Chapter 6 The first floor.
386 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I pass the gate and move swiftly, but carefully through the dungeon. I come across more slimes eating grass and berries. A bit over 600 m from the gate, I find a different clearing, not just clear ground eaten by slimes, but a clearing with vegetable plants. There seems to be cabbages and cauliflower growing on a quarter of the clearing.

'Most likely eaten by slimes and maybe something else ate the slimes, before they finished. I'll take one of each, to see if they are edible.'

I start to move further, branching out in narrow zigzag pattern, to make sure my retreat path is clear. A 100 m from the veg. clearing I slow down, as I notice a contract to the green grass, a bright orange something ahead. 'A bigger orange slime? No…it…WTF… it's a carrot…man/monster?'

A rather bizarre looking creature is in the middle of another clearing. The simplest description of it would be that, it is a 1 m carrot with thin orange arms, holding a long stick.

'Is this the local version of a goblin? I honestly have no idea what to expect, I mean, it's a carrot… a large carrot with arms, but still just a carrot. Let's observe for now.'

I stay behind a tree, some 30 meters distance. I can't make out if it's buried in the ground or standing on legs, due to the tall grass.

Nothing changed after some minutes pass, so I leave my backpack here and move closer. Just short of 10 m, I finally see that it has little orange legs. I continue to observe.

There is rustling of grass, to the left of the carrot man, a slime eats its way out of the grass and moves towards the veg. in the clearing. I watch the carrot man with my undivided attention.

After the slime moved closer, the spear was raised and thrust mercilessly into the slime. Withstanding the first 5 hits the slime turns into a puddle after the 7th. The victorious carrot man moves over the puddle and lowers its bottom tip into the ground, digging in. 

Similarly to my battery, the slime remains get absorbed into the carrot man.

'I was right, the slimes are bottom feeders, the basis of this ecosystem. I have a chance right now. The carrot looked slow and even with the spear it poses little danger. It's distracted right now. GO!!'

I decide to employ the same tactic I first used: get closer, sprint, deliver an overhead axe chop. This time I aimed for the thin arm holding the spear.

I completely sever it's arm in two, as it started to turn in my direction. I grunt and increase the pressure, thrusting once, and winding up in a wide arc, for a baseball bat like swing. My shovel dug into the carrot half way, so I kick down the top part with my foot, Spartan style. The carrot cracked and snapped in half.

"Haa…haa…haa…I eat carrots for breakfast." I move to a tree, to catch my breath and look out for any ambush. I see no more large, orange things around, just some distant clucking of chickens. 'I should find some eggs, if dungeon chickens lay eggs.'

'Our fight was mostly silent. I doubt it had a mouth to make sounds, or other organs, maybe it noticed me because of the vibrations as I moved. It was partly burrowed in the ground, so that's a good maybe? Possibly.'

As I keep watch, the carrot man transforms into loot. Identically to the slimes, the loot is inside a bluish slime bag. 'Carrot man dropped a bag of carrots, what a shocker! The stick is also gone, bummer, I could have tried to use it as a throwing spear.'

Looking at the map, I am just short of 800 m from the gate. 'Ok, that's close enough to my objective. New task, explore a bit wider area on my way back.'  

I spend another hour exploring the deeper area. There are more veg. clearings here, more slimes, and 2 more fallen carrot men. If I step softly enough, they don't notice me until I'm too close.

'I can safely gather leafy vegetables here, but I will need meat very soon. That means going way deeper into the forest, towards the sound of the chickens. Ugh… agile, flying monsters are not my cup of tea. There will be a crapload of noise. A fucking crossbow would be nice. Let's hope a chicken is the apex predator on this floor, and no wolf bites me in the ass.'

I return victorious, with plenty of spoils, and feeling ravenous. "Oh, it's past afternoon already. Time for early dinner."

A quick shower later, I make it to the kitchen.   

"Let's see the spoils… carrots, cabbages, salad greens, oh there is mayo and sugar this time, nice! No alcohol…`sigh."

I packed away the fresh stuff for later and use the things that will spoil soon. An hour later I am seated with a large helping of stir-fry, couple of boiled potatoes and a nice greasy steak, and my favourite home baked bread. 'I am missing only a glass of wine…haa.'

"You know what, I have a surplus of milk and cream, so let's try making some ice cream. I need something to satisfy my cravings!!!"

First I saute the red, dungeon berries and leave them with added sugar to condense on low hear. Next I move to the saucepan to dissolve sugar in cream, remove heat, add milk and cream, chill, check thickened jam, chill everything. Start cleaning up.

I place some crushed ice into a bigger bowl and get ready for the fun of long whisking.

20 minutes of whisking made the mixture somewhat more solid. Seeing as how my hand is tired, I empty the fragrant mixture into a box, seal it and leave to freeze completely. 'Ice cream tomorrow!'

"I must work on my arm strength and endurance, before I rush into combat with something that may fight back. My wild shovel swinging is cool and all, but I need some practice and trained reflexes. I need a training montage."

With my mind made up, I go to the gym, to swing my shovel around for a prolonged time. I deflate after 15 minutes of swinging with all my strength. "Fuck, hitting monsters was easier."  

Evidently I suck at shovel training, as my arms are ready to fall off, after an hour of swinging and stabbing at air. "Right, I should take a few days getting used to this, now that my food supplies can be replenished."

"Maybe this can be a fun new life, if only I could level up." I check the tablet, [Human lv 1]. "FY, I earned plenty of exp to level up at least once!"

I finally ended this long day, exhausted and falling asleep in record time.

---

The next day I've spent training with the shovel and running laps around the HQ. I must be ready for both, to fight or to run, with my tail between my legs.

During lunch I devoured the ice cream like a pig. This is the closest thing to shop bought sweets, that I have.  

In need for more of the good stuff, I make 3 more large portions of cold dessert. "There are some left over jam and cream… a sponge cake is easy and fast to make. Yup, cake and ice cream. I'll get some more eggs soon enough."

Baking the sponge, I leave it to cool, and do some more training. It was a peaceful day all in all.

---

Morning alarm ... (Kokia - Fukurou)

During breakfast I am considering going into the dungeon again. I'm confident in my ability to manage the first floor. The greatest unknown are the chickens, I have yet to see them.

After a bit of improvisation I added a sturdy strap to the best safety glasses I own. 'This should protect me from the most severe injuries, I can take a scratch, but not to the eyes. Probably, I will take a page from the cavemen and try throwing rocks.'

"Ha.ha.ha… like they say, two birds with one stone. I stay safe at a distance and get some chicken meat. Yep, adding rock throwing to my training regimen."

Finished with breakfast, I go for my usual jogging, this time with a bag to pick-up any good looking rocks, for throwing practice.

I relax and enjoy the quiet afternoon sun on my skin. "Maybe I should try making some non carbonated lemonade?"

"Voice: Mr. chef, good day."  

'Oh FY, what the flying fuck?!?!'  

"Valentine: Oh hello there miss Shiraki."

'Why in God's name are you here? You should be manhandling those five perverts right now!! Just whyyyy?!??'

Pov Meiko Shiraki

Lady Mari has been in a foul mood, ever since we discovered that restaurant, in the forest. At first she was lost in thought, but in the evening, after her call home, she was seething with cold furry.

Lady Mari informed me that she discovered a plot by her father, to uproot the whole foundation the academy stands for. I immediately offered to do any task required, regardless what kind of task. I know, how dearly lady Mari may hold the welfare of others before her own.

It is saddening, that her father would plan to bring upheaval to this peaceful academy. Even more so, if lady Mari finds herself partially responsible for that.

'Ah, how I wish to put my physical training to use, and smash all that threatens our normal days, that are surely on the horizon.  

Unfortunately it is a game of falling dominoes and more cunning and elegance is required.'

Lady Mari described that chef's restaurant as a link, in a long chain.

First, his presence has already been allowed here, there is nothing we can do with the past. Second, if students can positively interact with him during the academic year, it will become a fact, that men can be safely allowed on the premises. Third, it may lead to, perhaps, a carefully chosen male student to be allowed to enroll. If that also is a success, the next step would be admitting more male students, and potentially completely disregarding over 50 year of the academy's history and standing. Not to mention adding unstable men into an environment full of ladies.

Combined with lady Mari's general distaste for men, I must weigh heavily on her. She has been downcast and contemplative. 'I wish I knew how to help!'

Two days after, she finally has made a decision. We are having tea in her dorm room and she addresses me with hard eyes and unwavering voice.

"Mari: Meiko, I must stop those vile plans from coming into motion. Will you help me?  

"Meiko: Of course, lady Mari, I will always be ready to aid you, in anyway possible.  

"Mari: Thank you Meiko, I'll have to warn you it won't be fast or easy  

"Meiko: I will stand by your side for as long as I am needed."

"Mari: Very well Meiko, we'll have much work ahead of us. I believe that the long term plan should start with the two of us, taking up the positions of USC president and vice president." 

"Meiko: Ah, I see, the underground students council supplanted many senior roles in the school and holds the position of student representation. You wish to unite the students solely under the USC?"  

"Mari: Indeed, we require overwhelming influence across the facility and the student body, to take effective measures."

"Meiko: Then, what of the short term plan?"  

"Mari: First we will need more allies, at the very least, we will need to fill the position of secretary. And secondly, we need a complete understanding of that chef. Whatever his weaknesses are, his behaviour, how to best make him do as we need. Right now, he is the weakest link we can work with. If we strike the right way, the whole chain will collapse."

"Meiko: If that is the case, please allow me to take care of that. I am certain, I can get him to reveal his true colours, and he will be less reserved if I'm alone. With your natural talents and bearing, it is just a matter of time, before the other students recognise you as the leader.  

I believe it will be best that I work in the shadows while lady Mari may work out in the open."

"Mari: Meiko… thank you for your consideration. I feel honoured to have such a friend. I will do my utmost to expand our influence and be ready to strike at the best moment."  

"Meiko: And I will be sure to find out, when that exact moment will be, and put my whole being into that strike."

"Mari: That is right. Isn't it? Together we will not be stopped. We will protect the academy together!"  

"Meiko: Together, for the academy!"  

'Ah, I will be useful to lady Mari, working together for the greater good. I finally can repay a tiny bit of her kindness.'

"Meiko: Shall I depart for the mission today?"  

"Mari: It will be good to have a head start, if you are eager, then, how about going after lunch. That way, you can get some exercise and observe him in a natural setting at first."

"Meiko: As you say, lady Mari. I will just order some dessert and make him to come clean."  

"Mari: Don't over do it Meiko, your safety and well-being are much more important to me."

"Meiko: I will strive to not disappoint."  

"Mari: Very well. How about we walk around for a bit, to get familiar with the facilities around here?"  

"Meiko: It will be my pleasure."  

'I wonder if she wants others to see us together, because I said that I will work in the shadows. Truly her kindness knows no bounds.'

Spoiler

Gumbat Virvoitus

Rainy Day by Gumbat Virvoitus .

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KPqq9

[collapse]

A perfect noon, spent walking with my best friend, followed by a lovely lunch. It fills me with great joy, to see lady Mari happy and carefree.

I will fight whoever tries to ruin this, even if they are only a puppet being used, regardless, there will be no mercy.

Spoiler

Federico Bianco

A free hand drawing by Federico Bianco

Retrieved from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6azYkn

[collapse]

12