A pushover called Rufus part 1
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oi! Kid! Get those bricks up here," yelled a construction worker

"Yes," Rufus answered.

Rufus climbed a building brought hundreds of bricks at once.

"Kid! Bring us some water. We are thirsty," yelled another construction worker.

"Yes! Coming," Rufus answered.

Rufus came down, took a barrel of water, and brought it to a group of workers.

"Kid! We need more cement," yelled yet another

Rufus quickly mixed in water and cement and after climbed the building again to bring the just made cement.

"Damn. That Rufus sure is helpful. Hard worker. Polite. Ask him to do a double workload. He will say yes, no problem," Said a construction worker," He must be to only pushover in the entire Jacob Kingdom".

Later that day in the evening Rufus left from the construction site. He lived in the capital city of Jacob Kingdom, Jacobstadt. He works odd jobs here and there with minimal pay. As you had just seen, Rufus is a professional pushover.

Last week he was asked to sell some produce at the market and promised a ten percent profit of the sales. After doing a great job of selling the produce the owner decided to give only one percent of the profits to Rufus. Yesterday he was asked to help bring a carriage from outside the walls. Then it turned out they didn't have any horses to drag the carriage. So, Rufus was asked to pull the carriage by himself.

"Well, this day's pay is good. We might be able to get some meat on table for the great harvest festival," thought Rufus," Hope big sister Harley would be able to take it a bit easier in the factory thanks to this"

Rufus turned and started to walk to the eastern part of the city. There was located the slums of the city. Even though the city had seen its better times already the slums were the worst of the worst. A real red pimple on an already ugly face. The entire slums were run by different gangs. The soldiers didn't even bother entering the slums anymore and the rule of the gangs had become the law. Streets were littered with kids without parents and those who had parents were doing all they could to feed their children. Rufus passed by a gangster who was forcing himself on a woman while her children seemed to be watching helplessly crying. You could recognize a gangster from his tattoo tattooed somewhere on his body. It was no uncommon site to see a gangster harassing or even murdering a person for some unknown reason. It was better not to get entangled with them.

"Hey you bastard!" yelled Rufus with a lowered fake voice and threw a rock at the gangster and after that ran towards the gangster.

"Oi, you son of a bitch…I'm gonna make you hold your guts in your hands after a rip your sto…." Yelled the gangster before he was stopped by Rufus.

"Mister. The rival gang's member ran that way. The same one who threw a stone at you," explained Rufus, "Hurry up. He is going to get away or do you want your boss to know that you let your rival gang member get away after he dared to touch you"

"Aargh. Ill come back for you later woman. Since your husband can't protect you anymore your all mine," Yelled the gangster before running of to the direction where Rufus pointed.

After the gangster was nowhere to be seen Rufus got closer to the mother and her children. The children were also terrified of Rufus, and they hid behind their mother.

"Thank you. After my husband died by the hands of some noble, I have been having to deal with those gangsters myself," said the mother and left with the children, "Come along. Let's see if we can find some leftover food at the riverbank"

"But Moooom, there was no food there last time either," yelled one of the children.

At that moment Rufus had left but on the ground was a little bit of money. The mother tried to look around where Rufus had gone but he was nowhere to be found. It had already become dark. He climbed a building and entered the building through the window on the roof. Inside there was a woman with bright blonde hair. She was beautiful and she was just lying on the hay mattress that was lying at the dirty floor. Rufus tried to sneak slowly passed the woman without waking her up.

"Oooooooi. Do you know what time it is RUUUUUFFFUUUUUS!" said the woman coldly without opening her eyes and still laying on the mattress.

cold sweat started to flow through the skin of Rufus.

"Plank!!!!" yelled the Woman.

"Yes!" answered Rufus and took a plank position on the floor.

The Woman stood up. She started to walk towards Rufus. She sat on Rufus back while he was holding the plank position.

"What time have we agreed you'd return Rufus?" asked the woman.

"Before sunset" answered Rufus.

"And what time is it now?" Asked the blonde lady again.

"Well past sunset" answered Rufus.

The woman instantly felt irritated.

"Don't say it so happily" said the woman and got up," Squat position"

"Yes, answered Rufus and took a squat position,"

The woman went again and started to lay the mattress.

"Listen Rufus. I've said to you so many times to not be pushed around. Day after day you do exactly what other people tell you to do. You need to be able to say no to these people. to be able to stand up to them," explained the Woman, "At least you didn't have any run ins with the gangs of this area."

"No sister Harley. That is not true. I threw a rock at a gangster on my way here," said the struggling and shaking Rufus obliviously.

"Hand stand," said the woman annoyingly again.

"ah….yes," said Rufus obediently.

This woman was Harley. she was the adoptive big sister of Rufus. she had taken care of him from the age of seven when she found him in the slums of Jacobstadt. She had taken care of him until this day for fifteen years. She was strict, but fair. she had dedicated her life to take care of those she cared for. She worked seven days a week in a factory to provide for her loved ones. She herself was 21 years old.

"Taking care of one stubborn person is a full time work already but having to take care of an idiot as well on the side is hard enough," sighed Harley.

"He is already old enough. He should be able to take care of himself, "said a girl who came right out of the window.

"Thank you, Haley!!!!" yelled Rufus.

"You are an idiot though. Idiot because you let people run all over you," said the girl in a cold voice.

This girl was Haley. She was 15 years old and was the sister of Harley. She looked almost every way as Harley with her blonde hair and same face. She had been cold towards Rufus for a long time and didn't like spending time with him even though she had been raised alongside Rufus. Recently she had been hanging with questionable people in the slums and other parts of Jacobstadt. She was wearing black clothes with a red scarf around her and had her tied to a ponytail.

"And where have you been Haley, aaaaah? You came later so you have no reason to call anyone an idiot your stubborn mule, "said Harley to Haley.

"Calm down sis. Unlike this idiot I don't work for pennies," said Haley and dropped a bag of money on the floor.

Both Harley and Rufus watched in awe. There was enough money to get by for many days.

"Seeeee. Don't worry sis and just let me take care of things instead of this idiot," said Haley with pride

"How did you get this?" asked Harley pointing at the money.

"That stupid works for chumps just because he doesn't have the backbone to say no," said Haley and ignored Harley's question.

"Don't call him and idiot or stupid. He is your brother. And answer me. Where did you get his money from," yelled Harley and stomped on the floor.

Haley was startled for a few seconds and stepped a few steps back.

"Why do you care how I made this money. I provide for us. If you'd have let me start working sooner I'd had the chance to have earn more by now," debated Haley," And why should I call this bird brain my brother. He is just some gutter runner kid you picked up out of pity who doesn't provide for us no way. Its not like he makes a lot of money"

"Haley shut up," said Harley.

"He doesn't know how to fight or defend us like other men of these streets do, "explained Haley.

"Haley, just be quiet," said Haley but this time louder.

"And its not like he has any friends. All his friends just have used him since he'd do anything if they asked. He is more of a nuisance to us," Haley continued the battering.

"I said SHUT UP HALEY!", yelled Harley, "Take this money and get out. I don't want questionable money in here"

Haley quickly picked up the money he had put on the floor and put it into her pocket.

"Fine. More for me anyway. Ill just go and eat at old man Haufens bar. Heard they still have quite good food there. Haven't eaten out in a while." said Haley and climbed to the window and jumped out.

"Stupid Harley," thought Haley when she left.

"You okay, with her leaving like that," asked Rufus from Harley.

"Well, it's not like I can stop her. Its not like she would listen, and I don't have the power to stop her," Harley sighed and said worryingly, "But anyways how about you. You are her big brother. Why do you let her stomp all over you like that?"

"Well, it's not like I can stop her. And she is right. I am weak and don't have enough charisma to make people follow me or help me," said Rufus with a half-smile.

At that moment Harley hugged Rufus from behind.

"Don't worry. I am sure you are powerful. You are divine in your own way. People are just hollow on the inside. When they are sad and troubled, they feel empty. But you are a special kind of person. You will them up with purpose without asking anything back. You'd do not ask even the same kindness back. But when the right people see what you have done for them, they would follow you to the ends of the universe and to the divine vortexes of Anox." said Harley with a warm voice soothing Rufus in her embrace.

Rufus felt at ease and closed her eyes. He felt that he could fall asleep at right at that moment.

"Thank you Big sister Harley," said Rufus.

"Uuuuuuuh. Why did you call me big sister at the same time you called my name," said Harley and stepped back, "You have a sister fetish or something? Uugh disgusting"

"Well done. Way to ruin the mood," yelled Rufus back at Harley.

0