Chapter 5: The Wolf Deity In The Mountain
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: The Wolf Deity in the Mountain
I
It was Satoshi’s sixteenth birthday. However, no celebration heralded his ascent to manhood, as this was the time that he would leave the Hiroyuki manor on a journey to get rid of his curse. None of the other Hiroyuki members of the household, save for Akiko Hiroyuki, said goodbye to Satoshi. Though Satoshi didn’t mind. He didn’t expect the elders or the rest of the family members to come bid him farewell. To them, they only saw him as the aragami that cast its curse upon him when he was only seven years old. However, leaving his mother was a hard thing to do. She wrapped her arms around him tightly, holding onto him as though he would meld through her chest and into her heart. Akiko then stepped back, looking at Satoshi with a serious expression on her face as she said, “You look more like your father every day, Satoshi-kun.”

“I’ll miss you, Mother,” Satoshi said as he kissed his mother goodbye. “You were the only one who believed in me after all these years.”

“Be strong, Satoshi,” Akiko said as she put her hands on Satoshi’s shoulders and rested them there gently. “Remember what I’ve taught you. Make sure that you eat plenty of vegetables when you’re out on your journey. Groom yourself and look presentable to other people. Be kind to others, and remember that you’re more than the malice that is inside you. Be kind to all living things. Be merciful to those who hardly deserve mercy, but spare them because you have love instead of hatred in your heart.”

“I will,” Satoshi said as he smiled towards his mother. He then started to hesitatingly take a few steps off from the Hiroyuki grounds, turning back to face his mother. His mother held up her hand in farewell, and Satoshi returned the gesture before he turned forward and didn’t look back. The sun rose high in the sky, warming Satoshi’s face as he looked towards the heavens and let the wind sway his dark hair. It would be a long journey ahead of him, he knew, though Satoshi was determined to get rid of his curse, no matter what. He would come back to see his mother’s face again.

Satoshi paused at a small shrine, regarding it with a contemplative cast on his features. Satoshi then clapped his hands together, inclining his head a bit in reverence, before he began to pray to the shrine deity that dwelled there. A gentle breeze blew, as though in response to Satoshi’s prayers. His long dark hair swayed with the wind and his Onmyouji regalia fluttered as Satoshi heard the whispering voices of something unseen in the world. It was faint, yet Satoshi could hear the spirits speaking to him, just like how his mother divined through the wind and heard their voices. Once he finished, Satoshi had a small smile on his lips.

“Farewell, friend. I hope that more travelers passing by shall pay their respects.”

He bowed, before he went off onto the dirt road leading away from the shrine. It was unusual to see shrines such as these in this day and age, especially since mankind rejected the kami and spirits. Instead of worshipping deities within their shrines, mankind started building vast and terrible structures over the landscape that used to breathe with the life of spirits.

“The skies are so blue…” Satoshi remarked while looking up at the sky. “I wonder how long until mankind takes away the holy lands that are sacred to us Onmyouji?”

The sakura were in full bloom, with their petals cast away to the winds like ashes for a funeral pyre. Satoshi shielded his eyes from the blinding sun peering from the horizon, trapped behind a dragon-like ridge of mountains. Satoshi continued walking further down the dirt path, the sakura petals drifting behind him.

When Satoshi made his way into the village, merchants were spreading out their wares, such as brightly colored dyes and silk for fabrics, exotic spices from another part of the continent of Jipangu, and freshly caught fish from another river. Children were at play on the dirt roads, treading underfoot of the adults who were busy with their affairs. Making his way into a straw-roofed structure, pushing aside a woolen fabric hanging in the doorframe, Satoshi then said, “I have traveled far from the west of Jipangu. I come here seeking guidance, Village Elder.”

“You are Hiroyuki Satoshi, yes?” The Elder said, before ushering him further into the brightly colored tent. “I have been informed of your arrival by your mother, Akiko. You wish to know how to get rid of the curse, yes?”

Satoshi nodded, before he parted his robes a little bit to reveal the markings of the seal that bound the curse. “This seal was branded upon me when I was small. Eventually, the seal will break and the curse will take over. Even now, I still feel its hateful purpose…”

“Ah yes, the curse that is planted on you is very powerful,” The Village Elder said. “Be grateful that the seal hasn’t spread to your face. Once it spreads to your face, it would’ve been over for you.”

Satoshi bowed his head in reverence. The village elder then threw some bones onto the rug in front of her, sprawling them out into secret patterns that only she could decipher. The Elder was known as the Bone Lady around this village, and she would take the bones of creatures that have passed away and use them to divine her secrets and fortunes. She peered at the patterns the bones displayed, before she said, “You have a long journey ahead of you, young Satoshi. I’m afraid you cannot stay here for very long--we cannot risk the spread of the corruption among the children of this village.”

“Of course, Lady Elder.”

“The landscape is changing. The gods and spirits are no longer revered as they once were. Mankind is building their weapons of destruction and their cities of steel against the deities that have sheltered us for so long. The world is experiencing a spiritual imbalance, and mankind is becoming ignorant of the old ways that we’ve practiced for so long and faithfully. Tell me, what has your mother taught you during your years of growing up in the Hiroyuki Manor? She did teach you about the elements and the principles of Yin and Yang, correct?”

“That she did. She taught me many things.”

“Yet she couldn’t have taught you everything that all she knew in that time span. The rest you have to learn on your journey through the world. Seek out the dwelling places of the deities that embody each element: Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, and the Cosmos, if you truly wish to become an Onmyouji like Kohryu. Even if the curse may be within your body, you can suppress it as long as you learn how to spiritually master yourself in all the elements.”

Satoshi nodded, and eagerly awaited to hear more of the Elder’s words.

“There is also a wolf deity in the mountains,” The Elder explained to Satoshi. “She has overlooked this village for many years. However, the people of the village have become less dependent on her and found new ways of tending the rice fields and fending off the deer and boar from them. Perhaps she could help aid you in your journey.”

“A wolf deity?” Satoshi asked. “What is her name?”

“Her name is Kohaku. She was named such after the color of her amber eyes,” the Village Elder said, before she turned to look towards the burning fire that smelled of sweet incense and herbs. “She will judge you by your character when you make your way to her home at the mountain peak. A wolf can always tell the difference between a man and an animal. Which one are you, son of Kohryu and Akiko?”

“I suppose that’s for the deity to decide,” Satoshi said. “I thank you for your counsel. I shall journey through the mountains and find the wolf deity that you speak of.”

“Before we do that,” the village Elder began to say. “We must perform a cleansing ritual to present you before her. It should also help quell the curse inside of you, though I have to say that it is merely a temporary measure. There is a sacred waterfall that is nearby that you can cleanse yourself with. However, once you step foot into the domain of the wolf deity, your fate is within her hands.”

“I understand that,” Satoshi said. “If she deems me unworthy, then…”

“She will turn on you if she senses that your character is unredeemable. A Youkai has a better sense of smell than a human, and can determine whether or not the curse is spreading or getting worse. Her supernatural senses are also comparable to an Onmyouji’s, and she has the amazing powers that her kind are known to have. Immune to death, disease, and physical attacks. A Youkai can regenerate from practically any physical wound. Should you win Kohaku over, you will be rewarded with a formidable companion that would help make your journey far easier. Now come, let’s go to the waterfall.”

Satoshi followed obediently behind the village Elder, as her two twin braids swayed in front of her. They made their way towards a waterfall that was some distance away into the forest that was next to the village, and a little outcropping of rock protruded from the mouth of the waterfall. The Village Elder bid that Satoshi strip naked of his clothes and put on a loincloth and headband for the waterfall, which he did so. Then, he stood underneath the waterfall, letting the cool water splash all over his near-naked body. The curse markings from the aragami stood out on his skin in stark relief to his pale skin.

He meditated underneath the waterfall, feeling the cold water splash against his skin and listening to the rumbling roar of the water streaming beside him. He closed his eyes and focused on his breathing, which was steady and even. Once the purification ritual was done, Satoshi headed out of the waterfall, drying himself on a towel that the Village Elder provided to him, before putting on his clothes again. The Village Elder looked him over again, as though she were not yet satisfied with Satoshi’s purification ritual.

“The ritual is performed and done,” The Village Elder said. “You are ready to meet the wolf deity in the mountain. However, tread carefully towards her home; there are steep cliffs and it will be a treacherous journey upwards. You can ride one of the village mules up the mountain, if you wish.”

“Thank you, Village Elder,” Satoshi said with a bow, before making his way towards the pen where the goats were kept. His guide would be a young girl with dark hair and tanned skin. She peered at Satoshi shyly underneath long lashes, which hid eyes that were a vivid shade of blue. The Village Elder gestured to the young girl and said, “This young girl is named Saya. She will be your guide up towards the mountain.”

“Pleased to meet you, Satoshi-san,” Saya said as she bowed, her twin braids swaying with the nod of her head. “I’ll only escort you to the mountain top where the wolf deity lives. From then on, you’re on your own.”

Satoshi nodded. “That’s fair.”

“Let’s get going then,” Saya said with a smile, as she then waved the Village Elder goodbye.

Satoshi settled himself on a mule, straddling it firmly between his legs, before saying, “I’ve never ridden a mule before.”

“They’re surefooted climbers,” Saya explained. “Able to traverse the steep mountain sides and cliffs. Don’t squeeze them too tightly. They don’t like that.”

“All right,” Satoshi said, as he began to pet the mule gently on the head. The animal seemed to be enamored with him, and began to step towards the mountainside where they would be traveling upwards. Saya herself got on a goat and began leading the way up the steep mountainside. Saya had been right about the mule’s sure-footedness upon the moutainside, with a slow and steady pace that Satoshi was content to go along with. He watched as they climbed higher and higher, watching the village down below become nothing more than a dot. The trees on the mountainside stood sentinel over them, forming a great green canopy above that blocked out the sun and clouds and left them in blessedly cool air. While they made their way up the mountain at a rather plodding yet sure pace, treacherous angles twisted and turned among the pathways, though the mules never lost their step once.

“I heard from the Village Elder about your curse,” Saya said. “It must be a powerful one, from the looks of it. Not even our Lady Elder can get rid of the curse that is put upon you.”

“Indeed,” Satoshi said. “I’m sure that the Village Elder is a miraculous healer, though I’m not sure how to mend this curse that I’ve got on me.”

“You’re a Hiroyuki, right? Aren’t you like, royalty?”

“I suppose,” Satoshi said. “Though as far as I’m concerned, we’re both equals. Speak forthrightly if you must, Saya-san.”

Saya seemed to be pleased at this, before saying, “I’ve never heard of an Onmyouji that has part of an aragami’s soul within him. Isn’t that ironic? Being the very thing that you Onmyouji are sworn to protect the world from. Ah, I’m sorry, you’re not exactly all demon.”

“It’s all right,” Satoshi said, before looking on ahead at the winding trail that ascended. “I acknowledge that the aragami is a part of me. Because there is light, there is also darkness. I must always remain aware of that and never give into the curse. If I don’t acknowledge it as a part of me, then I will be lying to myself.”

Saya nodded, and once they made their way to the mountaintop, they dismounted their mules. Saya looked towards Satoshi, before saying, “You go on to the cave mouth over there, where Kohaku lives. I pray that you live and be able to tell the tale of seeing our wolf deity.”

“Thank you, Saya-san. I’ll be sure to treat Kohaku with the utmost respect.”

Saya then turned to leave with the mules. When Satoshi made his way towards the mountaintop, his breath caught in his throat. Pretty soon, he would be facing the wolf deity that would cast judgment upon him. Satoshi never met a Youkai before, he only heard about them through stories from his mother. The Youkai could co-exist and live peacefully among humans, however, he also heard that the Youkai could be a capricious lot and could turn on one easily. They were usually revered as powerful deities, and could take on the form of a human with some animal features, or they could turn into a full bestial form like that of a cat, a dog, a wolf, and whatnot.

Making his way into the entrance of the cave, Satoshi then spoke to the darkness. “I am Satoshi Hiroyuki, son of Kohryu and Akiko Hiroyuki. I’ve come far from the west of Jipangu to seek guidance on how to get rid of a curse that has afflicted me.”

Satoshi then saw a pair of amber eyes staring back at him through the darkness, and a feminine voice beckoned him on inside. “Come in, young Onmyouji. Let me have a closer look at you.”

Once the Youkai gave Satoshi permission to enter inside her cave dwelling, Satoshi then made his way into the cave and tried to adjust his eyesight to the darkness. Satoshi paused for a moment, before saying, “I mean no disrespect, though could I summon my shikigami in this cave? I can’t see a thing in this darkness.”

“Do as you wish,” the wolf deity responded in turn, and Satoshi took out a tag that spelled out his shikigami’s name upon it. He then materialized the shikigami into existence in a whirl of fire, and Feng Huang settled upon his upraised arm, providing light with the flames constantly emanating from the fire bird’s body. When Satoshi peered into the cave once more, he saw a gigantic wolf staring back at him with glowing liquid gold eyes. Tawny brown fur covered the wolf’s entire body, and her maw could easily snap a man in half if she felt compelled to. The wolf seemed to be grinning at him, and then her massive face leaned closer to sniff at Satoshi. Satoshi let Kohaku smell him all over his body, not daring to move or stir his breath out of turn. He knew that he was within the wolf deity’s power, and it would be her decision to let him go and accompany him on his journey or to tear him apart with her great jaws.

Feng Huang also remained as still as his master, sharing Satoshi’s trepidation about the ordeal. If Satoshi died here and now, their bond together would be broken and then Feng Huang would be sent back into the Otherworld where the other shikigami spirits reside, waiting to be summoned forth once more.

Kohaku stopped her inquisitive sniffing, before she then said, “The curse is strong within you, Onmyouji. Tell me why I shouldn’t tear you apart here and now.”

“If that is your judgment, then so be it,” Satoshi said. “However, I have one final thing to say before you devour me. I wish to travel the world to become a great Onmyouji, though I also have a responsibility to the world, as well. The world is changing, as the Village Elder has told me. Mankind is becoming less reliant on the gods and spirits and are forgetting the old ways. I wish to bring back the spiritual ways into the world, and perform good deeds.”

“If I were to let you go, then, you would change the world? One single man thinking that he can change the world is arrogance. Or perhaps you’re speaking out of naivete. You are young, Onmyouji, and my lifespan extends far beyond your kind. You humans live and die in a blink of an eye to me. Do you truly think that you can bring about the change to the world that you speak of?”

“I can only hope to try,” Satoshi said. “Though I know that I can’t do it on my own. I need allies. I would like for you to be my ally, no, a friend. I humbly beseech you that you spare my life and accompany me on my journey to get rid of the curse. If I’m a man not worthy, then you may tear me apart here and now.”

“You are interesting, Onmyouji,” Kohaku said with a great grin on her maw as she examined Satoshi closely. “The reason why I haven’t torn you apart is because of your shikigami. Only a rare breed of souls can summon a phoenix as their shikigami.”

“I tried to summon a shikigami on my own, once,” Satoshi said. “And it has led to me being cursed. However, my mother allowed me to summon a shikigami of my own, despite having the curse, and I ended up with Feng Huang.”

“You are an honest soul,” Kohaku said after a long while. “Despite the corruption that is within you, I also sense an unusual gentleness and kindness of character that is rare among people these days. You also respect and revere the gods, as you rightfully should.”

“I do revere the spirits and gods,” Satoshi said solemnly. “They are the ones that have made this world, after all. It’s a shame that mankind has forgotten that and continue to build over sacred lands and create their weapons. It’s about time that something is to be done about it. I will make sure that on my journey, the spirit world and the world at large are in balance with one another.”

Kohaku then stretched her great limbs, before she reverted back to her human form, with wolf ears atop her head and a tail protruding from behind. Her tawny brown hair stampeded down her back like galloping horses, and her amber colored eyes remained as intense as ever, even when she was a human. There was a certain feral quality within them that marked her as a Youkai.

“I’ll see to it that you perform your duty, Onmyouji. Prove to me that you’re worthy of bearing the phoenix shikigami.”

0