Chapter 37 Boss battle.
119 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bloody Devotion 「Akatsuki Records

POV Meiko

July 30, Saturday. We have gathered to make a final decision.

"Mari: Are all the conventional weapons ready?"

"Juliana: Yes."

"Kate: Has anyone discovered new ways to improve our skills or anything else?"

The answers are all negative, we have stagnated in our growth, complete perfection will require years of polish or a new Lv up to increase our potential.

"Anna: Any new ideas to add to the plan?"

Again, a negative, the plan was refined for a month, covering the most likely scenarios and responses we could think of.

"Mari: Anyone not feeling up to it? This is the final call, we are either all in or we call it off."

Each person gives a confirmation that we will stand up to the challenge, together.

"Anna: Then .. we do it tonight. I'd say get a good four hours of sleep, but I doubt it will happen. A few hours will do. Haaa… anyone up for a run around the clearing?"

Our preparations are long done, so we decide to spend the time leisurely or at least that's how it looks on the surface.

'The unknown is the most terrifying, everyone is tense.'

"Meiko: Lady Mari, would you like to visit the club rooms? We could relax at the literature club room for a few hours."

"Mari: Oh? Would you like to listen to me reading poetry?"

"Meiko: It would be my pleasure!"

"Kate: I'll be joining too, if you don't mind?"

"Meiko: 'I do.' ..Fine, if Lady Mari doesn't mind then we can go together."

'Tch, vixen! Tagging along instead of doing meditation with Risa. Well… between those two options I would have chosen the same, I get muscle spasms from sitting completely still for hours.'

…. …. …

We convened again at 11 p.m., got ready and headed into battle.

'Mr Valentine and the crows must be in the middle of completing phase one. This is your responsibility now, Meiko. Hit hard and fast. Don't let Mari be forced to join the front lines.'

--Phase 1 - Changing the playing field.

Our attempts to tire the monster out have failed. Even after hours of making it chase the crow warriors it showed no signs of fatigue. Our opponent is an untiring construct and unfortunately it doesn't mindlessly charge face first into rocks.

Looking at those results, we've decided to use the boss monster as a road roller, trampling all the annoying snow and ice that impedes our movements.

Geared up and each carrying deadly weapons, we make our way across the winter floor. The usual monsters were dispatched earlier this day and won't be back before tomorrow noon.

These is no need for chatter at the moment. We follow the plan and hope that it will carry us to the end.

"Mari: Val, status report."

We all hear the response on the radio.

"Valentine: No casualties, kill zone clear, surroundings 80% clear. The plan is a go."

"Mari: Roger that, 5 minutes."

--Phase 2 - Taking positions.

'So far so good. Ok, I need to carefully drop these missiles off with Juliana at that position.'

"Juliana: Feeling nervous there? Hehe, no need, no need, a few headshots from this old Carl-Gustaf and it will become a headless chicken. I've got this."

"Meiko: It looks new to me, but yeah, don't worry. We've got this."

"Juliana: Eh, new model, old gun. Ok, that's the last of it. Go."

"Hana: Good hunting Meiko. If anything, call out and I'll be there is a second."

I nod and leave to take my position.

It would have been much easier if we could leave things lying around and not have them digested by the dungeon. Instead, we have to ask Hana to help carrying the ammunition when the monster targets Juliana.

'Unless everything goes well and it dies from eating an anti-structure missile from the start.'

For this battle, Kate has switched to an anti-material sniper rifle, providing us with a constant fire cover from three directions.

I move closer to the rampaging monster and wait for the start of the operation.

--Phase 3 - Testing the waters.

"Mari: Check in to confirm status."

"Strike team ready." "Artillery ready." "Sniper fire ready." "Bait ready."

"Mari: Pins and needles, ladies. Find the weakest spot then bring down the hammer. ... Take the lead Anna, Tai."

'Alright. Fuuu. Almost time.' I keep my eyes glued on the vicious monster, trying to notice anything that looks like a weakness.

Anna and Tai have the best maneuverability, so they start to draw aggro and keep the monster occupied as we probe its defenses.

Tai is like a shadow, flickering across the ground, throwing ninja weapons and going for stabs when its focus shifts away from her.

Anna is like a dancer, gliding over obstacles as if they weren't there, before delivering a sharp thrust empowered by mana.

"Tai: Those dangling things on its head block all my weapons, even empowered with skills."

"Anna: Halfhearted attacks leave only scratches on those armoured scales."

"Mari: Roger that. Beginning Long-range fire, target the eyes in 3..2..1..fire!"

Two bullets and one arrow fly with deadly precision and hit…

"Juliana: Defence not breached, it intercepted our shots. Advise heavy saturation."

"Mari: Change targets, probe every spot. Strike team keep your eyes peeled."

Minutes pass as sparks dance in the air and gunshots ring out across this open crater.

"Risa: The underbelly looks to be more easily damaged. As expected, we will have to hit the joints from the underside."

"Yumi: There is definitely extra emphasis on protecting its head, and the neck looks a tad softer."

"Meiko: We are used to its movements, ready for phase four."

"Mari: Affirmative. Commence saturation fire to clear the defences. TJ, Hana, prepare to open heavy fire and move if needed. Strike team, launch probing attacks, but don't overexert."

'Focus, focus.'

--Phase 4 Immobilising strike.

"Yumi: Greater strength×3."

"Meiko: Greater haste×3"

"Risa: Eagle's focus×3"

Under the effects of our buffs and the cover fire flying overhead, we move towards its front leg. If we can bring it down, cripple or outright disable two of its legs, then victory will be ours.

Anna and Tai are keeping the monster rooted in one spot, dodging with a minimal margin for error. We move as soon as it launches a tail swipe. That gives us a large window of opportunity to move in and deliver a heavy hit.

"Sundering strike!" "Mountain pressure!" "Single sword style: Rocks shatter!"

Yumi cracked the armoured plate, I widened the wound and Risa bites into the flesh.

'Shallow! Too shallow!'

"Juliana: Take cover!"

We have three seconds to pull back, before the explosion arrives.

`Boom!! `Roaaaar!!!

"Juliana: Shit!"

"Mari: Resume baiting tactics!"

"Death or Glory!" "Flurry of stars!"

Once we turn around, we see that the monster has folded its flappy top of the head like an umbrella, mitigating the blunt of the heavy damage with it. There are holes in it, and everyone with ranged weapons is trying to hit its face to blind it.

"Juliana: Second volley! Die!!"

`Boom!!! … … .. . `Rrroaaaaar!!!!!!`

"Mari: Cover NOW!"

Something isn't right, the air feels heavy and charged with mana. We move behind rocks and ice chunks while the gunfire sings in the distance.

`Splash!`Swish!

An almost visible wave of energy washes over everything, with the boss monster at the center. The further it moves away, the brighter it becomes until it stops at the edge of the crater, becoming a dome locked in place.

A moment later I feel a small tickle of my mana draining away.

"Juliana: Ohhh…fuck.. it's regenerating and sucking my mana to do it."

"Same" " Here too"

"Mari: Anyone not affected? .. .. Juliana, launch another strike ..aim at the neck… Strike team, full power. Disrupt it! Hana, move in!"

-Phase 5 - Full frontal assault.

It's not going well, every minute a percent of our mana pool is drained and the monster is healing faster than we damage it.

"Meiko: Break! Damn it! Break!!"

"Risa: Combine the attacks! Otherwise, it's just heeling the damage. Fuu fuuu fuck."

The pressure is building up. Each moment the monster is getting stronger and we are getting weaker. It has switched to defense, swiping at us, keeping the neck and head guarder, while the damage inflicted elsewhere heals too fast.

'No good, no good, we must retreat now.'

"Kate: … Bad news… The dome is impassible and hasn't even chipped under my hits or shots. We need that thing dead or make it let up on the barrier, before we run out of mana."

'Fuck! Damn it, cool your head Meiko! Focus!'

"Mari: Status report on the remaining mana."

"40" "37" "41" "25" "21" "75" "83" "65" "78"

'FUCK. THINK. THINK.'

"Juliana: I have four more shots left, I just need that damn umbrella out of the way."

"Mari: Don't get restless! Keep your distance and avoid the attacks. It reacts too aggressively to anyone approaching its front. Puncture its underbelly and stick a missile in there!"

"Juliana: Roger! Switching position, moving in closer!"

"Meiko: Making a hole!"

It's standing a bit too tall, but there is no choice, we must weaken its defense and punch its guts out!

"Sundering strike!" "Death or Glory!" "Mountain pressure!" "Single sword style: Rocks shatter!" "Sever the heavens!" "Thousand wind blades!"

"Juliana: CLEAR! FIRE!"

`BOOM!! `Rrrrroaaar!!

'Damn it!! We acted too soon!'

The monster started stunning around when we dealt damage and it became too spread out, the shot Juliana fired didn't land on the wounded section.

'It's not enough! Another ten minutes and Tai will run out of mana then Anna then … me.'

..

"Valentine: "Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands and let both be your weapons. For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out. -Saint Sabbat" … Meiko, move in close and boost me up its back."

"Juliana: Fuck you! Stay put! I just need a clear shot!"

"Mari: …Do it, Meiko."

I see Valentine running towards me, carrying only a small bag and a rope. I bite my tongue and prepare to send a person to their likely death.

"Valentine: Towards the neck!"

"Meiko: .. I'm sorry."

I turn towards him, lower my posture, catch his step in my hands and send him upward, onto the monster's spiked back.

"Valentine: Aaghhtch fucking spikes! Hold it pinned for 30 seconds! Fuu fuuu ACchh!"

"Flurry of stars!" "Thousand wind blades!"

`BANG `BANG `BANG `BANG

"Valentine: Like peeling fish scales! You Are A damn mushroom!! Don't get cocky!"

`Roar!! `Roaaar!

Suddenly, it snaps its head open and looks back, roaring at the insect stuck to it.

"Meiko: Yumi! Limit break! Mountain pressure!"

I ignite half of my remaining mana for one explosive strike. It will damage my body, but I don't give a rat's ass right now!

Yumi launches me upwards as I exert my strength over my body's limit, tearing muscle and grinding bone.

'Bam!!!!

I send everything I have into my weapon, catching the descending head and deviating its trajectory enough for it to miss Valentine.

Even before I land, the damn thing starts buckling like a bull, making it even harder for us to approach.

"Valentine: Ffffffuuck! AAAAAAAAhHhHh!!! Gghot iiTt BBOOM!"

`Boomm!! `!!Crack!! `Screech!! `Boom! `Crash!! 'Crackkk!!!

My hands are burning, and my weapon is no longer with me. An explosion detonated on the monster's back, causing the dome to crack and stoping the mana drain. Following another missile, everyone launched their attacks finally downing the monster. I can't exert strength from my arms, so instead, I look around.

'Where? Where are you? Damnit!?'

"Mari: Hana! Eighth quadrant, 300 m GO!"

'Shit! He must have been hit by a tail swipe!'

Hana blasts of as full speed and I follow behind, at least my legs are in working order.

It takes me a minute to catch up and see Hana in a small crater, shoving snow away and pouring her potions over him.

"Hana: He's not responding! Meiko more Potions! Mari! It's bad!"

"Juliana: Force it down his throat! It needs to work on the internal damage first!"

'Right, impact damage, his organs must be ruptured. I need to force it down.'

I stall for a moment, fumbling with my bottle, as the image of his lifeless body grates on my sanity.

I get on my knees and open his mouth, finding it choked up with blood. 'This is all I can do.'

I cover his mouth with mine, sending mouthfuls of potion and air at a time. Doing chest compressions now would do more internal damage, the potion needs half a minute to start the repairs.

'Come on, breathe, live...'

"Juliana: Time?!"

"Hana: 105 external, 35 internal. 2 bottles and 3/4."

"Juliana: Ok, ok, ... no pulse, fuck, light compressions, Meiko, work with me."

We work in tandem, giving CPR and potions.

"Mari: I'm purchasing the portal on the next floor! Bring him down when you can!"

.. "Juliana: Fuu ok, good, I feel a heart beat. Time?"

"Hana: Almost ten minutes. .. we have him breathing again. Coming down."

"Juliana: Probably no brain damage, except for the impacts and the explosion. Fuck you! I SAID TO STAY PUT! YOU FUCKER!"

"Mari: The way down is an ice slope with barely any footholds. We are getting ropes installed. Come down carefully."

Having drunk some of the healing potion, I can move my arms normally again.

"Meiko: I've got this, lead the way, please." I carefully carry him to the cave entrance. 'You are fine, we are fine, a quick dip in the hot spring and everything will be fine. Just fine, no problems, none at all.'

Yumi is waiting for us with a stretcher and ropes.

"Yumi: Healing hand. Mmm, yeah, he is stable enough. Strap him down and lower the stretcher by the rope. Anna will receive him at the bend and send it down the line."

….. …. … .. .

Victoria - Журавли

POV Mari

I sit by the only bed in this building, recalling everything that went wrong today.

"Meiko: How is he?"

"Mari: Stable."

'What else can I say? Brain dead? In a coma? Sleeping? I don't know?' … I choose the most positive response, to not give Meiko any more negative thoughts.

I see a shadow of self blame cover her being and speak out the truth.

"Mari: It was my call, my decision, it's my responsibility. I'm sorry that I've asked of you so much. You've done more than enough to salvage my mistake."

I stand up and hug my crying friend in silence.

"Kate: … He'll be fine. I can feel it if I focus my skills on him. Give it a week and he'll wake up."

"Mari: Are you certain?" I have to know for sure, so that I can plan accordingly.

"Kate: Hm! I wasn't strong enough to do anything about it, but I am proficient enough to at least sense it. Tch! Look at you two, getting all emotional. Where the hell is your look of disdain when looking at a man? At least save it for a tragic moment and not this trifling matter."

'So it will be fine. Good, very good.'

"Mari: Thank you Kate."

She leaves without wasting a moment, probably to hide the fact that she has used up all her mana trying to get a feel on his strings of fate. Running out of mana is a horrible feeling that makes curl up and feel like throwing up for half an hour.

'You do know that it's okay to show that you care? Haaa…'

"Mari: See, you've done great Meiko. We have all made it out alive."

"Meiko: `Hick, sorry, I'll go wash up."

I sit back down for a moment, catching my own breath. 'So Kate has tried to save him during the explosion, no wonder she is running dry on mana.'

"Mari: `Sigh. You should have given Kate the detonator and not me. I have bad luck interacting with men .. who aren't birds. …I'll make this right, don't worry, ..and thank you for fighting for us with everything you've had."

I return to the restaurant floor, finding everyone either sitting around or lying down on sleeping bags from mana exhaustion. Regardless, everyone turns their attention towards me as I speak up.

"Mari: Kate has checked up on him, a week of rest and everything will be fine. I'll call in the necessary things to be delivered and ask Haruka to assist in putting things together. We are all fine, we have made it to the other side, together. It was less than perfect, but nonetheless, good work. … As planned, we will take a week of rest. I'll keep watch on things here, you all have things that need to be done during that time, focus on those."

"Risa: ..I don't need a whole week. I'll stay back for a bit."

"Hana: Three days are enough for me. I'll come back as soon as I can. I can get more training done here."

"Anna: We won't crowd this place too much, but expect a couple visits from us too."

"Juliana: Ffff Oh! I forgot to give the all clear call! Boss Mari can you please?!"

'.. So have I .. It's past 3 a.m. already, hopefully father isn't leading an army here by now.'

"Mari: Right, thank you all. Please excuse me for a moment. I need to make a call before the military shows up here."

I retrieve my phone from downstairs and see a large number of missed calls, last one being just a few minutes ago, and wince.

'I shouldn't have turned down the volume. `Sigh, this conversion needs a breath of fresh air.'

`Ring `Ring `Ring

"Oh….."

POV Chiyo

Something isn't right again. Sis hasn't been coming back as often, and dad is a nervous wreck again. Especially today.

As I get ready for bed, I hear him constantly pacing around. I watch some videos online and it slowly becomes past midnight, but since tomorrow is Sunday I can relax. The constant sound of steps is still present, and I decide to go and check up on dad.

"A.K: Calm down, it's only been an hour, they are fine. Another half an hour .. yes. A bit of time to … come back."

'Well, he is waiting for some news, nothing I can help with. I'll come back in an hour.'

I go for a cup of water and notice that his car is parked just outside, with the ever silent bodyguard sitting inside.

'That .. is troubling.  `Sigh… Again, I'm left in the dark.' I wait for another hour before coming downstairs.

"A.K: They aren't answering.. it's already well past the estimated time.. something must have gone wrong.. we should drive there.. yes.. we should have waited there from the start.. still no answer.. something must have gone wrong.. we should drive there.. now.. no, I need weapons.. yes.. I'll go in and check on them."

"Bodyguard: … Wait."

"A.K: No! What if Mari is injured!… We must go… They are still not answering… We need to take the guns and go.. ..It's already past 2.35 a.m… they should have come back already! … Still no answer… I'll go alone! I must save Mari! Don't hold me back! There is no time!"

"Bodyguard: ..No. Wait."

I freeze the moment I hear dad utter a spine chilling sentence.

"Chiyo: WHAT DO YOU MEAN INJURED!?! SPIT IT OUT NOW!!! BEFORE I BEAT IT OUT OF YOU!!!"

My switch is flipped. I knew that they we hiding things from me, but this is too much. I won't allow them to hide anymore.

"A.K: Daughter, calm down.. please. Father will .. take care of things."

"Chiyo: MAKE IT SOUND BELIEVABLE!!! AND NOT LIKE AN EXCUSE FOR YOURSELF!! I don't care! We drive now! Together!"

"Bodyguard: …Tch."

I get into the car still in my sleepwear and we speed off with little traffic in the way.

"Chiyo: Talk."

"A.K: Everything is fine, she is just not picking up the phone.. I'll call Juliana.. come on, pick up, pick up… Maybe Ms Shiraki..pick up, pick up…"

'Ugh, this is a lost cause. And the silent guy…yeah, silent.'

We speed through the city, nearing the academy. 'Again this place? I knew it! There was more to it! But why does it have to be dangerous?! Damn it sis!'

A foldable ladder is taken out of the trunk, and we get over the fence. 'How often do they do this, to have tools ready at hand!?'

The summer breeze is warm even at this late hour, and I'm too nervous to pay attention to the small things. My stupid mind is coming up with stupid scenarios of what might have happened because dad is not saying anything sensible.

Guided by the moonlight, we make it to the same clearing and building, illuminated by dim lights coming out of the windows.

I notice a glimpse of light on the rooftop, and dad's phone starts ringing a beat later.

"Mari: Oh…."

"A.K: Daughter! You are safe! … Thank the Gods."

Dad sprints inside without waiting for a response, squeezing between the glass doors, not giving them the time to fully open.

Knowing that everything is fine, I enter more gracefully… and feel a cold, heavy pressure.

'This is more pressure than from sumo wrestlers at their peak... this feels deadly.'

I look at the people around, and notice their sharp eyes, sizing me up, taking my measure. I feel my insides being squeezed by the atmosphere.

There is the smell of gunpowder, sweat, blood, adrenaline and more in the air.

"Juliana: Little Chiyo! You are joining us on the sleepover?"

"Chiyo: You smell like a soldier after a gruesome battlefield."

"Juliana: Oh.. that bad? Yeah, I didn't feel like hogging the bath for an hour and was going to soak after everyone was done. Sorry about that .. and the rest too. I'm under contract to keep quiet, so wait for a bit, ok? We are all ok btw. Come, I'll make you tea."

"Chiyo: I don't see Meiko here, is she ok?"

"Juliana: Yes, just freshening up in the bathroom. Give the girls here some space, tonight was a difficult time and they are crashing after an adrenaline rush. A trial by blood and fire, something usually reserved for soldiers ..fighting for their lives."

I sit down and try to get used to this stifling feeling, a few sips of tea and a cookies later, sis and dad come downstairs.

"Mari: Chiyo, I'm sorry, but let's talk tomorrow. It's been a long day, and I need to sort out my head. Father, I'll give you a call when I'm up. .. I better check on Meiko too. Haaa… I need a vacation."

'It started a week ago!!!'

3