16.2
143 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at the person standing by the wooden door, Shen ShanYuan removes his gaze and walks inside. Picking a teacup, Shen ShanYuan sits down by the head. 

Although humiliated, Han Xiaowen forcibly restrained his mood. Grabbing a chair opposite, he starts negotiating.

"There's going to be an imperial banquet in 3 days."

Imperial banquet. Just some event where officials and scholars gather for fun. Usually, the group would be divided in which a certain troupe would compete. The reason Han Xiaowen brought this up is naturally because of the scholar's competition. 

Ever since Shen ShanYuan was sent out of the Han's household, he went back to the Shen manor. Relying on his mother's connection, he quickly earns credit and is loved in the Shen's family. However, the people outside only knew him as a child thrown out by the father's side and had to pitifully scramble back to the mother's side. Such a child is naturally going to be looked down upon, not to mention it's the mother's family. Learning this rumor, Grandpa Shen wants to admonish these ugly words immediately but is stopped by his favorite grandson. Shen ShanYuan earned merit for the Shen's house once he came. Not to mention, the child is very obedient and likeable. So how could there be such rumors going on? Of course, Grandpa Shen denounces that the Han should have a hand in it. Therefore, his already bad impression of the Hans plummet further down.

All this but that doesn't stop Han Xiaowen from sticking to Shen ShanYuan. Since his success in the provincial exams was thanks to Shen ShanYuan's effort, Han Xiaowen always found a reason to suck the other dry. Knowing this, Shen ShanYuan didn't say anything. From then on, he completely helps and hands over his work for Han Xiaowen to copy. Earning a scholar award ranked the #3, Han Xiaowen wants to complain that Shen ShanYuan's best wasn't enough for him to get the first place. Han Xiaowen doesn't speak out his word but how could Shen ShanYuan not realise that? After all, without him how could Han Xiaowen even reach the 3rd? Rather than dismissing this brother of his, he calmly shots a questioning gaze.

'Humph! Acting dumb?!' Han Xiaowen grumbles.  

"That, I got the invitation card."

"Oh."

Han Xiaowen looks at Shen ShanYuan, hoping the latter can guess his meanings. He doesn't want to put it out otherwise it's such an utter shame for him to even ask for help! 

It seems everything has been handed to his hand so easily that Han Xiaowen himself had immensely drowned himself in the illusion where all the success he had gotten were his own hard work, not the copied work. 

"Is that all?"

Looking at the aloof, detached appearance, Han Xiaowen felt angered but to reach here he can control his emotions. 

"Aren't we brothers? I came here to discuss with you about the topics. What do you think they would discuss on that day? Let me have a look at your recent writings? I can help deduce and give some ideas."

From the word, it sounds like a helpful brother offering help but he knows that Han Xiaowen would use these tricks to snatch the ideas and implement it on paperwork that has his own name.

Apart from Han Xiaowen, no one knows that Shen ShanYuan likes to scribble and write manuscripts and poems. He came upon once, the feeling of not being able to put down the document still fascinates him until now. If it is published for the public, this work is going to be a masterpiece! 

But he won't let that happen. This brother of his should just stay laid down and be a loser.

Of course, Shen ShanYuan knows of the implied banquet. But it has been a decade, he supposes it is time for the play to happen. Glancing at Han Xiaowen's flattering look, a disgust flash past his eyes. He puts down his teacup and turns to the side.

"Are we really brothers?"

Han Xiaowen is startled by the change in aura, then the question stumped him. 

'Does this idiot know something? Impossible! He's been hiding in the Shen's manor all year. How come he knows the news from outside? Heh, being kicked out but still unfavor outside as well. Really unpleasant.'

Shen ShanYuan ignores the emotions in the other's eyes, waiting for the answer. 

"Of course, we are! Haven't I been sending you gifts? Don't you like them? Brother has more for you. What do you like? If you have something in mind, let brother know! I will lend my little Yuan a hand! Don't you know father and mother misses you so much…"

"But they were the ones who mercilessly kicked me out of there."

Han Xiaowen chokes on his next word. 

"I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I had lost my inspiration as I grew up. You already read my latest work. I can't come up with anything at this time. So brother, you should go back."

All those words that are prepared are pushed back easily. It is true. He had noticed the work handed to him lately was embellished rubbish with no sense at all. He had a hard time contemplating it don't mention a desire to take a look. If possible, he doesn't want to touch those manuscripts again!

Thinking about it, Han Xiaowen pretends to sigh. Sipping the offered cup on the marble jade beside his chair, he stands up. Giving a look, he waves his sleeves and leaves.

"Han Xiaowen. The Shen and Han have cut off connection for a long time. Being the younger generations, we should follow suit. To not make our ancestors disappointed. Don't you agree?"

Han Xiaowen pauses slightly, quickly throws a reply before stepping out of the manor.

"I don't see a mistake."

After all, this person has already become a waste. What use does he need him for?

Shen ShanYuan retracts back his gaze. 

"Don't go back on your words, brother. You'll see that I have a surprise for you by then. Would your reaction be one of surprise, disappointment, disbelief… or perhaps anger? Anyhow, look forward to it."

2