10. Confrontation
50 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There are more than a dozen people here. In the same sense that there is more than one monkey in a jungle. That is to say. I can't figure out how many there are. No matter how long I spend trying to assess the situation, it's hopeless. I walk forward into the crowd. They disperse as I break through their formation. At first, they regard me as one normally would, with usual curiosity and rejection. Then, as my initial impression falls off, most of them stop regarding me. Or rather, they are more inconspicuous about it.

I have nothing to do with them. I intend to find and secure the safety of Vela.

"Hmm."

But I do not know where she is. It would seem that I have been put in quite the situation. If I do not know where she is, then... Well, I have no choice. I extend my gaze all around the perimeter in search of anyone. A person that would specialize in information, some sort of scholar, or accountant. I fail to realize that a party does not have these type of people until a moment after. Taking a deep breath, I approach a person. A completely random individual that holds neither a distinct trait nor personality warranting of my greetings, it is simply fate.

"Hello, would you happen to know where Lord Ulis-Felidius is?"

I say those words without emotion or harshness. They are loud enough to reach his ears, but they do not reach his mind. Without so much as a reply, the mage brushes off my advance with a shake of his body. Then without pause, rushes forth and vanishes. I cannot say I expected anything less, but even so... It is a bit disappointing. Seeing no better option, I begin to ask several other people. Time and time again, I am met with the same empty responses.

In time, I see that it is a hopeless endeavour. To say that I did not know what to do would be an understatement. Not only am I in an environment that is completely foreign to me, but I am also by myself. Regardless of what one might think, this is in fact my first time in such a place. While being in the company of mages is nothing new to me, my previous encounters were under more professional settings. Comprised of an exchange of greetings and instructions, they were a far cry from the socialite meeting I am currently in. In order to best focus my thoughts, my ears examine every crevice of my vision. To search for any opportunity of escape or seclusion, I force myself to my utmost limits.

In the end, I am able to find an empty space. One relatively unoccupied by people, I set my destination and calmly wade through the crowd. In time, I manage to sit myself atop a block of white marble. Through yet another examination of this place, I manage to discover absolutely nothing that can assist me. That is correct. Nothing I am doing is of any use. The odd thing is that no matter where you look, that it made no difference.

This whole place is devoid of any room or exit. Even the one that I had entered through is gone. The only answer to my predicament is magic—the root of seemingly all illusion and falsehood.

"You seem to be in some manner of distress."

In a manner that is neither prideful nor condescending, a middle-aged man uttered those words. My first reaction is to gaze him in the eye.

Pale-skinned, charcoal hair that ran down to his waist, and antique wear that dates back several hundred years at a minimum. Those were only a few of the attributes associated with one of his people. For a veteran, the simple honorifics, accent and words they chose could be enough to deduce their identity.

"Yes. I am afraid I am."

I restrain my anxiousness and meet him face to face. Our hands then extend, and exchange shakes with each other.

"Landidus Bene-Rublius at your service." The vampire answered with a softened tone.

"Mayevil," I reply while nodding my head in appreciation.

"So what brings a kindred spirit such as you to this party?" Landidus continued, changing the subject.

"My employer, she goes by Vela Ramelet."

"The Ramelet heiress?" Landidus's eyes widened. "My my, I cannot help but wonder how you got into cohorts with her."

At that statement, the man lowers his head. Before he can mention an apology, I stop him.

"I am not deserving of such well-mannered liberties. You may speak in whatever demeanour you wish."

Landidus chuckles at my reply before nodding.

"Very well then, Mayevil, given your humble permission, I shall try to be as rude and uncouth as possible."

Taking a moment to compose himself, his expression returns to a serious one.

"In truth, I myself have some concerns over this party."

The determined undertone of his statement set tension through my body. "To avoid getting into too much detail, I must ask, how much do you know?"

"As much as a newborn monkey."

Landidus continues to nod. "I see. Though it's hard envisioning one as charming as yourself as a newborn monkey, I shall try."

I give him an approving nod of my head to encourage him.

"Well, truth be told, I was invited here on behalf of a friend of mine." At the mention of 'friend', his eyes narrow. "And frankly, everyone here is a vampire."

"Everyone?"

"Mostly, save for a few special souls like yourself, that is. And to be frank, whenever you have a large gathering of vampires in a party, more so if led by an elf, you know something is awry."

"Is it because vampires usually don't associate outside their clans?"

"Not exactly," Landidus replies, dispelling my misconception. "While reclusive vampires do exist, that isn't the odd thing here."

"Then what is?"

For some reason, Landidus stops himself before he can continue. A moment of silence then follows as his eyes flicker all over. The next second, he yells. There is no way to understand what he is saying. All I know is that the moment after, that an explosion rings out.

4