. I am not really sure how to describe it, but it feels kind of warm. Is this Evie’s magic energy? But other than that, nothing happens at first. It was a minute later when the Treant’s monster core starts glowing. First, it’s just really dim, but the more time passes, the brighter it gets.

I don’t know what kind of magic Evie is using, but it doesn’t look like it’s easy. She is casting her magic for about half an hour now and finally a small sprout appears in the flowerpot. But at that point I could see that Evie had problems of keeping herself in the air and tiny drops of sweat appear on her forehead. That’s why I put my hand under her feet to support her. I am not sure if it is a rude gesture to fairies, but I don’t just want to sit there doing nothing, while she is keeping up her hard work.

In total, it took about 2 hours, but the Crystal Flower was finished and the monster core stopped glowing and lost all of its color as a result. When Evie stopped casting her magic, she immediately falls onto her knees.

“Thank you very much, Evie. I didn’t expect your spell to be that difficult.” I told her.

“Yes, it was a bit more difficult than expected. And thank you for supporting me.” Ok, it didn’t seem like I was rude when I put my hands below her feet. We continued talking for a bit while looking at the Crystal Flower. Now that I look at it from up close, it looks even more fascinating.

The sun is about to set, and my stomach begins to make some noises. Now that I think about it, I ate nothing since breakfast. So I prepare dinner and then go to sleep. The next morning I say goodbye to Evie, since I have to go back to Gilicia.

“It was really nice to have someone to talk. You can visit me anytime.” She said with a smile and she also told me to not tell other people about her.

“Yeah, it was nice meeting you. And thank you again for your help. But unfortunately I am going to leave the nearby city soon. But if I am ever in the area again, I will definitely come and visit you.” When I tell her that, she seems sad, but then she smiles again and tells me that I definitely have to come and visit her again.

My journey back to Gilicia was quite uneventful compared to when I was searching the Crystal Flower. Of course, I had to fight a few monsters again, but nothing like a Treant or even a Terror Bear. I could also move a lot faster, since I didn’t have to search for such a small flower. And so, a few days later, I arrived back at Gilicia.

I thought for a moment, if I should just enter the east gate, but in the end I circled around the city and enter through the north gate. I just wanted to avoid being questioned about the Cursed Forest.

Of course, I get stopped at the gate again and the guards ask me where I was, since they didn’t see me for almost two weeks, but I just told them I had an errand to do. I enter the city without further trouble and head straight to the inn, since it is starting getting late.

The next morning, I thought about how to get in contact with the lord to negotiate about the flower. There is the option about just going to his mansion and ask the guards, but in the end I decide to go through the Guild. That way, the Guild can save face and maybe I get some bonus points with them, too.

I wait until the end of the morning rush and then head to the guild. Luckily Ayas counter is free when I arrive, so I walk up to her counter and greet her. “Hey Aya, long time no see.”

“Huh? Benji? Where were you? I was worried since you suddenly disappeared saying nothing!” She pouts angrily, but still seems happy that I am alright.

“Ah, sorry, sorry. I left the city for some time.” I apologized while trying not to laugh. “I actually wanted to talk about that, but is there maybe a more quiet place?”

“Sorry, but I can’t just leave the counter, just to listen to your story.” She was a bit confused. It seems she misunderstood me and thinks I just want to talk to her privately.

“Well, it’s actually about work. I want to ask the Guild for a favor, but I think it will also be profitable for the Guild, too.” I explained. She thought for a bit, but then talked to the other receptionist for a moment and then led me to a private meeting room.

“So what do you want to talk about?” she asks curiously.

“I went to the Cursed Forest and…” I tried to explain, but she immediately interrupts me.

“Huh? You did what? Why would you do that?”

“Well, that’s what I try to explain. Do you remember what we talked about last time? The Crystal Flower? Is that quest still open?”

“Ah, right? Yes, that quest is still open. After all, there is no one who would enter…” she stopped talking and widens her eyes. “Don’t tell me, you…”

“Yes, I got the Crystal Flower.” I put it out of my magic bag to show her and she just stares at the flower for about a minute, before mumbling “Beautiful.”

Then she faces me again, and says, “But why did you do this? You are not even an adventurer. Of course it helps the Guild a lot, but I still don’t understand.”

I explain my reasons. I tell her I don’t really care about the reward money and I tell her what I want to negotiate about. Of course, I could try to contact the lord directly, but I decided to go through the Guild, for various reasons. When I finished explaining, she just stares at me with wide eyes, but then nods in understanding. “Alright, could you wait here for a moment? I go explain to the guildmaster and prepare everything.”

“It’s okay. Thank you.”

17