Chapter 5: The Important Visitor
123 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four months later...

 

The rumours were true. Three months after Libera's visit, General Merlin Xanders of Kwk confirmed his state visit to Hitoshi. He'd originally planned to visit three cities: the capital of Terasu, the popular touristy Bisuei, and the humble Fujiru — home of our prime minister. But in an abrupt and overwhelmingly controversial move, he included the city of Shusokyo — more notably my shrine — only a week before his departure to the nation. We people of Shusokyo felt great excitement and cheer, whilst practically everyone else in Hitoshi was questioning his decision. I have Bery to thank for this wondrous opportunity.

 

'Everyone!' our city mayor announces, 'They have arrived!'

 

Growling, mechanical sounds slowly draw near. The earth rumbles, as a group of armoured vehicles come into our view. These machinations look very modern — each a pair of black reinforced tracks; supporting the slow and steady movement of a steel-plated base; raising an ironclad, triangular polygon; bearing a pair of modern machine guns and an exceptionally long cannon.

 

These vehicles are, without a sliver of doubt, tanks. Their models? I don't see why a shrine maiden should know.

 

'City of Shusokyo, salute!'

 

I stand tall as heavy winds blow through my long, violet hair. Now about five metres in front of us, these tanks and their impressive engineered designs become much clearer. The mayor and I salute, and the rest of Shusokyo follows.

 

Our local marching band plays a new tune with local instruments. The stringy koto and shimasen handle its melody, accompanied by the rhythmic and booming taiko ensemble. Though its musical message radiates a concept very different from my usual taste: the blind joy of patriotism.

 

This must be Kwk's anthem. Because if it were Hitoshi's, I would just leave.

 

'Halt!'

 

The platoon of tanks halts their advance. From futuristic roars of war, followed by a tribunal hymn and celebratory cheering, the city's spirit is overtaken with solemn silence. Gases of steam uniformly fizz from each tank, metallic clangs coming from the frontrunner before me. I look above toward its two machine guns. Azure vision activated—

 

'Guten tag, Shusokyo.'

 


CHAPTER FIVE: THE IMPORTANT VISITOR


~ACT 1: The General~

 

 

Slowly rising from within the leading tank, I'd guess through an elevating platform, the important visitor shows his face. A tall blonde man wearing a black trenchcoat and several armour pieces across his attire. Several pinned medals and emblems are scattered on his top, including a collar I perceive to be intimidatingly large. His cheeks seem to be covered in scale-like armour. On his two shoulders lay a pair of silver shoulder guards, each with a different design; to his left, the reddish engraving of a maple leaf, and to his right, a ferric cross of simple and effective design. But perhaps his most striking feature has to be the pair of golden brown, draconic horns on his head. Quite extensive, extremely shiny, and most definitely sharp.

 

Damn, Libera was right. He is pretty handsome, and not the overly scaly, anthropomorphic dragon I envisioned. And did he need to have horns?!

 

'Rize, are you alright?'

 

I abruptly exit my azure trance. 'No issue, Mikoha.'

 

The Dragonborn general of Kwk makes a high leap. After a few seconds of air, he gracefully lands on the road, right before the mayor and me. His coat flows fashionably from the cool sea breeze, and not a single noise arose from his metallic boots on the ground. He raises himself up and stands tall, seemingly about to send a message:

 

'Pleased to meet you all. I am General Merlin Xanders of the Kamwakan army.'

 

The residents cheer in great excitement. Beings of all walks of life, children and adults alike, could not help but clap and jive. It really has been a while since we welcomed a visitor.

 

Merlin turns to the mayor and offers a handshake, which is accepted beyond any hesitation. 'I am especially pleased to meet you, Mayor Mikoha. I've heard several good things about this city. If these are true, then please, keep it up.'

 

A stern and deep voice, fitting for a noble general. Or, who am I to judge?

 

Mikoha looks at him in what appears to be happy disbelief. 'Well, thank you, General. We do our best.'

 

Done with the crowd and the mayor, the Dragonborn faces me. I conceal a gulp, having to raise my head up high.

 

 

Height difference...

 

 

'We finally meet, Shoukuhana no Rize.' He offers my handshake.

 

From those words, Libera must've told him a lot about me. The funny thing is she's told me a lot about him too.

 

'Likewise, General Merlin Xanders.' I gladly receive it.

 

I sense bits of chattering from the back. It's quite possible that our exchange, fit for long-lost friends, has stirred rumours among the city's dwellers. Bah, people just can't tell between professional and personal relationships, can they?

 

'General Xanders,' Mikoha speaks, 'I believe it's time we take you around our humble Shusokyo. Would you agree?'

 

Merlin eyes the crowd, then the mayor. 'Very well. We shall go.'

 

'If you may excuse me,' I interject, 'Shoku-kami has given me responsibilities to fulfill. I cannot participate in this tour.'

 

Shusokyo's mayor turns to me with a considerate look. 'Do not worry, Rize. General Xanders will attend to your shrine very soon.'

 

The general and I lock eyes once more. He nods, as I do too.

 

'I will be seeing you, Rize.'

 

'Farewell, General Xanders. May you enjoy our city.'

 

With rehearsed grace, I leap upward and summon mechanical wings on my back. Painted green and dashed with streaks of red, this custom-painted piece of technological magnificence is my means for rising to the stars. I utter its keywords:

 

'Blossom, ReisenGear.'

 

Six pairs of flames emerge from my wings' backsides, propelling me higher and into the stratosphere. Looking below — I see Mikoha waving, the crowds cheering, and General Xanders saluting to my departure. This act of mine is my stylish way to escape this uncomfortable public gathering.

 

Sigh, I haven't even had breakfast yet. Did he need to schedule his arrival at seven in the morning?

 

'ReisenGear, wilt.'

 

Heeding the command, my wings peter their embers. I direct myself to the prettiest building at the corner of Shusokyo and dive toward it in a comfortable glide. A quick and moderately thrilling instant transpires—

 

And I find myself landing smoothly on my two feet, right before the preserved architectural marvel that is my shrine.

 

'ReisenGear, fold.'

 

Like finely-crafted origami, my wings fold themselves into a manageable backpack. I swing my hair to release some strands that stuck themselves inside. Facing the entrance of the shrine, I humbly bow. My day has begun.

 

 

——

 

 

Around three hours later...

 

'Rice, check, Otoro, check. Tea leaves, check. Katsukarē, check. Ramen stock, two more hours. Vanilla cookies, check. Relics, arranged. Guest bedroom, cleaned.'

 

I ponder on my completed checklist. Despite how much I've prepared, my anxiety is continuing to overtake me. There's no possible way this shrine can house a whole army. Have I prepared enough food for everyone? Should I force the rest to sleep in their tanks? I have to bet on Mikoha taking care of most of them for me. Oh Goddess, please guide me!

 

'You have done well, my darling. I'm gladdened by your responsibility.'

 

Human Shoku-kami has been watching me since my arrival. The only thing she took care of was the food on her plate.

 

I cross my arms, facing her. 'That's because you didn't do shit, my goddess.'

 

She unfolds her fan, only showing a playful and mischievous glance. 'Oho, is that how you treat your donor of shelter and fame? And were you not consulting me as well?'

 

'Ugh. Fine, mom.' I'm simply too tired to argue. If only Kusogari did most of my work instead of vacationing in Makai.

 

My goddess smiles. 'Come, Rize. Let's have a chat outside.'

 

...

 

Quarter past ten, the scenery outside is beautiful. Sunny, though not overbearingly so. Clouds cast shadows about the surrounding forest, avoiding the shrine it leaves the celestial star to shine on. The river through it flows ever gracefully, as does the wind where flocks of birds soar.

 

'Shoku-kami,' I question, 'Of all the maidens in Shusokyo, why did you choose me?'

 

'Hmm? Had you not known in Makai?' She eyes me somewhat critically.

 

'That I possessed divine potential?'

 

Shoku-kami turns her head to the horizon. Her silence must mean I nailed it.

 

'My Goddess,' I question once more, 'Why do I have divine potential?'

 

'You will know eventually.' She remains, sternly gazing at the shrine's gate. 'You have different priorities now.'

 

I turn to the gate and let out one large sigh. 'Perhaps I should trust you on that. I do not have enough energy to inquire further. Which reminds me—'

 

'Oh, I thought you didn't have enough energy to ask a question.'

 

Curse your snarkiness and silly grin. 'Have I really prepared enough for all of my guests?'

 

'My darling... you've done more than enough.'

 

...Huh?!

 

'Shoku-kami, what do you mean?'

 

...

 

Kuso, she disappeared. Oh, Goddess, I do hope you're not joking—!

 

Wait. That sound...

 

——

 

I hear a familiar rumbling noise that abruptly stops in a screech. Looking to my shrine's gate, I spot the front-running tank from earlier parked before it. The Dragonborn general ejects from the tank, taking one large, hundred-metre leap to reach my shrine's field, and lands perfectly like a flashy manga superhero. Through some uncanny mingling of skill and style, his movement is even more graceful than before.

 

'Hello there, Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom.'

 

My turn to be over-the-top. I solemnly stand on my two feet, then calmly walk with formal prose. About two yards past, I carefully stop — as to let the frantic wind flawlessly flick my hair and sleeves.

 

'General Merlin Xanders. I've been expecting you.'

 

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Rize Hanakotoba

AKA: Shoukuhana no Rize, The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom

Species: Human

Age: 24

Birthday: June 4th

Residence: Shrine of Shoku, Shusokyo, Hitoshi

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 60 kg

Hair: Violet

Eyes: Pink

Usual Mood: Neutral

 

'Is the shrine presentable and welcoming enough? I suppose I need to wait to find out...'

 


~ACT 2: Guten Tag and Konichiwa~

 

 

The moderate breeze intensifies into a great gale. Between us forms a greyish whirlwind — a dust devil as some may call it. Amidst this, he and I look each other in the eyes, sternly maintaining our footing on the ground.

 

Two characters stand, one violet and one gold, free from all command.

 

'Waiting for the wind to pass, Rize?'

 

'Hmm. You and I think alike.'

 

And just like that, the troublesome gale disappears. Both his coat and my robes gently return to their unanimated selves.

 

'So,' I continue this conversational cliff-hang, 'Where are your other guests?'

 

The Dragonborn General looks over toward his tank's direction, extending his arm at it. The sun glaringly shines on his silver, iron gloves; with some moisture from dewfall, a handful of small rainbow rings forming too. He points his palm at the tank and, without a single word spoken, orders it to disassemble into nothingness. Impressive, is this how armies transport tanks nowadays?

 

'In case you didn't notice,' Merlin affirms, 'I don't have company.'

 

Surely enough, the tank's disappearance reveals the empty pathway leading to the shrine. No tanks, no other militarily-dressed men— only the important visitor. Kuso, I really did overprepare.

 

'That is an impressive skill, General. The way you call upon and disperse your tank at will is like a summoner hailing the aid of a mighty beast. But unlike the possible imperfections in their bonds, your mechanical guardian appears much more comparable to an extension of your own soul. You being able to control it on your own, without the need of a tank crew, makes me believe this to be true.'

 

Merlin faces me once more, slowly clapping with his metal gloves. 'You are amazingly perceptive, Shoukuhana. Not a single word you spoke was false.'

 

Indeed, my Reishō tells me all sorts of things. While using it earlier, I sensed a divine connection between the front-running tank's core and the sole being inside. His being the only person within the tank was an unusual sight; I am certain even my nation's main tank required a crew of three.

 

'Shall I take you inside? I have cold refreshments for this warm day.'

 

'Lead the way,' Merlin sternly replies. Though unlike earlier, his tone felt gentler and less formal.

 

And to complement this change, I show him my gentle smile. Cherry blossom petals glide, mischievous winds stylishly whooshing my hair. I do hope he admires my unplanned flair.

 

'It is my pleasure, General.'

 

I lead him to the shrine's entrance. Unlike the heavily curious Libera that spent time looking through my relics, General Xanders is cautiously following me. His serious expression and light steps say it all— if I were him, I'd also try not to break my host's home.

 

'Shoukuhana.'

 

I turn to him. 'Yes? Oh and, just "Rize" is fine, General.'

 

'And just "Merlin" is fine, thank you.' He crosses his arms. 'Pardon me if you have things planned, but I feel like chatting outside for the moment. This lovely breeze is something I've hardly experienced recently.'

 

'Very well,' I promise with the formal aura expected of me, 'Let us sit by the river. These warm winds mingle with coursing rivers.'

 

As to not ditch my guest, I steadily direct him to the stone steps leading to the river. This view reminds me of when Libera cast ice magic for an acrobatic stunt.

 

'Now, if you'll excuse me once again.' Without hesitation, the general seats himself on the stone and crosses his legs, as if he were about to meditate.

 

I sit beside him, facing the horizon as he is. The tough Dragonborn I envisioned is emanating an aura of serenity. His eyes closed, breathing not too rushed — similar to a person in deep prayer. I wonder if he too has close ties with a god.

 

'Rize, what were you going to ask me?'

 

I stretch my legs in a relaxed position, then my arms to loosen my worked muscles. Pardon me for my informality, but this morning has been quite hectic.

 

'Merlin, mind telling more about yourself?'

 

——

 

Our conversation would last for a good while — I know this because of the sun's movement. Previously casting a shadow behind the general's coat, the star is beaming its rays on his bronze horns. Both of us traded several things about ourselves.

 

General Merlin Xanders introduced himself as the Kamwakan's Chief Engineer and General; which is impressive as he claims to be only four years older than me. Though hailing from the nation of Kwk, he isn't a full Kamwan citizen. His Kamwan Dragonborn father married a human woman from Torvèrau, a state in the Kingdom of Chalwick, and settled in Kwk afterward. He also talked about the difference between a pure Dragonborn, such as his father, and a half-dragon, such as himself. There is just so much about him that I wasn't sure if talking about myself would be interesting enough.

 

I introduced myself as an ordinary human adopted by a goddess. Not knowing human parents, a ten-year orphan, birthed during a war — now I realise this combination to be worth worrying about. I carefully explained my title as The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom, in a cross between a lesson and a pitch. I prepared a mental list of things to share for what I assumed to be a formal encounter.

 

But it wasn't like that.

 

'Rize, I am allowing you to be less formal. This state visit may seem that way, but I visited this shrine to visit, well, you.'

 

Through it all, he always wanted to know more about me. He insisted on believing the Shoku-miko and the real me are separate personalities possessing the same body. You may envision how flustered I was from the conversation's sudden change in tone.

 

'Hah... As you wish, General.'

 

Alas, I eventually opened up. Our discussion shifted from mere introductions to complaints about our statuses. Our stark differences in professions did not matter, for the stresses of keeping up our images and being confined to our work were simply overwhelming. As consoling of a person Libera is, she seemed to be loving her job as a "travelling journalist" or whatever. Meanwhile, conversing with this General simply felt therapeutic.

 

'Merlin, I take it you haven't gone out in a while?'

 

'Indeed. Paperwork and engineering take up most of my days. At other times, I have to think about what to do next.'

 

I let out a sigh. 'I get the feeling of being busy. Though rather than participating in science, my spiritual duties are artistic in nature. Performances, rituals, services, combat training, the list goes on. And perhaps my biggest struggle and responsibility... is keeping my reputation amidst them all.'

 

The general smiles. 'Hmm. You and I think alike.'

 

He threw my phrase back at me. So smooth.

 

'Haha, it really is something that comes with being popular. Seems I'm not alone.'

 

'Likewise, Rize.'

 

How intriguing. He and I are more similar than I thought. Here I was, thinking he'd be hardly relatable due to his "General" status and all. I envisioned him to be an overly patriotic, tech whizzy war veteran, not a handsome reflection of my own struggles. Not even my Reishō could see this coming.

 

...Or is he just toying with me? Well to be fair, I felt the same way with Bery when I first met her. What if I release my doubts this time? I need to test this out.

 

'May I ask something of you, Merlin?' I inch closer to the meditating general. 'Well, a lot of things, really. Libera told me a lot about you, but I'd prefer knowing more from the real deal.'

 

Merlin lets out a short burst of confident laughter. 'How intriguing, Rize. I have heard tall tales about you from Libera — especially about your breath-taking beauty. She took quite a liking to your style and, personally, I do as well.'

 

Oh. You two make me blush.

 

'Bery told me about your overwhelming strength and intellect. Your advancements in military technology revolutionised Rethando's means of defence. And, your physicality and skills in battle are said to be exemplary. She mentioned you survived being run over by a two hundred tonne tank.'

 

'Aha, that would be correct. Do you want to know what happened after?'

 

I look at him curiously. 'What?'

 

'The tank broke down.'

 

'Ah.'

 

I stand up. I suddenly possess the urge to destress even more.

 

'Going somewhere, Rize?'

 

'Not without you.' I offer Merlin my hand to lift him up.

 

'Your manners put mine to shame.' He takes my hand and raises himself up. 'What do you have planned?'

 

The somewhat clear sky and extremely refreshing wind prompt me to show off. After several hours of preparation and a happy chat, now is the time for

 

'A duel between the mighty.'

 

The general retains his calm and stern composure. He grabs a coin from his pocket and flips it with his metal glove. Rising then falling from gravity, the coin touches the ground; now embedding my senses are a bright light and sound.

 

That must be one of his tricks. A piece of technology, perhaps? Whatever it is, I'm not backing down. I need a breather for Shoku's sake!

 

'Do you accept?'

 

General Merlin Xanders faces me from the other side of the lake. He looks me with sanguine, red eyes.

 

'I do.'

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Merlin Xanders

AKA: Chief Engineer General of the Kamwakan Army, Dragonborn General, MEXAS

Species: Half-Dragon

Age: 28

Birthday: November 15th

Residence: The Pantheron, Republic of Kwk

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 92 kg

Hair: Blonde, Dark Golden Brown horns

Eyes: Red

Usual Mood: Calm

 

'Rize is exactly like Libera described her to be... I wonder if her combat prowess is as good as she says.'

 


~ACT 3: Tsukigasaku x Lawine - The First Duel~

 

'Let us begin, Merlin.'

 

I ready my stance – a mindful form that relies on reacting to an opponent's moves. Left foot front, right palm grasping my katana's sheath, other hand hovering by my talisman pocket, free foot still to pivot my motion.

 

Facing me is the Dragonborn general, preparing a stance of his own. Confidently crossing his arms, covering most of his body with that long, jet-black coat. Could that garment be some sort of illusory armour? I suppose I will eventually find out.

 

'After you, Rize.'

 

'...'

 

'...'

 

 

The wild breeze returns once more. More cherry blossom petals float with the wind, along the lake intersecting our interlocked gaze. The sounds of nature take hold of the battlefield.

 

'...'

 

Screw it. I'm going first.

 

'...Tsuki.'

 

With a good chunk of speed, I dash at the general and unsheathe my Tsukigasaku. I tightly grasp its handle with my left palm and perform one quick slash. Circling around myself, the blade elegantly creates an arc of light silver in the air.

 

'Rize. I'm here.'

 

The Merlin in my line of sight vanishes. Eyeing the shadows on the ground, I realise he had appeared behind me.

 

I spin around on my wooden geta sandals, about their flat tips like a ballerina. The grip on my blade grows stronger as I perform one swift slash on the dragonborn behind me.

 

Clang!

 

Mere moments after my attack, he summoned a giant, blue blade from seemingly out of nowhere. I can feel its aura from here – it is somewhat freezing, harsh, and overwhelming. Blue particles of divine-like energy are dispersed from its silvery, darkish-blue blade. The letters "M-E-X-A-S" are engraved by its tip, glowing a bright light blue. Just being near it brings about a sensation of otherworldly power.

 

This weapon… has to have been blessed by a god.

 

'Impressive,' Merlin remarks. The blade struggle between our holy steels intensifies by the instant.

 

'Your strength is admirable,' I say, 'Though I do feel you are holding back.'

 

The dragonborn chuckles.

 

'You are very perceptive, Shoukuhana.'

 

Merlin vanishes yet again, except now I have seen manner of disappearing. He left no after-images in his movement – only an assortment of blue particles. No, it can't be super speed.

 

Reishō. The particles are suddenly moving erratically, vanishing from and coming into existence without a trace. Their vibrations ring a familiar tune. An assembled piece I hear every day. Warping the fabric of reality, moving faster than the most observant eye can track, channelling energy like a god's–

 

This guy... can teleport?!

 

'Dodge this.'

 

Observing his shadows yet again, I notice Merlin appearing above me. He is tightly grasping his blade over his head, readying himself for a mighty swing.

 

'Tch!'

 

The speed of his strike is simply overwhelming — hardly avoidable, and simply uncounterable. Quick in my thinking, I narrowly avoid his mighty swing with a perfectly-timed skip. This was most certainly the right move; the force of his blow ended up shattering the ground between us. Kuso, he will pay for my lawn!

 

'Nice try.' I pull out a violet Shoku talisman and fling it at the general. These mind-bending talismans should mess with his nerves for the time being. He would not even think to teleport!

 

...

 

Damn it. He reacted and warped away. What gives?

 

'Nice try as well.' General Merlin Xanders reappears once more, exuding smug and confident air. From him standing across me, it is only now when I realise the sheer size of his sword. Elegant in appearance, blue in aesthetic, one-and-a-quarter times his size, this hardly qualifies as an ordinary sword. Not even western greatswords are this massive.

 

That blade is simply one divine hunk of blue metal.

 

'You are too quick for me, General.' I cross my arms. 'Mind slowing down a bit?'

 

'Mein Gott, it's not like you're any different.' He firmly grasps his greatsword and smiles. 'With my azure greatsword, Lawine, I shall make this quick. I feel this battle is beginning to drag on.'

 

'...'

 

 

Oh. I get it. Because he's a dra-!

 

'Wegfliegen, mein mädchen.'

 

With one gentle swing of his greatsword, he whips up a giant, cyan whirlwind. Some-freaking-how. This storm is massive; I'm confident seven whole sakura blossoms can fit into its wide mouth. Shards of ice form on its exterior — one can only imagine the sheer coldness of this gust. This guy has to have been blessed by a god... no, could it be that ice god?!

 

The once sunny sky becomes overrun by grey clouds. The aerial sea darkens in a frightened hurry, for this storm is brewing with immense fury.

 

What the hell is he thinking? Does he wanna destroy my shrine?! I pull out my red Ariesu talisman:

 

'Red fiery orbs,

 

Their influence shall charm thee

 

Face its tender warmth.'

 

Four floating orbs of flame surround my body. Having warmed my own spirit, I rush toward the icy tornado and pull out another violet talisman:

 

'Divinity in the eyes of mortals is simply uncertain. O Shoku-kami, please give me sight.'

 

The powerful violet aura that protected me in Makai once more envelops my soul. My talismans fade into colourful ash, as divine guidance befalls my own sense of self.

 

'You are as brave as I imagined, Rize.'

 

Reishō!

 

 

Where the-?

 

'And that bravery of yours… has taken you here.'

 

The brightest of white covers my sight. The scenery swiftly morphs — from the beautiful, grassy view of my shrine to–

 

'A cave...? Merlin, where did you take me?'

 

An icy cave?! Merlin, where the hell did you take me?!

 

'I will show you.'

 

The dragonborn general is nowhere in sight. But I can hear his voice, echoing across the mirror-like ice. Another bright white light appears, this time much smaller and farther; a dozen yards away I would guess. This has to be this cave's exit.

 

Mendokusai na... This is Makai all over again! And being at the mercy of another handsome, horny human doesn't make it any better!

 

'Hurry up, Rize. I'm waiting.'

 

I rush toward the shining light, stopping right before it. I feel this curious illumination is yet another devious artifice such as that phony wall in Makai. Surely enough, a voice suddenly enters my head, quite ominously and chillingly.

 

'Sen co hwean flutfle sa?'

 

Its pitch is incomprehensible, its gender is somewhat male. But these words ring a bell; they are of the language of divine beings. Since I became The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom, Shoku-kami taught me this celestial tongue to speak with gods such as herself. This voice asks me if I "desire" something. I presume it's about me leaving this cave. That corrupted and grim tone suggests there to be something terrifying outside...

 

Psh. I've been to Makai. I'd already seen Hell, and become its devil.

 

'El sen.'

 

A stern "I do" in the language of gods causes this strange sensation to wane. My surroundings fade into a view of bright blue

 

——

 

—until they do no more.

 

I arrive in a place filled with snow and hail. The heavens are nowhere in sight, covered by flocks upon flocks of grey clouds. I notice solid pieces of clear glass and white pelting the area. Before me are trees covered in pure white, large branches and tree trunks on the ground, lakes frozen in place — if there were festive lights and a gentler storm, the masses would call this a winter wonderland.

 

The heat of my fiery orbs and aura of uncertainty seem to be keeping myself intact. The unforgiving cold has no effect on my heated soul. Looking at our previous exchange, I need just one more aura to deal with his annoying speed.

 

'Show me victory,

 

O Great Divine Grandmaster,

 

At blitzing tempo.'

 

The maroon aura of exponential speed envelops my soul. This aura of lightning very much excites me.

 

'Hallo, Rize. Keep moving forward and we shall meet.'

 

Without hesitation, I dash toward my direction for a split-second. I find myself in a barren, snow-filled area with a cliffside. Sheesh, if I went for an instant longer I probably would have fallen into a chasm.

 

'Welcome to Gefrölle, Shoukuhana no Rize. This is the realm that my god and I share.'

 

I knew it! This guy is related to a god! But where the hell is he?!

 

'Show yourself, Merlin! As a hostess, I need to ensure my guest is okay!'

 

'Oh, I've never been better.'

 

The snowstorm intensifies. It moves horizontally, blowing toward my direction with immense force. I stick my sheathed katana on the ground and desperately hold on. Then from behind the storm, I take notice of two glowing, red eyes.

 

'The true battle... starts now!'

 

The storm abruptly ceases to a halt. Regaining my stance, I brush the snow off my robes and face a giant brass-coloured dragon?!

 

Nanda-?!

 

...

 

That inner voice I just made...

 

...

 

'Hmm. Is there something I missed about you?'

 

My vision darkens. My spirit steadies into equilibrium. My warm body heats even more. Oh, this is a feeling I am far too familiar with.

 

My heart... is falling. My blood... is boiling. My emotions... are spilling. My life... has meaning.

 

My time on Rethando... has been a waste. My power... has been misplaced. For my beloved Makai... which with my presence I have graced—

 

To conquer this realm... I must make haste.

 

My form changes completely, from the human shrine maiden into the dark-violet demoness. The air of overwhelming confidence and sadism envelops me once more. I magically summon Akumagasaku on my right palm and gently grab its handle.

 

'General Merlin Xanders of the Kamwakan Army, it's true that I was once your hostess. But against you, Brass Dragon of Gefrölle—'

 

Unsheathed, I point its bloodstained tip at the dragon.

 

'I am your Mistress.'

 

 

 

-TO BE CONTINUED-

 

0